Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Collateral posted:

It's not terrible, but they "adapted" what many pratchet fans consider his greatest work. The Night Watch.

Why not adapt Guards Guards ffs.

Did they? Just at a glance at the summaries it sounds like while they lifted the villain (or rather, the name of the villain) from Night Watch they didn't grab much else. It's all about finding artefacts to control the Noble Dragon, which is very very loosely Guards Guards?

Of course, I haven't seen more than a bit of it, you may have.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

As someone who never read Discworld and doesn't give a gently caress, that looks like good stupid fun to me.

It looks like a fun romp, but also painfully butchers the source material.

For example the pretty lady with curly hair. In the books she's 40 years old and solidly built. Her being middle aged is important, because at one point the bad guys are going to sacrifice a noble maiden to the dragon and the one they pick is this middle-aged spinster so it's a send up of the damsel in distress trope. Making her young and gorgeous makes her not the same character.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

As someone who never read Discworld and doesn't give a gently caress, that looks like good stupid fun to me.

I tried to approach it from the perspective of an original work but lifelong Dwarf Cherry schooling lifelong Dwarf Carrot on the existence of tall dwarves loving killed it for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So left to right, you have:

• Cheri: dwarf, lived her life in the dwarven mines as male as all dwarves do, upon coming to city and seeing women living as women was inspired to come out as a woman and begin to express her femininity (iron high heels, braids in her beard, etc) despite the rejection and harassment from the 'classical' dwarves. (in the show they've just straight out swapped the trans woman narrative and made the character enby)
  • Angua von Überwald, first woman in the city watch: daughter of aristocratic werewolves, left their lives in rejection of their happy people-eating lives, chose to make her own way and keep her werewolf side under control. The responsible, well put together one, if a little over-anxious because werewolf.
  • Sybil: wealthy, middle-aged, large, stoutly built older lady who's never really lived much, basically cat lady except with dragons, her and Vimes kinda slowly grew together when working on the dragon case and neither really had anything like that before so they're late-middle-aged dysfunctional people figuring this poo poo out.
  • Vimes: grizzled, no-nonsense old-school police detective.
  • Carrot: human adopted by dwarves until he came back to the city as an adult because he didn't fit in amongst all the shorties, ridiculously charismatic shining seven-foot-tall gleaming with muscles hero who gets along with everyone and everyone loves him, and everyone knows he's the rightful mythical king of ankh morpork who would return except under Vimes he doesn't believe in the monarchy anymore.

I really do think this might be a case of them shoehorning a property they happened to own onto an unrelated pitch.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 15, 2021

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

So left to right, you have:

• Cheri: dwarf, lived her life in the dwarven lives as male as all dwarves do, upon coming to city and seeing women living as women was inspired to come out as a woman and begin to express her femininity (iron high heels, braids in her beard, etc) despite the rejection and harassment from the 'classical' dwarves. (in the show they've just straight out swapped the trans woman narrative and made the character enby)
  • Angua von Überwald, first woman in the city watch: daughter of aristocratic werewolves, left their lives in rejection of their happy people-eating lives, chose to make her own way and keep her werewolf side under control. The responsible, well put together one, if a little over-anxious because werewolf.
  • Sybil: wealthy, middle-aged, large, stoutly built older lady who's never really lived much, basically cat lady except with dragons, her and Vimes kinda slowly grew together when working on the dragon case and neither really had anything like that before so they're late-middle-aged dysfunctional people figuring this poo poo out.
  • Vimes: grizzled, no-nonsense old-school police detective.
  • Carrot: human adopted by dwarves until he came back to the city as an adult because he didn't fit in amongst all the shorties, shining seven-foot-tall gleaming with muscles hero who gets along with everyone and everyone loves him, and everyone knows he's the rightful mythical king of ankh morpork who would return except under Vimes he doesn't believe in the monarchy anymore.

I really do think this might be a case of them shoehorning a property they happened to own onto an unrelated pitch.

Lol that picture is incredibly misleading with Detritus the Troll there because they kill him off in the first episode so that they didn't have to bother with CGI for him.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

All y'all making GBS threads on The Watch are missing it's greatest crime.

Death has an American accent.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

All y'all making GBS threads on The Watch are missing it's greatest crime.

Death has an American accent.

what the gently caress

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Appropriate for real life, but not Discworld

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Lol that picture is incredibly misleading with Detritus the Troll there because they kill him off in the first episode so that they didn't have to bother with CGI for him.

I didn’t finish the first episode and now I’m not going to.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Lookit this

Look how cool

Look at the cool CGI we can do in this series

Anyhow enough of that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Anyhow I don't bother with Pratchett adaptations, I wouldn't read the books if Pratchett's prose wasn't part of it so why would I try something on a screen

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Going Postal was pretty good IMO

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

For example the pretty lady with curly hair. In the books she's 40 years old and solidly built. Her being middle aged is important, because at one point the bad guys are going to sacrifice a noble maiden to the dragon and the one they pick is this middle-aged spinster so it's a send up of the damsel in distress trope. Making her young and gorgeous makes her not the same character.

I'd say the bigger payoff at the end is when they realise that Errol's courting the Noble Dragon and not attacking it and there's an implied comparison to Sybil towering over Vimes and they're just awkward.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 15, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I thought 'Good Omens' was pretty good, but it cheated a bit by having a narrator literally read bits of the novel. But now I've heard they're going for a second season despite wrapping up the events of the novel, so gently caress them. Neil lost his god drat mind in the divorce.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I wasn't expecting much from The Watch and I haven't seen it yet. Is it really that dire?

it's unwatchable

worse than picard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imagined posted:

I thought 'Good Omens' was pretty good, but it cheated a bit by having a narrator literally read bits of the novel. But now I've heard they're going for a second season despite wrapping up the events of the novel, so gently caress them.

They keep doing that. I wish adapatations would just end where their source material ends. I haven't checked out American Gods despite loving the book because it looks like nobody is keeping it on a leash to me

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's unwatchable

worse than picard
I refuse to believe this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Imagined posted:

I thought 'Good Omens' was pretty good, but it cheated a bit by having a narrator literally read bits of the novel. But now I've heard they're going for a second season despite wrapping up the events of the novel, so gently caress them.

Gaiman's writing and it's based on the sequel that him and Pratchett roughed out but were never able to organise enough collaboration time to finish (working title was "668—The Neighbour of the Beast", apparently) so I'm gonna give it a chance.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Anyhow I don't bother with Pratchett adaptations, I wouldn't read the books if Pratchett's prose wasn't part of it so why would I try something on a screen

I liked Hogfather, but it came at a really lovely time in my life and somehow managed to hit just the right spot to start pulling me out.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

pratchett uses literary techniques that work only in print, but don't work on screen, so it's not really possible to make good adaptations of his works

the closest anyone gets is troll bridge that you can watch here: https://www.trollbridge.film/

Imagined posted:

I thought 'Good Omens' was pretty good, but it cheated a bit by having a narrator literally read bits of the novel. But now I've heard they're going for a second season despite wrapping up the events of the novel, so gently caress them. Neil lost his god drat mind in the divorce.

yeah, the narration was a smart move

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

pratchett uses literary techniques that work only in print, but don't work on screen, so it's not really possible to make good adaptations of his works

I disagree, but I rather liked Hogfather and thought The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic was pretty good. Haven't seen the other ones though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That's Detritus? I thought that was Dorfl the Golem. Detritus needs his thinking cap with the little cooling fans.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the writers just hated working under Berman and just wanted the show DONE so they could leave. Voyager's home, they beat the Borg, strike the set and let's hit the bar guys.

ok, that's understandable

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ChubbyChecker posted:

the closest anyone gets is troll bridge that you can watch here: https://www.trollbridge.film/

yeah, the narration was a smart move

I bet someone could do a really good adaptation of Where's My Cow?.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Facebook Aunt posted:

I bet someone could do a really good adaptation of Where's My Cow?.

that one could work

Applewhite posted:

I only just learned this existed from this post. WTF they didn't even call it "Discworld." It's just "The Watch."

i'm sorry that people had to learn about its existence

The General posted:

I refuse to believe this.

i'd say you should check it yourself, but i'm not that mean

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral posted:

It's not terrible, but they "adapted" what many pratchet fans consider his greatest work. The Night Watch.

Why not adapt Guards Guards ffs.

That looked an awful lot like it's supposed to be Guards! Guards! to me with the dragon on the loose in the trailer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tighclops posted:

I like that it was such a stupid film they literally called up old Spock on Skype or whatever to ask him how the movie ended and all he did was tug on his collar

Better nate than lever!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

I like that it was such a stupid film they literally called up old Spock on Skype or whatever to ask him how the movie ended and all he did was tug on his collar

Also they can call Spock but not... you know... The police or something?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Tbf I would call Spock over the cops too

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AVAB

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it's funny to watch space seed in retrospect because ultimately all kirk had to do to defeat khan was beat him up with a pipe and khan was pleased at the challenge of trying to survive on a harsh new planet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

it's funny to watch space seed in retrospect because ultimately all kirk had to do to defeat khan was beat him up with a pipe and khan was pleased at the challenge of trying to survive on a harsh new planet

They spend the entire episode talking about how Khan is 5 times stronger than the normal man too. But Kirk does have the superpower of changing into a guy who sorta resembles him if you squint.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

That's Detritus? I thought that was Dorfl the Golem. Detritus needs his thinking cap with the little cooling fans.

I couldn't bring myself to even hate-watch the show, but yeah, that's Detritus. I doubt they had this thinking cap in the show though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Just finished Voyager and the last episode isn't as bad as everyone says but it feels like it's missing a 10-20 minute epilogue and it's ultimately pretty forgettable. Now I have to watch all of Enterprise :negative:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Don't forget the Voyager movie Star Trek: Return of the Lizard Babies where Voyager is returned to the Delta quadrant the moment it reaches Earth, teleported across the distance effortlessly by a hyperadvanced lizard-baby culture seeded by Janeway and Paris

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/BenYourHero/status/1438308346906480644?s=19

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

They spend the entire episode talking about how Khan is 5 times stronger than the normal man too. But Kirk does have the superpower of changing into a guy who sorta resembles him if you squint.

I'm 5 times stronger than my 9-year-old daughter, but if she hit me with a crowbar enough times she would definitely defeat me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Just finished Voyager and the last episode isn't as bad as everyone says but it feels like it's missing a 10-20 minute epilogue and it's ultimately pretty forgettable. Now I have to watch all of Enterprise :negative:

Nothing actually happens in part one, it's just forty minutes of setup, and in part two there is ZERO tension as the new upgrades make Voyager immune to current Borg technology while one-shotting cubes all the way to the Alpha Quadrant. There's no risk of failure, just pew-pewing at Cubes. (The replicated armor's cool at least)

It also leaves a stupidly large question of if the Borg have a corridor that goes straight to Earth, why have they not just pumped Cubes through it until they've assimilated the planet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goblin Craft posted:

I'm 5 times stronger than my 9-year-old daughter, but if she hit me with a crowbar enough times she would definitely defeat me.

I believe in you. I think you could take her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Goblin Craft posted:

pipes were a motif in the first season tos. in the red hour they had pipes with fireworks in them that were used like phasers and spock even said "there's no apparatus, it's merely a hollow tube" and bones is like "it's a pipe jim"