Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chillgamesh posted:

and you're giving up like a grappling hook / auto turret / whatever to do the out-of-squad rez

I fully expect 100% of players to be running grappling hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I fully expect 100% of players to be running grappling hook

You’d think, but the zip line in Hardline didn’t see a huge amount of action, at least not much that was useful. I guess it comes down to what the meta will be - if some other gadget happens to be more useful, then that’s that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i feel like all the portal maps are going to not be in at release

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blue Raider posted:

You’d think, but the zip line in Hardline didn’t see a huge amount of action, at least not much that was useful. I guess it comes down to what the meta will be - if some other gadget happens to be more useful, then that’s that.
It suffered from Hardline's problem of making every single thing a gadget but only letting you pick 2 gadgets so lol if you actually wanted to use that.

Seriously, even turbo boosting was a gadget. That was always free before!

Basically the only time you saw it used was when it was a pickup on the map.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

ethanol posted:

i feel like all the portal maps are going to not be in at release

They literally said those were the release maps though

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I hope eventually every bit of BF1942 ends up in the Portal so we can just outright play 1942 on the new Frostbite engine

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The United States posted:

It suffered from Hardline's problem of making every single thing a gadget but only letting you pick 2 gadgets so lol if you actually wanted to use that.

Seriously, even turbo boosting was a gadget. That was always free before!

Basically the only time you saw it used was when it was a pickup on the map.

The only time I even remember it being used well was on that Arizona trailer park map, and you could shoot it down from a hill into an open motel room door. That was a smooth operation.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blue Raider posted:

The only time I even remember it being used well was on that Arizona trailer park map, and you could shoot it down from a hill into an open motel room door. That was a smooth operation.
Yeah that was the map pickup, it was good fun.

The grapple was useful as a gadget on the bank level to get to the roof fast and absolutely nowhere else.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Have we gotten a beta date yet?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If the game is delayed the beta is delayed I bet

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Okay sold

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Have we gotten a beta date yet?

Current estimate based on datamining is September 22. No idea on length.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm sad there will be no zeppelins or armored trains though

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

We're people clamouring for Caspian border?

I never remember it being that great.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Philman posted:

We're people clamouring for Caspian border?

I never remember it being that great.

It's one with a lot of vehicles and open space to do stuff like play with tanks or harass flying stuff isn't it?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I honestly wanted, over the past 10 or so years, for another company to try to do a battlefield-like. They've all been garbage. Planetside 2 you'll never leave me right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

It's one with a lot of vehicles and open space to do stuff like play with tanks or harass flying stuff isn't it?

Yeah it was great and people loved it

Good mix of vehicle combat in open or urban areas + spots to mix it up as infantry without getting nuked by vehicles

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Lotsa rumours flying around about a delay. Let's hope not eh!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Yes and the big radio tower in the middle and if you shoot it enough it falls over in an awesome fashion and smushes anyone in the way

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

henpod posted:

The delay rumors started when DICE went 10 days without saying anything while Activision flooded the airwaves with COD content to distract from their sexual assault scandal over at Blizzard

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I honestly wanted, over the past 10 or so years, for another company to try to do a battlefield-like. They've all been garbage. Planetside 2 you'll never leave me right?

Boiled down, this is how it works. Its capitalism, so the only goal of any project is profit. The only way to profit is to copy whats popular, or just concede to it. It was CoD for the longest, now BRs. Battlefield style was always second, so theres no profit in trying to be second best to second best. Same reason phones are all fuckin trash because apple keeps stifling innovation, theres no incentive for a company to really push the limits when the mass public are just gonna look at whatever they come up with and go "well its not an iphone".

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

Yes and the big radio tower in the middle and if you shoot it enough it falls over in an awesome fashion and smushes anyone in the way

And the radio tower has an underwater tunnel that nobody ever thinks to check!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

henpod posted:

Yep

https://www.dualshockers.com/battlefield-2042-delay-announcement-imminent-should-still-release-2021/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is that the WTC exploding

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If it's only going to be delayed a few weeks seems like keeping the same beta date would make sense so you can gather all the data from beta to better allocate resources in those few weeks of delay.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
noooooo

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'd prefer a delay to a fully broken game that could drat the game to the grave before people give it a good chance. They got lucky with BF4, though that was luckily fun as hell even with the server crashes.

I just got my first new computer since getting my first proper gaming rig for BF3, so my body is ready.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

while i wouldnt be surprised at a delay this rumor seems to stem from the lack of a beta date and nothing else, so hopefully it's just a fake

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I will play the game when it comes out

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gonna laugh that the technical test was in fact the most current version

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

i hope you have fun playing the next battlefield game :sympathy:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

George H.W. oval office posted:

Gonna laugh that the technical test was in fact the most current version

maybe goons understood technical tests all along

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Unbelievable

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Eastbound Spider posted:

i hope you have fun playing the next battlefield game :sympathy:

Thank you friend I hope you do as well

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Well hell. I guess quarantine will still be here when it comes out in November though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Well hell. I guess quarantine will still be here when it comes out in November though.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1438156985426403333?s=19

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I do kinda wanna say the whole radio silence is DICE over-correcting (as they do) from how they handled BFV where they just wouldn't shut up about it and that whole mess, but we'll see by the 22nd I guess.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

A couple weeks delay would be hilarious as I recall that BFV was also delayed a couple of weeks and was still an unfun broken piece of poo poo at launch.
I dunno where he got his dates from, but this is the author of that delay rumour article:
https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1434237031077621760

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don’t remember BFV being broken at launch just generally bad design decisions. What was wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
When is Battlefield ever not a broken piece of poo poo at launch?