Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Nerd guy from that meme: noooo you can't set dynos it's not real climbing

Chad beard guy: I like to go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Apparently I'm a boulder bro now. I'm only allowed to wear vests.
Must get more tattoos

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Salisbury Snape posted:

Apparently I'm a boulder bro now. I'm only allowed to wear vests.
Must get more tattoos

You'll also need to wrap every joint in your body with climbing tape and drag a hippo skip full of chalk around everywhere you go. Welcome.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lmao.

I bought a bag when gym first opened not knowing I'd boulder 99.99% of the time there and I've been wanting to buy a big ol' chalk bucket for the longest time, but I just can't justify spending $30+ or whatever on one.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I just get chalk out of the plastic bag it came in, works pretty well

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Lmao.

I bought a bag when gym first opened not knowing I'd boulder 99.99% of the time there and I've been wanting to buy a big ol' chalk bucket for the longest time, but I just can't justify spending $30+ or whatever on one.

Buy an organic one, well worth it IMO and itll last forever

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I suppose I could justify it as a birthday gift for myself :v:

Even gonna spring for the Deluxe one with all the pockets because I hate leaving my keys/wallet/phone with my flip flops in a cubby.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've got a big ol' bag of chalk for bouldering but apparently it's different to the little bag of chalk we use for lead/top?? Idk
Apparently I'm doing it right though, I come out of every boulder session covered in chalk from head to toe.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
my gym has basically permanently swapped to liquid chalk and while it kinda sucks on 5% of problems where i want chalk half way through, the air is noticeably cleaner

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

Buy an organic one, well worth it IMO and itll last forever

There are organic chalk buckets and it actually makes a difference?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

asur posted:

There are organic chalk buckets and it actually makes a difference?

If Im being trolled :golfclap:

If not here you go: https://organicclimbing.com/

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

If Im being trolled :golfclap:

If not here you go: https://organicclimbing.com/

This makes way more sense than what I was imagining.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I only buy grass-fed, free range chalk bags. And no growth hormones either.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I only buy organic chalk, no MgCO3 for me

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
I only go to gyms with vegan climbing holds, 100% natural only for me

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Verviticus posted:

my gym has basically permanently swapped to liquid chalk and while it kinda sucks on 5% of problems where i want chalk half way through, the air is noticeably cleaner

Never have used liquid chalk but I feel like I could get behind this.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

spwrozek posted:

Never have used liquid chalk but I feel like I could get behind this.

My gym also went all liquid chalk last year, though sometime this year they also started allowing the chalk sock/balls in your chalk bag.

The air was noticably better with the all liquid chalk. Turns out, when I'm not breathing in chalk all the time my occasional asthma symptoms don't happen!

I still think it is better with the chalk balls and liquid chalk now but seems worse than all liquid. But I am happy to have some chalk available mid-climb now.

Unfortunately, kind of hard to enforce the chalk ball requirement so they basically don't enforce it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I never really understood why people used loose chalk over chalk balls, it seems to just waste a load of chalk and ensure that you have to blow / dust a ton off your hands.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I never really understood why people used loose chalk over chalk balls, it seems to just waste a load of chalk and ensure that you have to blow / dust a ton off your hands.

I don't get it either, reaching down to my sack and giving the ball a little squeeze always seems to dispense just the right amount of white stuff to make my hands nice and sticky

Hauki
May 11, 2010

alnilam posted:

I don't get it either, reaching down to my sack and giving the ball a little squeeze always seems to dispense just the right amount of white stuff to make my hands nice and sticky

:hmmyes:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Verviticus posted:

My gym sort of did that. But then they brought back their own chalk bins and they put a cover on them and there's 2 holes in a plexiglass to get loose chalk. You cannot use your own anymore. They have been wanting to do that for a while to improve the air quality for the employees and it works really well. I'd say 90% improvement in the amount of chalk you see in the air. It even allowed them to remove one or two of the big chalk eater they had.

I completely hated the liquid chalk only policy because I don't feel like liquid chalk works as well and the holds somehow became wayyyy more slippery after a while than when people use normal chalk and brushing didn't seem to help as much. It's like if the chalk was getting deep in the holds or something. It got to the point where some problem that felt easy on the first few days after they were set felt 2 full grades harder by the time they got removed. Anything involving big slopers in particular was just horrible.

I'd rather have my own chalk bag, but I'm ok with using the big bins if it means their employees don't have to breath chalk all day.

alnilam posted:

There's just something magical about putting both of your hands deep into your chalk bucket, overchalking your hands and then slapping them together like an rear end in a top hat. Squeezing a little ball repeatedly just doesn't scratch the itch.

Sab669 posted:

I suppose I could justify it as a birthday gift for myself :v:

Even gonna spring for the Deluxe one with all the pockets because I hate leaving my keys/wallet/phone with my flip flops in a cubby.

That's what I enjoyed the most about my chalk bucket. I could keep all my poo poo in there including a skin file, nail clippers, etc. But now I just carry a gym bag around with me like.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 17, 2021

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

I completely hated the liquid chalk only policy because I don't feel like liquid chalk works as well and the holds somehow became wayyyy more slippery after a while than when people use normal chalk and brushing didn't seem to help as much. It's like if the chalk was getting deep in the holds or something. It got to the point where some problem that felt easy on the first few days after they were set felt 2 full grades harder by the time they got removed. Anything involving big slopers in particular was just horrible.

Liquid chalk frequently uses resin as a binding agent, which makes holds feel glassy really quickly, supposedly. That happened at my gym too, but it's gotten better as people have backed off the liquid chalk.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

Liquid chalk frequently uses resin as a binding agent, which makes holds feel glassy really quickly, supposedly. That happened at my gym too, but it's gotten better as people have backed off the liquid chalk.

dang, that stinks! I found liquid chalk worked really well for me, it stuck to my hands well and I've never liked chalk balls. But it's not worth messing up the holds for everyone else; I'll switch back to the ball

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Tippecanoe posted:

dang, that stinks! I found liquid chalk worked really well for me, it stuck to my hands well and I've never liked chalk balls. But it's not worth messing up the holds for everyone else; I'll switch back to the ball

I'm sure you can find one now that doesn't have resin, just have to look at the ingredients. It was more of a specialty product before the pandemic. I don't like liquid chalk, I have pretty dry hands and by the time I get an even coating of chalk on my hands from liquid chalk I have way more chalk on there than I would use normally.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm watching this video about coordination dynos :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcybemmTms

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

this is sick. this is hosed. im feeling ill and i want to vomit. i am mad and shaking and i cant think straight. you're hosed up.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

First outdoor climb done :sun:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Salisbury Snape posted:

First outdoor climb done :sun:

Woohoo! Congratulations :)

Looks like a nice little line up the left side there. Are there other bolts on the face? I can't make any out in the pic but it looks like there are probably a few other lines there.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Five routes bolted on that face, then four more bolted around the right hand side.
There is a ravine around the corner with some 50m routes and also other routes dotted around the edge of the town.
We started off on a 3c and a 4b then moved onto the 5b on that face. Everything was 100% more difficult because of the 30°c heat but was soo worth it.
When we get back to England (specifically home in Cornwall) we are mostly confident about hitting some of the outdoor climbs on the cliffs.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

This one by Tamoa is pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT8oQPeJQts

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

My problem with coordination dynos is that I have no coordination

Parappa the Dapper
Jul 2, 2003

...and then my toast came out soft.

Sab669 posted:

I was just looking at random photos of a climb out in red rock and I found this:

No thank you.

Beats the Nalgene of explosive diarrhea that covered all of Epinephrine last year

Speaking of Red Rock - I live 10 minutes from the gate if anyone is coming into town and wants to sport climb :) . I can only lead at 5.9 outside but I can hella belay someones project.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Salisbury Snape posted:

Five routes bolted on that face, then four more bolted around the right hand side.
There is a ravine around the corner with some 50m routes and also other routes dotted around the edge of the town.
We started off on a 3c and a 4b then moved onto the 5b on that face. Everything was 100% more difficult because of the 30°c heat but was soo worth it.
When we get back to England (specifically home in Cornwall) we are mostly confident about hitting some of the outdoor climbs on the cliffs.

UKC is your friend! Filter by sport climbing routes and go wild. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?q=CORNWALL&x=-5.048&y=50.265&z=10
Then find yourself a friend with a trad rack and get involved with Commando Ridge at Bosigran next spring, before the grockles arrive.

Have been in Switzerland. Climbed the via ferrata that goes up the rock ridge in the right hand foreground, the snow and rock ridge next to it which leads to the Allalinhorn, and the easy way up the back of the jagged peak in the middle called the Rimpfischorn. I'll have to go back for the jagged ridge because it looks amazing fun. The peak on the left I'll probably save for an ascent on skis because schlepping 5km along a glacier in summer is just a bit too much like hard work.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Endjinneer posted:

UKC is your friend! Filter by sport climbing routes and go wild. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?q=CORNWALL&x=-5.048&y=50.265&z=10
Then find yourself a friend with a trad rack and get involved with Commando Ridge at Bosigran next spring, before the grockles arrive.

My buddy has full trad gear, Bosigran is on our radar for when we get home since it's within pissing distance from us.
There is climbing everywhere for us in Cornwall and nothing is more than an hours drive or so.
Another month or so of reasonable weather and trmhen it's back to the gym for the winter

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Parappa the Dapper posted:

Beats the Nalgene of explosive diarrhea that covered all of Epinephrine last year

Speaking of Red Rock - I live 10 minutes from the gate if anyone is coming into town and wants to sport climb :) . I can only lead at 5.9 outside but I can hella belay someones project.

Was it this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJLN43G6KA

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Would love it if any one of you guys have some ideas for this problem that has been shutting me down hard for a good few sessions lately -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMmkVzPHBo

The first few moves are kinda hard, then the middle of the problem is actually quite easy, all good holds just powerful moves, but transitioning up "out" of the cave is absurdly hard and I have no idea how to make it easier. Even if I climb up an adjacent V1 that's just out of frame and settle into that position I can't even do that 1 move in isolation.

I tried toe hooking that lower left hold with my left foot after I match the upper hold like so;

But it's absolutely no good at all. This problem has been shutting down lots of people it seems, the few people who I have talked to who have done it are also crazy strong and haven't been able to offer too much direction unfortunately.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I think the beta you tried in the video looks fine, you just need to get a bit more explosive power from your leg in order to reach the hold before your body starts sinking.

You could also try right toe pulling into the hold on the right and left pushing off the foot you've tried to toe hook to generate power

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have tried to sorta bicycle it, doesn't feel especially great. My foot is actually flat on on a wall perpendicular to me, but it's just far enough away that I can't really sink into it to help explode off that. I'll try experimenting with that more though.

Took me a long time to get through just the first section up to that big left handed cross over, but then I cruised through the middle and have been stuck on that move at the end. It's just good enough that I can hang out for a bit on it, but bad enough that as soon as I gotta go off it I'm dead :v:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Would love it if any one of you guys have some ideas for this problem that has been shutting me down hard for a good few sessions lately -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMmkVzPHBo

The first few moves are kinda hard, then the middle of the problem is actually quite easy, all good holds just powerful moves, but transitioning up "out" of the cave is absurdly hard and I have no idea how to make it easier. Even if I climb up an adjacent V1 that's just out of frame and settle into that position I can't even do that 1 move in isolation.

I tried toe hooking that lower left hold with my left foot after I match the upper hold like so;

But it's absolutely no good at all. This problem has been shutting down lots of people it seems, the few people who I have talked to who have done it are also crazy strong and haven't been able to offer too much direction unfortunately.

Are you tall enough to press down hard with left foot as you go up for the hold?

That may give you a bit more stability as you maneuver your body? (I'm also super bad at reading beta so what I'm saying may be dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I did see a woman do that move quite a bit more statically, but I didn't catch if she was taller than I am lol.