Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

When is Battlefield ever not a broken piece of poo poo at launch?

Remember BF4 where the servers rarely survived switching maps and usually took your progress with it at launch?

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

what i remember most about bf4 launch is the rubber banding

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

V was fine at launch technical wise. It was just a bad game.

Then stuff like the random TTK changes just made it worse.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

chestnut santabag posted:

A couple weeks delay would be hilarious as I recall that BFV was also delayed a couple of weeks and was still an unfun broken piece of poo poo at launch.

I don't know about console but on PC it wasn't a broken piece of poo poo, it was just unfun

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

ethanol posted:

I don’t remember BFV being broken at launch just generally bad design decisions. What was wrong with it?

If you checked your assignments during a match it was a coinflip whether your game would hard lock or not

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You couldn't change them either without leaving and reconnecting

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1438207882663759880

December 30

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

BF4 somehow made it to launch with buggy or no audio if you used a motherboard with a Realtek audio chip ie like 95% of the market.

And never forget BF4 netcode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwTDrmn9Fqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxxbfFI-W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Jrk5uDycU&t=24s

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I had forgotten about how god awful the netcode was - its worse than i remember

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
There was a way to make everyone's game crash on Shanghai.

BF4 was a mess for a long time.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
And despite all that it ended up being the best Battlefield ever released.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

And despite all that it ended up being the best Battlefield ever released.

No that was BC2

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

kri kri posted:

No that was BC2

Abhorrent. BC2 worried most of the Battlefield fanbase since it was extremely consolfied. The closest to Call of Duty Battlefield ever got.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheGhostOfMW/status/1438231166180630532/photo/1

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/1438232407119908870?s=19

Official

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I still can't believe they kept Noshahr Canal of all maps

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

All the "fanboys" are going to be screaming about this but I'd rather have four more weeks of no Battlefield than see the devs forced into crunch time etc.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah anyone arguing against a delay is dumb. This will only mean the same is better on release and less likely to be a janky piece of junk at launch. Still no guarantee that won't happen though :dice:

The tweet replies are full of them :lmao:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

PittTheElder posted:

I still can't believe they kept Noshahr Canal of all maps

How is keeping a really good map unbelievable?

Anyway I don't mind the delay that much really but "later this month" on the open beta is a bit whack if they want to still have it be in September at all.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Game's dead, wrap it up

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Yeah anyone arguing against a delay is dumb. This will only mean the same is better on release and less likely to be a janky piece of junk at launch. Still no guarantee that won't happen though :dice:

The tweet replies are full of them :lmao:

I mean the delays worked for Cyberpunk

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

I mean the delays worked for Cyberpunk

Cyberpunk's flaws are not it's bugs, but core gameplay elements. You can't fix core gameplay issues with a few months of delays.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Expected but still disappointed anyway. Oh wells see y'all in a bit.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Coulda been worse.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1438235813683343365?s=19

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ethanol posted:

I don’t remember BFV being broken at launch just generally bad design decisions. What was wrong with it?
It's hard to judge because it got an extended 2 week bonus beta with that early EA Access release but IIRC I think the not being able to spawn bug wasn't fully fixed, and there was some weird stuff with the sticky dynamite?

BFV was definitely more solid than most at launch but it also had bugs constantly crop up as new features were added, such as the buggy (but great fun) 4 player coop mode, the ERROR grindstone, tanks suddenly being able to reverse before the match starts and run over everyone, etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yami Fenrir posted:

How is keeping a really good map unbelievable?

Well I went and googled it, I guess it's beloved for TDM, a mode why I simply don't understand why anyone would want to play. Noshahr as a conquest map I only remember as mediocre and forgettable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Noshahr TDM was basically BF3's Shipment, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKQ_ebcm8k

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Well I went and googled it, I guess it's beloved for TDM, a mode why I simply don't understand why anyone would want to play. Noshahr as a conquest map I only remember as mediocre and forgettable.

TDM and Rush were great on Noshahr

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
TDM is for people with brainworms or people who absolutely must grind weapons ASAP. So I just repeated myself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Noshahr is just a lesser Panama Canal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BF3 Close Quarters DLC ruled :colbert:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

All the "fanboys" are going to be screaming about this but I'd rather have four more weeks of no Battlefield than see the devs forced into crunch time etc.

It's just a month, they are 100% going to just have their already-existing crunch extended an extra month lol

PittTheElder posted:

Vanilla BF3 maps were horrible. Noshahr, Kharg, and Caspian were the only ones even approaching decent

The only DLC I played was the BF2 one so I can't comment on anything after that, but Karkand/Sharqi/Oman blew all the vanilla bf3 maps out of the water

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

It's just a month, they are 100% going to just have their already-existing crunch extended an extra month lol

Vanilla BF3 maps were horrible. Noshahr, Kharg, and Caspian were the only ones even approaching decent

The only DLC I played was the BF2 one so I can't comment on anything after that, but Karkand/Sharqi/Oman blew all the vanilla bf3 maps out of the water

Seine Crossing and Operation Firestorm have their moments. Grand Bazaar isn't "horrible"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Firestorm is fine. No worse than any other BF3/4 map for the very obvious split between “this is where console numbers fight and this is where we tacked on a gigantic barren space for 64 players.” The refinery space is good.

Bazaar is okay in the same sense that Locker is okay: they don’t have just a single path like Metro.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just rewatched a couple compilation videos I crudely put together for back in the BF4 days. I played 1 briefly, but completely skipped V due to kids, but rewatching my videos makes me really miss playing with my dudes. Really looking forward to getting back into playing a modern Battlefield. Love being able to kill people in funny ways. Hopefully this will still be possible in 2042.

Mostly jihads and random explosiony stuff:
https://youtu.be/D_EP5Fu87-U

More explosions, SLAMs and UCAVs:
https://youtu.be/kX1WanK5R08
e: doesn’t look like this video works in the awful app but works fine on PC

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

jisforjosh posted:

Seine Crossing and Operation Firestorm have their moments. Grand Bazaar isn't "horrible"

Seine and Grand Bazaar were both giant meatgrinders. There was fun to be had on them but I definitely wouldn't call them good. Op Firestorm was also like 80% dead space

dont sign your posts :smug:

e: regardless of my opinion I came in like an rear end in a top hat and stated it like it was fact, so sorry about that. Also I primarily play CQ and only really played a lot of rush in BC2

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 15, 2021

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

There was one good BF3 DLC and it was Aftermath. 3 of 4 maps were similar in size and gameplay to Karkand/Sharqi and the other one was more similar to Bazaar but with less staring down an alley. BF3 pissed away 2 DLCs with a gimmick of maps being either really small or too big. The last dlc was fine but nothing to get excited about. They tried making capture the flag be a thing but BF3 had too many explosives and not enough transport vehicles to make it work.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Guillermus posted:

BF3 Close Quarters DLC ruled :colbert:

Especially with Gun game Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Battlefield launching the same day as Endwalker and the Wheel of Time show :negative: