Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Only a 30% selection rate for staff this year.

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I've got 3 senior airmen in my shop, and only the newest one made staff. I'm sure this won't be awkward at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fully expect some Early Separation stuff to come around.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do we have numbers on how much retention rose during the last year? We're due for the classic AFPC overcorrection.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Five of the guys in my section made it (out of 7 eligible), so we're going to have a great Friday afternoon when the SSgt results are announced.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
thread is a lot less active than i remember it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

thread is a lot less active than i remember it.

A lot of GiP USAF members left service this year and last, IIRC we have like two active duty members left.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have migrated to r/airforce for any chat because this one is so dead.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Are you in their discord?

It is exactly how I would imagine the /r/airforce discord would be.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

Are you in their discord?

It is exactly how I would imagine the /r/airforce discord would be.

Nope, I’m too busy for any public discords. They take too much time to stay current.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I just treat them like a chat room, not an RSS feed.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
r/airforce was alright for a while, but it's just overrun with memes at this point

Also once everyone gets out and is away from the air force for so long it's kinda like whatever. I have no input on anything current, but I'll tell anyone and everyone signing up to throw pmel on their job list cause it's so loving cake both inside and outside the air force

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

djfooboo posted:

I have migrated to r/airforce for any chat because this one is so dead.
Same

Hotel Kpro posted:

r/airforce was alright for a while, but it's just overrun with memes at this point
Same. Once you filter out the memes, it's still a useful place to get relevant USAF info. Like, way too often official news gets released there even before it makes it to the AF portal.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I'm DD214'd now and I'm glad I got out just in time to avoid having to deal with the COVID vaccine debacle. There's a staggering number of troops and milspouses who are all of a sudden experts on FDA approval and military law and telling my friends that they're all losing their commissions for giving unlawful orders now. The Amn/NCO/SNCO group page on Facebook is going to be a hot mess for a month.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of GiP USAF members left service this year and last, IIRC we have like two active duty members left.

One of them is me. I have one more year left.

Adjustment disorder is... a thing.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

PageMaster posted:

I'm DD214'd now and I'm glad I got out just in time to avoid having to deal with the COVID vaccine debacle. There's a staggering number of troops and milspouses who are all of a sudden experts on FDA approval and military law and telling my friends that they're all losing their commissions for giving unlawful orders now. The Amn/NCO/SNCO group page on Facebook is going to be a hot mess for a month.
Supposedly some bases are conducting mass vaccinations, and have JAGs, docs, and chaplains there to immediately handle folks who don't want to vaccinate.
For fucks sake, the anthrax and smallpox vaccinations were unnecessary and would gently caress one up for a day, yet hardly anyone complained about them whereas the COVID one is an actual good thing. This timeline is the stupidest one

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Supposedly some bases are conducting mass vaccinations, and have JAGs, docs, and chaplains there to immediately handle folks who don't want to vaccinate.
For fucks sake, the anthrax and smallpox vaccinations were unnecessary and would gently caress one up for a day, yet hardly anyone complained about them whereas the COVID one is an actual good thing. This timeline is the stupidest one

Yeah when the anthrax vaccine came out, it was mandatory but they made it clear it was experimental, its insane these people have any complaints other than politically fueled ones about the COVID one.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Just had my final out appt. Now to hang out until 1 Jan and I'm officially retired!

Feels good.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

BULLETKISS posted:

Just had my final out appt. Now to hang out until 1 Jan and I'm officially retired!

Feels good.

Congrats!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

BULLETKISS posted:

Feels good.

I must admit I did get a bit stir crazy on my 93 days of terminal.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What a way to make rank

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

What a way to make rank

Nice

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

lite_sleepr posted:

What a way to make rank

Nice

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

lite_sleepr posted:

What a way to make rank

this needs to be framed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Off to the boneyard you go

https://twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1443215743710081026?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
2000 and 4000 mean those birds will never fly again.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The amount of money saved retiring each of those bones is ridiculous.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The amount of money saved retiring each of those bones is ridiculous.

I love stats, how much money did we save? I know they are mx nightmares.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

2000 and 4000 mean those birds will never fly again.

quote:

Excess of DoD needs (Type 4000) – Aircraft are sold off whole or in parts

Two words.

Goon project.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Let's buy two, one for the island, one for the aircraft carrier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'd rather have a B-52

We'll call it Rock Lobster.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

djfooboo posted:

I love stats, how much money did we save? I know they are mx nightmares.

Millions. We saved millions. I don’t know how many but it’s in the millions. Those planes are expensive as gently caress to fly and even more expensive to maintain.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Millions. We saved millions. I don’t know how many but it’s in the millions. Those planes are expensive as gently caress to fly and even more expensive to maintain.

https://youtu.be/ZcZ8G3oxtUY

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Man, when you think about the amount of money, use, and stress we've put on countless airframes in Afghanistan, and all the forced airframe retirements, it might end up being one of the worst strategic blunders in military history.

Like, up there with Napoleon invading Russia or the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Rekinom posted:

Man, when you think about the amount of money, use, and stress we've put on countless airframes in Afghanistan, and all the forced airframe retirements, it might end up being one of the worst strategic blunders in military history.

Like, up there with Napoleon invading Russia or the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor.

You make it sound like all those airframes weren't already decades old.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The B-52 and Tu-95 will be the last flying things on Earth when the end comes, guarantee it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

McNally posted:

You make it sound like all those airframes weren't already decades old.

B-52s were already decades old, but for our remaining fleet of B-52Hs most of their flight hours has been post 9/11.

Until ~1980 Gs and Hs got left home or on the alert pad and hardly flew. The Ds and Es were the mainstay through Vietnam. After 1980 they were retired and the Gs started getting used more while the Hs still got left at home. The Gs got chopped by the lated 1990s as part of the Peace Dividend and arms treaties.

Now that they are the only thing left, the H's are really getting used. At forever war usage rates they won't last another 50 years. A lot of wear is based on use and not time since manufacture.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 14, 2021

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Whatever happened to Slippery? Did he ghost after he was made as a SQ/CC?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

He posts in GBS still. I try to get him to come to GiP but he never does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lite_sleepr posted:

Basically, but he pops by every year or two.

In addition to the B-52s, the A-10s are going through their second round of wing replacements. The B-1s were teetering on the brink of uselessness 15 years ago, now the AF can't retire them fast enough (so most of them can be stripped for parts). The E-8s are approaching the end of their useful lives so quickly that the AF is going to junk them without even a good idea of what the replacement will be (I suspect the E-3's timeline is slightly better, but not far behind). We actually would've overflown the C-17 if Congress hadn't ordered more jets than the AF wanted. It's not just age, it's hours; in some cases it's how hard those hours were.