Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bump_fn posted:

legit surprised the recall didn’t go through

don't worry, the republican guy was already claiming the vote was rigged before the polls closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
then he conceded

weird poo poo, i wonder when he'll try walking that back

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ADINSX posted:

The Manifesto was published in 1848, towards the end of the industrial revolution, so manufacturing had undergone an enormous overhaul and technology was all over the place: Textile factories, Lumbermills... The telegraph was even rolling out in the 1840s (in fact I found it interesting that the speed of communication was held to the same level importance as the industrialization of labor, something that I never really thought about. Goal 6 in the Manifesto: "Centralization of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the state").

In the span of 50 years we all started working in factories, the skill of artisans was massively devalued, the guilds they were members of lost influence, etc. Technology enabled the people that OWNED that technology to mostly benefit from its use while the users of that technology needed less skill and had less influence.

So obviously, the defining aspect of the bourgeoisie class is the technology of manufacture and communication, something that is still true today: "The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionizing the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society... Constant revolutionizing of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones". (This passage really stuck with me, describing the bourgeoisie like 19th century tech bros). But who is making these revolutionary improvements to production, it sure as hell isn't Jeff Bezos, its a lot of people in this thread.

Maybe they don't go into it because it doesn't matter. The people that build and improve these machines are trapped in the same system as everyone else: "The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honored and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage-laborers"

Maybe, in that developers and engineers tend to be paid well and have more money than the average person you could compare them to small time land owners, but the kulak and the "pawn broker, the landlord the shopkeeper" etc aren't directly enabling the capitalist system of manufacturer, they're just preying on the proletariat. Maybe developers and engineers are too, in a less direct way, I don't know. The difference in my mind is: If we lived in a communist system, developers, industrial engineers, etc, the people that make labor automation possible would have a useful role to play. We could have shorter days, safer jobs, etc etc... Instead of in the current system where some advancement means half the factory is laid off. I don't really think there's a place for landlords and pawnbrokers.

So anyway, I know the Manifesto isn't the end-all-be-all of Communist thought, I just thought that omission was interesting. Also its pretty insane how relevant it seems considering it was written 175 years ago.
interesting. ty

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

polling was all over the place, showing once again that state-level polling is trash

i don’t think that’s true. the closer we got to the election, the more most polls seemed to solidify around a 60/40 split, which is not far from the current totals (ca has a ton of mail in ballots so who knows the final counts).

there was a brief period of time where it seemed close, which probably made a lot of democrats understandably freak out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

a specter is haunting yospos— the specter of stymie

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bump_fn posted:

Newsom being recalled and ending up with senator Stephen Miller would have been funny as hell

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

lol forgot to quote this

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The funniest outcome would have been the recall succeeding and then Feinstein keeling over instantly because she sensed she could gently caress things up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

corrections officers: the people too terrible to even make the county sheriff squad

quote:

A customer who attacked a San Luis Obispo County bank manager in the parking lot after being told to wear a mask has been identified by police as a correctional officer.

The assault took place around 5:45 p.m. on Sept. 3 outside a Wells Fargo in Grover Beach. The manager told police he was leaving for the day when he was accosted by a customer who had become upset earlier in the day about being asked to wear a mask inside the bank. The two men fought, and the attacker fled on foot. When police arrived, they found articles of the attacker’s clothing and began an investigation. Witness interviews and surveillance camera images helped lead them to the suspect, a Grover Beach man. On Tuesday, Sept. 14, the man was arrested at his workplace — the California Men’s Colony in San Luis Obispo, where he is employed as a corrections officer. He faces felony charges of battery with serious bodily injury, criminal threats and a hate crime. The hate crime charge is based on reports that he made “derogatory statements about the victim’s ethnicity.” The suspect’s bond was set at $50,000.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

we are absolutely headed towards a hospital bombing or mass shooting from the horse paste crew

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"corrections officer" is one of my least favorite euphemisms

they're prison guards, or jailors, or just pigs is fine

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we have so much to learn from the past
https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1411856441053487104?s=21

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
telegraph F to pay respects

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cause of death: extreme nut damage. he died in the toilet hospital

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guys pay $150 an hour for that treatment now

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

William "bill" deans was kicked in the jeans

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bump_fn posted:

Read fewer forums where dummies post.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

corrections officers: the people too terrible to even make the county sheriff squad

imagine a world where we held the people that rule society to the same scrutiny that we do the people destroyed by it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/occupydemocrats/status/1438172420481765376?s=21

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oof

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

do not speak to me or my large Florida landlord ever again

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
the libertarian naysayers are all weeping, chagrined and checkmated

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At six foot six and a hundred tons
The undisputed King of the Slums

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
“it’s good that people who are especially susceptible to the deadly pandemic are getting kicked out of their homes, I hope they die quickly” -the democrats

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
turns out BOTH parties are a death cult!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

“it’s good that people who are especially susceptible to the deadly pandemic are getting kicked out of their homes, I hope they die quickly” -the democrats

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

don't worry, the republican guy was already claiming the vote was rigged before the polls closed opened

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sure the tweet's bad but just think of the engagement they're getting on it

$priceless

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i feel like we shouldn't have made publishing the stupidest and maniacally awful things you can imagine the most profitable thing on the internet

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

i feel like we shouldn't have made publishing the stupidest and maniacally awful things you can imagine the most profitable thing on the internet

I'm sure it'll all be fine. lol

Apr 7, 2003

A big lolly smoka treat

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

The entire premise of that article is that U2 are a bunch of colonializer sympathists but the actual problem is that Irish people hate it when their neighbors become successful. lmao

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

don't worry, the republican guy was already claiming the vote was rigged before the polls closed

anybody remember this?

Apr 7, 2003

Stringent posted:

anybody remember this?

No, please fill us in
(not being sarcastic)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
gavin newsome eating at the french laundry, pre vaccinations

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-16/gavin-newsom-apology-french-laundry-dinner-covid-19

Apr 7, 2003

Not sure what to think of that on the east coast where our politicians don't even give a gently caress about maintaining appearances

our leaders are dumb poo poo Society (the film) fucks but the mandates are still a good idea, please excuse the grown babies who can't live without restrictions even while we live under them?

Our mask mandate in allegheny county just got shot down because one of the ladies pushing it was at bars and restaurants unmasked on Instagram. Like, she's a dipshit but everyone shouldn't suffer for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I'm super excited to be careening towards my second winter of mass death. I don't even care, gonna make some fuckin' soup and watch people rush into the wood chipper. I don't have anything else in me anymore.