Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

hbag posted:

i like how it looks eat my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
the most shameful snype

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
is tehre a post your desktop thread

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mycophobia posted:

"desktop"? is that the weird picture that appears briefly in the 0.3 seconds between when I type my login password and when the full-screen browser opens?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

NihilCredo posted:

"desktop"? is that the weird picture that appears briefly in the 0.3 seconds between when I type my login password and when the full-screen browser opens?

Found the Chromebook user

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
use twm on BSD

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

eschaton posted:

use twm on BSD

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I like old computer themes because I can see what I’m doing using metaphors I’ve known my whole life. I hate hamburger menus so drat much.

https://github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0DDQumaaCg

Do it, cowards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhF7i1NXyPc

heh 2013

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

hbag posted:

here's a screenshot from its store page

:eyepop:

This is indescribably need suiting.

Re: old user interfaces. Here I am reading the forums cause I really dont like some of the newer style social media site layouts.

That windows 95 twitter client seems like peak UX and we as a society have missed our shot at greatness.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tfw when linuxers unironically defend using vim in 2021 while also complaining that windows 10 is too hard to understand

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s kind of a hassle to get these themes working on HDPI, especially if you’re trying to use multiple monitors with different resolutions (and the pixel graphics scale horribly).

I have an rpi attached to a 1080p monitor with no scaling and it’s really chill to use. also, because web browsers only support a few tabs before slowing down, I get less distracted and can focus on some real computer poo poo, like configuring Xresources. its the closest I’ve been able to get to the time I really liked computers.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

tfw when linuxers unironically defend using vim in 2021 while also complaining that windows 10 is too hard to understand

I’m embarrassed to say this but I’ve mained BSD and Linux for more than 20 years and never had any reason to use an editor that wasn’t nano or a graphical one (scite, later sublime). I knew how to delete lines and insert them in standard vi (nvi on bsd iirc) in order to configure FreeBSD but it took me until this year to learn vim, which has been pretty useful to know in my day job where I’d just use nano (or copy a binary of micro over scp).

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 16, 2021

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

This is pretty much me verbatim.

I use vim with a bunch of plugins and it pretty much mirrors every neat little trick you can do vscode and makes for an overall a good experience.

Also I feel like I’m lazy so I only have to learn it once and now I’m good for the next 25 years until I retire. gently caress da man and learning editors. muscle memory for life.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmao @ JavaScript anywheee

also does the new sublime kind of suck or what? AUR helpfully upgraded me to v4, which I have not bought a license for, and I really don’t think it’s worth the money if you’ve already got 3. it seems buggy and starts slower, which is not what I want my general scrawlspace/personal pastebin.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
going from i3 to windows and to a lesser extent osx is always a bit jarring

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

It did occur to me that MS is slowly making my life as a linux jockey easier.

I started using a vim plugin that consumes .vscode files that people checkin to projects at work. Lets me clone work repos and make small changes to code I'm not super familiar with without messing up their bespoke spacing and tab setup.

Another example is the Language Sever stuff MS put out. Now my vim editor is talking to all the language servers for the p-langs I work with and telling me compile errors and stuff before I ever even save the file. having been using vim for a decade. It feels super futuristic and slick.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

holy poo poo

quote:

- Chicago95 Plus! A tool to preview and install Windows 95/98/ME/XP themes
Holy poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mycophobia posted:

it's this thread OP

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

yummycheese posted:

:eyepop:

This is indescribably need suiting.

Re: old user interfaces. Here I am reading the forums cause I really dont like some of the newer style social media site layouts.

That windows 95 twitter client seems like peak UX and we as a society have missed our shot at greatness.

nah, now if it were actually NEXTSTEP, instead of a hybrid between a knockoff-Mac API and a knockoff-NEXTSTEP interface…

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

vim is needs suiting

people can use what they want, just leave me my old man editor

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I assembled a new Linux desktop today

I installed Fedora Silverblue on it and then installed Steam and played a bit of Sekiro under Proton. It ran almost perfectly; there was a bit of stutter at first. Don't know if it persisted after the game got going but if it did then it was probably too brief to notice.

Gaming was the only thing I still used Windows for so I really hope that Valve manage to fix up that last elusive 10%. Really not a fan of having an encroaching first-party malware infestation on my computing devices.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I like old computer themes because I can see what I’m doing using metaphors I’ve known my whole life. I hate hamburger menus so drat much.

https://github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95

yep i'm definitely going to need to get this set up for use in screen shares during work meetings

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I’m embarrassed to say this but I’ve mained BSD and Linux for more than 20 years and never had any reason to use an editor that wasn’t nano or a graphical one (scite, later sublime). I knew how to delete lines and insert them in standard vi (nvi on bsd iirc) in order to configure FreeBSD but it took me until this year to learn vim, which has been pretty useful to know in my day job where I’d just use nano (or copy a binary of micro over scp).

same. going on 20 years of nano too buddy

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Captain Pike posted:

holy poo poo

Holy poo poo

I've used the Plus! feature to install/convert all kinds of themes that are also uploaded to the archive: https://archive.org/details/@grassmunk

Also does all the sounds stuff and even screensavers (click the preview).

I use it a lot for live demos at conferences, really messed with folks, especially the zsh prompt.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also does all the sounds stuff and even screensavers (click the preview).

I just became a linux zealot

edit: lol riker is the trash

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mawarannahr posted:

I mostly use nano for simple config file editing, because It Does The Job.

But I do use vim for a few specific things, like prepending identical text to a bunch of file names to create download URLs.

Just ls > file.txt, then open in vim, ctrl+v, shift+g, shift+i, ctrl+shift+v, esc. Done.

Could this possibly be scripted or done in some sort of fancy one-liner? Sure, but I already knew enough vim to just do it like this in a couple of seconds.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 16, 2021

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i like vi

although just this morning i noticed the 'I' key on my laptop has gotten little hosed from hitting it about the most lol

matti fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 16, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

same. going on 20 years of nano too buddy

you mean the gnu knockoff of an open source TOPS-20 style editor is itself 20 now?

I always saw nano like crossing a picket line, it exists p much solely because of a license tantrum

also MRC actually knew RMS from back in the day and didn’t seem to care much for his whole deal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wasn't nano just spun off the alpine text editor, which itself was an open source reimplementation of the pine mail client?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(email_client)

There seemed to be some pretty draconian restrictions on Pine that would make a reimplementation a reasonable step

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

yep i'm definitely going to need to get this set up for use in screen shares during work meetings

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

mawarannahr posted:

pfft that's not embarrassing. i maintain my own Emacs config lol.

vim does kick rear end though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

I assembled a new Linux desktop today

I installed Fedora Silverblue on it and then installed Steam and played a bit of Sekiro under Proton. It ran almost perfectly; there was a bit of stutter at first. Don't know if it persisted after the game got going but if it did then it was probably too brief to notice.

Gaming was the only thing I still used Windows for so I really hope that Valve manage to fix up that last elusive 10%. Really not a fan of having an encroaching first-party malware infestation on my computing devices.

yeah, a few games i play tend to stutter a bit when i first run them, in a way that's super noticeable. i think it's compiling dxvk shaders on the fly as needed or something. after a few minutes it's barely noticeable and after about 10 minutes of play it goes away completely, and it seems to get cached since the stutter isn't there anymore when playing next time

i think right now the only games that i know wouldn't work for me are the ones with really lovely drm or anticheat schemes, which i don't buy anyway

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

sb hermit posted:

vim is needs suiting

people can use what they want, just leave me my old man editor

Anyone using an editor that doesn't use the home row keys for navigation is commiting themselves to a lifetime of pointless frustration for the sake of dodging a few hours of learning.
Same goes for touch typing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

An cruiscin lan posted:

Anyone using an editor that doesn't use the home row keys for navigation is commiting themselves to a lifetime of pointless frustration for the sake of dodging a few hours of learning.

learn to just write poo poo correctly without jumping around the file all day you loving noob.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

An cruiscin lan posted:

If you're moving around 1 character at a time in vim you are leaving a lot of speed on the table

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

Dont Touch ME posted:

If you're moving around 1 character at a time in vim you are leaving a lot of speed on the table

Sorry, should have said the home row and it's surrounds. You know what I mean though. It's like trying to dig a hole with the wrong end of a shovel.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah, i see it's that time of the month where the thread title is again accurate

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

linux is about choice, meaning linux is about forcing my choices on everyone else as gospel

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

learn to just write poo poo correctly without jumping around the file all day you loving noob.

Yah sure, I'll just start this hardware + sofware integration on line 1 and finish on line 2000. No problem
Of course if I need to change position I can just take my hand off the keyboard and use the mouse to click in the general area of where I need to be, then take my hand off the mouse and use the cursor keys to navigate on a per character basis until I'm in the right position then return my hand to the keyboard. Great.. that doesn't break my concentration at all..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

arrow keys are fine, mouse integration is fine, work sucks, get over yourselves