Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pentyne posted:

she's now hitched her entire identity to the right wing and claimed all the bad things that have happened to her have been from democrats.

It's not diluting so much as completely drowning it.

She's probably not wrong on that point because Hollywood is almost entirely liberal so I'm sure plenty of the dirtbags going around assaulting and exploiting people vote democrat every four years (the pictures of Weinstein with Clinton and Obama are really on the nose). Rich people are bad.

ImpAtom posted:

You... are aware that there are literal bucketloads of pictures of GOP politicians with him as well, right?

You're not wrong but Harvey Weinstein is a hardcore democrat. Liberals are trash.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also, Tara Reade. Democrats have no credibility on this topic, or should not.

Republicans are obviously hypocrites, but that's barely worth even trying to point out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dunno why she went off about teachers tho. Thats the only thing I find objectionable here

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pentyne posted:

she's now hitched her entire identity to the right wing and claimed all the bad things that have happened to her have been from democrats.

In this case it is literally true that every bad thing that has happened to her has been from a prominent democrat

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1437370752664313857

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pentyne posted:

She's a terf who tried to gatekeep MeToo from the beginning. If anything it was the good points she was making diluting who she really was.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
james bond killed Jeffrey epstein

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She's a terf who tried to gatekeep MeToo from the beginning. If anything it was the good points she was making diluting who she really was.

Gatekeep from who? The people who ditched it when Joe Biden got accused of rape?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are you confusing her with Alyssa Milano?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

You... are aware that there are literal bucketloads of pictures of GOP politicians with him as well, right?

Weinstein was a massive democratic fundraiser up through Hillary Clinton's 2016 run. He was hosting fundraiser dinners for her (like $1500 a plate type deals) and the DNC like a week before that Ronan Farrow New Yorker article dropped.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In this case it is literally true that every bad thing that has happened to her has been from a prominent democrat

Yep

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah it’s totally this and not every single person who has abused and hurt her being a Democrat.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As far as I can tell, she repudiated all of her TERFish views. Doesn't make them not-lovely and between that and supporting Larry Elder I can certainly understand skepticism towards her, but I don't think she's currently a TERF, certainly not to the extent where she's actively using her energy and money to push that cause. Mind you, I forgot about the existence of Rose McGowan until now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nucleic Acids posted:

Yeah it’s totally this and not every single person who has abused and hurt her being a Democrat.

That absolutely is the cause, my point is that people shouldn't be surprised that a woman hesitant to signal boost stories from women of color and refused to acknowledge sexual harassment from trans women comes out in favor of a hard right republican in a speech that claims black people are the real source of racism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Weinstein was a massive democratic fundraiser up through Hillary Clinton's 2016 run. He was hosting fundraiser dinners for her (like $1500 a plate type deals) and the DNC like a week before that Ronan Farrow New Yorker article dropped.

I am aware. "Literally every bad thing is the Democrats fault so it makes sense to latch yourself to a horrifying Republican" is not a viewpoint that makes any sense at all.

It has nothing to do with her reestablish shittiness towards women of color or trans individuals I'm sure.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 13, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It kinda does tho. It’s not a view that you get through critical thinking or actual thought but it makes sense. “This side bad, I go to other side. World is black and white.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

I am aware. "Literally every bad thing is the Democrats fault so it makes sense to latch yourself to a horrifying Republican" is not a viewpoint that makes any sense at all.

Good thing no one said that. Rose McGowan said everything bad that happened to her was done by a Democrat, and that is probably true

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It kinda does tho. It’s not a view that you get through critical thinking or actual thought but it makes sense. “This side bad, I go to other side. World is black and white.”

This does not make sense in a world where the other side is movie and television star (and friend of Weinstein) Donald Trump. This isn't a "two sides" situation and trying to frame it as "all 5hose evil Hollywood liberals forced her too" requires ignoring that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Good thing no one said that. Rose McGowan said everything bad that happened to her was done by a Democrat, and that is probably true

Being made at the communists for what they did to you and sidling up to the nazis calling them heroes still isn't a good look.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Being made at the communists for what they did to you and sidling up to the nazis calling them heroes still isn't a good look.

Good thing Rose McGowan isn't a Nazi spy in the 40s either.

Larry Elder is a loving lovely human and shouldn't be governor of California, if this is the scandal that makes that happen, it's the loving Democrat's fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nm. Misread

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Larry Elder is indeed a lovely human being but he isn't governor of California.

Yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

This does not make sense in a world where the other side is movie and television star (and friend of Weinstein) Donald Trump. This isn't a "two sides" situation and trying to frame it as "all 5hose evil Hollywood liberals forced her too" requires ignoring that.

You’re thinking too hard on this (which is good!).

It’s just this side bad therefore I go to the other side. It’s very common with average people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty sure McGowan is only allying with Elder here because every single ostensibly liberal news outlet and authority is busy trying to save Newsom’s rear end from getting recalled, and already made the calculation that they didn’t want to give airtime to a story that could sink gavin for good because they care more about team sports than morality

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but she also said that Larry Elder would be a better, more trustworthy governor for California and I think everybody here—no matter how they feel about democrats—would agree that that’s very untrue

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Pretty sure McGowan is only allying with Elder here because every single ostensibly liberal news outlet and authority is busy trying to save Newsom’s rear end from getting recalled, and already made the calculation that they didn’t want to give airtime to a story that could sink gavin for good because they care more about team sports than morality

Yes, a man who wants to ban abortion and outlaw mask+vax mandates in schools is the moral choice, it’s only team sports beep boop

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 13, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah sorry I misread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, but she also said that Larry Elder would be a better, more trustworthy governor for California and I think everybody here—no matter how they feel about democrats—would agree that that’s very untrue

Yes, a man who wants to ban abortion and outlaw mask+vax mandates in schools is the moral choice, it’s only team sports beep boop

Yeah, that's loving terrible, Larry Elder would be a much much worse governor of California than Gavin Newsome. If Diane Fienstein dies before her next election Elder will flip the loving Senate, among the other things he would do .

also

Skwirl posted:

Larry Elder is a loving lovely human and shouldn't be governor of California, if this is the scandal that makes that happen, it's the loving Democrat's fault.

This is a bed that California democrats made for themselves.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure this is at least one anime.

Also comes to mind the discussion over how the MCU has become so relatively sexless since around the first Avengers. On top of rather missed opportunities given the entire point of a superhero movie is casting an all-star lineup of hunks, rather missing a dimension of characterisation to have all these loose love interest plots without actually going into the characters' approach towards and relationship with sexuality.

Of course, I think it's just writers suck so much at writing romantic subplots that once the old playbook has been thrown out for being extremely problematic, they're lost and just gave up.

The fact that they never had Black widow and Steve bang, realize they were better friends and show a relationship of close friends that hosed and then are just friends will never not piss me off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Outside of like one month of "maybe Larry can do this after all," this recall has been a joke with no realistic chance of success. If the LIBERAL NEWS MEDIA is busy going to work for Gavin, they did as much or more work to make him look more vulnerable than he actually is to a right-wing crackpot candidate. It's been unclear from the beginning what amazing Republican candidate was waiting in the wings to replace Newsom, and it ended up being a choice between reality TV stars and a radio host, which is what passes for leadership in a state GOP that is very diminished from its heyday as California gentrifies further and further.

In any case, hitching your cause to the falling star of a conservative radio host will do nothing to deliver you or anyone else justice. It's become that much easier for all these liberal power brokers to ignore her, in California and everywhere else. There are no evil Democrats quaking in fear that their moment has come.

It's not even really a political issue in the first place. The Epstein-tier people are united by their plutocracy, not their politics.

Box of Bunnies posted:

one wonders where she got that idea from

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

As far as I can tell, she repudiated all of her TERFish views. Doesn't make them not-lovely and between that and supporting Larry Elder I can certainly understand skepticism towards her, but I don't think she's currently a TERF, certainly not to the extent where she's actively using her energy and money to push that cause. Mind you, I forgot about the existence of Rose McGowan until now.

A leopard never changes its spots. Especially one that joins herself at the hip to a noted transphobe (among other such failings).

Aside from that:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/02/politics/kfile-larry-elder-sexual-harassment-allegations/index.html

I'm sorry Rose McGowan had to endure all sorts of lovely things, and god knows what else. On the other hand, if she doesn't understand how criticising one side over allegations of sexual misconduct to varying degrees, credible or otherwise, and then hitching her wagon to a guy who has similar allegations against him - not to mention the fact that he's likely a domestic abuser - undermines whatever she has to say, then I don't know what anyone can tell her.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

A leopard never changes its spots. Especially one that joins herself at the hip to a noted transphobe (among other such failings).

Aside from that:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/02/politics/kfile-larry-elder-sexual-harassment-allegations/index.html

I'm sorry Rose McGowan had to endure all sorts of lovely things, and god knows what else. On the other hand, if she doesn't understand how criticising one side over allegations of sexual misconduct to varying degrees, credible or otherwise, and then hitching her wagon to a guy who has similar allegations against him - not to mention the fact that he's likely a domestic abuser - undermines whatever she has to say, then I don't know what anyone can tell her.

There's a lot more active chat about it in the CA thread but this sort of best sums up the whole problem

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's fine to say that scummy Dems are bad on MeToo and sometimes even help abusers (Anita Dunn comes to mind, or the HRC chief.)

It's another thing to stump for a vigorously misogynist Republican out of spite. The guy literally said women should let men abuse them at work. There is no excuse for this poo poo. No one should be making excuses for her.

Sanguinia posted:

This. People who make excuses for these people who turn their abuse and by proxy the abuse of every other woman into a partisan weapon explicitly in support of the party that is trying to make every American into a sheriff that polices women's vaginas for a cash bounty should be ashamed of themselves.

Attacking blatant hypocrisy is good. Attacking guilty individuals is good. Attacking the Democratic party is dumb but at least understandable, even if its silly to blame an entire political party and every person that votes for it because of your personal bad experiences with people who self-identify with that party. Becoming an active partisan for fascists is never acceptable, understandable or even forgivable. Once you cross that line, you can gently caress off.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/california-recall-polls/

I have a feeling it won't happen. Elder's already trying to claim election fraud.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

You’re thinking too hard on this (which is good!).

It’s just this side bad therefore I go to the other side. It’s very common with average people.

Yeah, people do it with Democrats all the time (e.g. everyone who defends Biden from being a Rapist).

It's a dumb and terrible decision, but people do it all the time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Elder lost bigly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
:sad:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1437843317857796098?s=20

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Elder lost bigly.

Big league.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Elder lost bigly.

This thread is for sexual assault, not Elder abuse.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This was posted in the Norm MacDonald tribute thread in GBS, and the thread starter promptly shut the thread.

https://twitter.com/Mollyissilly/status/1437854467181977606
(click into the post to see more from the author)

A related tweet I found:
https://twitter.com/KerriLendo/status/1437865176481607680

I enjoyed Norm's material, but I also think that his reputation as a kind of hyper-edgy comic -- he "wanted laughter not applause" -- kind of helped fans brush over the stuff he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's great how when women make accusations while the person is alive and active, they're accused of trying to profit from him, ruin his career, cancel culture run amok, etc., but when they wait til the person is dead they're told "hey that's not fair, now he can't defend himself!!"