Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea the AI plots to murder their rivals, but they don't plot to murder their liege just for funsies or anything. Nor is there a great reason to do so as a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

PittTheElder posted:

Yea the AI plots to murder their rivals, but they don't plot to murder their liege just for funsies or anything. Nor is there a great reason to do so as a player.

Funnies, no.

Spite? Yes. Oh, God, yes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Magil Zeal posted:

Rivals will absolutely plot to kill you, though it may require certain traits? Pretty sure vengeful rivals will almost always at least attempt a murder plot.

trying for mother of us all sucks because you start with a rival with high intrigue, your intrigue sucks, and you have traits that give you mega stress if you try to kill her before she kills you

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
My Honest and Trusting vassals keep attempting to blackmail me. They're fishing for the Athletic trait, I guess.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

I'd like it if you could move holy sites should be an option, have it cost a ton of piety and give a religious war casus belli to all other rulers of your religion to move it back.

Sure it isn't super historical but it's a game that allows for completely reforming the church to allow for Divine Marriage or any other number of tenets already so I'm not sure why I can't also convince my followers that Paderborn isn't worth poo poo to visit, come to Mann instead.

Honestly it's not even that ahistorical - Islam was only established a couple centuries before the earliest start date in the game and Medina was not religiously important prior to Islam (Mecca was, although it was only locally significant). It's not hard to imagine that if one of the pagan religions that died out in real life instead had a big reformist movement that made it as prominent as Christianity or Islam, it would pick its own holy sites.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I pretty much always ensure vassals I give land to have either Craven or Content and never ambitious. Yet those motherfuckers still join factions against me from time to time even if my dread is 100.

I am also annoyed about the holy sites thing. I’m the emperor of Italy but I’m Asatru and would love to reform it. I’m thinking about converting to Ari or Vaishnavism instead. Thoughts on that?

They are both already reformed in my game so that penalty would go which is great. The only downside I can see is that I wouldn’t be able to lock people up and ransom them as most things are just shunned and not criminal.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I pretty much always ensure vassals I give land to have either Craven or Content and never ambitious. Yet those motherfuckers still join factions against me from time to time even if my dread is 100.

I am also annoyed about the holy sites thing. I’m the emperor of Italy but I’m Asatru and would love to reform it. I’m thinking about converting to Ari or Vaishnavism instead. Thoughts on that?

They are both already reformed in my game so that penalty would go which is great. The only downside I can see is that I wouldn’t be able to lock people up and ransom them as most things are just shunned and not criminal.

If you want to restore the Roman Empire later on you've got to be a Christian of some sort, unfortunately. Or Hellenic, but you'd need to execute a bunch of people for enough piety.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you're keeping dread high the most dangerous vassals have the Brave trait, as they're immune to fear. I think there's one other trait that makes people fearless? But otherwise ambitious means nothing if they're terrified.

Honest dread is OP right now and could use a small tweak; I think having some sort of scaling dread loss for being much higher than your natural dead would help make the mechanic more engaging without breaking anything.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what the loving gently caress

I got a total bullshit event sequence of impossible to avoid family murders ahahahahahaha

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I ask the Pope for money and then attack him will that limit his merc funds or does he pull the cash out of thin air?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I ask the Pope for money and then attack him will that limit his merc funds or does he pull the cash out of thin air?

The pope will not give you an appreciable fraction of his wealth.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

He does have to give you his money so technically you can but

TaurusTorus posted:

The pope will not give you an appreciable fraction of his wealth.

The couple hundred you can get from him every couple of years is nothing compared to his money, yeah.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If you want to mess with the pope that way, hire all the mercs in the world before declaring war on him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

what the loving gently caress

I got a total bullshit event sequence of impossible to avoid family murders ahahahahahaha

That chain is really loving weird and I want to know what's it's deal is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

That chain is really loving weird and I want to know what's it's deal is

I think it's either killed my heir or turned out to be my heir at least 50% of the time. I don't think there's a right way to do it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

I think it's either killed my heir or turned out to be my heir at least 50% of the time. I don't think there's a right way to do it.

imprison your heir the moment it fires

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I got that chain on my very first babby's tutorial Ireland game. 400 hours later I think I've only seen it again once.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
What chain? I don't think I've ever seen this?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I got that event chain really early on, and never seen it again since.
I discovered who the murderer was (my court physician), and then.... it just kinda ended without giving me any choice of what to do with them.

Deltasquid posted:

What chain? I don't think I've ever seen this?

Some sort of "serial killer at court" event chain, usually ends with a lot of dead courtiers/family members, also seemingly unavoidable.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's rare, but also kind of pointless, there's not really anything you can do about the murders other than maybe imprison the killer at the end. Maybe they'll improve it with Royal Court.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The irritable trait letting me duel literally anyone in the game for 150 prestige doesn’t make a lot of sense but I hope they never change it. I don’t think you can refuse it. The only caveat is having stress level 1.

And I’m a shy seducer, I can get back up to stress level 1 very, very easily.

I’m leaving a bruised trail of wounded kings, emperors and religious heads across Europe.

Edit: I misremembered why I was gaining stress all the time from seduction schemes. My seducer character isn’t shy, he’s both gay and zealous. So every time he sees an attractive young knight he has a tiny crisis of faith.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 15, 2021

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Edit: I misremembered why I was gaining stress all the time from seduction schemes. My seducer character isn’t shy, he’s both gay and zealous. So every time he sees an attractive young knight he has a tiny crisis of faith.

Oof, historical. I imagine him singing the villain song from Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

wologar posted:

I got that chain on my very first babby's tutorial Ireland game. 400 hours later I think I've only seen it again once.

I got it on my first game too. I was excited because my extremely disappointing heir was the killer, so at the end I exposed him thinking it would let me get rid of him. I didn't realize that regular murder isn't a punishable offense, so he just became an even worse heir with the murderer trait.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hard to believe there isn't a more granular system for raising and maintaining troops. I'm just cleaning up some odd counties here and there, I don't need 25k men.

Basically now I ctrl+click raise all here, then I take out what I don't want and disband. It's especially annoying if you want to move any knights around since they autosort to the bottom.

*Now this is the part where one of y'all goes, "actually, you're simply missing this feature" or "here's an ironman friendly mod that helps with that"

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 16, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

zoux posted:

Hard to believe there isn't a more granular system for raising and maintaining troops. I'm just cleaning up some odd counties here and there, I don't need 25k men.

Basically now I ctrl+click raise all here, then I take out what I don't want and disband. It's especially annoying if you want to move any knights around since they autosort to the bottom.

*Now this is the part where one of y'all goes, "actually, you're simply missing this feature" or "here's an ironman friendly mod that helps with that"

Is really exasperating

Theres really only a few cases, and often only early game, when you actually want to raise all. And yet thats the only option the game gives us. Well, that and "raise MaA" which is what I use most

And even the ctrl thing is weird: I cant see why anybody would raise their troops without ctrl just to have to manually merge them

edit: is a bit like the game dont understand how we actually use our armies

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I believe 1.4 added a Raise only MaA button, and there's also raise local troops at one of your other rally points? (which only calls the levies for whom that point is the closest plus the MaA).

It'd be nice if the interface let you only call up specific regiments, yeah, but these get you close enough in all but the most hectic "I've reformed Rome or are otherwise unstoppable but I still have to go through the motions of crushing some puny pocket of resistance in the back of beyond" situations.

edit: beaten. I think the reason that they added that automatic troop split is because people were losing substantial forces to attrition before even getting to the theatre because their stacks were too big for the supply limits in the area, which, while perhaps it's realistic, it's understandable that PDS would change default behaviour to not do that.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 16, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

You're not using "Raise MaA" or "Raise local troops" with multiple rally points?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, if I use multiple rally points I inevitably click the raise all troops button without thinking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish there was a way to just automate war entirely. I get that it's a major way to operationalize holding territory and vassals in terms of raw power so you can't remove it, but I just have no interest in fiddling around with the armies and various battle factors and terrain tool tips. I'm a king can't I just tell my general to take care of it?

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 16, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question: Is CK3 a superior game in all respects to CK1 or is it more like Vicky 2 versus Vicky 1 where there are some improvements but also some drawbacks?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Question: Is CK3 a superior game in all respects to CK1 or is it more like Vicky 2 versus Vicky 1 where there are some improvements but also some drawbacks?

It is superior to Ck1 in everything, yes

It is also superior to CK2 too, but in this case there are some drawbacks (several of features of CK2 are not in CK3 yet)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Question: Is CK3 a superior game in all respects to CK1

to ck one is like, light years ahead and is incredibly better than two ever was at this point of comparative development

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

CK3 is a lot smoother and more intuitive, but it's shallow currently compared to CK2 (CK1 isn't even a comparison). But well, it's infinitely cheaper to get into CK3 than CK2 with all the expansions so...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah I feel ck2 is still better than 3 in a bunch of ways but I am fully confident ck3 will fully surpass 2 in a year or two.

My biggest problem with ck3 is that it's just way too easy to make people like you. Once a lot more internal politics develops I think that will be fixed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CK3 feels much easier to get into though it's still super dense. That's huge for some because it means you actually play the game instead of just thinking about it.

I will say a downside is that there are way fewer events in terms of variety, and CK2 had really evocative art for them, whereas CK3 just uses the character models (which are otherwise a huge improvement) standing around in a generic background.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Best Friends posted:

Yeah I feel ck2 is still better than 3 in a bunch of ways but I am fully confident ck3 will fully surpass 2 in a year or two.

My biggest problem with ck3 is that it's just way too easy to make people like you. Once a lot more internal politics develops I think that will be fixed.

CK3 is really easier, and not only on that.

In my experience, the AI is a lot less aggressive. Your big neighbours will mostly leave you alone while you blob up until you are stronger than they.

Also while keeping your own blob stable seems easier than it was in CK2, the AI seems to have a lot more trouble with that and, with the exception of the Byzantines, all AI blobs will explode on their own whenever they get too big

Diseases are a lot less common too

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Elias_Maluco posted:

It is superior to Ck1 in everything, yes

It is also superior to CK2 too, but in this case there are some drawbacks (several of features of CK2 are not in CK3 yet)

Zeron posted:

CK3 is a lot smoother and more intuitive, but it's shallow currently compared to CK2 (CK1 isn't even a comparison). But well, it's infinitely cheaper to get into CK3 than CK2 with all the expansions so...

dead gay comedy forums posted:

to ck one is like, light years ahead and is incredibly better than two ever was at this point of comparative development

Sorry guys, I meant superior to CK2, and thank you for including CK2 in your analysis. I'll probably wait on CK3 until it is definitely better than CK2 in every aspect before getting into it.

Also, I prefer After the End FF mod on CK2 to what they're doing with it in CK3.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Biggest weakness of CK3 compared to 2 imo is that, outside catholic or norse (with the DLC), everything seems samey and a bit bland

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That is really the key difference between CK3 and 2 - CK3 has a much stronger base, but is less developed, because CK2 has had years worth of DLC to expand on flavour, but it's the sort of thing that is going to be a lower priority for a fresh release when you really want to make sure all your core systems are working before you start making a whole bunch of bespoke regional stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

CK3 on sale on Steam. Worth a play without the DLC, or is the DLC very necessary?