Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I have no friends, my brother went away to school and ive drifted away from all my old homies. Am i destined to die alone and unloved or are there ways for lonely elderly men such as myself to form new friend groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been struggling with that for a long time now. I have almost no friends. I moved to Seattle and lost all of the friends back home, made new ones out there mostly through work, and then moved back and all of my previous friends were gone.

I've tried Meetup.com but the groups are always a ways away from me.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
really depends how much effort you want to extend. but yeah, basically, you done.

Work is really the only place I meet new people. (Late 30s)
..I've avoided romantic relationships, because of the drama involved, I value my alone time, and it's just so much dang work.

There is hope for you yet, though.

get into a hobby that requires other people, maybe.

what this guy said

Colonel Cancer posted:

Your ability to make friend atrophies by middle school, you are already alone, unloved and probably dead :)

Jk just get a hobby and you'll find some friends

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Your ability to make friend atrophies by middle school, you are already alone, unloved and probably dead :)

Jk just get a hobby and you'll find some friends

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yall are making me depressed

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

welcome to the world of DUNGEONS and DRAGONS op

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yall are making me depressed

e- removed sad sack comment

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

join a run club

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Stop stealing depression valour, it only counts if you never had friends beyond a bottle and a cig to begin with

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Wait until you carry that into your late 40s.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
your friends are the people you work with now

unemployed? you have millions of friends, congratuations

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Sounds dumb, but your really got to find friends

Like join a book club, or rock climbing , or yoga thing

Fitness focused is a good one because you can get two(three) birds with one stone , and it's outdoors.

poo poo gets harder in your thirties because you have to put effort into it

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Volunteer, take classes, join a hiking club, just get out of the house, be were people are and you have a chance to socialize you'll be fine

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Start a cult imo

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Somebody once observed that the most ridiculous and unbelievable part of the Bible was that Jesus was 33 and had 12 friends. I think about that a lot.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Hmmm no ones suggested “be depressed and play videogames” which has been my current strategy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hell astro course posted:

welcome to the world of DUNGEONS and DRAGONS op

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i mostly make friends with various goons online and the few close friends that i have had since i was like 7. i tried making more friends on other discords but alot of those places are weird shitholes of various stripes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I've made several friends off of here and even met one of them in rl so like, just value online friendships and if they're nearby meet up and hang out.
Tho I've also made friends through my partner and I've had regular friends for years, even if they move away I still post dumb poo poo with them in Snapchat and Facebook groups and occasionally when we're able we hang out.

I think partly you just have to either spend more time with friends online or accept that in adulthood those nonstop weekly hangs become more of a rarity unless you've got like, someone in your neighborhood who will swing by often.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Vox has run some great, heart-breaking articles on just how lonely Americans are. Here's a decent one with lots of links:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/11/21245087/america-loneliness-epidemic-coronavirus-pandemic-together

Basically, you deserve to have friends and not be alone.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
all you have to do is work so much that you only have time to rest and get ready to go back to work, op

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
JUST BE YOURSELF, DON;T WORRY EVENTUALLY PEOPLE WILL LIKE YOU FOR WHO YOU ARE DON;T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
You can always do a goon meet... It's how I went to a hockey game with Derpies

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It is rough. Luckily I have a partner and a dog which helps a lot. But moving to Vegas destroyed my social life. I don't like the people here

I'm actually planning to move back to either socal, where my parents and sister are and where I went to college, or norcal, where I grew up and still have a bunch of friends. Because I'm not confident in my ability, but more than that my desire, to make new friends so I'm going back to the classic hits

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

numberoneposter posted:

join a run club

Do this. Check out a local athletic shoe store or bike shop and they’ll tell you about bike/run clubs you can go to. Basically everyone there is also 30+ and looking to make friends. Pro-move: Offer to buy the first round of drinks when you get back to the bar/brewery you started from (they basically all start/end at breweries/bars) and don’t make a big deal about how much it costs.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you're in your 30s and your life doesn't revolve around being married or divorced with kids, you need to focus on yourself. embrace loneliness, realize that everyone is alone, that friendship as most of us know it is an illusion. embrace death, embrace the darkness.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the trick is to already have one friend who is very social, then you meet all his new friends and become friends with some of them.

if you don't already have that one friend then sorry OP ur doomed

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hell Yeah posted:

if you're in your 30s and your life doesn't revolve around being married or divorced with kids, you need to focus on yourself. embrace loneliness, realize that everyone is alone, that friendship as most of us know it is an illusion. embrace death, embrace the darkness.

also this :hmmyes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You can buy friends on twitch.tv, OP. Each friend is a $5 monthly subscription. They'll even say your name out loud at least once each month!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My mom is 73 and going out with different friends all the time. Very :unsmith: for her but :smith: for me.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Try sucking the poo poo out of some turds in public, people go nuts for that type of poo poo, soon you'll have people asking you for tips and tricks and the best turd sucking techniques over a nice dinner at the Outback Steakhouse.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Try sucking the poo poo out of some turds in public, people go nuts for that type of poo poo, soon you'll have people asking you for tips and tricks and the best turd sucking techniques over a nice dinner at the Outback Steakhouse.

this is a trick! turds do NOT help u make friends

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

you always have a friend in Weed

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Hell Yeah posted:

Someone already posted "just be yourself."

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the trick is to already have one friend who is very social, then you meet all his new friends and become friends with some of them.

Hey, I'm that friend! Just figure out who that guy is in a group of people you like and talk to them and eventually you will be their friend too!

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

ill be ur friend OP, do you like pokemon cards?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

This, get an extrovert to adopt you if you're a sad sack loner

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You don't need friends OP, just the warm loving embrace of the glow of your monitor 🤗

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I didn't intend it going in, but I've been online dating for a while, and now a lot of friends of mine are people I dated where we got along but a romantic relationship wasn't the right fit.

When I host a poker game, it's like 50% women I've dated. :unsmith: