Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

from what i understand helium is the least stupid cryptocurrency... thing... since it actually has a goal besides "make infinity money" and the coin is there to serve an actual useful purpose (incentivize people to set up and run nodes, which do useful poo poo instead of just light coal on fire).

being least stupid still makes you stupid, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you're thinking of pennies you idiot :argh:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Aren't "data credits" the freemium currency for unlocking exclusive outfits in Cyperpunk 2077

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

from what i understand helium is the least stupid cryptocurrency... thing... since it actually has a goal besides "make infinity money" and the coin is there to serve an actual useful purpose (incentivize people to set up and run nodes, which do useful poo poo instead of just light coal on fire).

This was actually my argument: sounds fine but people are paying for it, the token had no intrinsic value, it's a payment for service. If it wasn't then who's paying the power bill? Dollars had to be going in otherwise it was a pyramid scheme of people paying for a node by getting others to use it

The fact of it then going up from cents to dollars through speculative crap almost completely undermines the point of the network though, and kind of proves my point about it all being divorced from anything approaching fundamentals.

aka "good idea, but why did it involve blockchain?"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

double post! how can the forums use blockchain to prevent this?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shame Boy posted:

yeah, this sounds like an actual product that someone might actually pay money for? it’s not a very good idea for a business but it’s way ahead of a typical crypto scam

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

first day back in the office and I got in an argument about cryptocurrency with a colleague, in this case about the "helium network", my argument was that if you're standing up a sensor network then someone has to be paying you real money, so money is going in somewhere, and if if each node is not processing 'blocks' to issue tokens or whatever then you have a central authority doing it, so this is not 'an exciting use case made possible by cryptocurrency', it's a mesh network with a central authority that you pay to use.

then we ran out of booze and stopped but I also said that his description of it ( "people are issued tokens for providing the network service to others which is intrinsic value") was a pyramid scheme unless at some point somebody was paying real money to use whatever it did

also I had to laugh at the idea that it was somehow cheaper/better to deploy a chain of sensors on the blockchain to build a network wide enough to "put a sensor in a remote location" vs just sticking in a GSM enabled one where you actually want it

helium is using LORAWAN and licensing their "hotspot miners" to "hardware" companies that sell $300 raspberry pis

if you try to ask who the target user of the helium network is you’ll get answers like iot, rental scooters, farmers paying to use sensors, and scientists who all would definitely have access to cheaper devices and free/cheap data but someone apparently is setting a price floor for all the helium tokens

a16z is a venture capital firm that’s basically pumping money into a bunch of these crypto schemes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kv1EKsxDrdQ

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

double post! how can the forums use blockchain to prevent this?
give me a whole bunch of money and I'll tellya!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Computer Serf posted:

helium is using LORAWAN and licensing their "hotspot miners" to "hardware" companies that sell $300 raspberry pis

if you try to ask who the target user of the helium network is you’ll get answers like iot, rental scooters, farmers paying to use sensors, and scientists who all would definitely have access to cheaper devices and free/cheap data but someone apparently is setting a price floor for all the helium tokens

a16z is a venture capital firm that’s basically pumping money into a bunch of these crypto schemes

this is exactly what his argument was complete with "ohh but farmers" etc. I didn't realise a node was 300 bucks though, that's crazy.

the worst thing though is that of it is for farmers, scientists, etc. Then why are random people "investing" in the token to get returns?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

this is exactly what his argument was complete with "ohh but farmers" etc. I didn't realise a node was 300 bucks though, that's crazy.

the worst thing though is that of it is for farmers, scientists, etc. Then why are random people "investing" into it to get returns?

You know why OP

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

EorayMel posted:

You know why OP

because every day we move further from god's light

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the fonera but with bitcoin

"community mesh network but with bitcoin" is pretty dense mass of stupid failed technologies. someone ask if they plan to add iot support for ouyas, cuecats, and juiceros

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
just learned about "functional" nfts, which is pushing the limits of meaning for the words learned and functional

https://twitter.com/ArtsyAegis/status/1438283511358709764

he's defending these strong nft things which have another layer of imaginary bullshit attached in the name of communism because we need bitcoins to get out of capitalism apparently

the nft acts as some kind of stock investment which pays dividends for running a "node" only you don't have to run a node just buy the nft and also they dont guarantee it will pay anything like the amount they say or actually do anything??

i swear these guys reinvent 5 layers of stock market idiosyncrasies but with less useful function and pretend to understand it so they can gatekeep any argument by saying you dont understand unless you read some idiots thesis on triple leveraged nft shell companies

sorry if this has already been covered i didnt read the thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
DBZMpregfanclub

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

Well the argument with supposedly decentralized exchanges like Uniswap is that because their governance proposals are decided by token holders instead of a board of directors, that it counts as being decentralized. But a16z and other VCs grab an untold amount of tokens in the first round of placements of these orgs. Doesn't that mean they essentially are a centralizing entity?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that reminded me of a bitcoiners future fanfic where something, drones I think, was all organised out of a central point but they just called it a decentral instead

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Boxturret posted:

that reminded me of a bitcoiners future fanfic where something, drones I think, was all organised out of a central point but they just called it a decentral instead

Is that the one with the fidget spinner birds

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Is that the one with the fidget spinner birds

the ones with lights like bikes? no that's different

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1438578194387390468

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1438211394491412484

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
uniswap.avi

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Helium is ultra stupid because if you have the sort of low data rate device that would work on a LoraWAN network, you can just use something like NB-IoT which runs on cell networks. T-mobile has a NB-IoT network in the US, for example. It costs something like $1/month for data.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
can anyone explain exactly what kind of data third parties can buy from the helium sensor network, its hard to find out with all the focus on the coin poo poo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's so nice to see antibitcoin graffiti next to a burning bitcoin vending machine, more countries should follow suit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shame Boy posted:

you're thinking of pennies you idiot :argh:

I think he's saying that dollars have a negative net value because of DEBT (and also inflation but inflation of something with negative value would go to zero, right?)

incisive commentary

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

inciteful commentary

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I think he's saying that dollars have a negative net value because of DEBT (and also inflation but inflation of something with negative value would go to zero, right?)

incisive commentary

i know what he thinks he's saying, he's just wrong and an idiot

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao

https://twitter.com/DickWhitman_BTC/status/1438389318972805129

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh thank god, lighting bitcoin ATM's on fire is in fact good for bitcoin, i was worried for a second

https://twitter.com/DickWhitman_BTC/status/1438408382797463558

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bitcoin is about freedom!

no, not like that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

dick whitman

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

inciteful commentary

invective commentary

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
dick whitman wokerage

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Boxturret posted:

dick whitman

when i was a kid i had a friend whose dad was named dick whitman, i'm p sure its not the same guy though cuz he was a law professor and a mormon.

my friend was one of 7 kids and was an uncle at like age 8 which was weird to young me cuz my only uncle was like 35 at the time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

*squints*
*rubs eyes*

I think my LASIK went horribly wrong somewhere, this cannot say what my eyes are telling me it says.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gschmidl posted:

*squints*
*rubs eyes*

I think my LASIK went horribly wrong somewhere, this cannot say what my eyes are telling me it says.

ask not for whom the internet nuts for

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I've just remembered the other use case touted; "with helium you can have sensors on inventory to track high value items!"

Ok but you can do that with RFID in a warehouse "ah but outside the warehouse so your package can be tracked!"

Then it's in a delivery van, if it goes missing I know where because I know I put it on the van..."no but you see then you'd know where it is if it is stolen!"

Unless they just take the sensor off. "...."

lotta mental gymnastics to demonstrate the "use" of something that's allegedly intrinsically valuable

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh no its the rfid pickles all over again

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blockchain is just an encrypted inventory system but why would an encrypted inventory system even be beneficial

explain how my mail, which is presently tracked just fine and they send me an email every morning with scanned images of the mail, would be improved by this blockchain poo poo. Or maybe tell me how blockchain poo poo would improve on the CUSIP system?

lI'm sure it's great for keeping a super secret spreadsheet listing all the train sets you've collected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

oh wow, that's like 50% of the bitcoin atms in their country destroyed