Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Been out of the game on collecting for a while now, but it's still fun to talk about. Been thinking of getting back into it again.

Post your collections, what categories you like to collect for the most, sick finds, good deals, how bullshit the secondhand market is now, and anything else that comes to mind.

I'm sure it's not as impressive as most people here, but I look forward to seeing everyone's sick collections.

I lucked out with Metroid Prime Trilogy and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door because a dude was selling his game collection in preparation for a move and sold them for $5 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i basically moved to just collecting consoles and putting in everdrives or whatever years ago. the games take up way too much space and the market is so hyper inflated now its pointless lol. everyone's asking crazy prices but no ones paying them! apparently they just found another warehouse full of sealed snes games and that still hasn't made the insane rich people blowing their money realise how common this poo poo is lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

id kill for some samba de amigo maracas though

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

trying to jack off posted:

i basically moved to just collecting consoles and putting in everdrives or whatever years ago. the games take up way too much space and the market is so hyper inflated now its pointless lol. everyone's asking crazy prices but no ones paying them! apparently they just found another warehouse full of sealed snes games and that still hasn't made the insane rich people blowing their money realise how common this poo poo is lol

I feel that, big reason why I don't scour ebay for PS2 games anymore is just that I don't have enough space. Been thinking of getting a GBA SP and collecting GB-GBA games though, should take up a lot less space.

Yet it somehow made sense to me to start collecting movies anyway.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My massive ps2/gamecube/dreamcast/wii/n64/genesis/nes collection was stolen while I was away from home for several years and I miss it every day. I still have all my portable stuff but unfortunately none of the cases really. Been a mostly digital gamer since it all got stolen...I had some pretty rare ps2 games, most importantly the red case for MGS3 Subsistence

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

This was pre-child being born so now most of this stuff is in storage or has been sold off.

At the height of the PS2 era I probably had about 50 odd games, most of which I sold to buy a PS3, mistakes were made

I pivoted away from mass collecting after the PS2 and went into either specific game collections or collectors editions poo poo.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 17, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
my game shelf is mostly just old pc games from when the local game shops had bargain bins full of relatively recent stuff. it has a lot of great stuff and also the original pc port of resident evil 4, which is something alright

i do have an old boxed copy of super mario kart that my dad bought on a business trip overseas without realizing it wouldn't work on our console because tv standard/region stuff. returning it would have required going back halfway across the world, so it's just sat in my bookcase since the 90s

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

This was pre-child being born so now most of this stuff is in storage or has been sold off.

At the height of the PS2 era I probably had about 50 odd games, most of which I sold to buy a PS3, mistakes were made

I pivoted away from mass collecting after the PS2 and went into either specific game collections or collectors editions poo poo.

thats a cool shelf, i half considered getting the minis just as display pieces even though i have the real things lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i sold my NES, SNES and N64 stuff a few years ago. it was tough to part with but it was hard to say no to how much money i got at the vintage store, and it had just been sitting in storage forever.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm on the cusp of selling all my physical stuff.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I used to sell most of my games in order to buy more games, but I stopped doing that after I sold Mario Sunshine. I really wanted to play it again a few years after I sold it, and I vowed to never sell another game ever again. So, I have a random assortment of every game I bought since 2004 or so.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I've got lots of the expensive classics purchased for either retail or dirt cheap at yard sales in the great 2002-2006 era where you could still find good stuff. Clearly remember getting a used boxed copy of Earthbound in like 1998 or something for Christmas, unwrapping it, remarking "wow that's a big box" and then throwing the box directly into the trash. Still have the game and that included guide, but looking at eBay it looks like the complete package goes for like 3 grand?

I'm also tempted to switch entirely to flashcarts and ODEs. Trying to get the logic part of my brain to override the sentimentality of games I got as a kid.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im keeping all my physical games if only for the fact that selling them off separately would be a massive pain in the rear end. my gamecube died and my wii stopped reading discs i can't actually use any of my wii or gamecube games lol so i have to use nintendont and an iso on a usb stick, similarly i have everdrives for my nes and genesis and will probably eventually get one for my snes so all this crap is just taking up space really

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my ps2 still reads discs but for how long? moving parts were a horrible mistake

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I sold all my ps3 and ps4 games and physical bds a few years ago and mainly buy digital now for space. But then I bought some old consoles like my WiiU and Dreamcast and gamecube and keep buying physical for those lol

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I have a bunch of games in my closet going back to the PS1 era that I just haven't gotten around to playing, but now that old games are coming out digitally I might as well sell them, though I keep thinking that if I wait then prices will go up. Let them sit for another twenty years, I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I keep buying random old games physical bc im lucky enough to live in a area with a decent old games store. their prices are starting to skyrocket though :/ loads of lovely saturn games are all like $50+. 90% of my saturn collection came from the time i was in tokyo and loaded up on junk for 15 bucks.

i dont display anything since i dont have room its just in a big DVD sleeve binder. its fun to keep it alphabetized and work my way through all the stuff i havent played.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
this is the arcade "collection" i have at the back of my house; pic is kinda old, i got rid of half of the bar stools and now have a 2 player Virtual Boy setup on the table

they are all originals with arcade CRTs, but i modified the TMNT control panel so it could play every MAME game possible. i had to flash a specific video card with a weird firmware to support the really weird arcade resolutions but everything looks identical to real arcade boards now.

the crusin USA and Megatouch XL are untouched, other than the Megatouch was modified with a CF card reader to replace the CD ROM drive and also upgrade it to the last Titanium update

i also have an NBA Jam cab in my garage but no idea what to do with it

as for console stuff i have like 35 physical switch games but other than that i got rid of a lot of my collection because it was taking up way too much space. as it is now, my game collection setup is pretty much merged with my record collection due to space:

this is the console set up, the only real impressive thing of note is they are all hooked up at one time and can be played at any time with a press of a button on the logitech remote:

i am kinda screwed if any new consoles come out lol

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

That clear blue Ultra64 shell is dope. I want something like that for my PS1, but I can't find anything online.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ngl i was waiting with baited breath for the uncle at nintendo pics when i saw this thread, lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bizness posted:

That clear blue Ultra64 shell is dope. I want something like that for my PS1, but I can't find anything online.

yeah the aftermarket shells are super expensive on ebay now. a few sites used to sell them but not any longer.

GametechUS has been selling a lot of new clear shells for the snes, saturn, and dreamcast so keep an eye out; he might do one for the PS1 especially since there's hdmi mods for it now

Bicyclops posted:

ngl i was waiting with baited breath for the uncle at nintendo pics when i saw this thread, lol

i was gonna hide something in the background but got too lazy and just found old pics i already took on my google photos lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

disgusting american standup cabinets with happ levers. terrible. its such a saddness. "a waste." -- donald trump.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve got a good collection of console and everdrives, the only physical games I really collect anymore are ones I have a particular nostalgia for or RPGs. I have a good collection of SNES and PS2 RPGs, mostly everything I’d want except for earthbound. I’ll post pics later

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

disgusting american standup cabinets with happ levers. terrible. its such a saddness. "a waste." -- donald trump.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I have a pretty big collection of games but my current apartment is too small to display any of it, so it's all in storage crates under my bed. I don't plan on getting rid of any of it any time soon but it might be a while before I can display it properly.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bizness posted:

oh yeah also it's just the ice blue N64, and the Ultra 64 logo can be bought here:

https://www.game-tech.us/product/ultrahdmi/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

most of my collection was stolen by ups 4 years ago when i moved. they eventually paid out the insurance for the claimed value but i just havent had the motivation to even try rebuilding the collection, a lot of which were games that held sentimental value and not monetary.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I collect turds that fall out of my rear end in a top hat.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I've got a spindle full of Ps3 games that I hide Disgaea on the bottom of.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

heehee posted:

I collect turds that fall out of my rear end in a top hat.

yeah ive read your post history :troll:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i have lose carts of destiny of an emperror, crystalis, the marios, cirpy, and dragon warrior 1-3 for nes in a box somewhere and a dog bone nes. and all the square rpgs except mario + plok AND the GOAT Super Alfred Chicken. no boxes or manuals tho because i was a chold so i can never get them vga rated quintuple A like the latest sony and microsoft games and auciton them for 2 million dollars to launder saudi drug money. tragic.

I ALSO have every cave 360 shmup and i'm praying whoever is doing the switch ports puts muchi muchi pork/pink sweets on the eshop after they release dodonpachi daifukkatsu for the 300th time because by god i could dump that thing off for a cool 200-300 dollars and turn it into something useful like marijuana or drugs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i had the steelbook metroid prime trilogy but i gave it away when it was released on the wiiu eshop because im the stupidest person in the world. i also gave away all of the DS castlevanias and every gamecube game i owned, which were all of the good ones.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have gyromite

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

i sold my NES, SNES and N64 stuff a few years ago. it was tough to part with but it was hard to say no to how much money i got at the vintage store, and it had just been sitting in storage forever.
This.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh yeah i also own the ultiamte gamer swag :smugbird:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

i had the steelbook metroid prime trilogy but i gave it away when it was released on the wiiu eshop because im the stupidest person in the world. i also gave away all of the DS castlevanias and every gamecube game i owned, which were all of the good ones.

I still have it. Is it still worth good money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

I still have it. Is it still worth good money

According to completed eBay auctions it's worth about $120 used