Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

shrike82 posted:

lukewarm on the movie - felt like they had to rush to squeeze in scenes from the book and you barely had the time to take in a scene before they had to jump to the next one

ends on a fairly meh scene too
clearly a Hyperion stan here to poo poo on competing sci-fi, get out!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

mulling about it more, I wonder if Chalamet and Zendaya are going to be able to carry the next movie which will presumably be more focused on them

it was kinda hard to take them seriously especially Chalamet. To use an example, the training sequence between him and Josh Brolin wasn’t believable as a close fight

to be positive, the backdrops and expository views into the universe were gorgeous and subdued in contrast to the gaudiness of Lynch’s version. the major supporting characters like Ferguson were good

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I saw it yesterday, not much to add that hasn't already been said.

-No audio problems in my theater, if you don't count the questionable pronunciation of the French dub ("Bene GUEsserit", etc).
-It's a very pretty movie by blockbuster standards. I was skeptical of the drab color scheme at first but the set designs won me over, though this is probably something that won't be as appreciable outside of a theater. Main reservation is that the visions could have benefitted from a bit more visual flair, they didn't feel all that distinct from the rest and were a bit repetitive.
-The cast is good all around, with as already said special mention to Ferguson, who carries a lot of the latter half. Chalamet is believable enough as a precious aristocrat, Isaacs is at his dad-iest, Momoa was the obvious choice for Duncan, etc...
-Bautista and Zendaya are barely in the movie though.
-As someone who's never read the book but is familiar with the outlines, I would say that it's not harder to follow for a casual public than, say, first season Game of Thrones. There was a fair bit of exposition but outside of the psychic stuff it seemed clear enough.
-A lot of the plot is gonna feel a bit familiar due to imitators, but the movie's not shy about telegraphing that this isn't a straightforward Chosen One story.
-:can:

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Dune was good. Very good I would say. Needed more zendaya though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1438501941726695425

movie of the year

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I respect that denis's vision of dune goes so as far as turning the planet into dune via NFTs. Not often you see a true visionary

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where is it out?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
EU and Asia

Movie is pretty good, but 155 mins only gets you like 2/3 of a Lynch movie

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

He's right. I'm glad whenever directors point this out. The only rebuttal from the mickey mouse club is "Well, then why come it make so much moneyzz>??"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
First Marty, then Eddie Murphy, now Denis??

Spiderman is my friend, please stop bullying him

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just saw it yesterday evening, movie good but a bit bleak. Suits the source material though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

phasmid posted:

He's right. I'm glad whenever directors point this out. The only rebuttal from the mickey mouse club is "Well, then why come it make so much moneyzz>??"

The real rebuttal is 'you are making a film of a book that has been made into a film twice before'.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Alchenar posted:

The real rebuttal is 'you are making a film of a book that has been made into a film twice before'.

Classic never dies. New Count of Monte Cristo movie WHEN? :black101:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Unfortunately the only decent adaptation had a dogshit budget and late 90s CGI.

So no, it hasn't been made into a film before in my opinion.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Unfortunately the only decent adaptation had a dogshit budget and late 90s CGI.

So no, it hasn't been made into a film before in my opinion.

Yeah, Lynch Dune had some rad looking stuff but was also just a bad movie with stupid changes from the book.

The TV series looked like hot garbage even for the time it came out and some of the acting was amateurish or just flat.

This really feels like the first "No, seriously, we're really trying and there's no extraneous :jerkbag: poo poo."

(I don't think Lynch personally was slacking off, that just had a massive amount of behind the scenes fuckery going on.)

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Listening to Hans Zimmer's score now and it's okay. I mean most of his scores are okay (sometimes really good). I know he scores pretty much everything but you know I wouldn't be opposed to some newblood composing some movies for a change.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

The obvious rebuttal to the rebuttal being of course, "for the same reason people eat McDonald's". Comfort food is comfort food.

Fake edit:

Dune, huh. I managed to catch the movie in theater today and man, I was impressed. And not in a B-Movie sense, either! The latest Star Wars movie basically turned imho into a great comedy at the end, so I can't really call it more than "fine". But Dune? Great from beginning to end. The only thing not great is now I have to sit and wait for years until the second part is out.

No wait, two things are bad about the new Dune: 1.) Wait time for part 2 and 2.) This movie wrote a lot of checks and I'm really hoping the 2nd part can cash those checks in

For a more granular review:

I've seen the David Lynch movie multiple times (I just love Patrick Stewart, OK??!) and also the TV-series. The David Lynch movie was a bit much, but it has an odd charm which grows on you. The TV-series I found to be unbearable boring, I felt like I dropped into a deep coma when it started, and only awoke when the ordeal was finally over.

The new movie on the other hand, is like the David Lynch version, but good: It doesn't try to just put the entire book into a blender and try to force it into a single movie, come hell and high water, and it still has the same odd charm of the Lynch-movie. I miss Patrick Stewart, but the rest was so good I kind of forgot about him as long as the movie kept going.

My conclusion: In Germany, we have this saying that you need to try something three times, and only on the third try will it turn out good. After David Lynch's good first attempt, and the TV-series unholy mess, this third try finally turned out well. Good job, Villeneuve! Nice to see you can do more than winning car races!

Go and see the movie now, if you haven't already. Also, don't drink a lot through the movie, or your bladder will hate you.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I'd give it 3 out of 5, it's no Blade Runner 2049 masterpiece - but it does "feel" like a proper translation of Dune to the screen.

Minor nitpicks and thoughts:

1. A lot of the visuals feel very similar to the Lynch movie, almost to the point where I feel it influences this movie too much.
2. The cinematography is very Villeneuve-esque, in a good way. The hunter-seeker floats like the eyebots in BR2049, the hallways are comically oversized and weirdly lit etc. It all works pretty well in this setting.
3. Ferguson is a terrific actress and carries a lot of the movie.
4. The fremen feel appropriately middle-eastern. I was worried this aspect was toned down, but it works really well.
5. The Baron's makeup is kinda disappointing, I was sure he would be more gross after the poison.
6. The music score feels a little off, almost a little bit too orchestral in a way. I also didn't think the movie had "earned" the scenes with soaring music and Chalamet standing on the shores of Caladan yet.
7. Duncan's death is well done.
8. Brolin's a great actor, but the performance felt a bit weird.
9. I think the sandworms looked great.
10. The shield fighting visual and fight choreography looked good, which is surprising. I always thought this would be almost impossible to translate to the screen.
11. The worldbuilding is very well done, the Bene Gesserit are explained in like 4-5 lines of dialogue - but it's just enough that it works without leaving people confused.

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 17, 2021

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This movie is dark. I mean literally dark. Every scene is poorly lit. Duke Atreides is one of the richest men in the Universe, surely he can afford to add a few lamps here and there.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Lamps are specifically outlawed following the Butlerian Jihad. Low wattage glowglobes are pushing it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We all underestimated the lasting influence solo a star wars story would have on cinematography here in hell world

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Naturalistic lighting is for cowards

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Finally, a faithful adaptation that cannot be viewed unless under a very specific spread of psychoactive influences.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The first scene where we get a good look at a sandworm is at night. How disappointing.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 18, 2021

mousku
Jun 2, 2011
I heard people snickering in my screening whenever the Baron floated around and it did look kinda silly to be honest.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
It should

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Is the Baron still a bloated, sadistic pedophile in a repulsor-lift Baby Bjorn? Because yeah, the premise is pretty ridiculous.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xealot posted:

Is the Baron still a bloated, sadistic pedophile in a repulsor-lift Baby Bjorn? Because yeah, the premise is pretty ridiculous.

I mean sure but then...Trump

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean sure but then...Trump

The baron is unrealistically smart.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kurzon posted:

This movie is dark. I mean literally dark. Every scene is poorly lit. Duke Atreides is one of the richest men in the Universe, surely he can afford to add a few lamps here and there.

Lynch movie had the same problem.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

sean10mm posted:

The baron is unrealistically smart.

His plan was basically "whelp the entire government will not only stand by and allow me to do this but will also under the table help me out" so maybe not :D

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, Lynch Dune had some rad looking stuff but was also just a bad movie with stupid changes from the book.

The TV series looked like hot garbage even for the time it came out and some of the acting was amateurish or just flat.

This really feels like the first "No, seriously, we're really trying and there's no extraneous :jerkbag: poo poo."

(I don't think Lynch personally was slacking off, that just had a massive amount of behind the scenes fuckery going on.)

There's that spice diver fan edit of the Lynch version that's honestly really good imo, but even in that, you can feel how in the third act Lynch just wasn't really in control and it's choppy as gently caress with a lot of stupid poo poo like why are the individual generals using these like rotating arcade game things and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 18, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Geidi Prime sets start cheap and get cheaper throughout the movie as well. The Castle Caladan and Arrakeen sets blew the budget.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kurzon posted:

You don't become one of the richest men in the universe by spending all your money on full functioning like globes.

20 watt no name brand lightglobes are the trillionares globe of choice!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the marvel bots are out in force

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Horizon Burning posted:

the marvel bots are out in force

Are these children, or man-childs? What a petty crew of philistines.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

children are smarter

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Wizchine posted:

Might actually be bots, they all talk the same. Hard to tell with the MCU crowd.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:ironicat: aside, where does this "copy-paste" thing come from? The movie doesn't seem at all like any previous adaptations. I know, I'm overthinking fake bot reviews

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

:ironicat: aside, where does this "copy-paste" thing come from? The movie doesn't seem at all like any previous adaptations. I know, I'm overthinking fake bot reviews

It's because Villaneuve accused (some) Marvel movies of being cut-and-paste.

It's like Scorcesee calling them theme-park rides - I like and enjoy Marvel, but it's a pretty accurate summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's because Villaneuve accused (some) Marvel movies of being cut-and-paste.

It's like Scorcesee calling them theme-park rides - I like and enjoy Marvel, but it's a pretty accurate summary.

I don't even understand what's the problem with those people, no-one is ranting about how great fast food chains are just because people complain about bad nutrition. But suddenly, with movies it's their identity at threat??? Who cares if your Marvel-movie is just a very expensive Troll 2, you can still enjoy it