Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Huh, I had just assumed BeatTogether was a VRChat plug-in. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Everyone should give Synth Riders a shot, which lets you do all of this stuff without the ball-aching hassle.

Synth Riders is my current jam, it's great and makes me feel cool

that's all, god bless!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I got my free replacement face cover from Oculus today and for some reason I was expecting something more substantial. I didn't realise it was just a flimsy little band that goes round the existing cover. I dunno why I bothered really lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fuf posted:

I got my free replacement face cover from Oculus today and for some reason I was expecting something more substantial. I didn't realise it was just a flimsy little band that goes round the existing cover. I dunno why I bothered really lol

At first they gave free vr cover replacements, two sets in fact.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Squiggle posted:

Synth Riders is my current jam, it's great and makes me feel cool

that's all, god bless!

Same. Non stop playlist of custom songs is my daily exercise now. Shake it Off rules.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Scrolling through the new Synth Riders customs and feeling old not knowing what 95% of these songs even are. Do zoomers even listen to real music, or do they all just listen to songs made by Twitch streamers that only like 100 people have even heard of?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

King Vidiot posted:

Do zoomers even listen to real music, or do they all just listen to songs made by Twitch streamers that only like 100 people have even heard of?

This is the part where everyone goes "ok boomer" :v:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

KakerMix posted:

This is the part where everyone goes "ok boomer" :v:

Old man shakes his fist at (sound)cloud

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

King Vidiot posted:

Scrolling through the new Synth Riders customs and feeling old not knowing what 95% of these songs even are. Do zoomers even listen to real music, or do they all just listen to songs made by Twitch streamers that only like 100 people have even heard of?

Nowadays music creation and dispersion is much easier as such there are fewer and fewer bands that are simply known by everyone because we are all listening to our own tiny specialized music ecosystem. and it is great!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
While it is generally difficult to find new songs that are more "traditional" in beatsaber custom songs, that doesn't mean they're any less quality.... necessarily.

I grabbed "Flashback" and it's some Japanese anime-type song (power intro, not calm extro) and.... it's actually a drat good song on technical merits in terms of what I'm doing with my arms during it.

The other problem is more traditional songs have all already been made for the most part and few people want to update an already mapped song.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Twibbit posted:

Nowadays music creation and dispersion is much easier as such there are fewer and fewer bands that are simply known by everyone because we are all listening to our own tiny specialized music ecosystem. and it is great!

My daughters (11 & 9) love “nightcore music”. I have no idea and when I try to listen with them, I cannot figure it out. It sounds just like high pitched speedy songs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think the “better” artists of that genre do some more work to tracks but from a base level they are just chipmunk-ing it. I’ve never personally cared for it, but different strokes and folks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I'm sure there's some great stuff in there but half the custom songs don't even have album covers, it's just a blurry photo collage or a screenshot from an anime. And a quarter of them are song mashups that were probably used in a TikTok video.

Like I can't talk too much about extremely niche musical tastes. A lot of the stuff I listen to on Spotify is by artists who have one EP to their name and I can't even recall who they are after I listen to them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One of my favorite project concepts to eyeball is Tinker Pilot https://www.tinkerpilot.com/ and they just announced some changes coming up.

I just caught myself thinking a few weeks ago whether they were still alive or not :allears:

e: They are a space sim based on the idea of 1:1 mapping of physical controls, etc.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Half-Life: Alyx is on sale on Steam for 40% off in case anyone was waiting like I was.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Sometimes when I’m scrolling through the latest custom songs on BeastSaber I catch myself getting all Grandpa Simpson about how the song selection is 70% anime intros and tiktok zoomer stuff with the remaining 30% being modern pop music and a sprinkling of classic rock.

But then I think about what would be charting if it were 10-15 years ago and decide anime intro themes aren’t so bad after all.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Tonight I got around to trying out Into the Radius and In Death, which I picked up in a sale awhile back but hadn't gotten to yet.

Into the Radius seems alright in theory but in practice it feels over-complicated and hard to navigate, I played though the tutorial and then I was spent and I didn't feel like I was going to retain much of it, but then again it was also my first foray into VR since before summer.

In Death, though, after I found a controller profile that was better than the default for my index controllers, I loved. Played for about an hour and a half, worked up a little bit of a sweat, the archery is really good and the general vibe of the game was just addictive. Once I got the cataclysm bow I smashed my way through like 3 or 4 sections of the castle. It's not perfect but I was really wanting a good archery game and this scratched that itch.

I still would like a game besides skyrim with a really lengthy campaign that isn't a roguelike but that will get me physically moving a lot, I feel like I hit a wall in some of the fitness games because I can power through the easy levels but then my out-of-shapeness gets in the way when it gets hard and I can't progress. Until You Fall was pretty good about ramping it up but, the roguelike aspect can make me put it down after a run. I'd like to get something that has somewhat of a real story but is also about being active. That kind of thing seems very rare.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

caldrax posted:

Into the Radius seems alright in theory but in practice it feels over-complicated and hard to navigate, I played though the tutorial and then I was spent and I didn't feel like I was going to retain much of it

Hah, same. I did the tutorial, my play time was up, and the next time I fired it up (to test out my DecaMove) I barely managed to walk around and clumsily wave the pistol around with the safety on.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sigh. Very bad news, at least for me.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-new-milestone-for-quill/
It seems FB is retiring his support to Quill. Bad. I expected a Quest version of the creator, and instead they are distancing themselves from it. :/

On the other hand, they aren't closing it down, they are giving the app to the original creator (he originally created it while working at FB), and he is continuing to support it in his new separate company.
https://quill.art/
And he is opensourcing the format and a reference player, so now someone could publish a version that works for SteamVR
https://github.com/Immersive-Foundation/IMM/blob/main/README.md

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the only gun attachments worth a drat are the really spendy ones for maximizing your pavlov kdr or whatever, the rest are just going to go into a drawer after their second use

Wrong. the best one is only $60 but unfortunately it only works with PSVR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Sigh. Very bad news, at least for me.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-new-milestone-for-quill/
It seems FB is retiring his support to Quill. Bad. I expected a Quest version of the creator, and instead they are distancing themselves from it. :/

On the other hand, they aren't closing it down, they are giving the app to the original creator (he originally created it while working at FB), and he is continuing to support it in his new separate company.
https://quill.art/
And he is opensourcing the format and a reference player, so now someone could publish a version that works for SteamVR
https://github.com/Immersive-Foundation/IMM/blob/main/README.md

This actually sounds like good news?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah I'm not sure how that could be construed as bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If they're not going to continue it themselves, releasing it for the original creator to keep working on as its own thing is basically the best case scenario.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This actually sounds like good news?

Not having FB's money and backing and clout is bad. If the Quest is the number 1 VR device, the most important thing they could have done is to make a Quest version of the app, to promote people using it more and extend its popularity. Instead they are backing down.

Of course opening the app source code, by itself, is good, but that doesn't mean that automatically the app is going to gain popularity. A popular Quill (closed) app is preferable to a niche Quill (open) app, from a consumer pov.

Although I give them credit for handling it graciously, I understand they are giving it for free to him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's absolutely nothing stopping it from still being ON the Quest though, it's just now under the developer's full control.

Which means it can also release on SteamVR if they want.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And given that Quill has been slowly dropping out of view on the dashboard, I doubt Facebook have been putting much money into it for a while.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh that's what I'm critiquing , FB not putting money like before. I always imagined they were funding some of the bigger works, as they were free and there no ads or other ways to recoup money. So I fear less new material now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Considering Quill was the number one reason I got a Quest, I'm interested to see if I'll finally have the opportunity to obey the thread title in the coming generations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played In Death a while back on my Vive but it looks like the updated/improved version is Quest only?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think it might be available on the PCVR oculus store? Not sure.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I played In Death a while back on my Vive but it looks like the updated/improved version is Quest only?

That's right.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So if I have a CV1 and love the controllers and get a quest2, am I able to pick and choose which controllers I use for which headset I put on at any given time? Or am I locked into the controllers that came with the device?

Secondary, if I have the base stations from CV1 setup and am playing on the q2 via airlink, am I able to use them for filling in the gaps of tracking that q2 might have, or no?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did anyone else pick up Table of Tales? Potentially dumb question, but I can't figure out any way to adjust the table height. I've tried resetting view in Oculus and Steam, but as is I almost have to sit on the floor to read any of the cards.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

So if I have a CV1 and love the controllers and get a quest2, am I able to pick and choose which controllers I use for which headset I put on at any given time? Or am I locked into the controllers that came with the device?

Secondary, if I have the base stations from CV1 setup and am playing on the q2 via airlink, am I able to use them for filling in the gaps of tracking that q2 might have, or no?

Nope, CV1 is effectively dead and buried. Cameras won't be useful for anything going forward, and I doubt you'll ever touch your CV1 again once you have a Quest2. I know I haven't.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Jetborne Racing is so loving fun, I wish there were more people playing. It's usually just me and my buddies online until a couple non-VR people come in and dominate.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.roadtovr.com/google-stadia-vr-job-listings/

Don't worry, Google will save VR with Stadia!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KinkyJohn posted:

The only solutions to the locomotion problem are either a Jamiroquai room, a Matrix interface or use yer drat arms.

A useless twisting of a new technlogy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems the DLC for the Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy game round it off to offer a better experience, with with a much more decent amount of content, variety, etc. It's still a straightforward shooter, but now it's a decent one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/1438928994632613895

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Vib Rib posted:

Yep. They basically said "HAHA gently caress U PC PLAYERS WEEEE" and ignored us. Steam version is a janky mess on the index.