Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

freeasinbeer posted:

I like stadia.

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I bought games on stadia

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zil posted:

Wonder how pissed those watching the mod queue will get if someone reports that?

the reported post is in its own little inline window in the report that you can scroll through independently. no one is seeing more than the very top

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

oddium posted:

the reported post is in its own little inline window in the report that you can scroll through independently. no one is seeing more than the very top

That is surprising considering radiums coding.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Wy_pWscsk

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

edit: snipped out the longest joker

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

and with that, the fall of rome got that little bit closer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

I bought games on stadia

I bought one game because it was $1. I played it once and haven't played it again.

I need to cancel my account but I keep forgetting.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wonder when we will start seeing gigapixel jokers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Cost. Quest 2 is $299 and has no external hardware requirement (but can also connect to a PC). An Index costs $1k and requires a PC, PSVR is aging and the rest are kind of junk.

Not that I don't agree the account requirement is exploitative bullshit.

More relevantly; How exactly is streamed VR supposed to work as a platform? It's only good if you have a "dumb" PC headset, and the cheapest one on the market is the Quest 2. The device that works as a completely-standalone VR device offering PC-quality VR experiences. And if you've got anything else, you've almost certainly got the PC to run the drat thing locally.

Also I wouldn't call the rest entirely junk; Anything Lighthouse-based is solid and incrementally upgradeable (except the Cosmos because :lol: for a bunch of reasons there), and the most recent Samsung and HP inside-out-tracked headsets are reputedly great for sit-down games like flight and driving sims.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Can't use mods on stadia

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Can't use mods on stadia

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Khablam posted:

My understanding of Stadia/streaming VR approaches, is it essentially feeds a 180/360 video (or at least much wider than your FOV) and all the head-tracking and anything which might cause motion sickness is done locally against that video. It's not the stupidest idea in concept.
Of course, VR is a niche, so this is a niche of a niche so I imagine exactly 3 people will ever use it.
That'd probably fall apart the moment you want to interact with an object or lean in or whatever. You really can't have lag or framerate issues with VR or your brain starts freaking out about your head movement not matching what your eyes are telling it.

I mean, I'd certainly be curious to see how they approach this, but I'm not sure what options they have that wouldn't just be a nausea trigger.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is this one of those funny Stux posts I keep hearing about? Asking for a friend
When was the last time you made a post in this thread that wasn't about Stux? We can barely see your face through all the fish hooks.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Having used a VR headset, I can tell you that any game that puts your reticule in the center of your screen and expects you to look to aim will make me motion sick really fast, and if I try to turn my character's body while also turning my physical head, that makes me dizzy as well. Anything else is fine, but "look to aim" and "head and body moving independently" both cause problems.

The thought of trying to do any of this crap while also dealing with any kind of internet lag makes me queasy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Kins posted:

When was the last time you made a post in this thread that wasn't about Stux? We can barely see your face through all the fish hooks.

Sorry, didn't know the thread police was here. If Stux is allowed to shitpost I'm allowed to respond.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

surely the one thing stux doesn't want is attention

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

freeasinbeer posted:

I bought games on stadia

Get ‘em, boys.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I want a Stux who can poo poo post with a looooong joker

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sorry, didn't know the thread police was here. If Stux is allowed to shitpost I'm allowed to respond.

If Stux is allowed to shitpost, and you're allowed to contribute nothing to the games forum except complain about it, then i'm allowed to point that out and say it's a lil weird and maybe you should take a break.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

loving hell if you want the thread to stop being about Stux then do it. I made one dumb sarcastic comment after he got himself probed again and thought that was the end of it, but apparently not!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freeasinbeer posted:

I bought games on stadia

Get Judgment

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I’m not a computer genius, but if you can’t get “normal” games to stream very well, it seems to me that stadium VR would be an Elon Musk sort of promise. (pipe dream)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You think the overage fees for stadia are bad? Try the overage fees for a stadia with 360 degree video!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

loving hell if you want the thread to stop being about Stux then do it. I made one dumb sarcastic comment after he got himself probed again and thought that was the end of it, but apparently not!

yo, I'm serious, click the question mark under your username and look at your last dozen posts in this thread. if it was one sarcastic comment nobody would care.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't care

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

u mad

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Freedom Trails posted:

I’m not a computer genius, but if you can’t get “normal” games to stream very well, it seems to me that stadium VR would be an Elon Musk sort of promise. (pipe dream)

So what you're saying is, satellite streaming?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The thing with VR game streaming is that you'd still need some sort of expensive hardware to actually use it. I mean, sure, you could probably substitute the headset itself for some cheap Google Cardboard type thing repurposing your phone, but you'd still need a controller for at least one of the player's hands, and some way of accurately tracking it around 3D space, and I'm not sure the solution Stadia currently uses for motion control (another phone! because everyone has two!) really scales up.

It's a curious little side-chain to the overhanging challenge of making VR in general less prohibitively expensive, and I don't think Google will be the ones to solve either the big or little bits.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Kins posted:

The thing with VR game streaming is that you'd still need some sort of expensive hardware to actually use it. I mean, sure, you could probably substitute the headset itself for some cheap Google Cardboard type thing repurposing your phone, but you'd still need a controller for at least one of the player's hands, and some way of accurately tracking it around 3D space, and I'm not sure the solution Stadia currently uses for motion control (another phone! because everyone has two!) really scales up.

It's a curious little side-chain to the overhanging challenge of making VR in general less prohibitively expensive, and I don't think Google will be the ones to solve either the big or little bits.

also one of the biggest factors in whether a VR headset is usable is that it matches what you're seeing to how you're moving, not sure how having fully-remote rendering streamed via the internet would ever be anything other than nauseating, people get huge headaches from tiny barely perceptible flaws in corrective lenses, if you're giving them VR that separates their vision from their inner ear by a tenth of a second they're gonna probably feel like poo poo real fast for reasons other than realizing they're A Stadia Guy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Nah, you're way behind on your VR tech; Cardboard VR stuff is dead and has been for years now, the only stuff worth streaming is what's on Quest and PC, and to get to that stage you're dropping money on a proper VR headset with two tracked controllers. Which means you now either have a Quest 2, or something comparable to it (say a WMR headset or a Rift S), and for what you're spending you may as well forget about streaming and just get a Quest 2 that'll do the same job without some absolutely dogshit latency issues.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FAUXTON posted:

also one of the biggest factors in whether a VR headset is usable is that it matches what you're seeing to how you're moving, not sure how having fully-remote rendering streamed via the internet would ever be anything other than nauseating, people get huge headaches from tiny barely perceptible flaws in corrective lenses, if you're giving them VR that separates their vision from their inner ear by a tenth of a second they're gonna probably feel like poo poo real fast for reasons other than realizing they're A Stadia Guy

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it worked by streaming the entire 360 view as one video, and you turning your head is handled by the headset locally. If you were to, for some reason, design VR that works with streaming games that really sounds like the best possible way to do it.

It still sounds like it loving sucks and you should just get literally any other headset, though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, you're way behind on your VR tech; Cardboard VR stuff is dead and has been for years now, the only stuff worth streaming is what's on Quest and PC, and to get to that stage you're dropping money on a proper VR headset with two tracked controllers. Which means you now either have a Quest 2, or something comparable to it (say a WMR headset or a Rift S), and for what you're spending you may as well forget about streaming and just get a Quest 2 that'll do the same job without some absolutely dogshit latency issues.
While I won't argue that I'm behind on my VR tech on account of not having a vacuum-sealed dedicated VR room in my mansion, I'm aware that Cardboard is dead as hell... but something like that is the only way I can see the prospect of streamed VR making any form of financial sense.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Wait so the cheapest VR headset is a standalone device that has it's own computing power? How tf does that make any sense at all? I was thinking about branching out into VR but I want an affordable setup that uses my PC to... process it or whatever

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Quest 2 is also that since you can use steam VR on it

Check the VR gaming thread

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it worked by streaming the entire 360 view as one video, and you turning your head is handled by the headset locally. If you were to, for some reason, design VR that works with streaming games that really sounds like the best possible way to do it.

It still sounds like it loving sucks and you should just get literally any other headset, though

The core problem is you need a VR device at the end to be streamed to though, there's no getting around that. And for what you're spending to get that VR device... you can just have a VR device that works locally and makes the concept moot.

Streamed gaming works because you can throw it at literally any device with a wi-fi connection, a screen, and whatever inputs will translate to its API (hell you can overlay points on the screen itself to poke and stroke at. It won't be great, but it's been done before). VR's a whole other kettle of fish, especially now we're kinda-sorta seeing a standardized framework with OpenXR get agreed-upon and adopted and a relatively-standardized set of inputs due to Oculus establishing a pretty decent one (two tracked controllers, each with a thumbstick, two buttons, a menu button, grip button and trigger). So to stream VR you need to match that, and you can't really fudge that with a phone and a plastic frame anymore.

Play posted:

Wait so the cheapest VR headset is a standalone device that has it's own computing power? How tf does that make any sense at all? I was thinking about branching out into VR but I want an affordable setup that uses my PC to... process it or whatever

Facebook's (almost certainly) eating a loss on the hardware to make money back on software and being Facebook in VR. It still tethers to PC for SteamVR but you need a Facebook account to do anything with it. If you're on a budget and don't care/have a Facebook account, the Quest 2's what you're after. It'll also work wirelessly if your router's decent. Lighthouse hardware's (Vive, Index, etc) is also just more expensive because it's got more involved due to external base station for better tracking and sensors in the devices to calculate their own positions and send that on to your PC.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just looked back at the original story where the evidence of Stadia moving into VR was posted, and the 4 job descriptions with VR in the "Preferred Qualifications" section don't actually have VR there, or were later edited to remove it:

https://careers.google.com/jobs/res...rtual%20reality

So I doubt Stadia is actually pivoting to VR. More than likely someone messed up when making the job descriptions and then edited it later.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

PSVR is in it's death throes. The Quest is the primary entry point now, at least for those who can stomach Facebook.

There is supposedly a new PSVR headset in the works for PS5, though unsurprisingly not for this year.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gutcruncher posted:

lol I'm gonna assume up front that it's gonna make people barf on electronics

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
That macroblocking on their poo poo quality stream is going to look great as a 360 degree vr video

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I just looked back at the original story where the evidence of Stadia moving into VR was posted, and the 4 job descriptions with VR in the "Preferred Qualifications" section don't actually have VR there, or were later edited to remove it:

So I doubt Stadia is actually pivoting to VR. More than likely someone messed up when making the job descriptions and then edited it later.

I wonder if VR means something else for them then. Anyone have any ideas what VR might mean for a stadia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My point is that VR is literally not listed on any of those job descriptions. There's nothing from Google linking Stadia to VR at all, at least not here.