Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That show has the most unenthusiastic laughtrack I’ve ever heard. Like, most of them missed half the ‘jokes’ and the producers just didn’t have the shame to juice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I finally started on Lucifer and I like how Chloe has her own subplot where she investigates the reason for all the mysterious happenings around Lucifer... except he keeps flat out telling her "I'm the devil, it's not my fault you don't believe me" every episode, but she just writes it off then continues looking for evidence that Lucifer is some sort of supernatural being.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Legit one of the best things about Lucifer is that he just refuses to shut up about being the actual devil.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1438729710889050112

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sex Education is back!

The blonde British chick from Girls is the new principal. So strange, I feel like she could play one of the students.

Edit: Holy poo poo, she's 38

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is anyone else watching Reservation Dogs on Hulu? I loving love it and you will too.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I watched 1 episode of Brad Neely's new show and... it's not funny at all! I mean, there are characters there to like, but China IL and Sclopio Peepio are two of the funniest animated shows ever made and The Harper House was weirdly tepid and boring. I'm going to give it another shot just in case it suffered from pilotitis, but it was just miserable to watch after expecting something more like his other two shows. Very disappointed.

I put on an episode of Jellystone afterwards just to get some crazy fun energy. Also Jellystone? It's a mixed bag, but if you grew up watching USA's Cartoon Express then it's going to hit home. I can't tell if it's for kids or adults. It seems more adult humor based but each episode starts off very kid friendly before it makes some sort of turn that is questionable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

External Organs posted:

Is anyone else watching Reservation Dogs on Hulu? I loving love it and you will too.

Most definitely. It’s a great show and thank you to everyone recommending it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

i mean if someone pitched that show to me today, I'd absolutely watch it. Also someone just showed me a preview of it and I'm looking to watch it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel like that could have been a really interesting sitcom in any decade other than the 80s.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Trying to imagine how it would be if the same premise was launched today.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
....I....I mean that'd just be Once Upon a Time wouldn't it?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mulva posted:

....I....I mean that'd just be Once Upon a Time wouldn't it?

That show wasn't terrible. I remember thinking the costume-person? for season 1 was trying to sex it up a little too much, the jeans they made Jennifer Morrison were so tight she kind of walked funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a very odd observation.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

External Organs posted:

I love the show and it captures the vibe of the quasi-dying Midwest communities better than any other show I've seen.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am having a hell of a time slogging through Season 4 of Curb Your Enthusiasm, simply because I feel like they turn Larry into a completely unlikeable piece of poo poo. Has he always been this bad? I felt like he went from a well meaning dude who bumbles into disaster to a straight up rear end in a top hat.

Does it get better? Really tempted to just throw in the towel.

Some of the premise of the jokes are beyond absurd to the point where it feels insulting, like the idea that a TV show contestant would get into a yelling match with a holocaust survivor, the speech he makes to the surrogate mother where he keeps using the word baby- like none of these things feel remotely based on reality, and it's really souring the show for me.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 17, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you're not okay with Larry David being a total rear end in a top hat, you're not going to enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's kinda the point, and I'm surprised you got that far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The show kinda goes a bit away from JUST being about how awful Larry is, especially with the introduction of more regular characters like Leon, but yeah I doubt later seasons are going to change your mind if that's your main problem. Him getting into completely absurd social situations IS the show.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vanderdeath posted:

I love the show and it captures the vibe of the quasi-dying Midwest communities better than any other show I've seen.

I live in WV and you ain't kidding. Exactly right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I watched 1 episode of Brad Neely's new show and... it's not funny at all! I mean, there are characters there to like, but China IL and Sclopio Peepio are two of the funniest animated shows ever made and The Harper House was weirdly tepid and boring. I'm going to give it another shot just in case it suffered from pilotitis, but it was just miserable to watch after expecting something more like his other two shows. Very disappointed.

That's super disappointing because I really loved China, IL and Sclopio Peepio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGzwCrNAEc

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How many episodes should I give person if interest? I like the concept but the first couple haven't really grabbed me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How many episodes should I give person if interest? I like the concept but the first couple haven't really grabbed me

I think episode 9 or 10 is where it really starts popping off. The beginning is enjoyable if you like procedurals but it barely touches the actual plot of the show.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Episode 6 and 7 introduce some very important recurring characters, then the show continues to ramp up from there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

If you're not okay with Larry David being a total rear end in a top hat, you're not going to enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's kinda the point, and I'm surprised you got that far.

It may have been S4 that I had a problem with back when I watched it but there definitely was a season, and it doesn't last IMO, where Larry slides from being an rear end in a top hat in response to stupid poo poo to being an rear end in a top hat instigating stupid poo poo. Larry works best when he's basically "saying what you're thinking" about someone being a jerk (and then making things worse) - it doesn't work when he's starting it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ugly in the Morning hit it way more concisely but I really want to do anything but my job this afternoon so:

At its core, Person of Interest is a procedural with overarching scifi and conspiracy/mystery elements (eventually). The procedural spine of the show remains throughout (and the writers poke fun, with Reese occasionally voicing rebellion against the number of the week plots interfering with the more interesting longer arcs), but it becomes much more rewarding as the victims and perpetrators start to tie in to the bigger narrative more seamlessly.

I like to use Burn Notice as a comparison, as someone who enjoys both shows. The procedural and client of the week plots on Burn Notice are usually devices to obstruct the team from pursuing the bigger plot (because "someone needs your help, Michael"). POI starts off similarly, but as AngryBooch notes, many irrelevant numbers quickly become critical to the show. It's a really underrated stroke of genius by the writers--there's a suspension of disbelief required in procedural and of the week shows that there are a weekly supply of clients to help or crimes to solve or cases to diagnosis and that they're often thematically linked to the larger plot. When your numbers are delivered by a omniscient supercomputer designed to see connections that nobody else can, it'd be bizarre if most weren't in response to past plots or will be crucial to future conflicts. (It's me, the guy who ruins things via explanation)

It's tough to give a "how many episodes" answer, though, because I find the show's (intentional) transformation from basic CBS procedural to a thriller with a surprisingly hard scifi bent for network TV to be part of my love for it. If you're not seeing promise by the end of S1E7, then it might be worth skipping ahead. The journey is half the enjoyment for me, but I didn't mind early s1 the first time and enjoy it much more now that I know where it's headed.

S1E22-S2E2 is where the show starts to pay off a lot of the seeds it plants in S1, and S3E22-S4E3 upends the show's structure with a new (and inevitable) antagonist and explores the terrifying new normal. If you're on the fence through 7 and willing to give it another couple hours, you're probably better peeking at the show it becomes than watching the next few in order. Also because the best character in the entire show debuts as a guest star in S2E1 and quickly becomes a regular and my favorite castmember.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JamesQueallyLAT/status/1439001560671944704

Maybe next time don't do a documentary about your crimes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

According to Susan Criss, a former Texas District Court judge, this was the third time Durst had accidentally revealed incriminating information while wearing a microphone.

Lol that it wasn't an isolated incident.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol that it wasn't an isolated incident.

https://youtu.be/VO0zEfrEle4

Scene from the trial

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesQueallyLAT/status/1439001560671944704

Maybe next time don't do a documentary about your crimes

my_crimes.mp3

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can you really call a person you murder your best friend?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You wouldn't let some rando kill your best friend, would you??

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

“There it is. You’re caught. You’re right, of course. But, you can’t imagine. Arrest him. I don’t know what’s in the house. Oh, I want this. What a disaster. He was right. I was wrong. And the burping. I’m having difficulty with the question. What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course.”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was rolling it around in my head about chuck and Jimmy and I realized. Chuck is frank grimes and Jimmy is Homer Simpson

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the help guys.

Reese is really good at shooting dudes in the legs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The knees, specifically! And yes, it becomes outright comical.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1438620714123202587

Myself? Not in the industry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Reese is Batman. Finch is Oracle. Carter is Commisioner Gordon.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

You wouldn't let some rando kill your best friend, would you??

You could easily use one of Norm's OJ jokes here. "He said he would have taken a bullet for her, he would have stepped in front of a moving train for her. Man, that's pretty bad luck when the one person who would die for you...kills you."

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Zachack posted:

It may have been S4 that I had a problem with back when I watched it but there definitely was a season, and it doesn't last IMO, where Larry slides from being an rear end in a top hat in response to stupid poo poo to being an rear end in a top hat instigating stupid poo poo. Larry works best when he's basically "saying what you're thinking" about someone being a jerk (and then making things worse) - it doesn't work when he's starting it.
Thank you. I know Larry David was always a selfish inconsiderate prick, but running over a dog and not taking it to the vet is too much. Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed the subtle shift in tone of the character. I'll just have to force feed myself the rest of the season and hope the fifth one is better.

feedmyleg posted:

There's no denying that he's a stubborn jackass, but this season, feels like they ramp it up to 200 for no reason. There's literally a subplot about him wanting to cheat on his wife. He throws a poo poo fit because his friend wouldn't give him the empty chair memorial for a recently deceased father. It's not the fact that he is a jerk, because he's always been. My issue is that it just feels like a different character altogether. I can't think of another show with such a drastic shift in tone and quality in between seasons. I know part of the joy is watching things unravel for him, but there's a difference between being awkward, and being a straight up grade A rear end in a top hat.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/OuterSiberia/status/1438881818372153349

For the record, the similar line in the book goes: "She was not an important player by their standards; the only unusual thing about her was her sex, and even that wasn’t unique in Russia. There was Nona Gaprindashvili, not up to the level of this tournament, but a player who had met all these Russian grandmasters many times before."

I don't know why Netflix felt the need to insert a false line about how she had never faced men.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 18, 2021