Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Thanks thread, the answer in my head was 7 but I've seen all over the map in my career so far. Mostly in the 7-20 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
6-8 is supposed to be the sweet spot but I think closer to 5-6. A decent manager spends half a day on each direct report in a given week, any more and they'd be micromanaging, any less they have no idea what's going on.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
never had a manager with less than 30 reports and all yearly development one-on-ones started with an awkward “so, uh, tell me what you’ve done the last year”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kernel Sanders posted:

yearly development one-on-ones

ehrm

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I can't figure out if that's "we don't have those" or "once a year wtf"

my current job has biannual ones fwiw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

I can't figure out if that's "we don't have those" or "once a year wtf"

my current job has biannual ones fwiw

the latter, it’s a pure formality if it’s just once or twice per year

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the latter, it’s a pure formality if it’s just once or twice per year

it's a formality so you can meet your manage who tells you you've exceeded expectations but you're only gonna get a raise for meets expectations because that's company policy :v:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my current job has them once a month and he’s already putting me into management positions when i’ve only been here half a year. dunno how i feel about it but at least it’s not the old once-a-year check in poo poo where my career is firmly stuck in the mud

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my manager has 5 direct reports and also does a decent amount of technical work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my current job has them once a month and he’s already putting me into management positions when i’ve only been here half a year. dunno how i feel about it but at least it’s not the old once-a-year check in poo poo where my career is firmly stuck in the mud

ive had them weekly my entire career

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh yeah we talk weekly but the once a month checkin is explicitly about my career / where he views me heading / how we're getting there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh yeah we talk weekly but the once a month checkin is explicitly about my career / where he views me heading / how we're getting there

that’s fair. my meetings of the sort have always been quite fluid on what we’re actually talking about, but i don’t see anything bad in having a clear agenda for them either

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Interviewed a guy yesterday that felt it was important when we asked why he was looking to tell us one of the reasons is a vaccine mandate at his current job.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

kdrudy posted:

Interviewed a guy yesterday that, when we asked why he was looking, felt it was important to tell us one of the reasons is a vaccine mandate at his current job.

Sorry, I was just having a real hard time with this one

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kdrudy posted:

Interviewed a guy yesterday that felt it was important when we asked why he was looking to tell us one of the reasons is a vaccine mandate at his current job.

ingles porfavor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it means that kdrudy had to interview a drat chud

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ah, so what i suspected

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

this reminds of the newish guy who constantly complains on our team, recently about the company banning some alt-right memes in official communications

and it's like, mate it's a mutli-billion multinational and you don't even have direct reports, I don't think your concerns will get heard out over the vp hr executive or whoever was announcing the policy

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Suddenly remembering that time I had a boss who was having trouble working with me and told me he wanted to hand me off to one of the other managers. I told him no. :twisted:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sorry, yes that's it, I rewrote that into nonsense.

It was mostly surprising he offered up that information when it would have never come up otherwise. He had other valid reasons for leaving.

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 17, 2021

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my boss got covid and offered to explain how it's actually all a scam even though he had to take a week of sick time and still looked miserable on the video chat. I declined to hear him out and it made me feel zero regrets for fleeing the company

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
offering that up seems like a good idea because if you’re opposed to vaccine mandates you don’t want to get a job where that’s a problem anyway

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The interviewee being opposed to the vaccine mandate is a gigantic red flag that you are in fact talking to an actual moron and should show them the way out without further ado.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the overwhelming presence of libertarians in couputer touching is proof positive that it's a job that actual morons can and will do

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

CPColin posted:

Suddenly remembering that time I had a boss who was having trouble working with me and told me he wanted to hand me off to one of the other managers. I told him no. :twisted:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Going to be a bit long so apologies in advance but I need some advice.

I joined a SaaS start up in 2016 as an off the street implementation rep hired at a college job fair as a very early employee. This start up exists in the healthcare industry and provides a suite of enterprise software products consisting of an EHR/EMR, a CRM, a billing platform, a few different little apps and modules, embedded BI dashboards (white labeled into our product rather poorly) and some other stuff. I was in the process of bringing to market BI as a service. I was with the company for 5 years, it's the only "real" job I've ever had.

This start up was pretty successful and ended up selling to a big multi-billion dollar investment firm out of SV. As part of this change they let alot of people go to bring in their own leadership and so there was more or less total turnover for the entire C-suite, VPs and director levels. I was let go with a nice agreement due to a change in strategy and considering the sale am financially secure for like another six months without doing anything and could continue it if I wanted to start touching money I don't really want to.

I had alot of great experience at this company but the entire org was incredibly unstructured and didn't do a great job defining roles, responsibilities or titles. My track was:

Implementation Rep
1.5 year, learned the flagship product. implemented it, was really good at it, they were brining a CRM to market with a small dev team and SME acting as a Product Manager, so I was first to learn and implement the CRM product. General software implementation bullshit goes here. Some innovation to improve lovely existing processes such as partnering with dev (walking into someone's office) and asking them to write scripts to automate incredibly manual tasks.

Enterprise Implementation Manager
1 year and a new position created for me as I was the first to learn the CRM and was thus responsible for writing all P&P's, implementation playbooks, service guides, internal / external user documentation for the CRM product as well as managing all "enterprise" (more than 1 software product) implementations. I began to do solution style work here assisting with large clients who needed new features or solutions to fit their requirements as I trained two particularly gifted employees to become the new Imp and Service managers respectively with their own teams to manage. I also began interfacing directly with the dev team building the CRM. I also began taking on basic account management responsibilities since no one else could do anything on our new product. The company also began a CSM program with actual CSM positions that I ended up serving as a technical resource to for anything CRM dependent before handing that off to the service manager.

note: At this point I started reporting to only the C-suite and was more or less allowed to pursue anything of interest that I felt was worth my time.

Vice President of Enterprise Product - last 3.5 years ish
Essentially, I was responsible for whatever the current tire fire was that existed with any strategic clients which I understand real companies term "Client Success Management" and was responsible for strategic account retention (receive a forwarded email with a pls fix note from an executive, fly out, listen to them bitch, fix it and btw the entire companies resources are at your disposal if there's a dev dependency), acting as pre and post sales resource to anyone who needed regarding solutions across the environment (including utilizing existing capabilities in novel ways or gathering requirements, writing or approving stories and integrating into the backlog/roadmap. I also wrote the sales demo script for the CRM and the BI), driving the roadmap and assisting with the product development of the CRM (Product Management) (ran architecture, stand up, requirements, design meetings, groom/prioritize backlog, gather user feedback, flew out whenever people had a problem or bitched to fix it or bring it back to the team, designed several new features for different user personas ) as well as doing product development for our white labled BI solution (wire-framed the entire dashboard suite in the CRM, assisted with the EMR, began discussion of monetization opportunities, served as a resource pre/post sales, and a bunch of like BA style work with clients to give them ad-hoc reports that I drove to monetize and wrote a data dictionary). I was also on the conference circuit pre-covid (hence the VP title) to act as a technical resource to sales and assist with account management and relationships and even did some presentations about healthcare technology, importance of good data practices and other stuff.

So that was all like alot of fun and I got a real serious exposure to alot of SaaS stuff, lot of CSM, product, solution stuff but I for sure don't feel like a real VP and am for sure not ready to sit through a VP level interview about like...budgets and like actual strategic thought? and stuff that I don't really know about. I am also not like actually technical....I can sit in a room of engineers and be like hey we're missing the point, or that doesn't fit the requirement, or hey we have a risk factor here with what you guys are talking about but I don't code in anyway and only follow architecture conceptually although I am comfortable writing requirements and have taken several features from white board through to market.

In general, I'm not sure how to represent all of that on a resume.

and I also have a pretty important question:

Should I break up my VP title into just like.... Enterprise Solutions Consultant/Architect and Enterprise Products Manager areas so that I can get looks and interviews from established mid to large companies? The new ownership has no idea what anyone did before they got there since the company was a bit of a mess. I just don't know how that looks if some hiring manager calls them and is like did Waro work for you in this capacity and they go..no he was VP of XXX. is there a risk factor here?

I was also thinking of keeping a VP :jerkbag: version of my resume for use on like.... angel list or with start ups where I can walk in pretty confidently at a mid level leadership position and bring something to market and stand up teams that will actually eventually become departments.

I'd be really interested in getting some thoughts and direction from the thread because I for sure lucked into this entire situation and have no idea what I'm doing now as I've never had to actually find a job.

I can also take this to the A/T thread if its a better fit there, but I'd really like to purse Product and Solution stuff and would be curious to hear anyones thoughts.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a startup is interviewing me for their Engineer #1 position and i have no idea how to decide if even want to pursue this, let alone how to tell if it's a good idea or how to sell them on me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

really depends on the size of the signing bonus. and salary. if it isnt high enough to save for an unexpected layoff it's probably a bad idea imo

depends on your risk tolerance though i guess

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

a startup is interviewing me for their Engineer #1 position and i have no idea how to decide if even want to pursue this, let alone how to tell if it's a good idea or how to sell them on me

what are they gonna sell and how are they gonna tell if peeps want it or not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

words words words

I'd be really interested in getting some thoughts and direction from the thread because I for sure lucked into this entire situation and have no idea what I'm doing now as I've never had to actually find a job.

we are indeed like 95% putertouchers doin stupid algorithm puzzles and jumping through those hoops but ive interviewed your kind before

your kinda job, middle-upper managment, basically the hand in resume get job flow is nonexistent, even more so than the rest of the market. call up points of contact at old clients that like you a lot (practice w old clients that liked you a medium amount first) and have some coffee and mention you're looking. they'll know your sitch too. the resume then becomes formality.

its p rare for someone who knows sales to have problems w interviews. this is why putertouchers have problems w interviews. but you know sales presumably

one way to nail down the mba poo poo that you're afraid of is to just go and get an mba. of course get someone else to pay for it

cycles are much longer than eng jobs: this is just another high touch sales process, only you're doing all the prospecting. people do not actually come inbound or outbound in the email signup form ready to buy a 500k thing so you shouldnt expect peeps to come inbound or outbound ready to immediately retain services of 400, 500k/yr peep. lots of dumb checklist hoops concealing the ulterior judgement of do they like you or not

it is extremely viable to pitch a few dozen vcs and squeeze investment if you have any startup ideas and are willing to only see your so after 9pm for half a decade (and you find a technical cofounder who youre ok w seeing more than your so for half a decade lol), also

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 20, 2021

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

what are they gonna sell and how are they gonna tell if peeps want it or not

a small business loan connection platform, which according to their pitch they know is necessary because they've been in small business lending for decades and have personally seen the market niche. (to do: figure out whether they're lying about this.) sounds kind of boring but tbh boring products conceived by grownups is the only kind of startup i'd even consider. they're offering enough base cash to live comfortably on + save. they hired a contractor to build their prototype, although i haven't seen it in action yet.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
did you know that sales to smb is hell and theyre the shittiest customers on earth

if you're aware ofvthis and theyre aware of this its fine then

do they have a stupid landing page or whatever and did they get a proper deluge of emails out of the landing page? or newsletter or trolling for letters of intent or whatever stupid thing

whats price point, order of magnitude, expected acv?

why are they gonna be better than the competition? (bein banks and poo poo, this is surprisingly easy)

do they have regulatory experience cuz this is finance land and theres gonna be regulations out the butt? are you fine w regulations and compliance out the butt?

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 20, 2021

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

raminasi posted:

a small business loan connection platform, which according to their pitch they know is necessary because they've been in small business lending for decades and have personally seen the market niche. (to do: figure out whether they're lying about this.) sounds kind of boring but tbh boring products conceived by grownups is the only kind of startup i'd even consider. they're offering enough base cash to live comfortably on + save. they hired a contractor to build their prototype, although i haven't seen it in action yet.

In an effort to give back:

Can you share with me a little bit of the market research you've done to determine market gap and market fit?

I'm not very familiar with the space this platform will exist in...what sets you apart from other solutions?

Do you have any users or clients whove agreed to partner with you for purposes of beta testing and feedback? Or better yet have you secured a sale already?

A drill down followup that I would like to see from a PM would be:
Can you describe tablestake features for an app in this space?

This would let you know they have a firm understand of the market, what's in the market and what value they're adding.

You probably wanna make sure you aren't going into something with no funding and no prospective clients and end up designing an app with a user base of one. Your boss. Which is semi common I've found when I get pitched stuff.

we are indeed like 95% putertouchers doin stupid algorithm puzzles and jumping through those hoops but ive interviewed your kind before

your kinda job, middle-upper managment, basically the hand in resume get job flow is nonexistent, even more so than the rest of the market. call up points of contact at old clients that like you a lot (practice w old clients that liked you a medium amount first) and have some coffee and mention you're looking. they'll know your sitch too. the resume then becomes formality.

its p rare for someone who knows sales to have problems w interviews. this is why putertouchers have problems w interviews. but you know sales presumably

one way to nail down the mba poo poo that you're afraid of is to just go and get an mba. of course get someone else to pay for it

cycles are much longer than eng jobs: this is just another high touch sales process, only you're doing all the prospecting. people do not actually come inbound or outbound in the email signup form ready to buy a 500k thing so you shouldnt expect peeps to come inbound or outbound ready to immediately retain services of 400, 500k/yr peep. lots of dumb checklist hoops concealing the ulterior judgement of do they like you or not

it is extremely viable to pitch a few dozen vcs and squeeze investment if you have any startup ideas and are willing to only see your so after 9pm for half a decade (and you find a technical cofounder who youre ok w seeing more than your so for half a decade lol), also

Thanks for this! Going back to clients would be a good place to start but I'd much rather be on the tech side than the actual industry side. I guess I can try with larger accounts who have dedicated data/BI teams. Shame I have no saleforce experience since we wrote our own to sell it. 😕 appreciate the direction and a nice way to think of the whole process. Selling yourself.

A friend suggested consulting but that has its own host of issues and I'm not sure how I'd break in.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 20, 2021

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

at the risk of being reductive in my answer, yes you should have different versions of the resume. I'm in product and have a security focussed version, a commercial version etc. bob is right though that at senior levels the resume is a formality and something you send the HR person after the boss has made you an offer already over drinks.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

raminasi posted:

so it's a company run by idea guys. wouldn't you expect a fair bit of equity as a technical cofounder?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

so it's a company run by idea guys. wouldn't you expect a fair bit of equity as a technical cofounder?

yes, but that part isn't in question. the base cash is just the table stakes the recruiter uses to get me respond to her emails. if they don't offer a fair bit of equity i'm going to walk, but i'm trying to figure out if that's even enough.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you're first technical, 2-10%

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i keep getting these contacts where the 'crooter emphasizes that the client company's founders are mega-rich, like that's supposed to motivate me :confused:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

for the love of god