Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

King Vidiot posted:

I was dipping into the Arcade levels in Pistol Whip, and thought that the game was basically that easy in Campaign mode so I thought I'd give that a try. Turns out the Arcade mode is, just as they straight-up tell you in the menus, a warmup to the actual hard-as-balls story mode. I figured out pretty quick why there were so few levels in each campaign, man that was rough.

Smoke and Thunder requires you to practically kill enemies the nanosecond they spawn and if you don't you're taking a hit.

e: And no, I didn't beat either campaign.

Squatting is very effective at dodging. The first time I showed it to people they didn't realize that on their own and it made a huge difference after I told them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr-emporium-bundle

Not too sure about the redesign of buy 1 game, 4, or all 7 games but at the moment the difference between the 4 games and the 7 was about 35p so I got them all, if anyone wants a steam key for Until You Fall put your email address here and I'll send it, don't want it getting scalped.

Also, a cool cyberpunk akira style bike rider is being developed on Steam and looks like it has potential.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1601770/RUNNER/?beta=0

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Any suggestions for games for a workout? I have pistol whip and beat saber already. Thrill of the Fight is good but im way too likely to swing for realsies out of habit and throw myself off balance, it’s hard to go into shadowboxing mode for VR.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Desdinova posted:

Not too sure about the redesign of buy 1 game, 4, or all 7 games but at the moment the difference between the 4 games and the 7 was about 35p so I got them all, if anyone wants a steam key for Until You Fall put your email address here and I'll send it, don't want it getting scalped.

Also, a cool cyberpunk akira style bike rider is being developed on Steam and looks like it has potential.

hey, I'd like to try out Until You Fall, my email is tipmcmahon@gmail.com

Thanks!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Any suggestions for games for a workout? I have pistol whip and beat saber already. Thrill of the Fight is good but im way too likely to swing for realsies out of habit and throw myself off balance, it’s hard to go into shadowboxing mode for VR.

Soundboxing is still my favourite music/exercise game and if you do real punch movements rather than wrist flicks easily the most strenuous - lots of 10-20 minute long maps and some 30-60 min ones that are really great for an actually intense workout. and its cheap.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

blade & sorcery

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like HoloBall, but I got in in a sale (actually in a past bundle not too different from the current one).

It's basically a mix of Pong and Squash, it works pretty well as a workout in the way, well, Squash does. Might wear out your controller.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

Soundboxing is still my favourite music/exercise game and if you do real punch movements rather than wrist flicks easily the most strenuous - lots of 10-20 minute long maps and some 30-60 min ones that are really great for an actually intense workout. and its cheap.

I know you love the game. But theres 15 other music games worth the money that are actually still supported. I tried booting it up recently and its just not as fun as synth riders or any of the other dot punchers.

Man I miss enjoying soundboxing. :(

Desdinova posted:

Runner looks great. The guy who does my avatar stuff is one of the modelers and man its really loving sick looking. I'm DYING to get my hands on the drat thing.

Finally got around to playing this
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1384320/Grapple_Tournament/

I missed this poo poo, and finally got bullied into playing it. Holy gently caress. Its UT in VR with a grapple. Not for those who can't handle fast games, but wow. I didn't get sick personally, framerate + the games really smooth helps a lot. But warning its fast as poo poo.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I got another $10 coupon on the Oculus store, one more and i'll have all three of those Darth Vader games for 80 cents a piece which seems like a good deal

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

I know you love the game. But theres 15 other music games worth the money that are actually still supported. I tried booting it up recently and its just not as fun as synth riders or any of the other dot punchers.

Man I miss enjoying soundboxing. :(

It's not the most polished game but it's very cheap and if there's another game that fits the following criteria I'd be interested in trying it, but the following is why I still love the game 400 hours later:

- gameplay is just punching dots, in a wide range of possible up-down motion (feet to above head) no arm-extending implements or guided 'flow' motions, scored for strength and timing accuracy
- youtube integration
- ability to make beatmaps easily to songs or mixes you love just by doing the actions that you'll then need to match later
- ability to create or already existing long beatmaps that are music mixes, not just one song, of +10 minutes for exercise

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/546560/HalfLife_Alyx/
Alyx is on sale.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LLSix posted:

Squatting is very effective at dodging. The first time I showed it to people they didn't realize that on their own and it made a huge difference after I told them.

I do squat, but mentally I want to keep treating it like Superhot and dodge left or right. The AI basically seems to just aim at head height as of the time they fire, and it does seem like it only uses your head position to determine if you got hit.

I'm getting slightly better at it but I don't play for that long at a time.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

King Vidiot posted:

I do squat, but mentally I want to keep treating it like Superhot and dodge left or right. The AI basically seems to just aim at head height as of the time they fire, and it does seem like it only uses your head position to determine if you got hit.

I'm getting slightly better at it but I don't play for that long at a time.

Iirc every shot is aimed right at where your head is at the moment it’s fired. You definitely only take damage when you get shot in the head.

I typically end up moving my head in a kind of circular motion with sidesteps and squats.

For instance if you see a single shot fired at you, squat down and it will go right over you. If someone shoots at you while you’re crouching simply stand up and it will phase through your body.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Tip posted:

hey, I'd like to try out Until You Fall, my email is tipmcmahon@gmail.com

Thanks!

Sent, enjoy!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Runner looks like Horizon Vanguard with a lot more polish and significantly better gunplay. I don't know why Horizon Vanguard just gave you a single clunky pistol, but it was obviously the wrong choice for that style of game from the minute you started playing.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Generally a good idea to edit your email addresses back out of the post and reply after this sort of exchange folks.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

armorer posted:

Generally a good idea to edit your email addresses back out of the post and reply after this sort of exchange folks.

maybe if you're a big scaredy pants

my email address is all over the place, I don't care

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

It's not the most polished game but it's very cheap and if there's another game that fits the following criteria I'd be interested in trying it, but the following is why I still love the game 400 hours later:

- gameplay is just punching dots, in a wide range of possible up-down motion (feet to above head) no arm-extending implements or guided 'flow' motions, scored for strength and timing accuracy
- youtube integration
- ability to make beatmaps easily to songs or mixes you love just by doing the actions that you'll then need to match later
- ability to create or already existing long beatmaps that are music mixes, not just one song, of +10 minutes for exercise

Just to debate for funsies.

PowerbeatsVR is actually better as a workout game. It auto gens maps, its decent, and if you know the bpm itll be drat good. And even if you don't its a workout title, not a bop to the song music game. :)

Synth Riders, Audio Trip, and almost any other "music" game is better to dance to.

I don't disagree with the custom map thing to an extent, but I personally never bothered with it in sound boxing, or any other game. Unless I can hit a button and auto gen, I'm not real interested and I'm guessing most people would fall into the same group.

Its just dated. It needs a real refresh badly.

I mean hell. Halodance is actually really kick rear end too, but ya know, same deal. Aged poorly. :(

Oh man, talking about old music games. Audio Shield! Shame that got nerfed :(

EDIT: How do you only have 400 hours in this many years? You've been playing VR crap (sound boxing for example) as long if not longer than me. In fact you had maps up when I first bought that drat game.

Like really, 400 hours? Thats gotta be a mistake.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 17, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

HOLY poo poo FINALLY

Long Defunct ‘Half-Life 2’ VR Mod Sees New Signs of Life

Dr Beef has taken over the HLVR mod and already made major progress, with plans to quickly open source it.

This makes me so happy. I played this on a DK1 with Razer Hydras 8 years ago and it's still one of the best VR games I've ever played.

Their plan to get it perfect before releasing anything was insane because it was already better than most made for VR games. All I wanted was the same mod playable on modern headsets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YES! That is huge news! I was seriously considering buying a set of razer hydras a few years ago just to play the old version

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

they also mentioned that it might open the door to a Portal 2 VR mod

that sounds kinda cool, but despite having great VR legs I don't think I'll be able handle the constant 90 degree rotations of the horizon

I would much rather, if at all possible, get a Left 4 Dead 2 VR mod

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr Beef is a legit VR development hall of famer and a Portal VR of either game would be a true test of VR legs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also trust that if anyone can do it right it’s Dr Beef.

Theyre a wizard with source VR games. I’m honestly sort of surprised they havent been snapped up by valve yet.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Blaston and, as another guy mentioned, Blade & Sorcery get me sweating like nothing else.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Bumbibengt has opened up his game Steel Crew for one final free playtest weekend, good through Sunday night. This is an excellent WW2 tank sim, 3 people to a tank, with very accurately modeled tank interiors, mechanics, etc. I played the hell out of it in the last test and have been anxiously awaiting the next one, I plan on hitting it up quite a bit this weekend.
Best of all you can get it just by hitting the play button on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/905970/Steel_Crew/

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Man alyx is insanely optimized, it runs perfectly on my machine while looking amazing

I hate it started with the loving scary bits though, I'm such a coward

rage-saq posted:

Bumbibengt has opened up his game Steel Crew for one final free playtest weekend, good through Sunday night. This is an excellent WW2 tank sim, 3 people to a tank, with very accurately modeled tank interiors, mechanics, etc. I played the hell out of it in the last test and have been anxiously awaiting the next one, I plan on hitting it up quite a bit this weekend.
Best of all you can get it just by hitting the play button on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/905970/Steel_Crew/

OH poo poo

All my misspent youth on WWIIOnline is gonna come in useful finally

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Alctel posted:

OH poo poo

All my misspent youth on WWIIOnline is gonna come in useful finally

I just played for 2 hours with friends, the game is still great. There were 9 players among 4 tanks (2 russian, 2 US) and it was a real blast, I nailed two great long shots and nearly destroyed a tank when I was 90' rotated and our tank was going full speed down a road, felt great but I'm really sad I missed the moneyshot. I regretted turning tank health up to 200 which requires 2 really well placed shots or 3 general shots, as if it was at the stock 100 he would have been toast and it would have been epic.
Only two tanks and one map yet, but its all really polished and feels really good. Should be launching into EA on steam pretty soon, I think the dev said he was thinking around $15, he has some other maps that are almost done so there should be some more content before long.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Is beat saber playable over airlink? I wany to get it and it seems much less hassle to do custom songs etc on the pc version.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Many people swear it's fine, but even I feel the latency in Beat Saber when using any kind of streaming, official or otherwise. But also it's something one could likely get used to.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also guess there is a difference between normal/hard, and trying to play expert/expert+, with link.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah I'm a casual scrub who only plays on hard and airlink / virtual desktop has been fine for me, although I also seem to be blessed with a great wifi environment. I'm sure if I played with stricter timing windows the limitations would become more apparent

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lightsaber Dojo in Vader Immortal. Three versions, though the Dojo in episode one is saber only which makes it the best workout. The force powers and extra weapons in the later games feel like a bit of a cheat.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

EbolaIvory posted:

Just to debate for funsies.

PowerbeatsVR is actually better as a workout game. It auto gens maps, its decent, and if you know the bpm itll be drat good. And even if you don't its a workout title, not a bop to the song music game. :)

Really really want that Powerbeatsvr update to drop. they said it would be any month now!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Really really want that Powerbeatsvr update to drop. they said it would be any month now!

I just saw their plans on the Steam page

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pretty bummed but I had to refund Table of Tales despite loving what I played of the game. No in-game ability to change the height or angle of the playing table, and it was causing too much neck strain. They must not have play-tested with anyone over 6' tall

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Turin Turambar posted:

I just saw their plans on the Steam page

Waiting for the hastily updated graphic that erases "2022" and replaces it with "2023" or "soon!".

Also I'm sure everybody's seen it but Humble Bundle actually has a decent bundle for once. It's been a while: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr-emporium-bundle

...for anybody who didn't already have most of those.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I've been slowly trying to trickle some freebie QA/QOL stuff into em. Cross your fingers.

Turin Turambar posted:

I also guess there is a difference between normal/hard, and trying to play expert/expert+, with link.

SCheeseman posted:

Many people swear it's fine, but even I feel the latency in Beat Saber when using any kind of streaming, official or otherwise. But also it's something one could likely get used to.

GTO posted:

Is beat saber playable over airlink? I wany to get it and it seems much less hassle to do custom songs etc on the pc version.

I use VD because airlink seems to hate me.

To be honest anything until E+ feels almost the same. E+ Ost works just fine but you DO notice a little goofiness sometimes. Once you hit E+ Customs tho? Naw. I have a dedicated gaming bridge/router setup for JUST my quest, and even dedicated and less than 5 feet anything beyond like 8-9+ nps gets a bit scuffed. Its doable but not to score well.

Its way better than it used to be though.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How much of an improvement is the link cable over a good wifi setup? I'm glad my computer can run Alyx given the difficulty of upgrading but there was some noticeable lag. I'm not sure I'd want to do a rhythm game over airlink.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A cable gives you the reliability of a wired connection. AirLink is good but it’s nice to have a cable for the times you don’t want to deal with its shortcomings.

Also you don’t need the official one, any decent USB-C cable works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tagichatn posted:

How much of an improvement is the link cable over a good wifi setup? I'm glad my computer can run Alyx given the difficulty of upgrading but there was some noticeable lag. I'm not sure I'd want to do a rhythm game over airlink.

Its like playing on a normal wired headset with no latency issues.

Music games (outside of beat saber and audica that the high high end), are honestly fine on VR/Link. Assuming you don't have poo poo wifi/network stuff. Its really only when notes and poo poo are coming so fast its actually moving between frames you dont see/dropped/latency. Which isn't anything OST.