Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

For everyone else, including the people who were talking about how modesty of all kinds is a good thing, let me make it clear that this is about some pretty specific crap up there. This thread in particular is great about discussing the hottest of hot button topics openly, sensitively, and without wallowing in ugliness. It’s very possible to talk about this without going full :biotruths: . In fact if you want to see great examples of that there are plenty of other posters doing exactly that in this thread.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jupiter Jazz posted:

No one said anything about being treated "less than human". This is your own personal supposition and failure.

Everyone has already responded well to everything you've said but I want to pick on this
'objectification' is literally treating someone as an object rather than a whole person
Like that's... What that word means.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Everyone has already responded well to everything you've said but I want to pick on this
'objectification' is literally treating someone as an object rather than a whole person
Like that's... What that word means.

To quote Granny Weatherwax in her conversation with Quite Reverend Mightily-Praiseworthy-Are-Ye-Who-Exalteth-Om Oats, in Carpe Jugulum:

quote:

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
"It's a lot more complicated than that--"
"No. It ain't. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they're getting worried that they won't like the truth. People as things, that's where it starts."
"Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes--"
"But they starts with thinking about people as things."

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

zonohedron posted:

Granny Weatherwax

A fabulous source of wisdom. What i wouldn't give for a tenth of Pterry's insight.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Goblin Craft posted:

I don't think anyone's saying that in here.

In light of recent events, I hereby retract this post. The benefit of the doubt has been nullified.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cyrano4747 posted:

And double gently caress off with trying to cloak it in faith to dress it up as something respectable.

I think this is the part that troubled me most. There aren't any religions, Islam included, that preach dehumanization or breaking down humans into sets of interchangeable parts. Religion to me involves finding the humanity in everyone.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i'm glad we can all agree on 'gently caress incel poo poo'

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Coming back and reading this after work, let me apologize for not reading more closely and trying to engage with that stuff credulously.

edit: and for any Muslim lurkers this is not a reaction to Islam as a faith. Doing some quick reading the views expressed here today don't seem to be much in keeping with mainstream Islamic thought but I'd much rather hear commentary and reflection from Muslims and people that have studied the faith more than a quick google search.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 15, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Coming back and reading this after work, let me apologize for not reading more closely and trying to engage with that stuff credulously.

Yeah, I made the mistake of responding seriously to this...

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Bingo. I dress in suits and polos.

...when the fedora joke was right there.

Oh well. On the plus side, it says something positive about the typically solid quality of this thread.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
In lighter news,

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/11/1036371531/evangelical-lutheran-church-first-transgender-bishop-megan-rohrer

Transgender Bishop Steps Into Historic Role In The Evangelical Lutheran Church :toot:

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America installed its first openly transgender bishop in a service held in San Francisco's Grace Cathedral on Saturday.

The Rev. Megan Rohrer will lead one of the church's 65 synods, overseeing nearly 200 congregations in Northern California and northern Nevada.

"My call is ... to be up to the same messy, loving things I was up to before," Rohrer told worshippers. "But mostly, if you'll let me, and I think you will, my hope is to love you and beyond that, to love what you love."

Rohrer was elected in May to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Sierra Pacific Synod after its current bishop announced his retirement.

"I step into this role because a diverse community of Lutherans in Northern California and Nevada prayerfully and thoughtfully voted to do a historic thing," Rohrer said in a statement. "My installation will celebrate all that is possible when we trust God to shepherd us forward."

from my home state too!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/EgirlSeppuku/status/1437948408334110722?s=19

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Ah, the Holy Icositrigon

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Freudian posted:

TEKIAH

SHEVARIM-T'RUAH

TEKIAH

TEKIAH

SHEVARIM

TEKIAH

TEKIAH

T'RUAH

TEKIAH

TEKIAH GEDOLAH

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Edit: Accidental blasphemy.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 17, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There is no way that Our Lady of O'Keefe up there isn't supposed to be what it looks like.

edit: Very helpful halo, though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is no way that Our Lady of O'Keefe up there isn't supposed to be what it looks like.

edit: Very helpful halo, though.

.....I think you’re right.... sorry to make you all see that. :(

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

One of the regulars at the cafe I work at handed me a Chick-Tract with his name and number on it and said “Read this and call me; I’d love to chat with you about it!” Fortunately he did not ask me my religious affiliation. Funny timing as I’m leaving for the monastery for 2 weeks on Sunday. If you could say a quick prayer for me that this experience is fruitful I would appreciate it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

One of the regulars at the cafe I work at handed me a Chick-Tract with his name and number on it and said “Read this and call me; I’d love to chat with you about it!” Fortunately he did not ask me my religious affiliation. Funny timing as I’m leaving for the monastery for 2 weeks on Sunday. If you could say a quick prayer for me that this experience is fruitful I would appreciate it.

I'll also pray that he forgets he did that!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

He knows, I guarantee you. One of your coworkers probably mentioned it to him in small talk since it is pretty unusual and interesting and he took that as an invitation. Which one was it? The Buddhist chick tract is super-lame it’s just a rich Asian dude everyone loves going to hell, they don’t even print it anymore. All the other non-Protestant religions got delightful rabid nonsense about moon gods and satanic conspiracies and Buddhists just get a form letter.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The one about a skinwalker accepting Christ is such a wild ride.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He knows, I guarantee you. One of your coworkers probably mentioned it to him in small talk since it is pretty unusual and interesting and he took that as an invitation. Which one was it? The Buddhist chick tract is super-lame it’s just a rich Asian dude everyone loves going to hell, they don’t even print it anymore. All the other non-Protestant religions got delightful rabid nonsense about moon gods and satanic conspiracies and Buddhists just get a form letter.
If I have to guess it's because Buddhists didn't do anything that got his proto-Fox News consciousness het up, so he just did something to cover that base. It would have been very entertaining to see him try to write a tract against Jodo Shinshu, though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m Catholic, I’m not sure how unusual and interesting that is. :shrug:

Edit: It was this one.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure chick thinks Catholics worship baphomet or some such thing. Idk las time a saw a chick tract it was on a urinal at the Costco. Appropriate location I think

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m Catholic, I’m not sure how unusual and interesting that is. :shrug:

Edit: It was this one.

A monastery stay is and chick tracts and the people who give them out don’t consider Catholics “true christians”. There was a megaphone street preacher around here who got a slot in an Easter Day parade (it used city funds so it couldn’t discriminate on religion I think) where he made quite a few anti-papal viewpoints known. Same dude does his schtick for a big fundraiser the archdiocese holds for their orphanage each year because it sells beer, has gambling and also involves Catholics.

I spoke to a dude from his church filming him and they were actually anabaptist (I was surprised by this) and extremely angry and filled with grievance about persecution from the reformation era. They were naming specific events.

Gaius Marius posted:

Pretty sure chick thinks Catholics worship baphomet or some such thing. Idk las time a saw a chick tract it was on a urinal at the Costco. Appropriate location I think

I’ve found two chick tracts both urinal-based. This is a favored planting location apparently.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I used to find them in the can at a specific chinese restaurant in Poplar Bluff, Missouri every time I went there.

I frequently find them on unrented tables at a local flea market in Michigan. I throw them away.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've always wanted to rewrite a Chick Tract into weird Orthobro nonsense, but I've never been quite bored enough to do it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Roman Catholics, according to Chick tracts, secretly worship Baal (which one? Who knows), unknown to most rank and file Catholics. The Vatican also created like...Islam, Freemasonry, the Nazis, and other stuff. Mary is also Isis, I think? Anyway, it's all.....SATAN! Satan all the way down!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Not to mention the power of...The Death Cookie.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The only time Ive gotten a chick tract, i was approached directly by a very sweet old woman in the subway station. She didn't seem to do this for anyone else so maybe something about my appearance had her concerned for me?
It was one of the very generic 'did you know? hell exists and you're going!' ones at least, less offensive than some of the others.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Funny timing as I’m leaving for the monastery for 2 weeks on Sunday. If you could say a quick prayer for me that this experience is fruitful I would appreciate it.

I am in admiration of your perseverance. Knock and it shall be opened.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I want to share this tract I got where the tract itself was deemed too lewd for the public and each one was individually censored by the person giving them out.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Worthleast posted:

I am in admiration of your perseverance. Knock and it shall be opened.

Thank you. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Freudian posted:

TEKIAH GEDOLAH

From teaching the kiddos about where shofars come from this year...

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

See, this is why the Gentiles think we have horns!!!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Freudian posted:

It's all fun and games until the new rebbetzin accidentally reinforces antisemitic tropes!

Shevarim!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Freudian posted:

Do you have the typo in Exodus about Moses having horns as well, or is that just a St. Jerome thing?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Do you have the typo in Exodus about Moses having horns as well, or is that just a St. Jerome thing?

It's not a typo, but a mistranslation. Keren in Hebrew is a ray, a line that emerges from a single point. So that got translated as "horn."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Worthleast posted:

They look like little cat ears :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

HopperUK posted:

They look like little cat ears :3:

Y'know, Moses was said to have a speech impediment. Maybe he just talked like an uwu zoomer catboy.