Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The G1 Climax starts tomorrow and is the most anticipated event of New Japan's calendar outside of Wrestle Kingdom. It's their signature yearly round robin heavyweight tournament lasting a month+ and consisting of two blocks of 10 wrestlers each culmina

lol it's 2021. we're well over a year into the era of covid restricted clap crowds, depleted rosters,questionable booking, and running way too many shows with weaker lineups to compensate for the smaller crowds. if you care enough to click on a 2021 new japan thread for more than schadenfreude you know the situation and what to expect.

western fan interest is at its nadir in the modern era and voices of wrestling isn't even running a pick em this year. and yes, we're going to be in for some mediocre to terrible matches dragged down by restricted crowds, and a ton of bullshit most of us are sick of in evil and yujiro's matches. it's still the loving g1 and i feel the summer dome show headlined by an incredible tanahashi vs shingo main event shows that this company is still capable of delivering truly special matches in the right circumstances. this is exactly sort of thing that draws me to japanese wrestling as aew is never gonna be able to pull something like this off no matter how hot they get and let's hope new japan can deliver the best they can under lovely circumstances.

these circumstances just got worse with naito's injury but the tournament continues on thursday. naito will be replaced for the rest of the tour with a junior teammate or a third gen vet facing his orignally scheduled opponent

https://www.njpw1972.com/104513

finals tomorrow morning

G1 Climax 31 Finals
October 21st at 5:00 EDT/10:00 BST/18:00 JST
Nippon Budokan

Opening Match(4:30 EDT start time):Ryohei Oiwa and Kosei Fujita vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru
Toru Yano and Yuji Nagata vs. United Empire (Jeff Cobb and Great-O-Khan)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. House of Torture (EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi, and SHO)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, GBH, and Tiger Mask vs. Bullet Club (KENTA, G.o.D, and Chase Owens)
TenCozy, Taguchi, and Wato vs. L.I.J (Shingo, SANADA, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax 31 Finals:Kota Ibushi vs. Kazuchika Okada

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

G1 baby! :woop:

I know it's weaker than normal but I'm still excited, yay pro-wrestling! Yay the G1!

Crossposting my terrible predictions so you can all laugh at me when they go wrong (but secretly I believe they're right and you'll all be humbled when I'm proved a genius!):

Well there it is, putting out my shameful picks for the world to see. It all makes perfect sense to me which just means my despair will grow exponentially as the G1 goes on, which is part of the fun!

Yes it's a little lazy but I'm picking basically the same ending to both blocks: Ibushi vs. KENTA and Okada vs. Cobb to main event their respective final block tournament nights, with KENTA playing spoiler to Ibushi to allow Shingo to proceed to the final, while Okada ruins SANADA's hopes and dreams by defeating Cobb to catch up to SANADA on points and tiebreak by virtue of beating him earlier in the tournament. As a bonus, KENTA loving about with Yujiro at the start of the tournament (Night 3) results in him costing himself the Block since he would have advanced over Shingo AND Ibushi otherwise :smug:

Then Okada beats Shingo in the final to set up Wrestle Kingdom, and Gedo fires Dick Togo and asks me to replace him as assistant booker :shobon:

Post your predictions!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I think either Okada or Shingo wins the G1 this year.

No way am I filling out a full bracket this year!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

okada and naito seem to be the only guys who could do it. tana has the secondary belt that's now effectively being used as the new ic, it's nto going to be ibushi again, and you'd think they'd need a top guy as shingo's not totally made on quite that level yet.

then again with the briefcase gimmick and the three days of wrestle kingdom they could conceivably throw a curveball with a lot of guys

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okada really does seem the most likely to me, I wouldn't be adverse to Ibushi but he's been so heavily involved in G1 Finals and Wrestle Kingdoms the last 2-3 years it feels like it's the right time for a change, and Okada has been goofing about a little lower down the card for long enough now that it feels like about the right time for him to step back up to main event status. It'll also REALLY cement Shingo as the top guy if he beats him to retain the belt at Wrestle Kingdom.

Also thanks as always Thauros for putting such informative and constantly updated OPs together!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Shingo is at least making the Finals and ends up winning the whole thing so they can do *sigh* Will vs Shingo at the dome

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Shingo is at least making the Finals and ends up winning the whole thing so they can do *sigh* Will vs Shingo at the dome

Will vs. Shingo at the dome, winner faces Danielson.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
shingo is hype af (obviously) and yea okada makes sense i think

i like the way jerusalem books tho

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I am once again predicting Tetsuya Naito to win the G1.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am officially declaring that this is the year I've been waiting for all this time. The winner will be the best wrestler in the world, the G1 MVP the goddamn Stone Pitbull Big Tom Ishii.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually I think Will probably won't want to travel to Japan so you could have Shingo win and beat Okada and than Okada beat Will in San Jose to set up Belt vs Belt at the Dome

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm just happy Bushiroad and CyberAgent have coordinated to make sure I can watch both the G1 and N-1 shows this weekend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is pretty cool: https://www.g1climax.jp/exp.html

It's a contest but forget that aspect of it (or don't, I'm not your mother), looks like if you click on each card you can see the percentage of people's predictions of who will win each match. Pouring one out for the 6% of respondents who think Yujiro is gonna beat Ibushi.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Crossposting my prediction from the general thread, remember these were made before the fixtures were released so I made assumptions on what would be on the final nights. Even after than passion filled interview he gave the other day I still have no faith in Sanada

SG Bamboo posted:

Decied to post my predictions here for posterity, so it's on the record how little faith I have in SANADA. Also because 2021 has been Yoshi-Hashi's year, it's time for him to finally beat his perfect brother Kazu in their third singles meeting post-excursion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
SANADA should win. This isn't a prediction and i'm not doing G1 math this year but SANADA should win.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Lid posted:

SANADA should win. This isn't a prediction and i'm not doing G1 math this year but SANADA should win.

i dont think he would be a bad choice. i was thinking i was crazy for seeing it

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Posting this for posterity, mocking, etc

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I'm picking Naito/Okada for the finals, Okada wins. And hell with it, it's only my third G1, I'm amped for this despite it all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

I still have no faith in Sanada

try the new taco place posted:

Okay you're all entitled to your opinions of course but both of you predicting Chase beats SANADA is a cruel step too far! :gonk:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I might be Yujiro's biggest fan on this site, but there's no way he doesn't finish last in the group. Still, I admire your bravery friend.

Also, what do you guys think is the over/under on draws this tournament? Last two years haven't had any whilst the three before them did, and NOAH already did one this year (with two competitors at a combined age of 109)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't pick any draws this time around, it didn't even occur to me when I went through match-up by match-up, almost every match seemed to have a clear "this guy should win, this guy should lose" aspect to it. Probably the only couple of matches I could see that might work with draws would be Tanahashi/Okada and Shingo/Ibushi.

If they do any, I'm of two minds whether it should be reserved for a big match with major consequences, or just part of some dumb Bullet Club bullshit that plays into whatever storyline they've got going with their various inner factions like House of Torture etc so they don't impact on anybody else.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Jerusalem posted:

Okay you're all entitled to your opinions of course but both of you predicting Chase beats SANADA is a cruel step too far! :gonk:

I think SANADA is going to win a lot of matches, HOWEVER, i also hate him. Also i am positive my O Khan and Yujiro point numbers are wrong but i had to do things to not have massive ties that would confuse me to break

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Finals: Shingo vs SANADA

Winner: SANADA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I think SANADA is going to win a lot of matches, HOWEVER, i also hate him. Also i am positive my O Khan and Yujiro point numbers are wrong but i had to do things to not have massive ties that would confuse me to break

I was threads #1 hater of SANADA for years now, it was a running bit up there with hot Shooter needed to gain another kilos to his fat rear end, and even i'm willing to put it aside to say in this very moment at this time he is the best choice of winner because NJPW is currently in a deep deep pit and they cannot go back to the three pillars well of Okada/Tanahashi/Naito with the added issue the G1 this year is so razor thin in talent the only "new" blood that can and should be elevated is SANADA as all the other options are not good objectively, like Yujiro et al, or not good from a business perspective, like Ishii or Taichi.

The fact is Hiromu Takahashi would've been the best choice if they put him in here but like Vince McMahon he's just too short. So SANADA it is.

I know Hiromu's probably injured because Hiromu's always injured but seriously them not pulling the trigger on him by now has gone from eyerolling "juniors in NJPW" to actively detrimental to the company to "what is wrong with you".

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tama tonga is going to the final babey

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not doing a full bracket this year but I'm saying Okada over Ishii in the final

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stream is up and I am excited

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Naito vs ZSJ should be good and Shingo vs Ishii should be the Beefiest Beef to have ever Beefed. Rest of the card seems alright to me.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
tonga loa being real in his interview

i wish him success in the gee one

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
seriously wonder what yujiros saying. is he calling out naito lol

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure I read in these very forums that there's a plan to give Chase a push in this G1, and for me that means he's going over New Japan's resident handsome waste of space

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm sure I read in these very forums that there's a plan to give Chase a push in this G1, and for me that means he's going over New Japan's resident handsome waste of space

This leads me to wonder exactly what kind of dirt Chase has on Gedo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

The "push" is going to be his increasing fear that he's going to end up with no points and panicked but failing attempts to win or even draw, until he finally manages to by complete bullshit to get a win over Taichi, get cocky, only to be humiliated by a clean loss to YOSHI-HASHI on the final night of B Block :colbert:

"Stay down, B A R S B A Y," YOSHI-HASHI will sneer at him after the match ends, and thus ends Chase Owens in the G1. FOREVER!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i was reading old voices of wrestling issues and critics seemed to like chase a lot when he first started. i dont think his actual skill level is that bad he has some neat moves

i know vaguely that he did some creepy things but is his wrestling that bad? is it just not good enough to "make up" for the creepy things?

kind of just posting, trashed, feel free not to talk about chase owens

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Let's go larger Young Lion, beat that dirtbag so bad he joins United Empire

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

What in the world is this musical intro

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gently caress yes video package time! G1! :woop:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
this song is good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

What in the world is this musical intro

It's spoilers, Shingo is gonna fight with a real sword!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

take the moon posted:

i was reading old voices of wrestling issues and critics seemed to like chase a lot when he first started. i dont think his actual skill level is that bad he has some neat moves

i know vaguely that he did some creepy things but is his wrestling that bad? is it just not good enough to "make up" for the creepy things?

kind of just posting, trashed, feel free not to talk about chase owens

I like Chase as a performer, he's a solid lower card heel when he doesn't have to go half an hour. Plus he reminds me of my early days watching New Japan, with the lovely ustream shows and the ridiculousness of Bruce Tharpe and the NWA invasion