Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
I thought it was fun, if entirely inconsequential. At first I figured it would end with Beard confronting Ted in some way, but of course being one of the bonus episodes it was never gonna affect the main storyline. What struck me though was how completely out-of-place Ted seemed when he appeared at the end, like from a different show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
How many episodes is this season?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They said there were two extra episodes dropped in, so the second it was announced this weeks was focused on him it felt obvious this was the other throwaway one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Love that the Apple TV+ execs meddle in their shows just like old broadcast execs. I thought that time was past.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

smackfu posted:

Love that the Apple TV+ execs meddle in their shows just like old broadcast execs. I thought that time was past.

It'll never be done, just like how streaming hasn't meant walls between networks has gone.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Looks like the first episode of the new season of THE MORNING SHOW dropped, too.

For some reason, I was expecting that on the 24th. (Which as I found out, is actually when FOUNDATION drops!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

smackfu posted:

Lol what made you think that? All these shows are constantly meddled with.

But, like, let's be honest, the people behind this show could have done whatever they wanted with the two extra episodes. They chose not to integrate them into the season.

They could have pushed them both to Christmas and made an X-mas two parter if they wanted. Or they could have extended their plot, found different ways to break the season, etc. etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loved the Beard episode but I’m a huge After Hours fan so it was always gonna get me

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I'm going to need to let this episode marinate in my head for a bit.

I expected some development on the Beard/Jane relationship, but I did not expect that. Still felt ambiguous at the end, which is fine and how relationships go sometimes, but you could see him having a revelation that she's ultimately toxic for him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I am also a big fan of the Beard episode. I especially loved the bit when he gets to the club and starts dancing because it gave me huge deja vu to times I didn't have my phone/got separated from groups while out. Then I realized how much I miss going out :(

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

They said there were two extra episodes dropped in, so the second it was announced this weeks was focused on him it felt obvious this was the other throwaway one.

Ok good. Was worried there was only one episode left.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

blast0rama posted:

Looks like the first episode of the new season of THE MORNING SHOW dropped, too.

For some reason, I was expecting that on the 24th. (Which as I found out, is actually when FOUNDATION drops!)

I was expecting it a few weeks ago, it was appearing in listings for the beginning of the month. Probably got pushed back. I enjoyed the first season and it'll be interesting to see where it goes now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://tvline.com/2021/09/17/ted-l...Rm31ShovCbCNZ1s

"TVLINE | This episode is quite unique in a number of ways. First, talk a bit about how the idea to follow Beard on this bizarro night out came to be.
When we were putting the season together, it was originally going to be 10 episodes. And when you start the season writing process, you just pitch a bunch of different ideas. In the end, you probably have 20 ideas that you like. You whittle that down to what are the most important, and this was not in the final 10. We were starting to write the scripts as Season 1 was being released, and Apple was so enthusiastic. They said, “First of all, you’re picked up for Season 2. And second, could you do two more episodes in Season 2?” So we went back to the discard pile and everybody picked their favorites. In the end, Jason Sudeikis had the final say and he said, “All right. We’re going to do a Christmas episode, and we’re going to do ‘Beard After Hours...
In the beginning, we didn’t even know for sure if the episode was going to be all Beard or if we were going to jump into other storylines. At one point, there was a pitch — it didn’t get very far — where Beard finds himself at a falafel stand or something, and Sam is there. He’s nervous and you don’t know why. And then Sam’s falafel order comes up and it’s two falafels, and I’m like, “Two falafels?” And he answers, “Yeah, no reason. Got to go.” And then he jumps into Rebecca’s car and off they go. But in the end, we decided to make it organic to what would Beard actually be doing: He would go to the bar. If adventures were going to happen, it had to start from there and with these people. Once we locked into that, it was so much fun. Mae’s greatness speaks for itself, as does Annette Badland’s storied career. But the other three guys had not gotten much chance to show their stuff, and they’re incredible. And they love working together and hanging out with each other."

I knew about this because the thread, but reading it in an interview is still crazy.

edit:
spoiled the text from the interview. It is mostly talking about this episode and the Christmas episode were not originally part of the season but I spoiled it so nobody gets anything spoiled from this week that hasn't seen the episode.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 17, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
They had a man unconvincingly jump off a roof in the Ted Lasso show. So weird and bad.

I'm still so confused by what we were supposed to take from anything that happened. They have a character manifest a hallucination declaring he hates himself and might be suicidal ("Shut up, Thierry Henry!" was a fun runner though). And he's very upset that he didn't...protest a strategy harder?

Then they seem to treat reuniting with Jane after she texted 'I love you' as a celebratory moment that gets him back on track?

Despite her texts apparently reading:

quote:

Hey I do Love you, you know I said I love you I LOVE YOU
Oh, now you can't say it back cos I took too long?
gently caress you Beard.
I did what you asked.
I'm literally doing what you asked.
gently caress you Beard
You konw there's a lot of men after me tonight I turned down three guys already. Make that four.
A guy kissed me while I was writing that text
YOu're a real piece of work Beard
I'm never gonna speak to you again
You've got 10 seconds to call me
Times up.
Right. We're done. I
'm having the best night.
I realize how fun life is without you around me.
<picture>
You would have loved this place.
But you would'vev ruined it.
I don't even love you. It was a joke.
I thought you liked jokes.
Oh god my dress just fell off. How annoying!!!
Listen. You know that time you said you anted to meet my mum, and I said you couldn't meet her. I wasn't embarrassed about her. But you know what, I am embarrassed about you.
You're embarrassing
My mum's loving amazing.
I'm willing to consider you're not getting these texts because your battery died.
And if that's the case I'm truly sorry.
It's hard to discuss feelinfs
I know you always say I'm really reasonable but you don't know this about me... Sometimes I can be a bit emotional.
So maybe I'm lashing out. OK
Nothing?
Still...nothing?
For real??? This is too far.
Ok I literally couldn't fgive a gently caress what you're doing but don't yoy dare ever speak to me again.
Don't come crawling back to me. Ever. You're dead to me.
Literally dead, like, I hope you're lying face down in a ditch somewhere and a squirrel is eating you. A loving squirrel is eating you from the feet up until all that's left is your loving stupid beard and nothing else. I mean it.
Or oyu've been hit by a train.
poo poo. Beard? You HAVENT been hit by a train have you?
Baerd?
Just reply so I know you're not dead.
Cos I'd feel like poo poo If you were dead.
<picture>

I'm just confused (and bored).

Escobarbarian posted:

Loved the Beard episode but I’m a huge After Hours fan so it was always gonna get me
The...Cracked sketch show?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The most underrated Scorsese movie that this episode + title are an overt reference to haha

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
At one point, there was a pitch — it didn’t get very far — where Beard finds himself at a falafel stand or something, and Sam is there. He’s nervous and you don’t know why. And then Sam’s falafel order comes up and it’s two falafels, and I’m like, “Two falafels?” And he answers, “Yeah, no reason. Got to go.”

This would have been a great quick little scene. It’s their show, not mine, artistic license and all that but that scene description make me laugh.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I thought this episode was great and I love every minute Beard is on screen. I actually went and looked up Brendan Hunt's wiki page and as it turns out a ton of stuff from this episode was lifted directly from his life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Hunt

Also enjoying the hell out of See. Momoa, Bautista and Witchfinder guy are all fantastic.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I’d suggest people look at the Twitter of the comedian who played the hotel receptionist. He’s very good.

https://twitter.com/mralistairgreen?s=21

Loved the episode, and it’s probably saved some of the further ones from falling too much into late season scrubs problems.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I enjoyed it. It wasn't a typical Ted Lasso episode but it was a fun little side story. Shut up, Thierry Henry!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That episode probably should've stayed in the discard pile, but it wouldn't really stick out if you were binging. Wonder if Apple will keep asking for extra episodes if they see everyone skipping over these two [edit: on a rewatch].

I also kinda wish they left Beard's life up to my imagination. Or went way whackier.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 18, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What makes you think people are skipping them? You, who thinks it should have been left in the discard pile, apparently watched it. I imagine most other fans of the show will too.

I don't really go looking for reviews online but I do know a bunch of people who watch Ted Lasso and none of them have had the negative reaction to this or the christmas episode that I've seen here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Ted Lasso backlash entirely exists on the internet lmao

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

What makes you think people are skipping them? You, who thinks it should have been left in the discard pile, apparently watched it. I imagine most other fans of the show will too.

I don't really go looking for reviews online but I do know a bunch of people who watch Ted Lasso and none of them have had the negative reaction to this or the christmas episode that I've seen here.

Whoops, skipping on rewatch, is what I meant to say.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean Ted Lasso has the extremely limited audience of apple fanatics and pirates in most of the world so I struggle with even finding anyone outside of Twitter who has even heard of this show.

EDIT: Which is of course true for all non-Netflix shows these days.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

So does the show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

My girlfriend gave up watching it week to week after the Xmas show. She's not just on the internet. I think this season has been kinda meandering and boring with no stakes. I'm not just in the internet. Of the like five of us discussing it on here there's a few that have the same complaints.

The show is still good, it's just not as good as that first season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shows can be exceptional, novel, interesting or just really competent. Ted Lasso had novelty going for it by being a anti-soap opera that flipped tropes of the genre at its head. Problem is that now that the novelty has dropped due to the premise being basically fully explored (as is growing more evident by the episode) it's just a competent but poorly paced show.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just disappointing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MiddleOne posted:

Shows can be exceptional, novel, interesting or just really competent. Ted Lasso had novelty going for it by being a anti-soap opera that flipped tropes of the genre at its head. Problem is that now that the novelty has dropped due to the premise being basically fully explored (as is growing more evident by the episode) it's just a competent but poorly paced show.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just disappointing.

I think you nailed it with that explanation.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think disappointment from 1st to 2nd season makes sense with regards to narrative arcs, but I can trust that the writers are playing the long game with the show/characters and I'm enjoying the ride...

Except for these obvious 2 filler episodes which felt like a complete waste of time.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They're only doing three seasons correct? I think they can turn this season around with two really strong closing episodes and then hopefully be back in form for the final season when they beat Man City in the FA Cup.

I would also like to point out that this show has taught me what the FA Cup is and I think it's one of the coolest things in sports.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Robobot posted:

They're only doing three seasons correct? I think they can turn this season around with two really strong closing episodes and then hopefully be back in form for the final season when they beat Man City in the FA Cup.

I would also like to point out that this show has taught me what the FA Cup is and I think it's one of the coolest things in sports.

Bill Lawrence said something like "Jason Sudeikis is only in for three seasons" for travel reasons, and so that's what they have sketched out. I'm sure they can find a way to extend that though, like have Roy go to America, or back up the money truck.

Also I think this season is great. I'm getting frustrated by the meandering episodes when I'm looking forward all week to some new Ted Lasso and they're not what I want. Other than the two of those, it's on season one's level for sure. And if you enjoyed those, even better!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Shows can be exceptional, novel, interesting or just really competent. Ted Lasso had novelty going for it by being a anti-soap opera that flipped tropes of the genre at its head.

"Anti-soap opera"? I don't really understand what you mean by that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Bill Lawrence said something like "Jason Sudeikis is only in for three seasons" for travel reasons, and so that's what they have sketched out. I'm sure they can find a way to extend that though, like have Roy go to America, or back up the money truck.

Also I think this season is great. I'm getting frustrated by the meandering episodes when I'm looking forward all week to some new Ted Lasso and they're not what I want. Other than the two of those, it's on season one's level for sure. And if you enjoyed those, even better!

I wish it could go more than three so we could somehow end up with Ted coaching in the Champions League.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saying that Lasso doesn’t have any stakes or that they’ve exhausted the premise already is ridiculous. This season has done some great interior work with several characters, and from a psychological point of view it’s fantastic. And I care about that stuff far more than I do if they win the bloody match

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The changes in season 2 feels like they are planning for the show to run for a long time, so that they can do Ted Lasso without the main character.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be that guy. I loved that episode. LOVED it. I loved the journey Beard went on. I loved the emotional place it took him to, and I loved that Jane (is that right?) was there in his moment of magic. Right when he was at his darkest, his all is lost moment, he has this built up cathartic release and she steps in. I was crying at that moment.

It's funny because I was expecting TVIV to love this one because goons loved the two side stories in Mythic Quest. I hated those two side stories for the same reasons that people don't like the Beard episode. I thought they were boring and irrelevant to the bigger picture. I don't know why this one worked on me while MQ's side stories didn't, but I think the writer of this episode deserves some sort of award... or cookie... or sticker. Hey, did I mention I REALLY liked it?

I also appreciate the Road Trip genre in one town thing. I always have. Different sights, weird people, small vignettes of other's lives while moving towards an ultimate emotional climax for our protagonist just gets me. This is what Ted is missing. Ted lives for football (US and now UK), but Beard lives!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I also really liked, although I thought at one point the whole night was going to be a hallucination/concussion dream where at the very end someone like Roy or Nate would keep saying "Beard, Beard, you dropped your keys, snap out of it" and he would still be in the locker room, having gone through the emotional journey in his head. It wasn't until the three guys went onto the pitch that I realized that the whole night was real.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm going to be that guy. I loved that episode. LOVED it. I loved the journey Beard went on. I loved the emotional place it took him to, and I loved that Jane (is that right?) was there in his moment of magic. Right when he was at his darkest, his all is lost moment, he has this built up cathartic release and she steps in. I was crying at that moment.

It's funny because I was expecting TVIV to love this one because goons loved the two side stories in Mythic Quest. I hated those two side stories for the same reasons that people don't like the Beard episode. I thought they were boring and irrelevant to the bigger picture. I don't know why this one worked on me while MQ's side stories didn't, but I think the writer of this episode deserves some sort of award... or cookie... or sticker. Hey, did I mention I REALLY liked it?

I also appreciate the Road Trip genre in one town thing. I always have. Different sights, weird people, small vignettes of other's lives while moving towards an ultimate emotional climax for our protagonist just gets me. This is what Ted is missing. Ted lives for football (US and now UK), but Beard lives!

I agree with almost all of this but I’m not sure Jane is actually good for him. There’s a transcript of the texts she sent somewhere and they go way over the border into abusive. I’m not sure if the show’s intending this to be dangerous/a red flag though, or trying to do a “they’re dysfunctional but perfect for each other!!!!!” thing - obviously before this episode that seemed to clearly be the case, but those texts give me pause and if they’re intended to be part of that it was a far bigger misstep than “having extra episodes” imo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just going to re-post the excellent transcript from higher up on the page as there are people who clearly didn't read.

It's uh, it's bad.

Hey I do Love you, you know I said I love you I LOVE YOU
Oh, now you can't say it back cos I took too long?
gently caress you Beard.
I did what you asked.
I'm literally doing what you asked.
gently caress you Beard
You konw there's a lot of men after me tonight I turned down three guys already. Make that four.
A guy kissed me while I was writing that text
YOu're a real piece of work Beard
I'm never gonna speak to you again
You've got 10 seconds to call me
Times up.
Right. We're done. I
'm having the best night.
I realize how fun life is without you around me.
<picture>
You would have loved this place.
But you would'vev ruined it.
I don't even love you. It was a joke.
I thought you liked jokes.
Oh god my dress just fell off. How annoying!!!
Listen. You know that time you said you anted to meet my mum, and I said you couldn't meet her. I wasn't embarrassed about her. But you know what, I am embarrassed about you.
You're embarrassing
My mum's loving amazing.
I'm willing to consider you're not getting these texts because your battery died.
And if that's the case I'm truly sorry.
It's hard to discuss feelinfs
I know you always say I'm really reasonable but you don't know this about me... Sometimes I can be a bit emotional.
So maybe I'm lashing out. OK
Nothing?
Still...nothing?
For real??? This is too far.
Ok I literally couldn't fgive a gently caress what you're doing but don't yoy dare ever speak to me again.
Don't come crawling back to me. Ever. You're dead to me.
Literally dead, like, I hope you're lying face down in a ditch somewhere and a squirrel is eating you. A loving squirrel is eating you from the feet up until all that's left is your loving stupid beard and nothing else. I mean it.
Or oyu've been hit by a train.
poo poo. Beard? You HAVENT been hit by a train have you?
Baerd?
Just reply so I know you're not dead.
Cos I'd feel like poo poo If you were dead.
<picture>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

People on Twitter and in general are propping this season of Ted lasso up like they do marvel shows. It’s fine junk food but don’t act like like it’s more than that. Season one of Ted was better than this. By a fair margin.

Also, it amazes me that the super strong progressives on line will talk endlessly about me too and then fine with a sexual relationship that utterly doesn’t work here (a boss) and the mind rape in wandvision like it’s no biggie.

The morning show handles sex in the workplace with few more grace than either of those shows and nobody talks about it because it shows how icky it all is and how complex it can be.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 19, 2021