Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They better get Nozawa in the recording booth soon to give every variation of “waku waku" possible, she’s gonna be 85 in a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You figure with how fast voice-mimic tech is going, within a decade they'll be able to sample her massive lifetime of Goku voice clips and have Goku-in-a-can. Hell, it'd allow them to let Goku sound young again so he can get back to doing Kaiokenx4 level murderscreams.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black August posted:

You figure with how fast voice-mimic tech is going, within a decade they'll be able to sample her massive lifetime of Goku voice clips and have Goku-in-a-can. Hell, it'd allow them to let Goku sound young again so he can get back to doing Kaiokenx4 level murderscreams.

I am surprised she can still do all the screaming necessary for a Dragon Ball protagonist at her age, the woman must have iron clad lungs or something.

But yeah, I am sort of curious what the plan is when Nozawa finally passes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I am surprised she can still do all the screaming necessary for a Dragon Ball protagonist at her age, the woman must have iron clad lungs or something.

They'll use the Dragon Balls to revive her, obviously.

I'm not convinced they haven't used them to wish for her immortality though. It'd explain how she can somehow keep screaming like she does at her age.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

They'll use the Dragon Balls to revive her, obviously.

I'm not convinced they haven't used them to wish for her immortality though. It'd explain how she can somehow keep screaming like she does at her age.

True, if her voice is still in as good a shape as it is currently Masako Nozawa will never die (and even if she does they might have enough voice clips now to cobble together an AI simulation to take over).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Larryb posted:

In Japan, they generally never recast a voice actor until they pass away.

King Kai is a notable exception; I remember a lot of people complaining about him early in Super.

That said, when a voice actor does pass away, they will recast the role, though I suspect Nozama's death will be the first time a character with the pedigree of Goku will need be recast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

King Kai is a notable exception; I remember a lot of people complaining about him early in Super.

That said, when a voice actor does pass away, they will recast the role, though I suspect Nozama's death will be the first time a character with the pedigree of Goku will need be recast.

In fact I think I heard they were originally thinking of recasting Goku once he grew up and DBZ rolled around but wound up sticking with Nozawa anyway.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I've always liked it. I think it's fascinating a woman is THE voice of this zen meathead. She could scream like a complete demon back in the day, and it's a miracle she can still get out as much as she does in her mid-motherfucking-EIGHTIES. I always felt like UI was in part a bit of a clean trick design - a quiet, menacing Goku in the angel state means she can do the part without him screaming his head off as much during the climax.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its been 40 years theres bound to be at least one peraon who can do a convincing goku.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Black August posted:

I've always liked it. I think it's fascinating a woman is THE voice of this zen meathead. She could scream like a complete demon back in the day, and it's a miracle she can still get out as much as she does in her mid-motherfucking-EIGHTIES. I always felt like UI was in part a bit of a clean trick design - a quiet, menacing Goku in the angel state means she can do the part without him screaming his head off as much during the climax.

Honestly she does "quiet, menacing, Goku" way better than screaming idiot Goku. Her Goku Black is :discourse:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

Honestly she does "quiet, menacing, Goku" way better than screaming idiot Goku. Her Goku Black is :discourse:

No kidding. I like Mario Castañeda more as Goku but no other voice compares to her insanely good Black. She just hits all the right notes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I mean Bulma

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Bulma

Bulma was recast after her previous actress died though. Come to think of it, has the new Bulma gotten much work lately aside from the Broly movie?

And yeah, Nozawa sounds incredibly threatening when she gets to play a villain (and all it really takes is just lowering the pitch of her Goku voice a bit)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 16, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Bulma

Fair enough, I forgot about that.

That said, Aya Hisakawa does a really good imitation, I didn't realize Bulma'd been recast until I looked it up.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Did they rerecord the VA for Kai in Japan? I know they did for the US dub.

I wanted to compare her voice from the 90s, 00s, and late 2010s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Did they rerecord the VA for Kai in Japan? I know they did for the US dub.

I wanted to compare her voice from the 90s, 00s, and late 2010s.

No, Bulma was still played by her original VA back then. The new one’s first major role was in the DBS: Broly movie.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Larryb posted:

No, Bulma was still played by her original VA back then. The new one’s first major role was in the DBS: Broly movie.

Nah, that's not what I meant.

I went ahead and Googled my question, and as I remembered, yes, both the English and Japanese casts re-recorded their lines for Kai:

"With much of the original Japanese cast recording damaged or lost, along with a new sound design, Kai has its dialogue re-recorded. Given two decades had passed since Dragon Ball Z first aired, this led to several prominent recasts, both in the Japanese and English-language dubs."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, aside from the new OP and ED did Kai redo any of the animation as well or is it vintage DBZ footage stripped down to (mostly) just the manga related content?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Larryb posted:

I forget, aside from the new OP and ED did Kai redo any of the animation as well or is it vintage DBZ footage stripped down to (mostly) just the manga related content?

It did have to redraw some bits where the original footage was damaged, I believe. The digital draw-overs are terrible, though. They also toned down blood even in the Japanese version. It's basically the only caveat of watching Kai over vanilla Z. If you can look past those (they're not all that frequent anyway,) then Kai is objectively better.

Still watch the driving school episode, though. That's the best DBZ episode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda hosed that they toned down the blood but left in Cell sucking down a guy until he evaporated into nothing. Or Cell’s giant gaping tail-plunger that he eats the androids with. Or Imperfect Cell powering up only the aura was all the people he ate.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

It’s kinda hosed that they toned down the blood but left in Cell sucking down a guy until he evaporated into nothing. Or Cell’s giant gaping tail-plunger that he eats the androids with. Or Imperfect Cell powering up only the aura was all the people he ate.
Cell is clearly too terrifying to tell "No" to, I wouldn't try and censor him either.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Next chapter is out in 3 days. Some of the storyboards have leaked and it looks pretty good.

I know it's stupid, but I enjoy Granolah constantly finger gunning or bow shooting people as opposed to the open palms and cupped hands attacks the others use. :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth TNT posted:

Next chapter is out in 3 days. Some of the storyboards have leaked and it looks pretty good.

I know it's stupid, but I enjoy Granolah constantly finger gunning or bow shooting people as opposed to the open palms and cupped hands attacks the others use. :)

Seems a very 'he who fights monsters' vibe given Frieza's signature kill move.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Nah, that's not what I meant.

I went ahead and Googled my question, and as I remembered, yes, both the English and Japanese casts re-recorded their lines for Kai:

"With much of the original Japanese cast recording damaged or lost, along with a new sound design, Kai has its dialogue re-recorded. Given two decades had passed since Dragon Ball Z first aired, this led to several prominent recasts, both in the Japanese and English-language dubs."

Yeah, from what I've seen/heard, Norio went super over the top for Cell.

I actually don't like how he sounds in Kai as much.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I don't know how common that type of ki/energy projectile is in most action or shonen stories, but it's a nice and badly needed variety for DB. The new character designs have been pretty stagnant for a long time so it's welcoming to have something distinct.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I like the finger-gun style as a kind of visual shorthand for villain/assassin. It was exciting for all of ten seconds when Goku started to do it to Cauli and Kale, seeming to play into him being a little villainous during the ToP.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Black August posted:

I like the finger-gun style as a kind of visual shorthand for villain/assassin. It was exciting for all of ten seconds when Goku started to do it to Cauli and Kale, seeming to play into him being a little villainous during the ToP.

I'm not entirely sure this was intended...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen/heard, Norio went super over the top for Cell.

I actually don't like how he sounds in Kai as much.

Wakamoto had 0 chill back in the day.
You should hear him on the stardust crusaders audio play as Dio

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I do love when Goku gets quiet and meaner. Gives Vegeta and Freeza a run for their money.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't know how common that type of ki/energy projectile is in most action or shonen stories, but it's a nice and badly needed variety for DB. The new character designs have been pretty stagnant for a long time so it's welcoming to have something distinct.

Hit had a nice different style too. Too bad Goku got a new boyfriend in Jiren.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Darko posted:

Hit had a nice different style too. Too bad Goku got a new boyfriend in Jiren.

Broly's his new boyfriend. Jiren is the one that got away.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Broly's got a pretty different style himself, he fights with a real dog killing squirrel energy that no other villain's really done.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hit is new Piccolo, Jiren is new Vegeta, Broly is new, uhh.. Gohan. Time for a series reboot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TFS doing a Super couples therapy session for Goku and Vegeta was absolute genius.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

Hit is new Piccolo, Jiren is new Vegeta, Broly is new, uhh.. Gohan. Time for a series reboot.

Freeza is new Freeza

wait

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Freeza is hovering around end of Dragonball Piccolo Jr right now

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yeah but with more genocide.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
But imagine: Freeza is the new Krillin

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Bald, penchant for using a thin disk like ki attack, competent fighter who routinely gets his rear end handed to him.. Yep, it checks out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Ok so when does Frieza get a hot robot wife?