Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I could get behind cable fetishism if they looked cool (I've considered silver IEM cables because they looked cool) but why do all these have to look like overprices artisan sausages with the brown casings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

njsykora posted:

So I could get behind cable fetishism if they looked cool (I've considered silver IEM cables because they looked cool) but why do all these have to look like overprices artisan sausages with the brown casings?

The same reason Harleys are loud and truck design is super aggressive. It’s what boomer men want.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheMadMilkman posted:

The same reason Harleys are loud and truck design is super aggressive. It’s what boomer men want.

Yeah Man jewelry (and 3 Women). gently caress cables.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I've heard an audible difference between like a $5 Walmart cable and a $40 Cable, but I've never heard a difference between the $40 and $100-$1000+ cables. Maybe my system isn't "revealing" enough like an audiophile would say

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I bet you have!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mederlock posted:

I mean, I've heard an audible difference between like a $5 Walmart cable and a $40 Cable

Please tell us about the difference in sound! :allears:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
At that price point there can be a difference. I used to own a Samsung tablet that wouldn't charge on certain brands of cheap USB cables, but would charge fine on other brands. Ultra cheap cables can absolutely have badly manufactured connectors that affect sound quality, but once you get above unbranded $5 cables you should be fine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drat it, the thread title promised I was going to get to ridicule audiophiles :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Konstantin posted:

At that price point there can be a difference. I used to own a Samsung tablet that wouldn't charge on certain brands of cheap USB cables, but would charge fine on other brands. Ultra cheap cables can absolutely have badly manufactured connectors that affect sound quality, but once you get above unbranded $5 cables you should be fine.

If the audio works and does not drop or have VERY obvious issues (crackling) you will not hear any difference between any digital cable.

With analog cables, it's theoretically possible but only in an absolutely absurd circumstance.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KillHour posted:

If the audio works and does not drop or have VERY obvious issues (crackling) you will not hear any difference between any digital cable.

With analog cables, it's theoretically possible but only in an absolutely absurd circumstance.

Well, you could have a weak connection that doesn't stand up to being flexed twice, and then you'd get popping and dropouts, which would be an audible difference.

I have trouble envisioning a subtle audio difference.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

Please tell us about the difference in sound! :allears:

It's okay, I know people like you enjoy being pointlessly nasty :allears:

I should mention that was with a tiny, tiiiinny 30 gauge RCA cable on an analog source with crappy connectors that was going through a rats nest of power cables behind my entertainment stand/PC. I bought the $40 cable that had two twisted wires carrying the hot and the ground/shielding wire completely covered the hot wires within the sheathing of the cable, and had very tight connectors on either end. The crappy cable, on the other hand, just had a tiny wire running along the tiny hot cable in the sheathing and didn't make a good connection on either end (I probably could have bent the ground part of the connecter in to tighten it up but I didn't bother). There was a ground hum and a bit of buzz/static on the lovely cable, where the good cable was silent. As for speaker cable I just use whatever is 14 gauge or so and cheap by the foot from the store, I don't see any merit in that rabbit hole either.

And yes, I have obviously never heard a difference on a digital source cable because only an idiot thinks there's an improvement there. I've only had issues due to a loose optical/hdmi plug or using an old cable to try to carry an 4k/hdr/atmos signal which straight up didn't work till I used an HDMI 2.1 cable.

e: also keep in mind that's :canada: pricing, the equivalent cord to what I got is probably $25 in Freedomland

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So you're saying a defective cable was making inductance noise in a rats nest? Wow! What a surprise! If you don't want snark, don't post about 40 dollar RCA cables in the thread where we make fun of people for paying way too much money for audio equipment and then claiming a quality improvement. $40 dollars, or $25 dollars is too much for an RCA cable, hth.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

So you're saying a defective cable was making inductance noise in a rats nest? Wow! What a surprise! If you don't want snark, don't post about 40 dollar RCA cables in the thread where we make fun of people for paying way too much money for audio equipment and then claiming a quality improvement. $40 dollars, or $25 dollars is too much for an RCA cable, hth.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment :a2m:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mederlock posted:

It's okay, I know people like you enjoy being pointlessly nasty :allears:

I'm sorry that came off as nasty. That wasn't my intent, but I can totally see how it would have hit you that way.

Properly shielded cables can indeed make a tremendous difference when there's RF interference. And $40CAD doesn't seem exorbitant for a well built RCA cable. Maybe you paid a bit more than you needed to, but nowhere near the insanity the thread's about.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I'm sorry that came off as nasty. That wasn't my intent, but I can totally see how it would have hit you that way.

Properly shielded cables can indeed make a tremendous difference when there's RF interference. And $40CAD doesn't seem exorbitant for a well built RCA cable. Maybe you paid a bit more than you needed to, but nowhere near the insanity the thread's about.

I was being just as snarky in my response so it's all good. And yeah I definitely overpaid, it was the local AV/home theater shop rather than Amazon where I probably would've saved 30%, but I wanted the cord right away to be able to enjoy my LP's without an annoying buzz and hum (just the regular old pops and surface noise of vinyl are quite enough for me :sweatdrop:) .

I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you guys when we mock people buying this kind of nonsense:

Black magic indeed...

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mederlock posted:

I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you guys when we mock people buying this kind of nonsense:

Pfft, that's some entry-level garbage right there. This is a real man's power cable: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/cables/srx-cables/srx-ac/ (keep scrolling down to specs for price)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

strtj posted:

Pfft, that's some entry-level garbage right there. This is a real man's power cable: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/cables/srx-cables/srx-ac/ (keep scrolling down to specs for price)

For people so insistent on the importance of $10k power cables, the audio in their video sure sucks

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
It's important to be honest with ourselves when self-ridiculing. I just spent money and effort replacing the horn bodies on my big honkin' two way speakers because the new ones have "kinda better polar response off-axis".

Psst. I can't tell the loving difference please don't tell the audiophiles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Which are the new ones? I think the one on top looks better so I'd go with that :shrug:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So is that post just a troll or are you being self aware that you are wasting money?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

an AOL chatroom posted:

For people so insistent on the importance of $10k power cables, the audio in their video sure sucks

Well yeah the audio in the video is digital.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Well yeah the audio in the video is digital.

Maybe he needs to upgrade his HDMI cord to clear up the transiences and filter the switching noise from the resonant feedback

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

strtj posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned plenty of times in the thread, but I can't stop laughing at the idea of a $10k power cable going to a standard jammed in a box wall jack and then ordinary-rear end Romex. If they were serious, they'd be selling a special custom breaker box, with a bespoke power delivery format.

Speaking of that, has anyone started marketing some kind of solar + battery isolated power source to audiophiles yet? POWER YOUR AUDIO WITH PURE POWER, UNADULTERATED BY TWO-STAGE DIGITAL NOISE CREATED BY OTHER DEVICES!

I may have just found my next calling.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned plenty of times in the thread, but I can't stop laughing at the idea of a $10k power cable going to a standard jammed in a box wall jack and then ordinary-rear end Romex. If they were serious, they'd be selling a special custom breaker box, with a bespoke power delivery format.

https://equitech.com/productsold/wall-cabinet-systems/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, good, good. Now find one for the neighborhood stepdown transformer.

I bet we could get insanity all the way to the generating station.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

cruft posted:

Okay, good, good. Now find one for the neighborhood stepdown transformer.

That one’s a classic:

https://youtu.be/XJJy6VJvSCk

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

K8.0 posted:

Speaking of that, has anyone started marketing some kind of solar + battery isolated power source to audiophiles yet? POWER YOUR AUDIO WITH PURE POWER, UNADULTERATED BY TWO-STAGE DIGITAL NOISE CREATED BY OTHER DEVICES!

I may have just found my next calling.

Buddy, (featuring bonus audiophile wallplates to go with those audiophile outlets.)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

an AOL chatroom posted:

You can't experience it correctly with your inferior equipment.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

...Huh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Gentlegoons! I present you all with the most remarkable opportunity to get in on the ground floor of my latest venture: PerfectSine Audiophile Solar Panels and Battery Power Storage

We at PerfectSine understand that the world’s most discerning listeners demand control at the very source of their amplification. Now that you’ve spent your hard-earned dollars on the best speakers you can afford, make sure that the energy driving them is as pure and clean as the night breeze.

Join the growing number of music lovers who have discovered the benefits to decoupling their media playback from mains power!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Buddy, (featuring bonus audiophile wallplates to go with those audiophile outlets.)

The thing about these is that they're both still using standard power transmission formats/form factors. I want to see some wild poo poo where in addition to the POWER TRANSFORMER (what exactly does that giant coil do? Make the voltage wrong?), there's a different form factor breaker (bonus points if it's an absolute piece of poo poo, or maybe it's a solid gold fuse since they're MORE ANALOG) and then a different type of wire and different power outlet.

While I'm sure those breakers and sockets provide superior power to ordinary hardware, any audio experience downstream of them is unquestionably compromised by the limitations of their designs, dating to an era before we understood the importance of electromagnetic harmonics.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Gentlegoons! I present you all with the most remarkable opportunity to get in on the ground floor of my latest venture: PerfectSine Audiophile Solar Panels and Battery Power Storage

We at PerfectSine understand that the world’s most discerning listeners demand control at the very source of their amplification. Now that you’ve spent your hard-earned dollars on the best speakers you can afford, make sure that the energy driving them is as pure and clean as the night breeze.

Join the growing number of music lovers who have discovered the benefits to decoupling their media playback from mains power!

I think you could legitimately sell this. And then, for listening during extended cloudy periods, an artificial sun to power your solar system.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 23, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean if you're going to be serious about it you can't be messing with plugs, you need that gear wired directly to the mains.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

LRADIKAL posted:

So is that post just a troll or are you being self aware that you are wasting money?

Self aware, to be fair they were like $35 each so I really couldn't care less if I can't hear a difference and they absolutely look cooler.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The thing about these is that they're both still using standard power transmission formats/form factors. I want to see some wild poo poo where in addition to the POWER TRANSFORMER (what exactly does that giant coil do? Make the voltage wrong?), there's a different form factor breaker (bonus points if it's an absolute piece of poo poo, or maybe it's a solid gold fuse since they're MORE ANALOG) and then a different type of wire and different power outlet.

While I'm sure those breakers and sockets provide superior power to ordinary hardware, any audio experience downstream of them is unquestionably compromised by the limitations of their designs, dating to an era before we understood the importance of electromagnetic harmonics.

I think you could legitimately sell this. And then, for listening during extended cloudy periods, an artificial sun to power your solar system.

I lack any real knowledge in this area, but I have to imagine that you run up against building codes if you try to get too esoteric.

That said, 3-phase power is always an option, and wouldn’t require much more than rewiring, using funny plugs, and replacing/modifying the power supply of every piece of gear you have.

Bonus points if your gear actually just uses one of the three phases, but technically has the plug for all 3.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I lack any real knowledge in this area...

It's okay, so do audiophiles

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy running my dac off a battery because I have wicket ground loop problems. Thats really the only reason. Also an optical SPDIF cable works to break the loop..

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

has anyone told these guys with hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on speakers that headphones exist?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Why do you think they don't spend similarly comical amounts on headphones?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

K8.0 posted:

If I'm reading it right, the coil is just an isolation transformer with extra words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

I can't decide whether to laugh or cry that you can spend over $1500 on just a wall plate https://www.thecableco.com/power-line-products/ac-duplex-outlets-and-accessories/cpc-2sz-hg-ac-receptacle-housing-hg.html
There is an unbelievable amount of bullshit going on in that description