Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I main Sol but I fiddle around with a lot of characters compared to previous games and while in Xrd Sol was the only character I felt comfortable in at high level I feel comfortable with Ky and Ram as well in Strive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm still trying to find a balance for combos between what's optimal, what I find easy to execute, and what's fun to me, and I was messing with this combo:

https://i.imgur.com/hHm65s2.mp4
(cS > 2H > [4]6H > cS > 2H > [2]8H > WS > 6H)

I find this combo both easier and more fun to do than the Dustloop recommended meterless corner combo of cS > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > 5H > [4]6H > WS > 6H, and it does similar damage (249 on Ky for my combo vs. a claimed 245 on Ky for the dustloop combo), but I noticed something kind of funky.

* I tried ending the combo with The Wonderful and Dynamic Goshogawara instead of 6H to try to add on damage, and it really didn't. I only saw maybe 5 points of damage difference.
* I tried charging the 6H at the end, again hoping to add on some more damage, and charging the 6H for a moment actually resulted in about 15 total less damage at the end.

What am I running into here? Is there some kind of additional damage proration going on in the fraction of a second longer it took me to do those inputs?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 18, 2021

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

unimportantguy posted:

I'm still trying to find a balance for combos between what's optimal, what I find easy to execute, and what's fun to me, and I was messing with this combo:

https://i.imgur.com/hHm65s2.mp4
(cS > 2H > [4]6H > cS > 2H > [2]8H > WS > 6H)

I find this combo both easier and more fun to do than the Dustloop recommended meterless corner combo of cS > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > 5H > [4]6H > WS > 6H, and it does similar damage (249 on Ky for my combo vs. a claimed 245 on Ky for the dustloop combo), but I noticed something kind of funky.

* I tried ending the combo with The Wonderful and Dynamic Goshogawara instead of 6H to try to add on damage, and it really didn't. I only saw maybe 5 points of damage difference.
* I tried charging the 6H at the end, again hoping to add on some more damage, and charging the 6H for a moment actually resulted in about 15 total less damage at the end.

What am I running into here? Is there some kind of additional damage proration going on in the fraction of a second longer it took me to do those inputs?

I don't know exactly why your damage numbers are the way they are. Were you practicing against different RISC levels, different characters, or different starting HP? The main reason to wall break with super is the oki after. There's enough time for an autotimed IAD safe jump, run up Overhead Kiss, or whatever shenanigans you like out of hard knock down.

Dustloop's recommended combo of 5H, 5H has tight timing and very little reward over other, easier corner routes. I only use 5H, 5H if I want to keep the corner and try for one more mixup before the wall break with something like c.S > 2H > [2]8H > 5H > [4]6H > 5H > 5H.

Other options for similar damage and difficulty, but different opportunities for enders are as follows:

c.S > 2H > [2]8H > 5H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H (WS) > 6H or 632146H
c.S > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H (WS) > 6H or 632146H
c.S > 2H > [2]8H > 5H > [4]6H > c.S or 2S > 2H (WS) >6H or 236236S
c.S > 2H > [4]6H > 5H > [4]6H > c.S or 2S > 2H (WS) > 6H or 236236S

I'm pretty sure your route, the 5H >5H route, and all of these routes up to the wall splat all do between 203 and 208 damage to Ky. 236236S is her highest damaging wall break, but following a dolphin with it is tricky. Way easier to get it from a wall splat normal.

Did anyone else not know that air FD blocking makes you fall faster? Apparently, air FD blocking Axl's upward rensen follow up is enough to take away his advantage and get a normal throw.
Thanks, Rooflemonger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoiNyVcfAs.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 18, 2021

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

J2DK posted:

Did anyone else not know that air FD blocking makes you fall faster? Apparently, air FD blocking Axl's upward rensen follow up is enough to take away his advantage and get a normal throw.
Thanks, Rooflemonger

I’m very thankful that I was told about this early on, because it is absolutely essential tech for I-no.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I can't believe I didn't know about this universal mechanic for 3 solid months.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

You know how some rare fish have extra text. Lore fish. well i've been screenshotting them every time I see them. I think i've got them all now, since I've seen multiples of all the ones i have and nothing new for like a month.

• Delimackerel
• Demiurge
• Fortune Flounder
• Gear Cells Infected Shark
• Great Fortune Flounder
• Latimeria
• Mechanical Jaw
• Monster Ray
• Mr. Octohead
• Nereid
• Pilehead ODF-2049
• Red-eye Tiger Puffer Fish
• Sea Serpent α
• Sea Serpent ß
• Sea Serpent ɣ
• Shortfin Tuna
• Stray

17 in all.

this is the cool one:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Probably also a reference to the excellent Meshuggah song. Or it's just a very special jellyfish I guess.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

J2DK posted:

I don't know exactly why your damage numbers are the way they are. Were you practicing against different RISC levels, different characters, or different starting HP?

All on Ky, all with 0 RISC, all with Ky at full health. The only difference was that I did 249 damage if I tapped 6H and 234 damage if I held it until just before the wallsplat ended.

Now I should watch a Rooflemonger video. Saw that one before going to bed but it was like 5 in the morning so I didn't click it then.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

in this clip you're in positive bonus, which gives extra damage, which is why your numbers are off

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hace posted:

in this clip you're in positive bonus, which gives extra damage, which is why your numbers are off

WELP I dunno how I missed that. That should've been pretty obvious.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I don't normally play this kind of game at all but a couple months ago Something Awful Forums Poster unimportantguy convinced me and another friend to buy accent core +R for $2.50. Now I'm an Axl main. Should I be mad at him? I've bought this now and it's very distracting from the other games I wanted to be playing.

I can't tell if all the people in the park last night who looked at me and then failed to match were realizing I was an Axl and ditching or just lovely connection stuff...they really don't need to be afraid of me, I'm still quite bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zeth posted:

I don't normally play this kind of game at all but a couple months ago Something Awful Forums Poster unimportantguy convinced me and another friend to buy accent core +R for $2.50. Now I'm an Axl main. Should I be mad at him? I've bought this now and it's very distracting from the other games I wanted to be playing.

I can't tell if all the people in the park last night who looked at me and then failed to match were realizing I was an Axl and ditching or just lovely connection stuff...they really don't need to be afraid of me, I'm still quite bad.

It could be both. The netcode isn't the best, but an informal poll of the community did also report that Axl is the character people most commonly decline to fight. Like, SIGNIFICANTLY so, the second highest option (Sol) wasn't even close.

It's not that Axl is an exceptionally good character; I feel like the general verdict is that he's slightly missing out on top five. It's that he's a remarkably solid zoner, and a huge chunk of the community just don't know how to play against him and refuse to learn.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Let me tell you a story that begins with Something Awful Forums Poster unimportantguy.

Actually, let me excerpt a chat with an old internet friend from a few weeks ago. Hadn't really talked with the guy in ages, didn't know anything about his recent gaming habits.

quote:

Me: Because of Something Awful Forums Poster unimportantguy, and the recent release of Strive, I have begun playing Guilty Gear. Because sometimes the older games are very on sale.
Him, without a single instant of hesitation: Please tell me you main Slayer.
Me: Of course I main Slayer.
Him: I. FUCKIN'. KNEW IT.
What can I say. Sometimes I'm predictable.

So now I'm playing Giovanna because I want somebody that just hits people while wearing regular clothes while waiting for Slayer to be released as DLC. Problem: I'd never played a fighting game before, like, August? Maybe July? This Summer, anyway. I understand the concept of inputs, and have looked at command lists, but I have minimal practice on actual execution. The input displays in training mode are very helpful for giving me feedback on what inputs I'm actually making, so I can get more precision and successful execution.

Is there a way to have those input displays turned on for regular, non-training, matches? Like, they would probably end up being more distracting than helpful, but I'm going to spend more hours of my week trying to knee Zeffu in the face than I am going to practice in the dojo.

Zeth posted:

Now I'm an Axl main. Should I be mad at him?
If anyone should be mad at him for you maining Axl, it's me, right?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Sometimes connections will fail for whatever reason. Some people might not like to fight Axl but they're probably not dodging a new player.

Also whenever you first load into the park/floor, connections will fail until it finishes loading. You'll see a red loading indicator in the top right. Wait till it disappears. I didn't figure this out until like a few weeks in lol.

For the guy above me, you can't turn on inputs mid game but you can watch your replay with inputs displayed which will probably help more than seeing it in game.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

My friends are posting in the thread to complain about me and each other! I feel like a proud papa. :allears:

In other news, let me share with everyone the most stressful, exciting matchup I've had in weeks:
https://youtu.be/GvLs_e4UWLA

Edit: I keep feeling like I ought to be able to cS Millia's jH even though that's clearly not the case. That's a big part of why I keep getting wrecked by it.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 20, 2021

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

J2DK posted:

Thanks, Rooflemonger

There was this whole big blowup on twitter about whether or not strive has enough defense and I saw people bringing up all these options but never discussing that which made me realize most people didn't know(so hence, video). Its not the biggest thing in the end I guess but for specific matchups (esp vs axl) it can be a big deal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cleretic posted:

It could be both. The netcode isn't the best, but an informal poll of the community did also report that Axl is the character people most commonly decline to fight. Like, SIGNIFICANTLY so, the second highest option (Sol) wasn't even close.

It's not that Axl is an exceptionally good character; I feel like the general verdict is that he's slightly missing out on top five. It's that he's a remarkably solid zoner, and a huge chunk of the community just don't know how to play against him and refuse to learn.

pretty sure hating The Zoner is a universal fighting game player thing, not specific to Strive or Axl

e:

Vavrek posted:

Is there a way to have those input displays turned on for regular, non-training, matches? Like, they would probably end up being more distracting than helpful, but I'm going to spend more hours of my week trying to knee Zeffu in the face than I am going to practice in the dojo.

There's no way to show them in real time, but you can see both players' inputs when you go back and view the replay (you can set it to auto-save replays of every match).

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 20, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Most players just wanna press buttons so you can't fault them for hating characters that stop them from pressing buttons.
You can enjoy their hate though. :q:

Strive needs more zoners.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Every fighting game has people who hate zoners. There are people who want to ban Jigglypuff in Smash because she slows the pace of the game down so much because she just zones so well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

pretty sure hating The Zoner is a universal fighting game player thing, not specific to Strive or Axl

Sure, people always hate The Zoner, but it's not all that often that The Zoner is actually tremendously good or prominent. Not only is Axl a fairly strong contender, but right now he's the only zoner in a pretty small cast as far as modern fighters go. So while in other cases zoner hate might be pretty quiet or spread out among multiple characters, with Strive it's that every single person who would ever hate zoners very specifically hates the British now.

Jack Trades posted:

Most players just wanna press buttons so you can't fault them for hating characters that stop them from pressing buttons.
You can enjoy their hate though. :q:

Strive needs more zoners.

But yeah, after a point you learn to start relishing in it. I'm tempted to change my matchup message to 'every match decline is a moral victory for me' or something, because frankly, at some point it stops being annoying and starts being hilarious when you see someone in the lobby challenge you, then decline, then come back and do the same thing about five times as if I will eventually stop being Axl Low after they turn their back.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 20, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Not only is Axl a fairly strong contender, but right now he's the only zoner in a pretty small cast as far as modern fighters go.

I wouldn't say that's true. Nago and Ram are zoners too that just happen to have tools to be up close threats better than Axl.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

I wouldn't say that's true. Nago and Ram are zoners too that just happen to have tools to be up close threats better than Axl.

There's a difference between a "Zoner" and a "Character with strong zoning tools". https://glossary.infil.net/?t=Zoner
Nago and Ram are the latter because their gameplan doesn't revolve around keeping the opponent away from them.

It's the same with, for example, Pot, Sol and May. All of them have command grabs but Potemkin is a grappler and the other two are not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ram and Nago are what I'd call strong neutral characters, getting in is still part of their gameplan and they're not gonna win matches playing keepaway the entire time like Axl.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I run into this player from time to time, and it's kind of hilarious. He does that pre-emptive anti-air 2H thing with Nago, and apparently doesn't know what to do when a May player sits around waiting for him to screw up. He just ends up going into blood rage. Twice. Whole set of 9 was pretty funny complete with butter churning in blood rage for 5 seconds desperately trying to get the blood super out.

https://imgur.com/5CugLrW

J2DK fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 20, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love Nago's gameplay design because of how it rewards patience and punishes going ham.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

J2DK posted:

I run into this player from time to time, and it's kind of hilarious. He does that pre-emptive anti-air 2H thing with Nago, and apparently doesn't know what to do when a May player sits around waiting for him to screw up. He just ends up going into blood rage. Twice. Whole set of 9 was pretty funny complete with butter churning in blood rage for 5 seconds desperately trying to get the blood super out.

https://imgur.com/5CugLrW

Your ability to remain patient and calm while Nago goes ham on you is incredible. I'm jealous.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Zeth posted:

probably mostly axl avoiders. the character you're playing is displayed prominently on the confirmation screen. might be connection stuff sometimes but it's not that common and in most cases people would try again once or twice.

poe meater posted:

Some people might not like to fight Axl but they're probably not dodging a new player.

disagree with this; most people will not notice or care how new you are. all they can see is that you're not vip and that your level is low, but the low level is displayed as a "bounty" that's a huge number regardless and means effectively nothing in terms of skill.

Vavrek posted:

there is sort of a way to do this!! when you create a player lobby, there's an option to make it "training mode." I tried this once and was disappointed because it turns out it has no training mode features like meter settings or health regen. but what it does have is input display and endless rounds. if you're playing with friends, this might be ideal for what you're looking for. you can also access the command list in-game which might be helpful.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I don't dodge people who challenge me but the Goldlewis/Axl matchup is actually miserable enough that I will avoid him if I'm the one choosing an opponent. Just the way it is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As an axl main I can definitely tell people are dodging as my matches get declined and then some ky shows up and then starts fighting the guy. This happens quite a bit.

I will excuse goldlewis backing out because that fight is legit unfair.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
ive never avoided axl, its a fun matchup because you get swatted away for like 10 minutes until you catch up to him, and then you get to turn him into a fine paste. its very satisfying.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't generally sit on a station waiting for matches, but if I'm joining somebody's station and they don't ready up within like 5 seconds I'm out.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

chumbler posted:

I don't generally sit on a station waiting for matches, but if I'm joining somebody's station and they don't ready up within like 5 seconds I'm out.

Oh come on it takes me at least that long to read your level, groan in dismay, think about quitting for the night, then accept.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

b_d posted:

there is sort of a way to do this!! when you create a player lobby, there's an option to make it "training mode." I tried this once and was disappointed because it turns out it has no training mode features like meter settings or health regen. but what it does have is input display and endless rounds. if you're playing with friends, this might be ideal for what you're looking for. you can also access the command list in-game which might be helpful.

That sounds great! That's basically exactly what I want: some way to watch my inputs while practicing with friends. For actual online matches with strangers, it'd be far too distracting. (I say, as though I ever actually won a match against a stranger.) Thanks!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I feel like I'm posting way too much, but hot drat I'm actually kind of proud of this match I had tonight? I didn't play perfectly; far from it, I hosed up a bunch! But all of a sudden in the middle of it, several things I've been labbing for a while kind of came together all at once. Once I started getting in control of the match, I actually felt like I knew what I was doing for once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNripF5ZA8

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
:justpost:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I-No is very hard. I've been trying to learn her because she's a big departure from the types of characters I usually play and I want to try to get more well rounded, and between that and muscle memory from Ky messing me up it's a real struggle. I have grudging respect for the I-No players out there who've blown me up in the past because you feel like a super vulnerable slug until getting a handle on her movement, let alone confirming off hitting with any part of her mixups.

Also her dives being 236 instead of 214 is messing with me. Dive kicks are always 214!

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 23, 2021

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Say, I'm on a roll with actually pulling off the combos I've been working on lately. Here I am pulling off the midscreen combo variation I've been working on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oksG0LeMZ4&t=39s

Admittedly, this is just a variation of my preferred corner combo with a RRC in it to keep my opponent from flying away from me.

I don't know exactly what happened but somehow this stuff just "clicked" in the past few days and suddenly I'm seeing the combo opportunities that flew right past me before.

Related story: I beat the everloving crap out of a Zato tonight whose screen name was "MayPlayersEatCum". They seemed pretty drat mad to get beaten by a May so that felt pretty good.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 24, 2021

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Did ya'll know you can interrupt an opponent's YRC mid-animation with your own RRC? Because I sure as hell didn't:
https://i.imgur.com/PPFGxQb.mp4
This actually made me say "What the gently caress?" out loud when it happened.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

E: Oh I see what you mean.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Would Nago be overpowered if he could use specials during blood rage but had to pay extra health to use them (and could kill himself with it).

I get that blood rage is supposed to be a punishment for being too aggressive but it's really boring right now because Nago literally can't do any thing about the opponent just down backing. It's basically a break in the game right now.