Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You’re right, don’t know why TGP showed up under his filmography when I was looking him up. Edited it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

missing a lot of RZ there

I can only assume you mean the RedZone channel and I am nodding my head in agreement.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

I can only assume you mean the RedZone channel and I am nodding my head in agreement.

come week 4 im sure we'll wish we were watching Rob Zombie instead of Red Zone

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

RedZone does have its own Witching Hour

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Missed out on the Hammer chat some pages ago, but I just wanted to say that I enjoy how Lee’s Dracula is introduced in the first movie. He just cheerfully comes trotting down the stairs and is like “ah, mister Harker, glad to see you!” Very different from all of the other versions.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Can confirm that Prisoners of The Ghostland sucked.

Anyone else doing Fantastic Fest @ Home? The lineup is pretty good from what I've heard of, and you get a 48 hour window to watch stuff. Mostly I'm there for Mad God and After Blue.

I'll have to check this out. I've seen some of these at other festivals. Preman is rad, but not horror. Either is Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes, but it was one of my favorites from this year's Fantasia, and anyone who liked One Cut of the Dead should definitely check it out.

Edit: Agnes is also good, but not really a horror movie either-- or if it is, it's a different kind from what the trailer shows. I can see it being pretty divisive here.

an owls casket fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 18, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of letterboxd and whatnot, hit me up, I follow back. I wanna see how many stars everybody gave Death to Smoochy and uh 976-EVIL.

https://letterboxd.com/FrankBoothFan/

Also, on Nic Cage, how about a friendly Cage contest? Who's got the highest Cage numbers? I've seen 43 of his 116, not half bad. Sam Jackson may be my highest with 56.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 18, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Can confirm that Prisoners of The Ghostland sucked.

Anyone else doing Fantastic Fest @ Home? The lineup is pretty good from what I've heard of, and you get a 48 hour window to watch stuff. Mostly I'm there for Mad God and After Blue.

I didn't care for After Blue. I have a very high tolerance for random/absurd but this came off as lazy and dumb. The fact that the director has a Dogme 95-esque 'manifesto' is also really off-putting.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This is cute, apparently Malignant was based on James Wan's wife's idea.

https://twitter.com/1STREFORMEDEGO/status/1439287080329220096?s=19

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pospysyl posted:

This is cute, apparently Malignant was based on James Wan's wife's idea.

https://twitter.com/1STREFORMEDEGO/status/1439287080329220096?s=19
She also acts in the movie! She plays the crime scene tech :)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As a fellow Wife Guy I appreciate that.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I just rewatched Crimson Peak. It's super underrated! I think a lot of people found it formally restrictive, which made it seem unambitious, but I found the three main characters to be really interesting. Del Toro manages to pull off getting you to sympathize with a pair of murderous incestuous aristocrats, which is a bold move. As with a lot of Del Toro's English language movies, the supernatural stuff is less appealing than the non-paranormal character work, so I'm excited for Nightmare Alley, which from what I understand doesn't have any supernatural trappings at all.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just checked out Censor from a recommendation a ways back in the thread and I really liked it.

The ending really gave me real Saint Maud vibes.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Any folkies in here watch the new Ben Wheatley joint, In the Earth, on Hulu? It’s been up for the last week or so and I just watched it today. It’s got a strong Nigel Kneale energy with its look at the collision of science and the supernatural, filtered through Wheatley’s penchant for hallucinogenic plants and fungi, layered with contemporary pandemic anxiety, and sprinkled with a soupçon of Heart of Darkness

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

pospysyl posted:

I just rewatched Crimson Peak. It's super underrated! I think a lot of people found it formally restrictive, which made it seem unambitious, but I found the three main characters to be really interesting. Del Toro manages to pull off getting you to sympathize with a pair of murderous incestuous aristocrats, which is a bold move. As with a lot of Del Toro's English language movies, the supernatural stuff is less appealing than the non-paranormal character work, so I'm excited for Nightmare Alley, which from what I understand doesn't have any supernatural trappings at all.

I like Crimson Peak, it's visually stunning. like a decadent dessert. the gothic fantasy elements, like the red skeleton and lady haunting Mia at the start, are all stuff I really want to see heaps more of too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't really like Crimson Peak the first time I saw it but then I watched a lot more horror and I rewatched it and like realized that GdT was just like "I wanna make a gorgeous Corman/Hammer movie" and like I got it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Same, first time I saw it I was like “eh that was okay” and second time a couple years later I really fell in love with it. It tells such a great gothic romance story and employs its genuinely chilling ghosts just enough imo

So drat stylish

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well I did not expect a Christmas movie starring Keira Knightley to be one of my favourite horrors in months. It's loving dark.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sold. I will watch anything with Keira Knightley. How do you watch it do you need to be at the festival in person?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well I did not expect a Christmas movie starring Keira Knightley to be one of my favourite horrors in months. It's loving dark.

Oh hell yes I’m always looking for more offbeat Christmas movies to add to my seasonal watchlist

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Benito Cereno posted:

Any folkies in here watch the new Ben Wheatley joint, In the Earth, on Hulu? It’s been up for the last week or so and I just watched it today. It’s got a strong Nigel Kneale energy with its look at the collision of science and the supernatural, filtered through Wheatley’s penchant for hallucinogenic plants and fungi, layered with contemporary pandemic anxiety, and sprinkled with a soupçon of Heart of Darkness

I dug the concept, but this is one of those movies that really felt like it would have worked much better as part of an anthology with all the fat trimmed out. Too much of the movie is spent writing a check the ending just isn't prepared to cash, and I think you could easily chop out half the running time and lose nothing of significance, including the foreboding atmosphere.

Speaking of endings not living up to the movie preceding them... Come True. Hoo boy. It wasn't the most original story, but it was consistently atmospheric and anybody who has ever suffered from night terrors will definitely have some visceral reactions to parts of this, but the literal final scene does its level best to undermine everything that came before in the worst possible way.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

sethsez posted:

Speaking of endings not living up to the movie preceding them... Come True. Hoo boy. It wasn't the most original story, but it was consistently atmospheric and anybody who has ever suffered from night terrors will definitely have some visceral reactions to parts of this, but the literal final scene does its level best to undermine everything that came before in the worst possible way.

lol, yeah, I think i tried to warn the thread last year when I saw it. It's very good right up until those last ten seconds, and then it whizzes all the goodwill it spent the last 100 minutes earning right down its leg. It's almost impressive.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

an owls casket posted:

lol, yeah, I think i tried to warn the thread last year when I saw it. It's very good right up until those last ten seconds, and then it whizzes all the goodwill it spent the last 100 minutes earning right down its leg. It's almost impressive.

I'm not one for fan edits, but I legitimately think you could just cut to credits after the previous scene ends and have a significantly better movie. The final shot defangs the threat, makes the mysteries more mundane, and offers absolutely no extra depth anywhere else in exchange. It's the definition of tacked-on.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

sethsez posted:

final shot defangs the threat

Nice.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Malignant! When the not-quite a cover of Where Is My Mind came up in the score the first time I didn’t recognize it, but when it popped up again after the mom fell through the attic everything clicked.

I wish Wan had a little more faith in his audience, there were at least two moments in the film where something was conveyed visually quite well and succinctly only to be followed immediately by dialogue explaining the same thing.

I think I’ve only seen this and Aquaman so it might just be his thing, I dunno.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

sethsez posted:

This movie intrigues me from what i've heard about it. I've never suffered sleep paralysis, at least not the vision-inducing kind, but the idea of it terrifies me enough to never ever sleep on my back - I literally haven't since I was a teenager and found out about it. I always sleep on my side. The fear of experiencing sleep paralysis and seeing something (fear of fear itself?) has literally influenced my behaviour for decades. So I'm drawn to this film from the description, as well as that documentary The Nightmare, although I've been too chicken to watch that so far.

I'm also interested in how much the very end ruins the film? Without spoiling anything, does it relieve the dread by presenting a happy ending? Because I'm okay with that. Or is it more of a ridiculous/stupid reveal?

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Ridiculous/stupid. I almost jokingly called what was going to happen to my wife as we were watching the lead up to the last shot, like "ha ha, it would be funny if they did that (dumb ending thing) right now", but then they actually did it. Totally agree that it could have ended with the previous scene and it would have been maybe a little too vague for some, but still way better than what they ended up doing.

The Nightmare is great, though. I saw it in a theater, and there was a fair amount of nervous laughter after the part where one of the interviewees mentions that they never had night terrors until they learned about them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Justin Benson's and Aaron Moorhead's movie Resolution was really good! Next to watch is The Endless.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hedrigall posted:

This movie intrigues me from what i've heard about it. I've never suffered sleep paralysis, at least not the vision-inducing kind, but the idea of it terrifies me enough to never ever sleep on my back - I literally haven't since I was a teenager and found out about it. I always sleep on my side. The fear of experiencing sleep paralysis and seeing something (fear of fear itself?) has literally influenced my behaviour for decades. So I'm drawn to this film from the description, as well as that documentary The Nightmare, although I've been too chicken to watch that so far.

I'm also interested in how much the very end ruins the film? Without spoiling anything, does it relieve the dread by presenting a happy ending? Because I'm okay with that. Or is it more of a ridiculous/stupid reveal?

Definitely a stupid reveal.

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
I really liked Come True, even though the reveal sucks.
The music is the best part of the movie, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5N5wguYV7o

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ButtHate posted:

I really liked Come True, even though the reveal sucks.
The music is the best part of the movie, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5N5wguYV7o

Oh yeah, I really do want to emphasize that up to the reveal, the movie is fantastic. It has one other part that's... pretty icky in a way that doesn't seem completely intentional, but I'm willing to overlook that scene for how good the rest is. Then the ending comes and makes me wish I turned it off two minutes earlier.

And yeah the music is fantastic, which isn't a surprise considering the writer/director/DP/etc is a musician first and foremost so he did his own score as well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Justin Benson's and Aaron Moorhead's movie Resolution was really good! Next to watch is The Endless.

both are really good. the tug of war scene from "The Endless" really stuck in my head, just a great way of indicating huge cosmic influence in a budget film

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Sold. I will watch anything with Keira Knightley. How do you watch it do you need to be at the festival in person?

Nope, many film festivals - even before the pandemic - have some kind of digital component. Ever since COVID though, they have expanded what they're making available online. For the bigger films you usually have a four hour window in which to watch the film.

YMMV based on the size of the film and the distribution arrangement they have. This year there were a few films (DUNC, Last Night in Soho, Titane) that weren't being offered digitally so I had to go in person, but I watched nearly everything else at home.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Silent Night is apparently out on VOD on December 3 in the US (AMC+), for another option

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I just watched this little YouTube doc and was very intrigued:
https://youtu.be/An1OJXIMCTo

This just seems like found footage with another meta-layer of narrative around it, I’m wondering when the style and aesthetics are gonna get co-opted for a viral marketing campaign.

Does anyone have any favorites in this genre, or anything similar?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I thought the ending of Come True was ok? Like the fangs were a misdirect for the cell phone message that was like "Holy poo poo she's in a coma/nightmare that the people trying to communicate with her are influencing, maybe inadvertantly, in unpredictable/nightmarish ways and this is now her existence."

Unless I'm misunderstanding it that seems pretty decent and unsettling.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Among The Living was cool but I expected it to go harder in the paint.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

AKZ posted:

I thought the ending of Come True was ok? Like the fangs were a misdirect for the cell phone message that was like "Holy poo poo she's in a coma/nightmare that the people trying to communicate with her are influencing, maybe inadvertantly, in unpredictable/nightmarish ways and this is now her existence."

Unless I'm misunderstanding it that seems pretty decent and unsettling.

The main thing in the spoiler is a meme that's been around for like a decade now. If I had never seen it before, it probably would have been effective-- even then, having the weird poo poo she's been experiencing all just be a dream is suuuuper cliché, regardless of how much they try to do around the periphery of that. I mean, if it worked for you, cool, but it made my eyes drat near roll right out of my head.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

an owls casket posted:

The main thing in the spoiler is a meme that's been around for like a decade now. If I had never seen it before, it probably would have been effective-- even then, having the weird poo poo she's been experiencing all just be a dream is suuuuper cliché, regardless of how much they try to do around the periphery of that. I mean, if it worked for you, cool, but it made my eyes drat near roll right out of my head.

I get the cliche part of it and hear where you're coming from, I think. I guess for me it diverged enough from that particular cliche because the entire movie is about dreams, and usually when they break out the "it was all a dream" I picture it more as a positive relief rather than something that retroactively makes what the character experienced and is going to experience more chaotic and nightmarish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally watching Mandy

This is the best Jason Voorhees movie in the last decade