Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm so happy, this is so much great work! Y'all are champions just for rolling over the finish line.

Here are the entries I have:

pre:
Hostile V	MAGICON
Agent Rush	Gals & Goons
OK Scale	Let's Be Pirates
Dog Kisser	UGOD
WereGoat	-
Lux Animus	Skeleton Justice Warriors
potatocubed	MUGEN
Meinberg	-
Antivehicular	In the Court of the Invisible King
LaSquida	Shadow of the Moon Wizard
JMBosch		Tempo City Dreams
DalaranJ	Sćhrímnir
Meinberg and WereGoat, if you submitted an entry and I just missed it (as seems to be the way things have gone for me in this contest), just let me know and I'll look for it!

I'm moving this weekend but I will get to judging as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Unfortunately not, I ended up with something that was missing really major information to make it a workable game.

Like, in hindsight, having all the play info on reference sheets might have seemed like a good idea, but when I left this to the end (so I knew what needed to go there) I really misjudged how much effort this would be to assemble and expand on.

So the whole thing is full of "check your player sheet for this info!" but there's no player sheets lol.

I can send it unfinished if you want, I've not touched it since Sunday, but it is definitely a mess.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Gals & Goons was pretty much done when I got it, all I ended up doing was adding some elaborations and details to the character pages.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Zurui posted:

I'm so happy, this is so much great work! Y'all are champions just for rolling over the finish line.

Here are the entries I have:

pre:
Hostile V	MAGICON
Agent Rush	Gals & Goons
OK Scale	Let's Be Pirates
Dog Kisser	UGOD
WereGoat	-
Lux Animus	Skeleton Justice Warriors
potatocubed	MUGEN
Meinberg	-
Antivehicular	In the Court of the Invisible King
LaSquida	Shadow of the Moon Wizard
JMBosch		Tempo City Dreams
DalaranJ	Sćhrímnir
Meinberg and WereGoat, if you submitted an entry and I just missed it (as seems to be the way things have gone for me in this contest), just let me know and I'll look for it!

I'm moving this weekend but I will get to judging as soon as possible.

Hope the move went well! Any ETA on updates?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
I was wondering if people wanted to start revealing what their first-round entries were, so that people who wanted to collaborate could get in touch with each other to try to, eventually, put some of these games into a finished, releasable form. If you're willing to, you can quote this table and replace the ?s with your username for your 1st round entry and let people know how they can get a hold of you. Or you can just mention what work you're wanting to collaborate on and see if the authors are interested.

pre:
GAME                             || 1ST ROUND || 2ND ROUND || 3RD ROUND
1A: The Undungeoneers            || JM Bosch || Lux Animus
/ Cauldron Bowl Rally
1B: The Undungeoneers            || JM Bosch || Weregoat || Hostile V
/ MAGICON
2: Card-based Resolution System  || Hostile V || Agent Rush || Dog Kisser
/ UG Overdrive / UGOD
3: Step-die resolution system    || potatocubed || Hostile V || DalaranJ
/ Hostile V Second Round / Sæhrímnir
4: Rentocracy                    || WereGoat
5: Wizard Academy                || ?????? || Otherkinsey Scale
/ LAMMs of Peace, MASKs of War
6: The Sublime Players           || LaSquida || Meinberg || Antivehicular
/ In the Court of the Invisible King
7: Spotlight Harmony             || ?????? || Dog Kisser || JMBosch
/ Tempo City Dreams
8: The Wizard Came from the Moon || DalaranJ || potatocubed || LaSquida
/ Shadow of the Moon Wizard
9: Let's be Pirates              || Agent Rush || LaSquida || Otherkinsey Scale
10: Skeleton Justice Warriors    || Antivehicular || JMBosch || Lux Animus
11: The ABCsys                   || Lux Animus || Antivehicular || potatocubed
/ BUTTON MASHER / MUGEN
12: Gals and Goons               || ?????? || DalaranJ || Agent Rush
  • Whoever was the first author of Skeleton Justice Warriors should really contact Lux Animus and me to see if we can build this out into a full game. It's already pretty close, but I think the class playbook idea I abandoned for word count could really work.
  • I really like my Undungeoneers setting (despite not being able to come up with a better name!), but I'm still debating whether it should just be incorporated into another game/setting (like the political, coalition-building, revolution-focused game I'm tinkering with) or if it necessitates unique mechanics as its own game. I really like what was done with MAGICON, but personally, with that setup, I'm hoping for something with a bigger scope. If you have ideas on how to expand it into a bigger world and system, Weregoat and/or Hostile V (or others), let me know.
  • Dog Kisser and whoever first came up with Spotlight Harmony/Tempo City Dreams, that's also quite close to a fully fleshed out game, in spite of my very minimal additions. But it's definitely still missing a broader, more free-form roleplaying segment or phase to it. It's currently somewhat boardgame-y and on-rails, and a game with a theme like that needs more narrative and character-driven space to flesh out relationships, entanglements, and personal character goals. I just utterly failed at figuring out how to add that myself...
  • There are others I didn't contribute to that I'd like to give specific comments/encouragement to, but I'll leave that for off-thread talk if the authors want to reveal themselves. I don't want the others who don't get specific shoutouts to feel left out because everyone should be proud of their work here; there's quite a bit of awesomeness. Just know that tastes differ, and if someone doesn't shower your work with praises or want to work with you on a game, the most likely reasons are that it just isn't to their specific tastes and/or they have to prioritize their limited time for creative work.

I can be reached with PMs here on the forums or on Twitter @JayEmBosch (DMs are open). I'm just hoping most of us can take the great ideas we came up with for this contest and refine them into something to actually release into the community. If you are already working on doing that, update the thread to let us know how it's going!

Remember, all of our work in this contest is under a CC BY 4.0 license, so at the bare minimum, you must give attribution to the authors whose work you are incorporating into your own if you want to do something else with it. But it's much better practice to reach out to all of the authors who contributed to the particular entry you're wanting to work from and get permission or work together with them on something.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 25, 2021

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I worked on Round 1 of the Sublime Players.

Would folks like to share their final versions here? It'd be neat to see what people came up with, even if the contest portion is a wash.

JMBosch posted:

pre:
/ Cauldron Bowl Rally
/ MAGICON
2: Card-based Resolution System  || ?????? || Agent Rush || Dog Kisser
/ UG Overdrive / UGOD
3: Step-die resolution system    || ?????? || Hostile V || DalaranJ
/ Hostile V Second Round / Sćhrímnir
4: Rentocracy                    || ??????
6: The Sublime Players           || LaSquida|| Meinberg || Antivehicular
/ Tempo City Dreams
8: The Wizard Came from the Moon || ?????? || potatocubed || LaSquida
9: Let's be Pirates              || ?????? || LaSquida || Otherkinsey Scale
10: Skeleton Justice Warriors    || ?????? || JMBosch || Lux Animus
11: The ABCsys                   || ?????? || Antivehicular || potatocubed
/ BUTTON MASHER / MUGEN

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My first round game was: "That Wizard Came From the Moon"
I think this name was later changed to 'Shadow of the Moon Wizard'?

My second round game was "Gals and Goons"

And my final round game was Sćhrímnir which was previously worked on by Hostile V.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xa8hPq7TOY_YWGYSwqrimjPlC-QaO-nR/view

I have PMs, this is my preferred contact method on SA, but it costs :10bux: so,
I have some public accounts I set up in order to run the Mario Maker threads in games,
You can @ me on twitter SAMarioMaker.
I also have a gmail I don't check, itsmetime30
The name on that account is Mario Mario, which is, not my real name.

Message me and I'll send you the itch.io account name you can attribute my work to, thanks.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 18, 2021

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

My first round was Rentocracy.
Second round was MAGICON.
And Third round was a failure, incomplete, but was gonna be Meat Futures.
Linked what I managed below:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/120jh1a_IlD26B1PGBwCajKIP12MWR_3Y/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=115683276315728708084&rtpof=true&sd=true

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

WereGoat posted:

My first round was Rentocracy.
Second round was MAGICON.
And Third round was a failure, incomplete, but was gonna be Meat Futures.
Linked what I managed below:

Make sure you set the document to 'anyone with this link can view'.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mine was Card-Based Resolution System, followed by Step-Die Resolution System, followed by MAGI-CON.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Here's how far I got with

SHADOW OF THE MOON WIZARD- not sure when that name got changed.

And the character templates/classes

I always love comments, if anyone has thoughts. The setting and ideas behind it were a lot of fun, and working with the Resistance system for the first time was neat.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

LaSquida posted:

Would folks like to share their final versions here? It'd be neat to see what people came up with, even if the contest portion is a wash.
Just a reminder that all of the official final entries should be available in Zurui's Google Drive folder they linked earlier: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZfyhxEbPpuyJck9u7g-TS4J1ssDEmePh

But that doesn't include what people who didn't submit in the final round had or any updates people have made since. So if that describes you, yeah, feel free to post a link if you want to share.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

DalaranJ posted:

Make sure you set the document to 'anyone with this link can view'.

👍

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My original was the step-die resolution system. To answer someone's comment from back then, I'd heard of 20XX when I wrote it but never actually looked into it, so any similarities are entirely a case of convergent evolution.

It was also I who changed 'The Wizard Came From The Moon' to 'Shadow of the Moon Wizard' when I chose it as my stage 2. I feel like there were a lot of directions that the original could have gone in, and I chose... one of them.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I worked on ABCsys / Cauldron Bowl Rally / Skeleton Justice Warriors v3, and if you have any changes you'd like to make to any of them to flesh them out further, feel free!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was the first writer on Skeleton Justice Warriors, and I'd be delighted to work on making it a proper game.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

JMBosch posted:

[*]Dog Kisser and whoever first came up with Spotlight Harmony/Tempo City Dreams, that's also quite close to a fully fleshed out game, in spite of my very minimal additions. But it's definitely still missing a broader, more free-form roleplaying segment or phase to it. It's currently somewhat boardgame-y and on-rails, and a game with a theme like that needs more narrative and character-driven space to flesh out relationships, entanglements, and personal character goals. I just utterly failed at figuring out how to add that myself...

Spotlight Harmony was me. If you were wondering why it was so "board game-y", it's because I wanted to make a tactical RPG that wasn't based on combat.

There was a conversation in the TG chat thread about the idea of a game with tactical depth that involved something besides fighting a while ago; most people involved said it wouldn't be satisfying, or said that in theory a tactical game didn't have to be about combat, but couldn't imagine what it would be about. I realised singing and dancing fit the bill, and figured that instead of fighting enemies, the challenge would come from the audience and its expectations.

And when I drew the "idol singer" card here, that snapped everything into place. I asked a friend for advice about Kpop band archetypes, and made those into the game's "classes". (If I knew more about the industry personally, the narrative side probably would have been more fully realised. But then again, I was trying to keep it in at least the vicinity of 1000 words.)

And then DK added magical girls, which is always a welcome addition to anything.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hey all!

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't abandoned this and between all of the other insanity in my life I'm about halfway through judging the entries and I'm hoping to have them completed tomorrow or Monday. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Very happy to see that a couple of projects are coming out of this jam!

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Spotlight Harmony was me. If you were wondering why it was so "board game-y", it's because I wanted to make a tactical RPG that wasn't based on combat.

There was a conversation in the TG chat thread about the idea of a game with tactical depth that involved something besides fighting a while ago; most people involved said it wouldn't be satisfying, or said that in theory a tactical game didn't have to be about combat, but couldn't imagine what it would be about. I realised singing and dancing fit the bill, and figured that instead of fighting enemies, the challenge would come from the audience and its expectations.

And when I drew the "idol singer" card here, that snapped everything into place. I asked a friend for advice about Kpop band archetypes, and made those into the game's "classes". (If I knew more about the industry personally, the narrative side probably would have been more fully realised. But then again, I was trying to keep it in at least the vicinity of 1000 words.)

And then DK added magical girls, which is always a welcome addition to anything.

I can totally see the inspiration, and yeah, I think you and DK accomplished that goal pretty well, especially considering the word limits. You could probably cut away at a lot of that "on rails" feeling by breaking the pillars of the game free from the day/night cycle and the turn structure a bit and/or fleshing out other things for the PCs to do. Not sure the best way to do that though, since I already failed at it. If another layer or two could be added to the "combat" system, to give the players more options, it'd definitely help as well. Not to just give you more homework, hehe. It's a really good setup and theme. More non-combat games is also always a good thing at this point.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

I might revisit one of these for NaGaDeMon ([Inter] National Games Design Month), the NaNo rebel thing that's been running for the past 11 years. You are tasked to write, play, and talk about a game in November, seemed like a good fit for the people who participated here / who were on the fence / who missed the start.

I had other plans for that though, so maybe not? Maybe later? Have to see.

I think I linked this in one of the discords, but if anyone else is interested in NaGaDeMon in November, discord link below.

https://discord.gg/8qQH8vXC

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2021

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Zurui posted:

Hey all!

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't abandoned this and between all of the other insanity in my life I'm about halfway through judging the entries and I'm hoping to have them completed tomorrow or Monday. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Looking forward to seeing the results, Zurui!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I was the Let's Be Pirates 1st Round author. 2nd round was Card-based resolution, and 3rd round was Gals & Goons.

pre:
/ Cauldron Bowl Rally
/ MAGICON
2: Card-based Resolution System  || Hostile V || Agent Rush || Dog Kisser
/ UG Overdrive / UGOD
3: Step-die resolution system    || potatocubed || Hostile V || DalaranJ
/ Hostile V Second Round / Sæhrímnir
4: Rentocracy                    || WereGoat
6: The Sublime Players           || LaSquida || Meinberg || Antivehicular
/ Tempo City Dreams
8: The Wizard Came from the Moon || DalaranJ || potatocubed || LaSquida
9: Let's be Pirates              || Agent Rush || LaSquida || Otherkinsey Scale
10: Skeleton Justice Warriors    || Antivehicular || JMBosch || Lux Animus
11: The ABCsys                   || Lux Animus || Antivehicular || potatocubed
/ BUTTON MASHER / MUGEN

WereGoat posted:

I might revisit one of these for NaGaDeMon ([Inter] National Games Design Month), the NaNo rebel thing that's been running for the past 11 years. The regime thing is you safe tasked to write, play, and talk about a game in November, send like a good fit for the people who participated here / who were on the fence / who missed the start.

I had other plans for that though, so maybe not? Maybe later? Have to see.

I think I linked this in one of the discords, but if anyone else is interested in NaGaDeMon in November, discord link below.

https://discord.gg/8qQH8vXC

Hey, thanks!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Zurui posted:

Hey all!

Should we assume this is a bust, then?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Antivehicular posted:

I was the first writer on Skeleton Justice Warriors, and I'd be delighted to work on making it a proper game.

Lux Animus posted:

I worked on ABCsys / Cauldron Bowl Rally / Skeleton Justice Warriors v3, and if you have any changes you'd like to make to any of them to flesh them out further, feel free!

Do you two have PMs? If not, email me at Jordan//at//ATypicalFaux.com

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Anyone aiming to flesh out one of the entries for National Game Design Month? Maybe we could use this thread to bounce ideas around and encourage each other, if you don't want to do it in the NaGaDeMon Discord.

I'm hoping to get back to fleshing out Skeleton Justice Warriors, but I'm also finishing up my first OSR adventure (that I'm late on) and just got a big editing contract that'll take most of the month, so not sure how much time I'll have.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Almost two years later, coming back to post a game born from this jam!

Skeleton Justice Warriors is a one-page hack of Lasers & Feelings, based on Antivehicular's original idea. Took so long because I was trying to build it into a full PbtA game, but decided to trim it back down for this year's one-page RPG jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Seriously, go check that out, it's pretty rad and I'm very pleased that my half-baked idea turned into a cool game