Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
it's just a guy who is owned. you just happened to be the last person who said owned before I posted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/and_dads_car/status/1439152214715498497?s=21

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kenny Logins posted:

it's just a guy who is owned. you just happened to be the last person who said owned before I posted it

that dude was totally owned, no doubt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fortaleza posted:

Oregon Humane Society has a policy of not letting someone adopt a BC without experience thanks to so many people being in over their heads in the past, had to go through an interview before being allowed to adopt Cassie

sometimes i think rescue et al orgs can be overboard with interviews but some breeds really do require a check because people don’t know what they’re in for.

i grew up with a border collie from practically birth to like 15 years old and he was wonderful, but we had a small farm for him to run all over. smart. as. a. whip.

he was named happy because that was supposedly one of the few words i could say at the time, and it’s what i said when we got him.

best dog.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, I'm gonna replace my car's exhaust system today and according to my students I tell a lot of dad jokes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, I'm gonna replace my car's exhaust system today and according to my students I tell a lot of dad jokes
:haibrow:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wow, that's more or less in-line with here. crazy

a lot of what people pay for, when they're not planning on breeding or showing, is temperament

our current dog is a rescue, and most (though not all) of my dogs growing up were as well. if you don't care about "papers" you can get all kindsa actual distinct breeds from shelters, there's even breed-specific rescues - one of my dogs in hs was a rescue chihuahua

the problem with rescues is typically socialization and abuse. even puppies, when you can find them at a shelter, can easily have issues like being separated or weaned too early

obviously there are tons of issues with non-reputable backyard breeders and puppy mills and the like, but there are legitimate concerns for rescues as well

that said, "pure" breeds in general aren't the greatest project overall - whenever we end up getting another dog i'd like to go with something with more hybrid vigor like one of those new "fake" breeds like a golden doodle

The first dog we got was a basset/beagle mix and he owns. Would 100% adopt another hound again if I ever buy a house.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/gun_toucher/status/1439218064847953922?s=21

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

there had to be an inevitable darwinian consequence for this sort of hubris

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i wonder if that guy who was making a dating site for hedge fund managers (or something along those lines) and completely devoted to the cult of wework is still married to his dead-eyed wife who clearly wanted out?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The_Franz posted:

i wonder if that guy who was making a dating site for hedge fund managers (or something along those lines) and completely devoted to the cult of wework is still married to his dead-eyed wife who clearly wanted out?

was this the same guy who also constantly ate microwaved tuna in his shared wework office?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

there had to be an inevitable darwinian consequence for this sort of hubris

he successfully reproduced, there is no darwinian consequence unless he gave covid to his kids

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in other news, imperialism nostalgia island is going loving wild

quote:

Shops are to be allowed to sell products in pounds and ounces again after the government pledged to review a ban on marking and selling products in imperial units as part of post-Brexit changes to EU laws.

Brexit minister Lord Frost set out plans on Thursday to ditch EU rules that no longer suit the UK following its depature from the bloc last year.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

qirex posted:

this culture war fuckjng sucks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

now, how long before they go back to that stupid non-decimal currency (which metrication actually predates)?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i mean it is kinda funny that pounds as a product measurement were banned when their money people use to buy said products is called pounds (sterling)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

Starting to think natively speaking English causes brain damage again.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Skull face was right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i mean it is kinda funny that pounds as a product measurement were banned when their money people use to buy said products is called pounds (sterling)

it wasn't even barred, you just have to also sign the thing in metric, as it's the default

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

it wasn't even barred, you just have to also sign the thing in metric, as it's the default

the imperial measurement also couldn't be more prominent than the metric, so no lettuce 25p/lb 55p/kg

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

there's an election in canada on monday so i have created this political cartoon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Truman Peyote posted:

there's an election in canada on monday so i have created this political cartoon

lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Starting to think natively speaking English causes brain damage again.

At this point there seems to be a lot of evidence for this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

good god

(it's right)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

This but for KKKlanada

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we should let alberta separate and then invade to spread canadian freedom

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Truman Peyote posted:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Skull face was right

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/kimwillsher1/status/1439294035357749257

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Truman Peyote posted:

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

brexit has made everyone really willing to spit in the eye of the English and I for one am here for it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They should have just told the French there were several ethnicities of Muslims to hate on in China.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/sundaypelosibot/status/1437091538228625410?s=21

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I was a respiratory therapist, and almost all of my friends are RTs at various hospitals across Edmonton.

They are all so close to breaking, even before this last wave hit. Not only are they short staffed, by about half in many instances, but workload has tripled.

Normally, we would look after 4 sick ventilated patients, or 6 no-too-sick-but-still-ventilated patients. With Covid, because of staffing, they are having to look after 10 (TEN!!!) Ventilated Covid patients EACH. That equates to barely just monitoring and charting that each one is alive, making a couple tweaks and moving on to the next one.

Covid patients are REALLY sick. While intubated, they are often prone -lying on their stomachs- because you get better oxygenation that way. But it makes looking after that person far, FAR more difficult for the RT and nursing. Consider that all of their lines (arterial, central, GI, endotracheal, etc) are all on the anterior side of the body. The chances of one pulling out is so much higher when you're lying on it, and it can't be easily watched.

I have on RT friend who got pulled from pediatrics to work in the adult ICU, who has never worked with adults in 20 years. Because physiology is different enough, she is basically an extra set of hands that knows the implications of what she's doing, which is an enormous help. This includes removing care from those that have passed and cleaning the respiratory equipment from the room. For a while, she was removing care from someone during EVERY SHIFT. She is one of the most solid people I know, and wasn't coping with this.

Nurses have had to start doing all of the "non-critical" patient care that we used to do. This includes seeing patients on the floors, checking asthmatics in emergency, giving medication and respiratory education and helping COOD patients whose O2 levels have dropped. While this is fantastic that they are relieving the RTs of work, it is also adding to theirs.

I also know of at least 1 hospital whose infrastructure isn't keeping up with the amount of oxygen that is being used. They had to set up a backpressure system so that it could deliver enough O2 to the ventilators to make them stop alarming. They alarm when the system pressure is under 80%.

I saw quite a few RTs at a funeral over the summer, and they all looked like they were ready to collapse from exhaustion... And that was when hospitalizations were low.

I don't know how they are still functioning.

I don't know how much longer they'll be able to work.

It's really, really bad in the ICUs.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
stay safe smoka

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The governor of Mississippi was on Jake Tapper and Tapper actually insistently pointed out his state has the worst COVID deaths per capita in the entire world after Peru, and the guy had no response other than to say essentially "well people will stop dying so much eventually".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
amazing