Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There is a theory in that twitch chat that your choices don't matter, but your teammates' do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay yeah I can confirm it's real too. What the gently caress Toby!?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Flesnolk posted:

Stupid question maybe but does it matter if you've been killing everything up to the trash zone? I'd assume so.

if I'm not mistaken, you only have to start worrying about it once you land in the trash zone / recruit Noelle; specifically, there's one boss before that you CAN'T kill

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel compelled to try this out but I'm not totally sure I have the heart to

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I can't believe the berdly loving dies guy was right.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Pressuring the most innocent character into murder is probably the best knife-twist to do a bad route.

except it also makes sense within the story as this chapter is all about Noelle and how she has trouble standing up for herself and saying no. There's the Queen/Noelle's mom parallel in the regular route of course, but in this one she's doing what Kris is telling her (under the guise of making her "stronger") and it's pretty heartbreaking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flesnolk posted:

I feel compelled to try this out but I'm not totally sure I have the heart to

One of the requirements seems to be getting Noelle to lose interest in Susie which is honestly the most hosed up part in this whole thing and something I could never do to Susie.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
The best thing about this alternate path is that it's very quick to check and see if it's real (I was wondering why Noelle wonders why you're going backwards but then doesn't stop you if you keep trying).

I'm currently playing it myself and the moment I saw "Noelle became stronger", I knew it wasn't a hoax.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Electric Phantasm posted:

One of the requirements seems to be getting Noelle to lose interest in Susie which is honestly the most hosed up part in this whole thing and something I could never do to Susie.

Kris and Susie is a popular fan pairing so Toby made setting it up into a genocide run :stare:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So uh the astral projection thing, Ralsei knows what they're doing and have a low-grade freakout when it doesn't work in genocide.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

In my run last night I was actively trying to encourage the two of them to get together so that's even worse!

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Replaying ch1- I had forgotten just how unsettling the start of the game is. At least until Lancer rides in on his bike knocking Ralsei offscreen and goofy music starts playing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

for reasons i can't entirely articulate, the fact that this alternate route exists kind of sours me on the game actually

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also: it seems like if you start fresh at chapter 2 it assumes you spared everyone in 1, wonder if that affects things on this possible route

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I wouldn't say it sours me on it but I am curious how they'll keep it up throughout the story. Even though it's said our choices don't matter these changes seem big enough that it'd change the plot significantly

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
this is nuts and I can't believe this exists

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

for reasons i can't entirely articulate, the fact that this alternate route exists kind of sours me on the game actually

same, honestly. even disregarding the content, like i'd said earlier, it feels like way too much considering DR's increased scope, especially with the more developed cast. not to mention the main route is already a lot more melancholy and foreboding than UT's pacifist run, so did we really need an edgy murder-path this time around?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Amppelix posted:

Oxxidation posted:

same, honestly. even disregarding the content, like i'd said earlier, it feels like way too much considering DR's increased scope, especially with the more developed cast. not to mention the main route is already a lot more melancholy and foreboding than UT's pacifist run, so did we really need an edgy murder-path this time around?

If there's any consolation I can't imagine this leads into chapter 3

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Honestly I think it'd depend on the payoff, and it's too early to know what that is yet since this is only ch2

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Bunny posted:

I wouldn't say it sours me on it but I am curious how they'll keep it up throughout the story. Even though it's said our choices don't matter these changes seem big enough that it'd change the plot significantly

yeah it feels like..... too much? the story ramifications are........... just really big, and we're only in chapter 2

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Amppelix posted:

I'll reserve judgement for now but it does feel like the seams are more visible around the edge, if you know what I mean. Maybe it'll fit in better when we have the full game but there's a big disconnect between Kris's behavior in the chapter and a half before you start the route and once you're on it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol toby fox owns

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Worth noting, regarding how the route ends and how it will carry forward - monsters don't leave corpses (at least, not in Undertale, maybe it's different in Deltarune) so it's possible Berdly isn't dead dead in the real world - and him still being alive would mean that this route's ending deviates less from the normal end than it initially seems

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I can't really articulate why either but I feel the same way. Part of it is that it doesn't actually seem very... good. Like it doesn't feel as well written or well done as the main route, and while a big part of that is obviously that it wasn't the focus, I feel like a big problem is how it handles the characters.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It does make me feel like he's flying too close to the sun, if this is real it feels a little... self-indulgent maybe? Recklessly over-ambitious?

Zinkraptor posted:

Yeah I can't really articulate why either but I feel the same way. Part of it is that it doesn't actually seem very... good. Like it doesn't feel as well written or well done as the main route, and while a big part of that is obviously that it wasn't the focus, I feel like a big problem is how it handles the characters.

Part of my scepticism is it just does not feel like something Toby Fox would write.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I will say that watching that video actually made me feel bad for Berdly when in the main route, at least as far as I played I didn't do the Queen fight yet, I was ready to dropkick that rear end in a top hat into a trashcan

He's a dick, but that was a bit much!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It seems to be a lot shorter than the main route. Not sure how to feel about this so far really.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NewMars posted:

So uh the astral projection thing, Ralsei knows what they're doing and have a low-grade freakout when it doesn't work in genocide.

You got a link or anything? Does Susie still split off from you to save Noelle?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I do feel like it's...a lot

I appreciate that it exists, but almost want it to not continue past this point? It's hard to explain exactly.

I think multiple discrete character growth arcs for a game that's not even a third of the way into release is too much

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

That was loving bizarre

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I don't really care about scope so much because that's on the devs and if they want to do it and feel like they can i'm not going to tell them no. It just feels meaner and Undertale's genocide run was too mean for me anyway. I ain't really feeling it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Anyone know if it works like Undertale yet - if going all the way on this route has lasting consequences even when you reload? (Granted we're only on chapter 2, but the gimmick was present even in Undertale's demo.)

Also, makes me wonder if there's alternate routes for Susie and Ralsei somehow.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good stuff

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BERDLY IS DEAD

e: lmao sick burn on berdly's gamer hobbies rudy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't really care about scope so much because that's on the devs and if they want to do it and feel like they can i'm not going to tell them no. It just feels meaner and Undertale's genocide run was too mean for me anyway. I ain't really feeling it.

yeah the geno route’s grimness was counterbalanced somewhat by the bravery (futile or not) of the monsters you were stomping through. this is just you browbeating a traumatized kid into killing people for shiggles

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was worried the Thanksgiving Hack was too mean but I am no longer concerned.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

jesus thats darker than anything in undertale, the game that you can literally genocide the world in.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

Worth noting, regarding how the route ends and how it will carry forward - monsters don't leave corpses (at least, not in Undertale, maybe it's different in Deltarune) so it's possible Berdly isn't dead dead in the real world - and him still being alive would mean that this route's ending deviates less from the normal end than it initially seems

If you Fight Queen instead of freeing Berdley, he frees himself and burns his arms. Then when he wakes up in the light world he's no longer able to move his arms at all.
It's possible that the result of freezing him in the dark world is "just" inflicting a form of Locked-in Syndrome on him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You know what? I am gonna say i called it.

Tunicate posted:

Gone away is the blue bird.
Here to stay is a Nubert.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
well the alt route definitely confirms that the player is the one making the choices and not actually Kris, as Noelle states the voice telling her to do these things were not Kris' but someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
On a lighter subject, am I the only one finding the graze challenge to be literally impossible? No matter what I do I always get hit at least once.