Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Rise of Skywalker was the only star war I saw where everyone stood up immediately and walked out when the DIRECTED BY JJ ABRAMS popped up at the end

None of the clapping or waiting for an mcu style easter egg or something lol

Oh yeah and then coronavirus started and I had to remember ros being the last movie I saw at a theater

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
New characters, that's where writing by committee, disnarvel style, falls apart hardest.

When they can just steal a character with a beloved characterization from old comics or the public domain, the arcs all make sense.

But their new ones? None of them do anything that makes sense for them to do ever. They always act in ways to connect the action sequences, and the things they learn and grow from feel inherently contrived.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rise of Skywalker is a terrible fake rear end movie in a lot of ways but I enjoyed it the most on first watch of any of the five

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I would have enjoyed it more if they turned the speed to 0.75x

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/uzuriartonline/status/1436707195597606915
https://twitter.com/uzuriartonline/status/1439289990190612485

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

skasion posted:

Rise of Skywalker is a terrible fake rear end movie in a lot of ways but I enjoyed it the most on first watch of any of the five

I walked into it knowing that Carrie's death coupled with the backlash (both for chuddy and other reasons) against The Last Jedi meant that there was no possible way it could be good or even satisfactory, so my expectations could not have been lower. I think that helped me walk out of the theater just kind of shrugging instead of being in complete disappointment.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"karate chopping action" was loving up toys a good 5-7 years before aotc and it sucked then too.

I expected ros to be completely unwatchable going in and found it perfectly ok when viewed in as brain dead a state as one can willfully maintain. I have not thought about it at all since and have no intention of ever doing so.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Watched A New Hope recently, and it hit me that when our heroes escape from the Death Star, not only is it them aboard the Millennium Falcon, but also the four corpses of the scanning crew and the two stormtroopers Han and Luke stole the armor from.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Edit: ^^^^^^^ Gotta skip the airlock disposal scene, it's a kids movie!!!

Yeah I basically made peace with the worst sin of resurrecting the emperor before sitting down and they fuckin burned through that exposition dump so for the rest of the movie I was like "Ok we're excepting a bunch of wild poo poo" and then nearly every bad choice was executed in a fairly entertaining way.
In hindsight there's a ton of poo poo that could have been done better in all of the sequels but ultimately they were fun adventure movies that exist in the same universe as the OG trilogy and I just didn't feel any of that in the prequels.

That being said, with the Mandalorian now I'm comfortable never watching any 'quels again.

Anyway I should stop contributing to this derail of the pictures thread. Fuckin Star Wars.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 19, 2021

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I basically made peace with the worst sin of resurrecting the emperor before sitting down and they fuckin burned through that exposition dump so for the rest of the movie I was like "Ok we're excepting a bunch of wild poo poo" and then nearly every bad choice was executed in a fairly entertaining way.
In hindsight there's a ton of poo poo that could have been done better in all of the sequels but ultimately they were fun adventure movies that exist in the same universe as the OG trilogy and I just didn't feel any of that in the prequels.

I think this has actually been a pretty civil, responsible, and respectful discussion of the sequels, or at least better than the other Star Wars threads where SMG would Kramer in.

For photos, this may be a repeat, but I've always been partial to Capris Tarkin, wherein Peter Cushing hated his costume boots so much that he just wore slippers instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also doing next to nothing with Finn being a reformed stormtrooper could have been redeemed by having his arc bring him from reluctant defector to guy who makes thousands of troopers turn on their oppressors. You even already had the EVEN BADDER BADDIES color coded red so you could have the first order defectors fight them.

When Finn got to the planet where the Death Star crashed and met the other deserters, I really though they were going to turn that into something beyond, "Hey, wanna borrow our boat?"

quote:

There is a way more interesting movie in one or a few of the characters actually shown rallying the galaxy.

The movie even explains that the evil fleet is going to launch in less than a day. Lando has to fly to the core systems, convince people the threat is real with no physical evidence to back him up, get a thousand ships to follow him, and fly back to the edge of the galaxy.

All in under a day.

Rise of Skywalker was just so goddamn stupid on every level :eng99:

EDIT: Imagine a sequel trilogy that spent time following Finn as he rallied the millions of First Order troopers and officers who had been stolen as children to fight for their freedom. Apart from continuing the themes of "break away from the past" that the second movie tried to set up, it gives his character a reason to even exist.

Now imagine that shot of the 'rebel' fleet appearing out of nowhere to fight the penis star destroyers, except now it's hundreds of ships from the First Order fleet - but being flown by all the people Finn rescued from their slavery.

You get your huge space battle, but it's good star destroyers against the evil Sith ones, good stormtroopers against the evil ones - which as someone else already pointed out were already conveniently painted red so you could tell who's who.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 19, 2021

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^^ Gotta skip the airlock disposal scene, it's a kids movie!!!
nah, Chewbacca ate them

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Chewy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
5 > 4 > 4 Remix (7) > 3 > 6 > 8 = 1 > 2 > 9 imo. Rogue one between 1 and 2. I will probably never see Solo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah because they didn't use any lights in Solo!!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Watched A New Hope recently, and it hit me that when our heroes escape from the Death Star, not only is it them aboard the Millennium Falcon, but also the four corpses of the scanning crew and the two stormtroopers Han and Luke stole the armor from.

Some say they are rattling around in there to this day

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

indigi posted:

5 > 4 > 4 Remix (7) > 3 > 6 > 8 = 1 > 2 > 9 imo. Rogue one between 1 and 2. I will probably never see Solo.

Solo is perfectly fine. Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover are delightful, and Wokebot is fun for her brief time. It's not going to blow your mind or anything but it's a fun heist movie until like the last ten minutes where they were like oh poo poo, we have to tie this in to the rest of Star Wars. It's worth a watch.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I like Solo more than any of the 'quels I think.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

indigi posted:

6 isn’t that bad. I’d put it over 7.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Solo wasn't particularly great but people who complain about it being a typical prequel that obnoxiously explains and connects every little thing are funny to me. The movie is obviously a tall tale

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I really want to see the version that could have been.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hazo posted:

For photos, this may be a repeat, but I've always been partial to Capris Tarkin, wherein Peter Cushing hated his costume boots so much that he just wore slippers instead.

A lil movie magic: virtually every single actor with costume heels or annoying footwear wears slippers in coverage shots, even to the point of standing on apple boxes or wearing comfy platforms to match height

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

theflyingexecutive posted:

even to the point of standing on apple boxes or wearing comfy platforms to match height

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

A lil movie magic: virtually every single actor with costume heels or annoying footwear wears slippers in coverage shots, even to the point of standing on apple boxes or wearing comfy platforms to match height

Anthony Daniels said that any time you couldn't see the complete C-3PO costume in a shot, he wasn't wearing it. If you just saw an arm, he was only wearing the arm.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/uzuriartonline/status/1439632726072700933

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wdarkk posted:

6 isn’t that bad. I’d put it over 7.

6 isn't bad at all

Action Jacktion posted:

Anthony Daniels said that any time you couldn't see the complete C-3PO costume in a shot, he wasn't wearing it. If you just saw an arm, he was only wearing the arm.

yeah that thing must have been a loving nightmare to wear

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

indigi posted:

6 isn't bad at all

Return of the Jedi is unironically my favorite Star Wars movie.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ROTJ has two good halves, a half that wraps up the “save Han” plot from ESB and a half where they beat the empire. But they’re not super tightly connected and the movie kind of awkwardly pivots from one to the other. It would never fly making a blockbuster like that nowadays, and I have a soft spot for it as a result (it helps that the ending is really good), but it’s kind of a clunky movie.

Also they couldn’t find a way to follow thru on the draft where Yoda does 9/11 on the imperial capital. Smh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Is that.... Coruscant?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Yoda, truly respecting the tenets of the light side, sacrifices 1 trillion people to kill one.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I forgot this was the pictures thread

:sickos:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I forgot this was the pictures thread

"You see son, it never pays to be ahead in life. More often than not you'll come out with a bit off the top."

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

ZUCKUSS ZONE
posting pictures of zuckuss

:nws: :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bring da Zuckuss