Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

toiletbrush posted:

If you like macro photography you can get macro lenses for iPhones for like $30 that get you *way* closer than 2cm or whatever it is. Obviously its not as convenient but they pack away pretty neatly and you usually get a bunch of other fun lenses together with the macro.
thanks for the tip. but i should probably look into a macro lens for my mirrorless camera if i'm going to put any effort into macro shooting lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenny Logins posted:

thanks for the tip. but i should probably look into a macro lens for my mirrorless camera if i'm going to put any effort into macro shooting lol

yessss get u into some focus stacking

it’s extremely pleasant

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i just had a pismo powerbook with no charger dropped n my lap, going to try to get it up and working so I started googling for a charger tip for my universal charger but it’s a 22 year old laptop so none of the normal places seem to have them. i’d prefer not to get (yet another) dedicated wall wart.

does anyone remember what the power adapters looked like for the G3 powerbooks, maybe have one handy? from google it looks like the original was the m7332 yoyo power adapter, big as an RCA plug with a weirdly huge center power pin that sticks out?? is the tip of that inner connector a ground, or can you just fry your charger by letting the top fall on a conductive surface and short out?

also the ground/outer contact has different lengths for different laptops around that tie, some say 7.5mm and some say 9.5mm.

i am trying to get a tip to fit on my universal charger, if you remember what those chargers looked like, does this link look like the right plug?

http://www.bixnet.com/cntc11.html

this is from some random listing but finding which one is which is a pain.

it looks right to me but :shrug:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hiram Grewgious posted:

i figured they'd still need paper copies as backups, is that not true? maybe an ipad failure wouldn't be as big of a problem as it seems but it seems like a lot of eggs in that basket to me

iirc most flight crews bring multiple ipads for redundancy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i just had a pismo powerbook with no charger dropped n my lap, going to try to get it up and working so I started googling for a charger tip for my universal charger but it’s a 22 year old laptop so none of the normal places seem to have them. i’d prefer not to get (yet another) dedicated wall wart.

does anyone remember what the power adapters looked like for the G3 powerbooks, maybe have one handy? from google it looks like the original was the m7332 yoyo power adapter, big as an RCA plug with a weirdly huge center power pin that sticks out?? is the tip of that inner connector a ground, or can you just fry your charger by letting the top fall on a conductive surface and short out?

also the ground/outer contact has different lengths for different laptops around that tie, some say 7.5mm and some say 9.5mm.

i am trying to get a tip to fit on my universal charger, if you remember what those chargers looked like, does this link look like the right plug?

http://www.bixnet.com/cntc11.html

this is from some random listing but finding which one is which is a pain.

it looks right to me but :shrug:

yeah.

for reference here's an aftermarket one that fits the pismo

the g3 ibooks use the same plug

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mother is still using my ancient 4S, I have badgered her about it for years and was going to buy her a new 13, but honestly I think it'll be too big. I see the SE was only updated last year, I think that'd probably be a better bet for her.

i just moved from a 5 to a 1g se and its like 5x faster, wild poo poo. plus its got touchid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
touch id is good. i was annoyed when i went to the XR for work but then i got a watch to allow masked unlock. bless

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BobHoward posted:

iirc most flight crews bring multiple ipads for redundancy

they should bring an android tablet so that they know google at least knows where they are at all times

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

they should bring an android tablet so that they know google at least knows where they are at all times

lmao

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Gentle Autist posted:

subpoenaing Google for the cockpit voice recordings after a plane goes down over the ocean

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my mid 2015 macbook pro's battery is really hitting its senior years lately. need to replace this bloaty mess soon i guess.

i wish it qualified under the battery replacement program for these laptops but tim's website says it doesn't qualify when I do the serial checker. give me the free battery, tim!!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if it's bloating, replace it literally now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah. the rules of forums comedy dictate to suggest to suck it off, but bloated battery is an actual safety hazard where best worst case scenario is having a toxic acid spill at your home

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I opened it up to clean dust out etc and noticed it looking soft, which is what got it back on my mind. wouldn't describe it as puffy but it has begun looking old like old batteries do. definitely not tight and taut.

its more the labor Id rather avoid because it looks a bit fiddly compared to other batteries I've replaced but i think time has come.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

newertech nupower is your friend

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

macbook pro battery swap was way easier than a phone IMO. i later traded it in to apple and got the full amount so they don’t check the provenance either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah. the rules of forums comedy dictate to suggest to suck it off, but bloated battery is an actual safety hazard where best worst case scenario is having a toxic acid spill at your home

There's no acid in a lithium battery. The electrolyte is a glycol ester or a solid polymer gel or film. :eng101:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

There's no acid in a lithium battery. The electrolyte is a glycol ester or a solid polymer gel or film. :eng101:

fair enough, id still rather not experience a leak if i can help it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh for sure. Even if the stuff did leak without bursting into flame, it would form lithium hydroxide when coming into contact with atmospheric water, and an alkali spill is just as bad

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagebrush posted:

if its bloated don't worry. it won't stay a gel for long

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1438337046217515020

it turns out that the a15 is 10-15% faster geekbenching than the a14 which is fine imo. they didnt brag about it in the keynote so i thought it would be worse than that

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I'm thinking of replacing the battery of my mid-MBP 2015 as well. Let's see how many more years of utility I can get out of it. Hopefully I'll eventually work somewhere that will give me the M1X/M2 as my work machine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah do it up. 2015 rmbp is the best laptop ever made.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I've got the 2014 RMBP which just got cut off for Monterey but it's still great. I need to take it apart though to get the fan repasted and clean it out because it is a bit noisy now but I know it's going to be 300 litle screws and not quite going back together right.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i gave my wife 300 little screws and all i got was two snot nosed kids

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1438337046217515020

it turns out that the a15 is 10-15% faster geekbenching than the a14 which is fine imo. they didnt brag about it in the keynote so i thought it would be worse than that

thank god, was very worried there for a bit that The Number *wouldn't* Have Gone Up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

I'm thinking of replacing the battery of my mid-MBP 2015 as well. Let's see how many more years of utility I can get out of it. Hopefully I'll eventually work somewhere that will give me the M1X/M2 as my work machine.

yeah, the battery on mine is pretty dismal these days as well. the m1 airs are really nice, but if there is a refresh coming early next year, I'll just wait a little longer

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the rumor is laptop refresh in October and iMac early next year. so you only need to wait a few weeks anyway

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
big ram mac mini please

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

hell yeah do it up. 2015 rmbp is the best laptop ever made.

I'm still on Mojave though lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

does anyone remember what the power adapters looked like for the G3 powerbooks, maybe have one handy?

yeah like you found out, its basically RCA but instead of a center pin it has a 3.5mm TRS plug. it actually doesnt use the outer part of the RCA at all. well, it's the return path for the "is charging" light in the power adapter, but totally unnecessary. if you are cool with making your own adapter you can get a solder-on 3.5mm plug and stab it in there and it will work

it doesnt use all 3 positions, in fact the tip is unused

please do a better soldering job than this guy did

also, thats a 2.5mm version for the later G3 and all G4 i/powerbooks, but it's the same pinout for the early ones, just with a different size connector

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Maximo Roboto posted:

I'm still on Mojave though lol

Mojave’s the best version of macOS and I’d still be running it if Xcode didn’t insist on bleeding edge versions

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Hell yeah. idk why Mojave happens to be the best, I'm sure every version has gotten worse in its own way, but I don't know why it's better than High Sierra, anyway I'll take it!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

every few years they decide to just gently caress poo poo up and ship some broken garbage and then take the next two years fixing it. Sierra was bad but high Sierra and Mojave got progressively better, and then catalina was a huge step backwards. sadly Big Sur didn’t really continue the trend of improving after the bad versions and instead decided that what macOS really needed was for installing security updates to take multiple hours

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

big sur totallly broke amazon workdocs cos it removed vfs kexts and I am pretty pleased tbh cos the workdocs client is atrocious and kept locking up my computer no matter what. Hopefully this either inspires a rewrite or we just ditch it entirely

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i caved in and bought a m1 macbook air. i just finished paying off my iphone xr so time to chain myself to another ratal system lol. 0% apr!!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i dont CARE about the refresh if i can save 700 pln from the apple retail price

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
it’s a quality laptop. actually the best one i’ve ever had.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
v much ready to throw this desktop in the trash and replace it with an M2 32 gb ram 2gb SSD Mac Mini (with proper 5120x1440 120 support)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zam Wesell posted:

it’s a quality laptop. actually the best one i’ve ever had.
:yossame: