Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Awesome interview.

Remember that time someone called the comic a Magnum Opus and Lazerbot thought that was an insult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

quote:

The first place to notice my work was Something Awful, which was a fitting name for them, they were truly something awful. They mocked me, used backhanded compliments, and a whole list of other manipulative and narcissistic methods on me.

:smith:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

That feels... a little unfair? I don't really remember what it was like TEN YEARS AGO when this started, but I don't remember any serious Chris-Chan comparisons and I don't know that people were abusive towards LB, I feel like we've been mostly bewilderded and sometimes supportive. I could be wrong.

But also, he got really mad that someone said he was using "unreliable narrator" because he didn't know what that meant and thought it was a criticism, so that might be what he means by "backhanded compliments."

Anyway, it makes me a little sad that that's what he thinks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vargo posted:

That feels... a little unfair? I don't really remember what it was like TEN YEARS AGO when this started, but I don't remember any serious Chris-Chan comparisons and I don't know that people were abusive towards LB, I feel like we've been mostly bewilderded and sometimes supportive. I could be wrong.

But also, he got really mad that someone said he was using "unreliable narrator" because he didn't know what that meant and thought it was a criticism, so that might be what he means by "backhanded compliments."

Anyway, it makes me a little sad that that's what he thinks.

Looking at my post history in this thread, I speculated he might be autistic, and I was one of the nicer ones. Lots of people were also speculating he might be making a lovely comic on purpose as an andy kaufman thing, which is pretty insulting to read about your sincere work.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
iirc he also got real upset when people suggested to him to stop using gay/ablest slurs as much?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
He’s a fun guy alright

But we can be what he needs us to be

Posting from the shadows

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zerilan posted:

iirc he also got real upset when people suggested to him to stop using gay/ablest slurs as much?

Who can forget Tails Gets Gay.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

coolbob posted:

The website "Know Your Meme" DMed me on Twitter and asked me if they could interview Lazerbot, so I got him in contact with them and this was the result. Pretty interesting article

https://knowyourmeme.com/editorials/interviews/lazerbot-the-creator-of-tails-gets-trolled-reveals-the-history-of-the-legendary-webcomic

That's my fanart lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yoooo we still got it

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

my story is a bit different from the normal stories

I'm reminded about the time a few years back when I tried to tell Lazerbot and his brother that some goons unironically appreciated his work and they called me a troll. lol

At the same time though, I can understand his point of view. Even among some people who enjoy the comic, there was always a air of superiority and looking down at him. And it wasn't just back then either. I mean, even a few pages ago in this thread, there are posts like these:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I tolerate Lazerbot because I'm laughing at him and he doesn't seem to be a hateful person, just stupid.

The Chris Chan/autism stuff didn't really come from here though, IIRC that was mostly from Encyclopedia Dramatica and random trolls (like the hacker).

Proletarian Mango posted:

That's my fanart lol

You mean the one with the decapitated Sonic?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Initially, we made fun of his work because it looked like fan fiction drawn and written by an edgy 12-year-old. And that's also why we loved it. Many of us have since come to appreciate his work on a deeper level, and the comic itself has evolved somewhat...but fundamentally, the over-the-top juvenile nature of the comic has always been a basic part of the appeal.

All of this seems so obvious that it feels strange even spelling it out like this, and it usually felt like lazerbot himself was in on the joke. That's one the things that make the author (and his work) so interesting, I think. He's clearly no idiot, and perceptive enough to see that goons were indeed being 'manipulative and narcissistic', and just generally condescending, but apparently not enough to realize why his comic got that initial reception.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

coolbob posted:

I'm reminded about the time a few years back when I tried to tell Lazerbot and his brother that some goons unironically appreciated his work and they called me a troll. lol

That's kinda sad.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I feel superior to lazerbot but also I'm a no-talent hack who's never even tried to make a webcomic so gently caress me. good on him for doing his interesting and terrible and often enjoyable thing.

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

lazerbot isn't a nerd but he has street smarts. he grew up on the hardcore streets

anyway new page

coolbob fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 3, 2021

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Are we officially post-Lazerbot at this point or are there still some finished pages coming out? Because that art is pretty spot if he’s gone.

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

Pug Rodeo posted:

Are we officially post-Lazerbot at this point or are there still some finished pages coming out? Because that art is pretty spot if he’s gone.

He drew some future pages but that wasn't one of them. More info:

coolbob posted:

You can see who did what on each page on the credits section of the website. The last page Lazerbot drew is the one where Luigi burns Machick (the purple-haired troll) to death [Page 11]

The goal is to replicate Lazerbot's art style as closely as possible. It helps that he drew concept art for characters who haven't appeared yet like that dragon

coolbob fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 28, 2021

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
gently caress YES ROB

HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY loving EARS YOU KNOW!!

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

Today I appeared on the Pro Crastinators Podcast to detail some behind the scenes information about Tails Gets Trolled and my interactions with Lazerbot and Embergram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjO5ds8siU

Also, later tonight at 7:30 PT/10:30 ET there will be a virtual Tails Gets Trolled panel at the Newgrounds Summer Festival with Lazerbot, Embergram, myself, Cybershell, one of the artists of Chapter 23, and Jenk3m (the guy who designed the website). I am surprised that Lazerbot and his bro are ok with appearing together after their falling out, but apparently they agreed to it, according to Jenk3m who set this whole thing up. Should be interesting. It'll stream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WgSC4UxkE

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

coolbob posted:

Today I appeared on the Pro Crastinators Podcast to detail some behind the scenes information about Tails Gets Trolled and my interactions with Lazerbot and Embergram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjO5ds8siU

Also, later tonight at 7:30 PT/10:30 ET there will be a virtual Tails Gets Trolled panel at the Newgrounds Summer Festival with Lazerbot, Embergram, myself, Cybershell, one of the artists of Chapter 23, and Jenk3m (the guy who designed the website). I am surprised that Lazerbot and his bro are ok with appearing together after their falling out, but apparently they agreed to it, according to Jenk3m who set this whole thing up. Should be interesting. It'll stream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WgSC4UxkE

I would never have imagined when this all started that a post like this would ever exist.

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

Pug Rodeo posted:

I would never have imagined when this all started that a post like this would ever exist.

same, let alone that i'd be involved

For those who missed the panel and don't want to try to find it in the NG livestream archive, I reuploaded it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apgPn8engS8

Surprisingly Lazerbot actually appeared near the end

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I want to get in on one of these things sometime, in character, and just ramble to see how long I can get away with it

Edit: not even advertised, Kermit the Frog is just there on the panel

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 29, 2021

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

how long do you think they'll get away with this?

https://twitter.com/tailsgottrolled/status/1435244098667958272

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh my god I'm tempted to buy it just so I own it before it gets shut down, but $30 is a little steep for something so stupid.

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

Hopefully as long as Sonichu has been getting away with it https://www.amazon.com/Sonichu-0-C-W/dp/1699276854/

coolbob fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 7, 2021

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

On Friday I will be holding a physical copy of TGT in my hands while my wife looks at me in disgust for spending $30 on such a dumb book.

This rules.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, I just had to order that.
I'm wondering how it handles the really tall format, though.
I'm hoping they broke up the frames a bit to fit the dimensions of the book, otherwise it'll just be a long strip in the middle of the pages.

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

No one else posted about it so I guess I should mention that TGT is still coming out with new pages. And Lazerbot had another interview on the Pro Crastinators Podcast here.

joke pages (lazerbot wrote these and did the art for the first two before he left tgt)

(continuation of the alternate reality thing from last year)

coolbob fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 8, 2021

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Rob and the Dragon crashing is drawn really really well, dang

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whoever's drawing Coyote is definitely a leg guy/gal

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Rob having absolutely no problem hearing dragons actually tracks

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip cool dragon

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It's here!!!!
(first photo accompanied by my custom TGT deck of cards for scale)

It's bigger than I thought. I was expecting a small paperback novel sized book, but it's like a full 8"x11" sheet of paper. Pretty much required when you shrink the text down to this size.
Definitely worth it.

EDIT: Also glad that it wasn't the "TGT Polished Edition" that started rebooting the story and made it worse.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 9, 2021

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

JazzFlight posted:

It's here!!!!
(first photo accompanied by my custom TGT deck of cards for scale)

It's bigger than I thought. I was expecting a small paperback novel sized book, but it's like a full sheet of paper. Pretty much required when you shrink the text down to this size.
Definitely worth it.

Yeah I used the biggest paper size available for that reason. Thanks for the purchase, and thanks to everyone else who bought one as well. The sales go to Lazerbot and myself (which is really needed especially for Lazerbot IMO, it's a crime that he's not a millionaire)

JazzFlight posted:

EDIT: Also glad that it wasn't the "TGT Polished Edition" that started rebooting the story and made it worse.

That would be an even bigger crime. Also it's not canan

coolbob fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 9, 2021

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
I got my hard copy of Volume 1 yesterday!

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I’ve got mine too. Well worth the cost in my opinion if you’ve been on this wacky ride from the start.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Can't believe this is still going and that it is now being sold.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just hope we get Volume 2 because that covers the Looney Tunes “Neutrals” introductions and would stop before the super long 8-year fight scene.

coolbob
Apr 18, 2020

JazzFlight posted:

I just hope we get Volume 2 because that covers the Looney Tunes “Neutrals” introductions and would stop before the super long 8-year fight scene.

Yeah, that's in the works. I would recommend goons to not buy Volume 3 unless you enjoy Eggman rape

Anyway, TGT is updating a lot more lately (for now) so several new pages have been posted

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Seeing Elmer in that level of detail is oddly off putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

... I don't recall Sonichu in this...

:piss: