Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I really did not enjoy the Y the Last Man premier - felt like just an incredible misstep as far as a way to start a show. Felt like hours of changing the channel, flipping through random network shows. "Oh good, another vignette of uninteresting people being boring." Do the next two episodes get any better?

Also - is Rick and Morty bad now? The horse-sperm episode was bad enough I turned it off part way through and walked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

False posted:

I really did not enjoy the Y the Last Man premier - felt like just an incredible misstep as far as a way to start a show. Felt like hours of changing the channel, flipping through random network shows. "Oh good, another vignette of uninteresting people being boring." Do the next two episodes get any better?

Also - is Rick and Morty bad now? The horse-sperm episode was bad enough I turned it off part way through and walked away.

That’s the low point of the season for sure, the rest was better except maybe episode 7 which was pretty not great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I kinda bounced off Y after three episodes. Was hoping for more "Y: the last man" and less "designated survivor"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watch Creamerie instead

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The end of this season of Rick & Morty was very good and kind of signifies a shift in where the show could go if they follow up on it properly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

False posted:

I watched the first three episodes and it stays boring. I'm done with Y.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched the first three episodes and it stays boring. I'm done with Y.

Apparently it picks up again in episode 5, from what critics have said.

But yeah, I thought episode 3 was a total bust, and episode 1 was a very strange adaptive choice.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

False posted:

That one flipped the odometer to "so bad, it's good" for me...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How many episodes should I give person if interest? I like the concept but the first couple haven't really grabbed me

I was skeptical because Person of Interest seemed like a generic "dad show" until I got to Season 1, episode 7. That's when I knew things were going to get really interesting, and they did. I think the next couple dragged after that, but at some point between episodes 10 and 12, it started ramping up and becoming the good show it eventually became.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Family Guy hasn't been good in a long time but this is really the end of an era.

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1439303346444115978?s=21

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Agent 355 is the only thing remotely interesting in Y the Last Man.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

False posted:

I never thought it was great but it was dark fun for a while. In season 4 there was that episode with the masturbation dragons or whatever it was and I felt like I was watching some terrible youtube video parody of a children's show trying to be as obscene and disgusting as possible. There's ways to do that and be funny but I just felt like I was watching something a dirty man had cooked up in his dank room that shouldn't have been seen by anyone.

Anyway I went back when season 5 started and the glow seemed to be totally gone. Just a bunch of mean spirited horseshit. Although come to think of it there's an episode in season 1 where Morty gets raped by a magic bean, so it was really always like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MiddleOne posted:

Better Call Saul, for all its strengths, has a real problem with overindulgent editing and just generally poor pacing. If you think it's bad on the binge, just imagine watching it one episode a week.

Also the Mike segments can be pretty much be freely skipped if you're not a fan. They're all just building to stuff you've already seen and you already know from watching Breaking Bad.

Never skip anything!

There are constant visual and thematic echoes and parallels throuhout the plotlines in BCS and on the long view it all intertwines.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
There is this South Korean show The Squid Game just on Netflix which asks the very important question "what if The Genius was also Battle Royale ?" and goes from there.
Only one episode in and it's pretty wild.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Evil: As usual I have no idea what's going on or what motivates anyone other than the core trio, but I'm strangely enjoying it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Evil: As usual I have no idea what's going on or what motivates anyone other than the core trio, but I'm strangely enjoying it

They're clearly building to some sort of reveal with Cheryl, and I'm very excited for whatever the gently caress it'll end up being.

Am I right in thinking that her doll is her equivalent of Leland's therapist?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember when Amazon was spending a fortune on prestige shows like Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and the Woody Allen series. Are they going to hire Brett Ratner next?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CeeJee posted:

There is this South Korean show The Squid Game just on Netflix which asks the very important question "what if The Genius was also Battle Royale ?" and goes from there.
Only one episode in and it's pretty wild.

We put that on yesterday and ended up binging the whole thing (and we tend to pace how many eps of something we watch in one go).

I'm a little conflicted about how it ended, and some of the side plots were a little eh, but otherwise I thought it was really great.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There are so many combined death game and gambling survival stories in japanese and korean fiction at this point that I genuinely can't tell if Squid Game is original or a rip-off. Either way, it's the most fun I've had with the concept since watching Kaiji Ultimate Survivor a lifetime ago. Obviously it's more on the survival game end of the spectrum but it's a lot of fun.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Billions continues to be brilliant and underrated.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You know, The Nanny totally holds up, at least up to where I'm watching.
But is it me or does it look like, gauzy? And I don't think it's a transfer quality issue, even when originally airing it always looked very de-saturated and kinda blurry. Looks like a soap opera but shot at 24fps. Is it just me?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Nope, a lot of 90s shows look like poo poo because of taping on video, and of course pre-HD. Its why there are all things AI projects to make HD versions of various 90s sci fi like Farscape and Star Treks, because there is nothing to remaster.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

swickles posted:

Nope, a lot of 90s shows look like poo poo because of taping on video, and of course pre-HD. Its why there are all things AI projects to make HD versions of various 90s sci fi like Farscape and Star Treks, because there is nothing to remaster.

I mean Friends started a year later and it looks way better and sharper, but I do think it's that the Nanny is all pastels and light colors while Friends is a little bit more colorful at least in clothes because it's the most whitebread show ever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's plenty to remaster for Star Trek, they just refuse to do it.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Calaveron posted:

I mean Friends started a year later and it looks way better and sharper, but I do think it's that the Nanny is all pastels and light colors while Friends is a little bit more colorful at least in clothes because it's the most whitebread show ever.

Friends was filmed on.. film and not tape. 35mm I think.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I remember trying that show out and other than Paul Giamatti O face the other thing I drew from it was all these ppl are terrible and wondering why I should care about them.

Also felt like they were really drawing things out even in the few eps I watched

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sekhmnet posted:

Friends was filmed on.. film and not tape. 35mm I think.

Most shows of the era were shot on film and edited on tape. The Nanny, though, was definitely shot on video (probably Betacam SP), I remember it being a crown jewel for CBS at the time because it was so cheap to produce.

And, yeah, Friends was shot in Super35 from the get-go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The last season is kind of bad, after they get together it really loses all it's forward momentum and ends up leaning far too hard on guest stars

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching Chicago Party Aunt and it’s quite impressive how instead of writing jokes, it’s just references to the aforementioned city that nobody outside it’s inhabitants will care about.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LionArcher posted:

I don’t know. I like it as a guilty pleasure, but it is nothing more than that no matter how hard it tries to be prestige television. The Chuck vs. Axe is to the point that it is just annoying this many seasons in. Axe keeps getting worse, and now it is impossible to route for him no matter the situation. I was hoping they would try new things (they did for a season), but I guess they will circle that drain until it is over.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching Chicago Party Aunt and it’s quite impressive how instead of writing jokes, it’s just references to the aforementioned city that nobody outside it’s inhabitants will care about.

As someone who lives in Chicago I guarantee we don’t care either

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sumo posted:

As someone who lives in Chicago I guarantee we don’t care either

We can all join together in seeing it as a complete dud then!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I don’t know. I like it as a guilty pleasure, but it is nothing more than that no matter how hard it tries to be prestige television. The Chuck vs. Axe is to the point that it is just annoying this many seasons in. Axe keeps getting worse, and now it is impossible to route for him no matter the situation. I was hoping they would try new things (they did for a season), but I guess they will circle that drain until it is over.

I like it because it’s showing at this point the corrosive nature of all of capitalism, but not in the obnoxious way that’s Succession does to make people feel better that the ruling class are all idiots. One of the things that makes Chuck interesting and incredibly annoying, is how he’s constantly talking like he’s auditioning to be a modern-day Hamilton. But the truth is, I know a lot of extremely well educated academic elite types that talk in a similar manner, and that think they are the superior ones to the those they “protect” and or “rule over”.

The flipside is the ruthless but far more common approach that Axes and the others take. As the seasons have gone on, everybody has become less likable, in this last episode alone sort of shows that anyone in that orbit basically becomes tainted by the obsession with capitalism. In fact, the only reason Axe is likable again is because he’s finally admitted he has feelings for someone that is a good pairing for him.

On the same side, Taylor who’s been an anchor of morality until recently has lost it, but the underlings people around them are finally painting a clear picture that all of its bad. Really, it’s taking a much more realistic view of the entire system while not overdoing it.

I would say it needs one more season and then ends though. It can’t keep going too much further.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t understand that post. Do you have any burger analogies you could use instead?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t understand that post. Do you have any burger analogies you could use instead?

You okay Esco? :3

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

You okay Esco? :3

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903088&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=16#post517861646

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
If you have to explain the joke, Emmys, it's probably not great. But thank you for explaining who Cedric's three TV wives are.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Emmys moving Limited Series to last is looking real dumb in retrospect. Gee, I wonder if Mare of Easttown is gonna win after winning literally everything else in Limted Series, what suspense.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Oh hi Conan

CapnAndy posted:

The Emmys moving Limited Series to last is looking real dumb in retrospect. Gee, I wonder if Mare of Easttown is gonna win after winning literally everything else in Limted Series, what suspense.

If it's like the Oscars, they will screw it up in spectacular fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
loving Hamilton wins over 846 and Inside. Can't say i'm surprised, but still dumb as hell.