Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

imo trying to codify a category of 'bad threads' just drives a perception that all posters in those are 'bad people' so maybe just let mock threads be the quarantine for people who'd otherwise be going around the rest of the threads picking fights by loudly proclaiming they don't like the thread's topics (often with a horrible insinuation about the otherwise positive-minded people therein) and when they tip towards creeper behavior like doxxing or long-winded fanfiction about what people do, just shuffle them off elsewhere. That way there's a safe place for the negative-minded folks but also good times nearly everywhere else, and folks who aren't around to laugh at expensive failures are able to read other threads without being distracted.

all of the posters in those threads are bad people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just don't know if taking a categorical proscriptivist stance on "lol stadia" or similar is a very rational thing to do

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

I just don't know if taking a categorical proscriptivist stance on "lol stadia" or similar is a very rational thing to do

jokes get old and unfunny and the stadia is old and unfunny. if there was still funny news about the stadia coming out then sure the thread could stick around but nothing has and the thread is just full of people getting angry at stux for posting long joker, people laughing at the people getting mad at Stux or people making fun of people on reddit who have managed to get some enjoyment out of the stadia.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Why so serious

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The fact that the star citizen people have managed to keep their mockthread thread despite all the crazy doxxing and creeper poo poo that went on there is astounding...Did they somehow get less bad or are they just not as whiny about being trolled about it as the stadia and blizzwatch people are.

edited to be less inflammatory :hai:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 19, 2021

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a consistent string of news that comes out about Star Citizen.

And the majority of the weird doxxing people were banned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

nobodys doing that, were just saying that going 'lol stadia' once or twice is healthy and normal, going 'lol stadia' ten times a day for two years is weird

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol stadia thread

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lotta people mad about a thread they could just not post in

ok bye

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if we need a specific barometer i think finding and pasting a kid's school essay to mock is a good place to start

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Looper posted:

if we need a specific barometer i think finding and pasting a kid's school essay to mock is a good place to start

which thread did this lmao

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Boba Pearl posted:

That is terrible, why is that allowed?

Was that in the webcomic thread in BYOB? Is like? Or was this an old thread?

It was in BSS. The incident was a while ago now and at the time iirc BSS only had one mod who only paid attention to the superhero comic threads. There's always been a pretty sharp divide in that forum though, with mods being pulled from and mostly only managing the cape comic stuff unless the was a wave of reports in a webcomic thread. It's gotten a bit better in recent times at least. I don't know if doing something that would be "allowed" if a mod caught it. Probably not? Mock threads were banned in BSS for a long time because of how many of them went to poo poo.

Anyway, like I said before, I'm not pushing to close any extant threads right now, and me bringing this up wasn't about "stopping people from having fun laughing at failures." I certainly wouldn't be in a position to condemn that. I've had fun doing that in the past, present, and I imagine the future. I don't think approaching a thread like that as "containment" is a great justification either. Concentrating all the posting in one spot, leaving it to marinade and develop "a culture" sounds like it leads into the negative feedback loop that turns a thread really noxious.

Having someone to shut it down with probations helps somewhat, but you're still pulling from a particular in-group there and they can drift with the rest of the thread over time. The only thing I've seen that really helps is having a decent consensus with the thread's regular posters on what's out-of-line and calling things out when that happens, plus just letting the thread go quiet if there's nothing truly remarkable going on. Posters in one mock thread always seem to also follow a couple more. It's not hard to find something else to lol at online.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

which thread did this lmao

stadia

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Endorph posted:

I appreciate you copping to it and regretting it. However, if you regret it, surely you understand how an insular community built around mocking something can encourage and enable that kind of behavior if not kept in check.

Yeah, I absolutely do. What I did was over the line and I now actively discourage others from doing it. If it goes over that line again I'm out - I wouldn't touch the Star Citizen thread back when Derek Smart was involved because of his creepy poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endorph posted:

nobodys doing that, were just saying that going 'lol stadia' once or twice is healthy and normal, going 'lol stadia' ten times a day for two years is weird

I think that may have been a number of people once or twice rather than one person all the time though, not sure anyone could manage that many alts

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
My sincere feedback is to replace the feedback thread.

An open place for community feedback is one of those things which sounds good in theory but doesn't actually work in practice, as demonstrated by things like school board meetings. You start out with high minded ideas of honest community engagement and end up with it being taken over by a handful of regulars who endlessly grind the same axe forever and chase everyone else out.

It's happened here now where an issue was brought up, arguments had, and now that a decision has been made and actions taken the same people keep showing up to keep fighting the same fights over and over again.

Instead I suggest making a closed feedback system where people can submit feedback but can't read feedback from others. You'll still get the same feedback both good and bad, but people won't have a public space to endlessly hash out the same arguments in generating hundreds of posts to moderate. You can then spend your volunteered time and energy moderating actual threads instead of the feedback thread, or like playing video games or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this thread worked fine for a long while until a certain thread lost their minds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this thread served a vital purpose in preventing internal games stuff from washing up in QCS

It's working fine

mods should close it for an unspecified length of time though and then open it without telling anybody, so it's usable next time it's needed but people don't feel the need to keep posting about nothing in it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stux posted:

this thread worked fine for a long while until a certain thread lost their minds
really at this point a certain poster whose name is Fauxton.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lazy Fair posted:

Instead I suggest making a closed feedback system where people can submit feedback but can't read feedback from others. You'll still get the same feedback both good and bad, but people won't have a public space to endlessly hash out the same arguments in generating hundreds of posts to moderate.

actually reading the post now i decided i agree, 1000% this. dont le tthe community discuss in the open how they want to be moderated. take all suggesitosn into a black box so that the outcome appears arbitrary and everyone collectively gets slowly pissed off and angry causing mods to flame out and people to meltdown in qcs constantly. cosigned ont his idea op, we need to follow the example of the insane forums with constant moderation issues.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thread is fine it's just one or two posters that are being a problem :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

We do plan to reboot the feedback thread in the near future, ideally with a rules refresh to go along with it. Still in thread form for open discussion.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

script that autoconverts all replies into 2000% height pngs

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

imo trying to codify a category of 'bad threads' just drives a perception that all posters in those are 'bad people' so maybe just let mock threads be the quarantine for people who'd otherwise be going around the rest of the threads picking fights by loudly proclaiming they don't like the thread's topics (often with a horrible insinuation about the otherwise positive-minded people therein) and when they tip towards creeper behavior like doxxing or long-winded fanfiction about what people do, just shuffle them off elsewhere. That way there's a safe place for the negative-minded folks but also good times nearly everywhere else, and folks who aren't around to laugh at expensive failures are able to read other threads without being distracted.

it's you

you're the bad thread

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's you

you're the bad thread

I see you're upset about something and that's unfortunate. I hope it doesn't weigh too heavily on you though, it'd be even more unfortunate if your day got ruined by posts in a thread and I don't think anyone wants that to happen. Wishing the best for you friend

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I see you're upset about something and that's unfortunate. I hope it doesn't weigh too heavily on you though, it'd be even more unfortunate if your day got ruined by posts in a thread and I don't think anyone wants that to happen. Wishing the best for you friend

cheetah7071 posted:

this thread served a vital purpose in preventing internal games stuff from washing up in QCS

It's working fine

mods should close it for an unspecified length of time though and then open it without telling anybody, so it's usable next time it's needed but people don't feel the need to keep posting about nothing in it

:yeah:

People are just posting at this point. Give feedback thread a week+ vacation.

Anything urgent can be covered by reports + QCS.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That seems pretty disjointed, thanks for saying it's nice even though I'm not trying to 'troll' anyone. This might help:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i have moderation feedback, stop this moron from posting in this thread bcos their protracted meltdown is incredibly embarassing

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

nap time for thread

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The comparison to school board meeting regulars is pretty spot-on. :(

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kavros posted:

we need a mod that gets us free games and some free beer

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

we need a mod that gets us free games and some free beer

Wait is that what happens at school board meetings?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm as open minded as the next fella, but I don't think we oughta allow human instrumentality in this forums. I dunno, maybe it's just me, seems kinda un-American.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kavros posted:

won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

make sure you boot the ASOIAF threads also. they're still going on and mocking it even though the books are still going to not release and the show ended 3 years ago and there's been no content since.

e: lol sorry I thought this was the stadia thread so I shitposted, my bad

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 25, 2021

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Barreft posted:

make sure you boot the ASOIAF threads also. they're still going on and mocking it even though the books are still going to not release and the show ended 3 years ago and there's been no content since.

e: lol sorry I thought this was the stadia thread so I shitposted, my bad

Yeah if the Bad Thread is still going it should probably be gassed. It's been The Bad Thread for like a decade now!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah if the Bad Thread is still going it should probably be gassed. It's been The Bad Thread for like a decade now!

Forums court on threads to purge cause people dare talk about the thread topics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why doesn't Games have a spooky name?