Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

:ghost: Posting drinks from the afterlife :ghost:

If I didn’t make this I would assume it was just scotch and Benedictine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Votes are in. We are going for an extended twilight. It's still D3 until tomorrow at 10PM EDT. Then N4 will be 24 hours.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Oh good. Family just went to hospital (not terribly urgent, in pain and urgent care couldn't help her) and we're impromptu babysitting so pork stir fry is postponed. I was going to joke about drinking my cocktail for dinner to top off this crap week but ordered Chipotle (I admire people that can improvise on the fly, I don't have that skill).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wasn't sure I'd have time to cook today, but then I realised

I had all the ingredients I needed right on hand,

to make a quick summer pasta!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

This was yesterday's lunch, which I am now getting around to posting. I had porkchop and "applesauce". When I work from home, I do lunch porkchops fairly frequently, I might have to add the baked apples to the rotation though, it was super easy.
Ok, get a nice thick cut, bone in pork chop. Season it on both sides with Adobo.

Pan sear it real good on both sides. This chop is too thick to cook through on the stove top without burning it, so we're going to transfer to an oven at 350oF for 15 minutes. Stand that chop up on the bone side so you don't overcook it on the side facing down.

OK! Apple time.
Step 1) Get apples.

Step 2) Slice apples.

Step 3) Season apples (I used a little sugar, a lot of cinnamon, some nutmeg and a pinch of salt).

Step 4) Microwave for 3 minutes.

Step 5) Put on plate with porkchop and eat.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

:lmao: Bif

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I also made CPig's Noodle Stirfry for dinner. I went to my parent's for Yom Kippur, and they offloaded a bunch of the relish tray for the bagles and schmear so that is where I got most of the pile of veggies from, I supplemented a bit, but that is why there is presliced veg in my mise.

Add in some broccoli and more mushrooms and cut better.

Par cook the broccoli in some salted boiling water, then shock it in icewater to stop the cooking. You can see the noodles in the second pic, I forgot to take a picture of them, but prepare the noodles how the package tells you to.

Butterfly your pork because it is too thick. Then pan sear it.

Now get your wok rip roaring hot. Add in oil. Start with the onions, then the peppers, then the mushrooms. Season here. I used red chili flakes and salt, but that was because I was lazy. You season how you want.
Dice your pork, then throw it in along with the broccoli. The pork wasn't cooked through yet, it's going to finish cooking in the wok.

Once the pork is cooked through (shouldn't take long, woks are hot) Add the noodles. Toss to combine. Then add in the soy sauce. Toss some more.

Serve.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

And now it is time for my drink. I am pretty short on mixers, but never short on alcohol so I decided to make a think I have only ordered places when I was still in my 20s. A Long Island Iced Tea. I had most of the stuff, but was out of lemon juice and vodka. I made do though.
I used Whole Leaf Gin from Dogfish Head. I think they are known more in the area for their beers, but they have a great distillery too. Patron Silver for the tequila. Bacardi for the white rum and this orange cognac (Extase... is that pronounced ecstacy?) I had for the orange liqueur, I upped the amounts of each of these to make up for the missing vodka. And to replace the fresh squeezed lemon juice, I used mike's hard lemonade.

Combine everything. Shake well with a good bit of ice, and top off with some coke.

Drink it realizing how dangerous it is considering the sheer amount of it that is straight liquor and wake up with a hangover.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I am really low on booze but I did have some rum. Also had some limes and some mint.

Also did not have club soda. I usually have SOME kind of fizzy beverage. In this case I had Pepsi and San Pellegrino. Pepsi+rum+lime would just be some kind of Cuba libre. So I went for orange cactus mojito.

(Obviously, I did not want to shop.)

I didn't muddle sugar with the mint because there's sugar in the San Pellegrino. It turned out to be a little on the sour side, so I added about a teaspoon of honey. Honey cactus mojito.

It looks like there's a lot more mint in there than is actually there, in this picture! It is cool and refreshing and probably would have hit a lot better if it wasn't like 55 degrees outside. I have come up with better mixes tbh. I have also done worse. (Rum and Mtn Dew, I used to drink a LOT of Mtn Dew. Mixed it with rum, on one occasion, drank a lot of it, I am surprised that I ever was able to drink either rum OR Mtn Dew again, after that one. The things you learn in college.)

Okay, the more I drink of this the better it gets.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I made myself a Tangelo Tequila Spritzer and it was pretty great.

I was inspired when shopping for the pork stir fry - I haven't had tangelos in ages so I found this recipe with a minor substitution - the given recipe calls for just seltzer but I saw this can of hard lime seltzer and had to try it:

I don't really make mixed drinks often (I usually keep it limited to 2 ingredients like rum & coke, sometimes beer or wine) so I don't have a shaker but just stirred it with a spoon.

I did try to add a tangelo wedge as a garnish but it was too juicy so it slipped into the glass, lol.

It would have made the drink more enjoyable I think being mixed appropriately with a shaker but it was still pretty good. I left out the agave but it didn't need it, it was lightly sweet/tart.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

After a busy day going to the park and the pool, it's time to relax with a nice cool drink. An Australian favourite, Lemon Lime Bitters!

Ingredients:
lemon and lime
lemonade
Angostura bitters
Grenadine for Minifauxnen's version (the alcohol content of just a few splashes of bitters is pretty tiny, but I'm not taking chances with a 6-year-old)

First, put some fresh slices of actual lemon and lime in the bottom, and muddle them up with some splashes of the bitters.

Next, top up with lemonade. (translator's note: "lemonade" means Sprite or similar lemon flavoured soda)

(I ended up putting a few drops of grenadine in mine too later, just for the colour, since these particular bitters didn't have any nice reddish colour on their own)

Cheers!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Link on page 1 says 25 points, not that I am gonna make this but...

Fixed. 30 points is accurate.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Well my partner wasn’t super keen on most of these dishes, despite my protesting, so apologies but I won’t be able to cook a lot of them.

I have however made milkshakes tonight! source

- 4 bananas (you want these a bit ripe, I personally chopped them and put them in the freezer a few hours early to try and ripen them a bit and as they were bought today)
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk (I used semi-skimmed)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Chuck the lot in a blender and you’re done! My blender started emitting a burnt plastic smell so I’ve probably done irreparable damage.

Banana flavour was more subtle than I would have liked but was still very tasty.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

That looks good OA.

I'm going to make stir fry tonight before deadline but too many unexpected things happened this week to cook a lot.

I do want to try Plastic's recipe but it may not be during the game, I'm just so curious about the flavor. Maybe if I'm feeling brave I'll try Hal's rollie thing. I'm going to make a summer salad entirely different than what voodoo shared :cheeky: It's one I've made before with quinoa, lime juice, corn, tomatoes, and some other veggies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Today, being Saturday, is date night. Because during the full lockdown we spent literally every waking moment with our children, we needed to carve out some time for ourselves. And what this means I have managed to cook two things.

The first was the kids’ dinner, which is my take on Voodoofly’s Summer Pasta.

But VF’s recipe wasn’t sufficiently lazy for me.

Vegetables from our garden and our local farm co-op. Carrots, courgettes, onion, tomatoes, aubergine, bell pepper and garlic.

Chop them all up, chuck in a baking dish, and toss with some Italian seasoning and neutral oil

Roast in the oven at 180C.

This is what it looked like after half an hour.

After another half hour, I chucked in two tins of tomatoes and some tomato purée, stirred about and cooked for another hour.

I cooked some spirali and tossed with the sauce.

CLOSE-UP

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Maerlyn posted:

I do want to try Plastic's recipe but it may not be during the game, I'm just so curious about the flavor.

Same here, maybe I'll make a half batch since I'm pretty sure Minifauxnen is going to be scared off by the cottage cheese and not help me eat it at all. :cheeky:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And dinner, where I did something along the lines of GenericGirlName's Porkchops & Applesauce

Pork loin
An apple
A lime
Whole grain mustard
Double cream
Brandy
Kale
Potatoes

I seasoned the pork loin with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and a couple of bay leaves, and vacuum sealed

This was sous vided at 55C for 4h

While this was going on, I very finely sliced apples and tossed in lime juice, then put in baking tray and baked at 150C for 40m, flipping halfway

When the pork came out, it was perfectly cooked (ignore what your mother told you, pork is great a little pink), but a little grey and boring looking on the outside

So I browned the loin portions all over. If you’re fancy like me, you’ll do so in lard you rendered yourself, but any high smoke point fat will do

I also boiled some potatoes, which I put through a ricer: advice for life, get a ricer. I riced the potatoes and mixed with tons of butter and a little double cream.

In the pan that I browned the pork, I fried some very finely chopped onion, a couple of tablespoons of wholegrain mustard, then added the secret ingredient: FIRE!

I also stir fried some kale in garlic and butter, but I didn’t take photos of this.

I put some kale in a chef’s ring:

Then some mashed potatoes:

The mustard cream sauce all round the plate:

Chef’s ring off!

Then the pork.

Then the apple crisps.

Delicious, slightly bitter kale, buttery delicious potatoes, tender pork, tart apple, creamy mustard sauce. It was great. A bit beige looking, but I’m British, so that’s OK.

And it achieved date-ness. And a couple of leftover creme brûlées for pudding, cookfia date night!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

once again not mine

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have been medically unable to eat anything for a week now, bad time for Cookfia, but this is the image that broke me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

It is now officially N3 Please get your night actions in within 24 hours.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

once again not mine

Where do you keep finding these and why have they shaken me to the core?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Grandicap posted:

Where do you keep finding these and why have they shaken me to the core?

I did look up "hot dog jello cake" because I'm very aware it exists but wasn't going to share, now though I feel I must (it literally made me cringe because it also included pickle juice).

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

once again not mine

The AUG thread is thataway...

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I mad Hal's Charlotte Royale. Or I attempted. I'm going to skip the steps to make the sponge, but make 2 thin sponge cakes, 1 rectangular, one circle.

Also make some filling. I went with blueberry jelly, and I have no idea why I didn't take pics of making it, but it doesn't look like I did. So here's the finished jelly. I took a quart of blueberries, some sugar and some orange juice, and cooked them down until the blueberries popped. Immersion blended the whole thing, cooled it a little added a packet of gelatin, then cooled it down.

After everything is cool, you spread your filling as evenly as possible on the rectangle sponge. Roll it up in parchment paper and let it set for a couple of hours. Then slice into 1 inch cylinders.

Also make mousse here or some sort of inside of the cake filling. No pics of this either apparently.
Then put your swiss roll pieces inside of a mixing bowl. get as good coverage as you can. Fill with your mousse, then top with your circular sponge.

Let set up in the fridge overnight, demold it and look on in horror as the whole thing just plops apart immediately.

But even though it looked sloppy as all sin, it was delicious, so it wasn't all bad.

I also made poor decisions with the color choices, it is too much brown on brown, and the dark purple didn't stand out at all. If I had done a vanilla sponge, the blueberry swirl would have looked nice and popped against the chocolate mousse. Live and learn, if I ever make this again, I'll consider it. I definitely needed the mousse much thicker to not plop immediately, I guess I would do that by adding some geletin maybe? Not sure, I'd have to do some research there if I wanted to pull this out for a party or something.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bifauxnen posted:

I wasn't sure I'd have time to cook today, but then I realised

I had all the ingredients I needed right on hand,

to make a quick summer pasta!

wow I might have to make this, that looks good

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Grandi it looks yummy but it is definitely not quite pretty enough. You’d absolutely be in trouble on Great British Bake-Off. I think you cut the Swiss roll too thick and you didn’t have enough pieces to fill the bowl. You really don’t want gaps. And yeah definitely need thicker mousse there

I’d still give it 19 points though

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Made pork stir fry, missed pictures of a couple steps (it's also nothing like Cpig's recipe, sorry...)

Pork tenderloin cut into small strips (this was really good, family raving about how tender it was):

Jump cut to finished product (after pork was done added pepper, zucchini, garlic and ginger powder and cashews, cook veggies down a bit then add sesame oil and soy sauce. Also added some cabbage/carrot mix but probably could have omitted it]

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I left out the spinach and sugar snap peas, the zucchini was a game time decision to add it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Toalpaz TOWN-aligned Toaly's grandma's Graham cracker log has been brutally murdered N3.

Ingredients:
1 can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk
2 cups of coloured marshmallows
1 cup of a variety of green and red maraschino cherries
2 cups of crushed graham crackers
2 cups of coconut flakes

Directions:
Sprinkle coconut evenly on a sheet of waxed paper. In a medium bowl, stir together marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs, condensed milk, and cherries. Shape into a log. Place on waxed paper and roll in coconut. Wrap with waxed paper and refrigerate until firm. (Or freeze it forever until ready for use.)

Toalpaz Toaly's grandma's Graham cracker log is worth 25 points.

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 20, 2021

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 4

Not Voting (5): Bifauxnen, Maerlyn, ObamaAkbar., Rhymes With Clue, Scientastic

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok folks I know there might be only one scum, or maybe some elaborate troll with no scum me in ahead there's some nightly modkill or something, but it is quite probably LYLO now all right

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok folks I know there might be only one scum, or maybe some elaborate troll with no scum me in ahead there's some nightly modkill or something, but it is quite probably LYLO now all right

Maf edit : "no scum in it, instead there's some nightly modkill or something", not sure what my phone did there but let's leave it so RWC can call it a scumslip or something

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

It's gotta be 2 scum. I thought RWC would have protected Toal with the talk about mace (I don't think he would have protected me, Bif or OA for sure) but maybe he was lying?

I think RWC is one but don't want to lay down a vote if I'm wrong just yet, I'll have to think about who the other scum is.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Let’s get this done

##shoot RWC

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Scientastic posted:

Let’s get this done

##shoot RWC

Why am I always persuaded to change my initial gut read? I’m guessing this is scum victory yeah?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Why am I always persuaded to change my initial gut read? I’m guessing this is scum victory yeah?

I got fed up with us executing town and decided to take action

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I appreciate it’s risky behaviour, but sometimes you have to do what feels right

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

What in the actual gently caress, lol

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Hmpf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Scum win. I'll do a proper flip and recipes in a bit.