Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think that may be because "The Game" is a diegetic term in the Highlander universe, iirc? So there's a lowercase-g game (the CCG) emulating the in-universe capital-G Game (immortals beheading each other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I think that may be because "The Game" is a diegetic term in the Highlander universe, iirc? So there's a lowercase-g game (the CCG) emulating the in-universe capital-G Game (immortals beheading each other).

Nope, it's called 'the Gathering', like juggalos.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

fool of sound posted:

or Magic!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah I half-remember that. But if that happens it’s just not a good sign.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leraika posted:

or Magic!

Or Babylon 5!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Eh still pretty lame

I didn't buy the Star Trek CCG so I could have some dick's interpretation of Picard.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Back in the 90s, my local shop was selling packs for like a dollar a pop or cheaper, but I could only ever get one character pack. I still have a pile of story cards though, so now with these character packs I could potentially get a game going. I'll post the character standees when I open them later.

Edit:

Arcadia had some interesting ideas and great visual design, but it stank in that basically you couldn't play through the full campaign without a full set.

It wasn't amazing, but it was at least trying to do something really different from the rest.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

fool of sound posted:

This is an incredibly unfortunate coincidence for the CCG.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"The Gathering" was the culmination of "the Game [of Immortals]" and I'm pretty sure this was established right in the first movie.

It's great because the climax of the original movie is the final fight of the Gathering, aka one immortal is left. They put a definitive cap on the story of the Immortals they just established.

Then everything after acknowledges that this final fight happened, I think they even talk about it in the series pilot, but they have to pretend that none of the movie happened in the context of the climactic Gathering because otherwise the series and sequel movies couldn't exist. (Except of course there's the second movie that acknowledges what actually happened in the first movie but Connor just like, hosed up his chance to create utopia, but then it turns out Immortals are psychically projected aliens or something, and then the retcon that no actually the second movie was all a nightmare dream prison and none of it happened.)

I love this terrible franchise.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

DalaranJ posted:

This is an incredibly unfortunate coincidence for the CCG.

Magic has an entire faction, the Rakdos guild, which is basically just juggalos and sadomasochism.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

That Old Tree posted:

"The Gathering" was the culmination of "the Game [of Immortals]" and I'm pretty sure this was established right in the first movie.

It's great because the climax of the original movie is the final fight of the Gathering, aka one immortal is left. They put a definitive cap on the story of the Immortals they just established.

Then everything after acknowledges that this final fight happened, I think they even talk about it in the series pilot, but they have to pretend that none of the movie happened in the context of the climactic Gathering because otherwise the series and sequel movies couldn't exist. (Except of course there's the second movie that acknowledges what actually happened in the first movie but Connor just like, hosed up his chance to create utopia, but then it turns out Immortals are psychically projected aliens or something, and then the retcon that no actually the second movie was all a nightmare dream prison and none of it happened.)

I love this terrible franchise.

I think the show's retcon specifically was that it was "a" Gathering, just not "the" Gathering which while a little doofy is a reasonably acceptable one

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got Wheel of Time, RIFTS, Mythos, and a different Illuminati! CCG packs/decks/cards lying around. Plus a sealed box of Jyhad boosters that I grabbed on clearance when the game store was getting rid of it as the new Vampire game was coming into stock.

I recall the RIFTs game came with one deck in this big like 8 1/2" x 11" folder thing, so me and my buddy each bought one of those and a couple of boosters and tried to play, and worked out pretty fast that we had not nearly invested enough to have a viable game. The next time I thought to look for cards for it in a store, it was gone.

Or I might be mis-remembering that last bit because a similar thing happened with the Wheel of Time CCG we also bought a little bit of.

That (late 90s) period of CCGs was very strange to me. All these copycats trying to recapture the magic of Magic, and almost none of them recognizing that they'd only have a shot if they made it the initial game experience very very good. Instead they thought "lol random packs, yes" and so every excited kid who dropped $15 on the game to try it was disappointed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's me, the one person whose first entry into BattleTech was the CCG.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dawgstar posted:

Somewhere I have a box of all the Shadowfist starter decks turned into functional decks that are great for casual play. There was true joy in playing the Architects of the Flesh and dropping a Neutron Bomb to wipe out all characters. That might be the best multiplayer CCG after Vampire.

As someone who's played a fair bit of both Shadowfist and V:TES, I feel that each game has their situation. Vampire is better if you have 5 players, three hours and can tolerate player elimination and strategic whining. Whereas, Shadowfist really shines at 3 players and I think is the best way to play either of these games. It is less about negotiation, but you can still find situations where you need to tactically assist your opponents. The issue is once you get to 4 players, the game can be as long as a V:TES game except there's no predator-prey action limitation to narrow the decision space.

They're definitely among the top of the heap as far as M:TG also-rans that I am aware of, though NISEI has my imagination now.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
To catch up on the 90s CCG chat, my collecting stuff has less to do with wanting to get the game played and more having the opportunity to investigate things that I thought were cool in the 90s that I never had a chance to. I have a lot of nostalgia rooted in that 90s tradgame scene and it's a fun thing to dip back into- today's cards are really slick and the art is very sophisticated, but my heart lies with that ropey 90s stuff.

Did anyone ever play the 7th Sea CCG? I remember that one as being a real hit with my friends and I, though we were also very into the RPG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Did anyone ever play the 7th Sea CCG? I remember that one as being a real hit with my friends and I, though we were also very into the RPG.

We did, for the same reason. I have fond memories of it that are probably far more about the company than the actual game itself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Duel Masters is still the best dead* TCG

*well dead in the West, it's still like the number two most successful card game over in Japan after Yugioh, which is why I figure it's only a matter of time before WOTC decides to try and revive it again in the West(especially as the kids who grew up with it are going to be in prime nostalgia market for it)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

drrockso20 posted:

Duel Masters is still the best dead* TCG

*well dead in the West, it's still like the number two most successful card game over in Japan after Yugioh, which is why I figure it's only a matter of time before WOTC decides to try and revive it again in the West(especially as the kids who grew up with it are going to be in prime nostalgia market for it)

didn't they do that with KAIJUDO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaijudo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Len posted:

didn't they do that with KAIJUDO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaijudo

They changed too many things for that to really count

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I see Shadowfist chat!

I got into Shadowfist and Feng Shui at around the same time, and while I never actually had a chance to play a game of Feng Shui, I played a fair amount of Shadowfist with my son and his friends, and collected a decent pile of cards. Seeing the earlier posts inspired me to pull out some boxes, I did a quick shuffle through to pick out a few key cards (and a bunch of random ones), which I included in this terrible picture:

(Didn't realize how bad it was till I put the cards away...)

I agree Shadowfist was probably best 3 player, though we had to play a lot of 2 player and usually one player would win fairly quickly. But sometimes you'd get a great game, I recall Kar Fai out against Gao Zhang for the battle that would determine the match, with Kar Fai winning it for the Dragons!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I admire Shadowfist for having a lot of cards that could swing the game back in somebody's favor. The aforementioned Architects' Neutron Bomb was one, but I also distinctly remember the Dragons' Golden Comeback turning the tide as well (sometimes these cards were played sequentially).

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Johnny Badhair there, I think he was one of the rarer cards in the expansion..

The issue with it, I think, was that there were certain cards that were just better than others so you'd always have them if you had managed to get them. Kinoshita House I think was an example. (Imagine a Maze of Ith that still generates mana.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Man, I'm going to have to search out my card boxes now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gameraMan posted:

I see Shadowfist chat!

I got into Shadowfist and Feng Shui at around the same time, and while I never actually had a chance to play a game of Feng Shui, I played a fair amount of Shadowfist with my son and his friends, and collected a decent pile of cards. Seeing the earlier posts inspired me to pull out some boxes, I did a quick shuffle through to pick out a few key cards (and a bunch of random ones), which I included in this terrible picture:

(Didn't realize how bad it was till I put the cards away...)

I agree Shadowfist was probably best 3 player, though we had to play a lot of 2 player and usually one player would win fairly quickly. But sometimes you'd get a great game, I recall Kar Fai out against Gao Zhang for the battle that would determine the match, with Kar Fai winning it for the Dragons!

some of those card names are incredible. "TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shadowfist was a cool game; I think I still have both my decks somewhere.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What are opinions regarding the Alien rpg and/or its Colonial Marines campaign book? I hear it works on a similar rules system to Tales From the Loop, which was easy to run. Is it fun?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Arivia posted:

Shadowfist is full of incredible/terrible names. Furious George, Orangotank, Titanium Johnson...

I played a loooot of 'Fist during and after college. One of many dead CCGs we picked up cheap, but one of the few that had staying power, and one of the even fewer that eventually came back to life (I think just that and Netrunner). Still have a lot of fondness for that game and Feng Shui.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Feng Shui Jammer names are indeed very good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Arivia posted:

There are lots of pun names too, but I honestly like the idiomatic descriptive names that aren't puns like:

Far Too Much Dynamite
Kick 'em When They're Down
Who's The Monkey Now?
Running Out Of Time
Burn, Baby, Burn!
"Trust Me, I've Got a Plan"
Safety Third! (Most Jammers are surprised it's that high on the list.)

Also, the best pun name is Mandrill Sergeant, fight me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In the Feng Shui RPG if you played a cyber-gorilla and didn't have a pun monkey name you got docked an experience point. Fortunately I immediately came up with McKilla Gorilla so it was fine.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Magnetic North posted:

Also, the best pun name is Mandrill Sergeant, fight me.
There are so many strong ones:

A Clockwork Orangutan
Big Macaque Attack
Koko Chanel
SAM Simian

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mon Quixote

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is there a good crunchy system for martial arts at the moment? Needs to be crunchier than Feng Shui. Panic at the Dojo would be great except it has no advancement.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Legends of the Wulin?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hyphz posted:

Is there a good crunchy system for martial arts at the moment? Needs to be crunchier than Feng Shui. Panic at the Dojo would be great except it has no advancement.

I have neither played nor even properly read any of these and in fact am entirely unqualified to offer any suggestions, but take a look at Fight! 2e, Art of Wuxia and/or Righteous Blood, Ruthless Blades.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

potatocubed posted:

Legends of the Wulin?

I've really wanted to try this but the book is insanely out-of-print and it seems like even buying the pdf would enrich Some Bad Dudes and not the actual writer from what I've heard.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Megazver posted:

I have neither played nor even properly read any of these and in fact am entirely unqualified to offer any suggestions, but take a look at Fight! 2e, Art of Wuxia and/or Righteous Blood, Ruthless Blades.

Oh, Fight! is a great choice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dawgstar posted:

In the Feng Shui RPG if you played a cyber-gorilla and didn't have a pun monkey name you got docked an experience point. Fortunately I immediately came up with McKilla Gorilla so it was fine.

I had Mighty Carl Young (Team Heavy Weapons and Psychotherapy)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My GM came up with James Bonobo, cybernetic ape in a tux, and I can never equal that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No one's done Lancelot Zinc?