Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

I'm really looking forward to the next Life is Strange in September but even I must admit it would be better as a 2D sidescrolling beatemup.

Maybe one of these days we can get a game trend like battle royale where every franchise is like ok everyone, beat-em-ups are the it thing, we need to turn our IP into the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I'm really looking forward to the next Life is Strange in September but even I must admit it would be better as a 2D sidescrolling beatemup.

Every game would be. Come on, Katamari Damacy, give me what I want.

Royal rainbow!
*absolutely wrecks every enemy onscreen*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Shiva with more jumps, more speed and lightning specials/heavies is absolutely hilarious. Touch floor? Disgusting, I'm offended.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

JBP posted:

Shiva […] is absolutely hilarious.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JBP posted:

Shiva with more jumps, more speed and lightning specials/heavies is absolutely hilarious. Touch floor? Disgusting, I'm offended.

SOR4 Shiva is really good in co-op as well because you can take all of the heavy elementals and leave the blitz elementals to your partner.

Also the powerup that sacrifices your jump is still okay for him because while the jump is nerfed 99% of the time, if you jump right after his standing combo your jump is a normal jump to continue into an air combo (doesn't work with his throw launch into air combo however.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody noticed that you sometimes get phantom apples when picking stuff off the ground after a stage clear in survival mode? As in, there's no graphical display but the game acts like you just got a health pickup. I'm trying to figure out what causes it, or if it's just a glitch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

Has anybody noticed that you sometimes get phantom apples when picking stuff off the ground after a stage clear in survival mode? As in, there's no graphical display but the game acts like you just got a health pickup. I'm trying to figure out what causes it, or if it's just a glitch.

Containers spawn at set points in a level, sometimes multiple times in the same place, and the apples are occluded by whatever you are trying to pick up. I think in the event of overlap health items are prioritised.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I’m not talking about when health items overlap, I’m saying that sometimes just spamming B while walking around I will get a phantom apple pickup.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure if I could find it again but I saw a video a few days ago with a moving apple. It was in the changeroom part of Y Tower and the apple kept moving downwards towards the bottom of the screen until the player couldn't pick it up anymore.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got to level 32 in survival and it was four Shivas. It got to the point where the screen kept freezing every half second because each Shiva kept doing the spirit clone thing constantly for several minutes.

I died. Eventually.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This week's survival is pretty great. I got to 24, 3 Ms Y's, with SoR 1 Blaze thanks to the focus on heavy attacks and jumping attacks. It also doesn't ever seem to put you on the spot and force a less than good upgrade.

Her alt. special, the Drill Kick is neat even if the animation is sort of ridiculous. They made that one up wholesale didn't they?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This week's survival is pretty great. I got to 24, 3 Ms Y's, with SoR 1 Blaze thanks to the focus on heavy attacks and jumping attacks. It also doesn't ever seem to put you on the spot and force a less than good upgrade.

Her alt. special, the Drill Kick is neat even if the animation is sort of ridiculous. They made that one up wholesale didn't they?

I keep getting done at 24-26 with six stars left and I never loving learn.

E: just did it again :shepicide:

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 16, 2021

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Mmm. It'd probably look better with SOR1 Blaze clone rolling jump sprites https://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis_32x_scd/sor1/sheet/36079/, but they just used her default sprites.https://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis_32x_scd/sor1/sheet/12464/

It's just an SOR1 version of Skate's Corkscrew Kick, so it's not like it's ridiculous in intent.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SoR Adam got me to 25, I don't think he's necessarily better than his Blaze counter-part but I think I just knew what I was doing a bit better. I'll try Axel soon to get his unlock.

This doesn't have crossplay does it? Like if I want to do co-op with someone, I'd be better off trying to organize it on the Switch discord I figure?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm going to miss this week's Survival, it had such great upgrades per stage. I haven't gotten past stage 25 yet, that was with SoR2 Blaze (I'm doing all the casts in order), but for a laugh I went with Vampiric and Glass Cannon, which actually kept me healed pretty well, until I stopped hitting people. This was with Axel2, who has pretty poor range I find and mobility so I'll try this out with Max now.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Just got to 30 spamming Cherry's alt. Blitz, thanks for the suggestion. Invuln start-up, evasive and AFAIK seems to be fully covered by its hitbox.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got to level 29 on Skate3 before choking. I was so close. This week's survival is pretty good.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Agreed re the spread of powerups, but gently caress level 33 - I've dies on it solo and in co-op about a dozen times now, and for some reason can't get past even the first wave of enemies. I think that there's some sort of massive enemy scaling increase at this stage because 2-3 light hits seems to basically finish me off.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

Agreed re the spread of powerups, but gently caress level 33 - I've dies on it solo and in co-op about a dozen times now, and for some reason can't get past even the first wave of enemies. I think that there's some sort of massive enemy scaling increase at this stage because 2-3 light hits seems to basically finish me off.

Yes, level 33 is where enemies suddenly get a huge damage increase.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The 30s are definitely where you need to have the health restore boon to survive because there are so many enemies on the ground and so few health pickups that you won't even be able to eat an apple before getting yeeted across the screen by biker ladies.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The 30s are definitely where you need to have the health restore boon to survive because there are so many enemies on the ground and so few health pickups that you won't even be able to eat an apple before getting yeeted across the screen by biker ladies.

This is a suspiciously accurate description to getting close to the 40's irl

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hit a new record on the weekly sim, pretty fair progression this week. Finally ate it to a flying robot pipe that instantly deleted half my health bar. :argh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was 45 your personal best or is the game just saying 45 is the

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Every level past floor 33 is just hoping you don't get wombo comboed by dark Ms. Ys or juggled to death on the american gladiator tileset.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I did it! I beat level 30 and got up to 33 with Shiva3.

I took Dark Dash to test it out, wasn't thrilled at first but wow. It took me far. Also Vampiric touch is 100% necessary at one point and very useful.

I don't remember what killed me though. What's with the red dudes? Just stronger versions?

All I got left to fully upgrade is the SoR 4 cast, so I'll get started on that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I did it! I beat level 30 and got up to 33 with Shiva3.

I took Dark Dash to test it out, wasn't thrilled at first but wow. It took me far. Also Vampiric touch is 100% necessary at one point and very useful.

I don't remember what killed me though. What's with the red dudes? Just stronger versions?

All I got left to fully upgrade is the SoR 4 cast, so I'll get started on that.

Red outline dudes are stronger in terms of their health and also I think damage dealt, but they also have top tier a.i.and have all of the combined tricks of the tiers below them of the same enemies. So a red outline fat guy will be able to breathe fire AND leap AND roll. They also move much faster and have less of a delay between being in position to attack and doing so. Certain enemies of certain tiers or above will also gain armour on certain attacks or on standup.

What I'd really love to know is how to beat a crowd of 6 of those loving robot dudes with the toxic buster swords. Not being able to even make them flinch is a huge problem.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Breetai posted:

What I'd really love to know is how to beat a crowd of 6 of those loving robot dudes with the toxic buster swords. Not being able to even make them flinch is a huge problem.

Star moves and blitz through them while they windup

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah a strong advancing move like a blitz or some forward specials will cross them up.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The weekly survival seed is insane this time around: you'll have all three elements in blitz and heavy by level 10.

Also, gently caress Bongo. I can never beat him without losing a ton of health and stars. How can you counter his crazy armour flame rush when he uses it constantly?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Breetai posted:

The weekly survival seed is insane this time around: you'll have all three elements in blitz and heavy by level 10.

:captainpop:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Breetai posted:

Also, gently caress Bongo. I can never beat him without losing a ton of health and stars. How can you counter his crazy armour flame rush when he uses it constantly?

It's so good. Bongo I managed to keep down chaining elementals off the mooks, also just dodge his fire by moving up or down.

That said it's a hard seed, a lot less healing is available I find.

I'm finally upgrading the SoR4 cast and getting their alt moves, and oh man they do play so much more smoothly than the other versions, obviously, but it feels like I'm taking of weights and going whole hog. I wrapped up Axel and started with Blaze, and I love playing her so much, she's probably still my favorite character.

I realized that throws and grabs never get upgraded, probably because they're strong enough, but it would've been cool to get elemental throws and poo poo. Probably too broken.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm finally upgrading the SoR4 cast and getting their alt moves, and oh man they do play so much more smoothly than the other versions, obviously, but it feels like I'm taking of weights and going whole hog. I wrapped up Axel and started with Blaze, and I love playing her so much, she's probably still my favorite character.

I realized that throws and grabs never get upgraded, probably because they're strong enough, but it would've been cool to get elemental throws and poo poo. Probably too broken.

Max's alternative star move affects all of his basic moves for a while including throws, and paired with the power up that applies all your elements to your star moves is hilarious.

Also Shiva's alternate blitz is really good as it can chain into combos when targeting distant enemies and can even hit people coming out of his b+P throw.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Cherry's alt blitz is loving nuts. Long range, evasive and great hitbox

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It'd be cool if there were an elemental throw rune since a lot of characters are more reliant on them than their heavy melee or specials.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

It'd be cool if there were an elemental throw rune since a lot of characters are more reliant on them than their heavy melee or specials.

Maybe just implement it for grappling characters much like sor 1 characters get elemental backfists and jumpkicks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think the game will get anymore updates will it? If we ask enough maybe they'll add elemental throws?

Anyway, I've gotten good mileage out of Blaze's alt Blitz.

I also need to get braver and use more specials, I need to break that hold on myself and just go for it. How'd do you all manage to stop worrying and learn to love the Special?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't think the game will get anymore updates will it? If we ask enough maybe they'll add elemental throws?

Anyway, I've gotten good mileage out of Blaze's alt Blitz.

I also need to get braver and use more specials, I need to break that hold on myself and just go for it. How'd do you all manage to stop worrying and learn to love the Special?

Force yourself to do it, knowing that it's a low-stakes game and it doesn't ruin anybody's day if you lose. Then you'll have that "ahh, demolishing enemies with specials means not getting hit as much, so the health loss is less risky" moment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Using specials in survival mode, or just the general philosophy of when to use them? Survival incentivizes spamming specials to a level that you normally can't get away with in level select, especially between the Bloodthirst + Old School combo. For general usage, you just have to think about specials as staggering the damage that you WOULD have otherwise taken by doing nothing, or the enemies that WOULD still be on the field hitting you if you didn't kill them outright. Don't hesitate to chain 2 or 3 specials together if it will mean you avoid getting hit, and have a gameplan for what you're going to do after to refund your health. Remember: Dead enemies can't hit back!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah just need to get over "BUT MY HEALTH", that freezes me up each time I want to use it. I'm getting hit anyway you know?

Shine posted:

Force yourself to do it, knowing that it's a low-stakes game and it doesn't ruin anybody's day if you lose. Then you'll have that "ahh, demolishing enemies with specials means not getting hit as much, so the health loss is less risky" moment.

Yeah I need to just hit that button more. It's a weird mental block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is a mostly useless protip, but breaking boxes with a heavy melee or blitz attack refunds more health than you'd get from just punching them open!