Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

All the Persona games are coming to Switch, except 1 because no one should be subjected to Persona 1 in the 21st century.

There's a rerun of the SMT If manga apparently. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it was nothing, as expected.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1439790791598088196

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
We were expecting so little, and it was still a letdown. The symphonic concert might at least be a good listen if they're streaming the whole thing as they should be. (plague)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

What a garbage announcement, wow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Woo, persona anime! 3/4 of the persona animes are trash but woo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Where do the Japanese stream their anime anyway

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
This is so lame. I know it's a meme at this point, but it's like Atlus doesn't want to make money.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Groshlak posted:

This is so lame. I know it's a meme at this point, but it's like Atlus doesn't want to make money.

lol. Atlus. The kings of nickel-and-diming people to death over every little thing.

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

HaB posted:

lol. Atlus. The kings of nickel-and-diming people to death over every little thing.

Maybe so, but why no Persona 5 on PC? People have been asking for this for ages. Persona 4 sold well over expectations IIRC?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Spiffster posted:

Well that’s awkward, just installed P1 on my new vita (after a night on the store going “hah no you can’t download this”)

I can see why it’s not looked at as fondly though. First two hours of gameplay have been a bit of a confusing mess. However I have never once felt like I was in over my head and ran into a slaughter.

P1 is good, actually.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Atlus seems to primarily focus on the Japanese domestic market and PC gaming still isn't really a thing over there. Their general reaction to the Persona series' recent overseas popularity is "huh, that's cool I guess".

That and there's probably moneyhatting by Sony involved (iirc Sony did the localization work for P5)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sapozhnik posted:

(iirc Sony did the localization work for P5)

I've never heard this before and doubt it's true.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They already said they're going to be dragging these announcements out over a year was there a specific reason people thought this was going to be the huge one

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Probably mainly just that starting the anniversary announcement series with a nothingburger, especially when when that's the announcement for the actual anniversary, seems pretty weird. But other than that, there's no reason to think this was gonna be huge, no.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Again, my money is on a potential P6 announcement being the very last thing on the list.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
very excited for an orchestra version of the memento theme

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
P5 Royale with Cheese edition.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Legitimately the most important change made in all of Persona 5 Royal is making more than one music track play in Mementos

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sapozhnik posted:

Atlus seems to primarily focus on the Japanese domestic market and PC gaming still isn't really a thing over there. Their general reaction to the Persona series' recent overseas popularity is "huh, that's cool I guess".

That and there's probably moneyhatting by Sony involved (iirc Sony did the localization work for P5)

Okay, but I'll totally buy P4G on the Switch.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Okay, but I'll totally buy P4G on the Switch.

Username checks out. :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Blockhouse posted:

They already said they're going to be dragging these announcements out over a year was there a specific reason people thought this was going to be the huge one

people really really want persona games on switch and xbox and pc and that has turned into there being rumors that was happening, but as best i can tell from trying to actually check these rumors out its just people going "I want this to happen and i think it will"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The first time I realized Makoto’s VA was in Deathloop there me for a loop (pun intended). I know she’s everywhere but for some reason the absolute lunacy of her character in that game contrasted with Makoto is funny; the only thing they have in common is that they’re 18 year old girls.

Although now I kinda want to see Makoto with that perfect high ponytail

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy poo poo that's her? I immediately recognized her voice in the Final Fantasy Origin trailer but totally did not clock that she was the VA for Fia.

There's an audio log where she's recording voice lines for a game in the game and doing a hilariously bad job of it... So meta

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cherami Leigh has pretty good range, yeah. She was also Mae in Shadows of Valentia and Rhea in FE Three Houses, who are fairly distinct from each other.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As a Fairy Tail fan, I was super excited to have Cherami Leigh in a Persona game.

Then she voiced Makoto. Disappoint. I remember when this game came out somebody on here was very critical of her performance, said it lacked passion or spirit or something. I mean..it kinda did but I figured that was just Makoto.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Cherami Leigh has pretty good range, yeah. She was also Mae in Shadows of Valentia and Rhea in FE Three Houses, who are fairly distinct from each other.

I had also just heard her voice in SoV which is why it was fresh in my head, that character is much more in line with what I’ve heard her in before. I also learned that she was the female MC voice in Cyberpunk, which I played but picked the male character so I never actually heard her voice. Looking at it on YT that one has her in an entirely different register, probably because she’s playing an actual adult.

NikkolasKing posted:

As a Fairy Tail fan, I was super excited to have Cherami Leigh in a Persona game.

Then she voiced Makoto. Disappoint. I remember when this game came out somebody on here was very critical of her performance, said it lacked passion or spirit or something. I mean..it kinda did but I figured that was just Makoto.

She gives a good performance in P5R, her face turn wouldn’t have nearly as much meaning if she didn’t sell Makoto as both very principled and also very impulsive, like a weird little teen cop. It’s not her fault Makoto’s social link sucks. She’s also good in Strikers, she gets a lot of fun things to do in that game. It also doesn’t help that you spend the most time in P5 with two of the best VA performances in the game (Ann and Ryuji)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm playing Persona 5 for the first time and have a question for the thread since googling P5 questions is a spoiler minefield: what is the mechanic that determines the cash you receive via negotiations? It seems really swingy, my best guess is your first x captures are boosted, plus maybe a bonus if you have that persona in your roster at the time, is that it?

Also if anyone has some non-spoiler 'things I wish I knew' tips I'd appreciate it. I'm at the second palace and just got stopped by the peacock door chamber, and I'm grinding out encounters before I leave for reference.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 22, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Are you playing the original Persona 5 or Persona 5 Royal?

Try to get a Sandman with Pulinpa, Confuse Boost and maybe a high Luck stat before getting too far into Mementos. Confusing the minibosses is your main way of grinding for cash in the base game and your initial way of getting cash before you can max out the money boost in P5R.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was watching the Story of Seasons LP on TheStrawHatNO's channel and thanks to Youtube recommendations I saw they're doing a P5R playthrough as well. I only played Strikers and know absolutely nothing about the original game so I figured I'd watch, since they're a really fun group. But I have to ask something because it's bugging the hell out of me.

It's established when the Phantom Thieves are running from the mind controlled townspeople in Okinawa that they can't do Phantom Thief stuff in the real world, since Zenkichi suggests that as a method of escape. So I'm completely lost how the cops were able to arrest and apprehend Joker from the cognitive world. Is this ever explained?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Love that this was an announcement ultimately for an announcement in December.

Pretty sure this isn't even the first time that's happened, either.

ApplesandOranges posted:

She was Olga in Ys 8 which took me a while to realise, because that's the most different I've ever heard her sound.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was watching the Story of Seasons LP on TheStrawHatNO's channel and thanks to Youtube recommendations I saw they're doing a P5R playthrough as well. I only played Strikers and know absolutely nothing about the original game so I figured I'd watch, since they're a really fun group. But I have to ask something because it's bugging the hell out of me.

It's established when the Phantom Thieves are running from the mind controlled townspeople in Okinawa that they can't do Phantom Thief stuff in the real world, since Zenkichi suggests that as a method of escape. So I'm completely lost how the cops were able to arrest and apprehend Joker from the cognitive world. Is this ever explained?
Yes, the game does eventually explain that.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

anakha posted:

Are you playing the original Persona 5 or Persona 5 Royal?

Try to get a Sandman with Pulinpa, Confuse Boost and maybe a high Luck stat before getting too far into Mementos. Confusing the minibosses is your main way of grinding for cash in the base game and your initial way of getting cash before you can max out the money boost in P5R.

Just basic P5.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yup, Sandman's gonna be a Mementos mainstay in your party then.

In addition - there are special weather conditions that will appear periodically in the real world that impact the Metaverse. Flu season would be the best for grinding levels in Mementos.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, the game does eventually explain that.

Okay, good. I know it's a weird thing to get hung up on but it's just because Strikers explicitly addresses that issue, if I hadn't played it I wouldn't care. :v: That said I've already see two characters who weren't in Strikers so I'm interested to see who they are and what's up with them (well okay, I already know who one of them is from watching a few cutscenes from Q2, but the other is a complete mystery).

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Just got through the 4th palace again, and man that music is chill as hell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sojiro... Thank you

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strikers had the team being complete pros at infiltration and thievery so it's kind of fun to see them just starting out and having no idea what they're doing.

I was also surprised at how fast P5 throws you into the combat and dungeon exploration. If I recall it was like three or four hours before you got into a fight in P4 (aside from the opening dream sequence) and you couldn't even freely run around in a dungeon for another hour or so after that.

Also I gotta say I'm a fan of Sojiro telling the MC every single night "Don't forget, you're on probation and if you mess up your life is over!" as well as Kamoshida going "Ha ha you're all expelled, your lives are over!" and then actually no wait that's not for two weeks. Maybe Japanese schools work differently? I think here at least the principal can just go "Yep you're expelled" and that's that. Even so it's still odd that the MC was already told "If you do anything wrong you're out on your rear end" so theoretically even ignoring Ryuji and Mishima, Kamoshida should be able to just tell the principal "Hey he threatened me" and that would be enough to get him expelled right away. I know the game has to have some reason why it's not immediate since you can't necessarily do the Palace in one go, but it still sticks out as weird to me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

Strikers had the team being complete pros at infiltration and thievery so it's kind of fun to see them just starting out and having no idea what they're doing.

I was also surprised at how fast P5 throws you into the combat and dungeon exploration. If I recall it was like three or four hours before you got into a fight in P4 (aside from the opening dream sequence) and you couldn't even freely run around in a dungeon for another hour or so after that.

Also I gotta say I'm a fan of Sojiro telling the MC every single night "Don't forget, you're on probation and if you mess up your life is over!" as well as Kamoshida going "Ha ha you're all expelled, your lives are over!" and then actually no wait that's not for two weeks. Maybe Japanese schools work differently? I think here at least the principal can just go "Yep you're expelled" and that's that. Even so it's still odd that the MC was already told "If you do anything wrong you're out on your rear end" so theoretically even ignoring Ryuji and Mishima, Kamoshida should be able to just tell the principal "Hey he threatened me" and that would be enough to get him expelled right away. I know the game has to have some reason why it's not immediate since you can't necessarily do the Palace in one go, but it still sticks out as weird to me.

Kamoshida enjoys the sadistic pleasure of holding your expulsion over your head and watching you squirm, he also doesn't feel at all threatened by you so he doesn't intend to actually report you until the next faculty meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kamoshida enjoys the sadistic pleasure of holding your expulsion over your head and watching you squirm, he also doesn't feel at all threatened by you so he doesn't intend to actually report you until the next faculty meeting.

That and he’s still trying to goad you into taking a swing at him so he can give Ren the same treatment he did Ryuji.