Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jaytan posted:

I don’t believe any allegations of misconduct have been offered for Mr Hazzokostas, but I will take this opportunity to point out prior to him joining Blizzard he was a member of Elitist Jerks which started as an offshoot of the beta Goon Squad guild. It’s full circle y’all.

goons ruin everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cythereal posted:

They're allowing mods for single player. Can't play multiplayer with mods.

Which might as well be no mods period, imo.

Beyond really simple stuff, I can't see the huge stuff like Median XL or Path of Diablo going through all the trouble of porting it over to D2R when you'll never be able to use it to play online.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't see how California law can unfuck Activision Blizzard. How many people need to go to prison? What does it take for a company like this to be forcefully liquidated in such a thorough way that it can't just come back with the same culture and business practices but under a different name?

Hopefully someone somehow grafts the new controller functionality onto the old game so I can finally play D2 again with my busted rear end hands.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What are the player numbers like on WC3 reforged? did it ever recover from gutting their custom games and constant crashes?

I don't know what they are like now or what they were like at the start but from personal experience I'm not sure Reforged ever took off. When the hype was still there (in the first few days of release) I tried multiple times to get UMS games going on Battle.net and it was an impossible exercise. Just about every game you joined or created would kick you back to the menu, which I think was a case of a map broken by the Reforged update. But even playing the maps included with Warcraft - like Skibi, for example - the lag was insane. In the end, I don't think I played a single custom map, and between that and the dire state of the rest of it, I dropped and refunded it. I can't imagine it ever recovered at all.

Dreylad posted:

Brood War reads like there were 14 writers, 5 who had recently watched Starship Troopers.

As best as I can tell, Phinney was responsible for the "script and story" of the original Starcraft. The only credited writer on Brood War is Metzen himself. Comparing Starcraft to Sacrifice, I feel like it's safe to assume that Phinney was responsible for a lot of the more mythological/grandiose moments in the writing, whether it's the Overmind or the Protoss or Mengsk's speeches. When I played through the two games when the remaster game out, it really was quite striking how things changed between the original and Brood War.

That's not to say that Starcraft's writing was perfect. I think I had a conversation with Lt Danger on these forums a few years ago where the original can't even agree on some basic aspects of the setting (how many planets in the Confederacy, where the planets are located, etc.) and how some elements of the first game arise from it being written as they went (The Overmind creates his ultimate anti-Protoss warrior... and then leaves her on Char for some reason. Because Infested Kerrigan was seemingly a late development.)

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 18, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It takes less than you would expect for an overall corporate culture to change, unfortunately the change is usually negative-- either as people who are harassed leave and harassers see a safe haven of a company to be at, or as the finance vultures swoop in and gut the company overall.

There will always be "Blizzard" as IP but I honestly don't know how much longer they'll exist as a proper studio, especially given the "lovely releases, lovely PR, poor internal morale for many reasons" death spiral they appear to be in from the outside. They won't die for lack of players per se, but with how many game support plugs they yanked out before the lawsuit dropped despite fairly active playerbases for ostensibly "underperforming", I wouldn't be surprised if some Activision C-levels are eyeing the "cannibalize and eject" button. Doubly so given that Bliz seemed to go all-in on trying to monetize esports but the rest of ABK is making megabucks off the mobile market that Blizzard's still not even got a single entry for.

(The fact that they massively flubbed the PR for their singular attempt at entering into it and have had it sitting in the wings unreleased for 3 years running probably isn't making the important shareholders happy, either, especially with the largest planned market for that game cracking down on allowed game duration for kids, and all Bliz's games are online-only so....oops.)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Not to mention Blizz are pinning all their hopes on Diablo 4 of all things, a franchise that's been dead since the early 2010's when upper management decided the game (Diablo 3) was done just as the big problems had been ironed out and it had a hugely successful launch on consoles.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problem (as far as the suits cared about it) wasn't ironed out, specifically "they couldn't figure out how to micromonetize it after the RMAH was removed", which is why they pivoted into mobile for the sequel

unfortunately the "pivot" involved stepping on rusty nail and also slamming their face into a wall, and the handling of Diablo Immortal/Diablo 4 compared to Fallout Shelter/Fallout 4 has probably been the subject of marketing presentations as "what to do"/"what not to do" ever since

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BisbyWorl posted:

Which might as well be no mods period, imo.

Beyond really simple stuff, I can't see the huge stuff like Median XL or Path of Diablo going through all the trouble of porting it over to D2R when you'll never be able to use it to play online.

I very much doubt they will.

Median XL in particular is basically operating its own version of the d2 executable with a bunch of QOL features and support for modern day resolutions

blizzard meanwhile, stubbornly refuses to support any ultra-wide screen monitor resolutions because "they don't want people with those monitors to have a competitive advantage in multiplayer"

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I kinda respect the honesty. I've had so many recruiters blow smoke up my rear end (entirely different industry) that I'd be pretty happy if one were to just lay out expectations bluntly - good or bad - and let me make a decision to move forward. Let's not talk about ownership or passion, let's not talk about creativity or work/life balance. Tell me what the pay is, what's expected of me, what the metrics are, let me meet the group I'd be working with to understand team dynamics and let's go from there.

Edit: At the same time, the recruiter almost certainly said that because they will get dinged if they have too many new hires that quit within X months for any reason, and it's easier to just say "Hey, we interviewed, bad fit/they've seen the news/whatever, let's move on."

Yeah, this is a sign of a good recruiter. They should lay out realistic expectations in the hopes you stay there. You're the product for a recruiter, and if they have to reassign you it's more time and effort spent. Good fits are in their best interest.

Also, gently caress anyone who sugar-coats Blizz at the his point.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I think Blizzard have said that mods that modify the executable will not work/be banned for "security", even in single player, so that excludes all the interesting mods (Median, PD2, Plugy) right off the bat. The reason those mods work that way is that D2 doesn't have an official modding framework similar to what you get in XCOM 2, and Blizzard haven't mentioned anything about creating such a framework for D2R. The "mod support" they've said they actually have is that you can change various numbers in the game via ini files, and probably also change various textures/assets by replacing some files. Unless they have a modding framework they're not talking about, I would expect modding for D2R to be very limited.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Jaytan posted:

I don’t believe any allegations of misconduct have been offered for Mr Hazzokostas, but I will take this opportunity to point out prior to him joining Blizzard he was a member of Elitist Jerks which started as an offshoot of the beta Goon Squad guild. It’s full circle y’all.

Lol short history fun.

Dextor and myself formed Hooligan Syndicate as we split off from goon squad because we wanted to have a guild with more “serious” raiding type folks. Goon Squad called us elitist jerks. So we called ourselves that as a joke and away we went!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

tithin posted:

I very much doubt they will.

Median XL in particular is basically operating its own version of the d2 executable with a bunch of QOL features and support for modern day resolutions

blizzard meanwhile, stubbornly refuses to support any ultra-wide screen monitor resolutions because "they don't want people with those monitors to have a competitive advantage in multiplayer"

I've heard of Median XL before. If you're looking to just play through Diablo 2 single-player (which is what I'm doing), can you run it with just the QoL and high resolution stuff, or do you have to also play with the new custom content? I ask because I still need to strike Diablo 2 and LoD off my backlog, but the only options to play it are in fullscreen or in a window (and the default window mode is small and doesn't play cinematics).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

I've heard of Median XL before. If you're looking to just play through Diablo 2 single-player (which is what I'm doing), can you run it with just the QoL and high resolution stuff, or do you have to also play with the new custom content? I ask because I still need to strike Diablo 2 and LoD off my backlog, but the only options to play it are in fullscreen or in a window (and the default window mode is small and doesn't play cinematics).

Just get the hires mod for d2. It doesn't make it like super high res, but running it even in like 1600x900 is a big improvement. I'd also suggest the mod plugy for the qol stuff if you still want the generally vanilla experience.

Median XL is cool but it's like 80% an entirely new game built on the back of the d2 story and engine.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
'Funny' story: right after I made that previous post, I decided to go ahead and download Median XL to give it a shot. 3/4ths of the way through downloading it, the power goes out. Once it finally comes back on, I try to uninstall the mod, then reinstall it, but the internet service hadn't been restored yet, so I couldn't download the mod files. I just booted up D2 a couple of minutes ago, and I realized that in installing the mod, I wiped my character save (a Sorceress). I had only made it to the start of Act 2, but that means I've got to run through Act 1 again. :sigh:.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Just get the hires mod for d2. It doesn't make it like super high res, but running it even in like 1600x900 is a big improvement. I'd also suggest the mod plugy for the qol stuff if you still want the generally vanilla experience.

Median XL is cool but it's like 80% an entirely new game built on the back of the d2 story and engine.

I'll try the hires mod and PlugY, then try Median XL later.

Question: what's the difference between a regular character and an expansion character?

EDIT: The Hi-Res patch wasn't working right, so I just uninstalled the whole game. Will try doing a fresh install later to see if I have better luck.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 19, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Just a few days until d2r comes out and conspicuously we have seen literally nothing from after act 2. Starting to get a bit alarmed

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Just a few days until d2r comes out and conspicuously we have seen literally nothing from after act 2. Starting to get a bit alarmed

Isn't the expansion supposed to be in, too? Act 5 had plenty of "oh drat" places, you'd figure they'd want to show those off. I can understand not showing off act 3,(who liked act 3, those little blowdart assholes were the worst) but 4's bleak and grey
take on hell and 5's snowy mountain slowly turning into a fiery version of hell are cool and people have good feelings about them.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sec-is-investigating-activision-blizzard-over-workplace-practices-disclosures-11632165080

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1440032380564099075

I hate to keep retweeting this dude here. He's a huge rear end in a top hat to indie devs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
That's a new investigation, to be clear, separate from the other two big ones currently running against them.

Grondoth posted:

Isn't the expansion supposed to be in, too? Act 5 had plenty of "oh drat" places, you'd figure they'd want to show those off. I can understand not showing off act 3,(who liked act 3, those little blowdart assholes were the worst) but 4's bleak and grey
take on hell and 5's snowy mountain slowly turning into a fiery version of hell are cool and people have good feelings about them.

Yeah that's my understanding. I imagine they are naturally busy as hell, but we've seen literally nothing of it. The act 1/2 stuff did look good, but it was getting basically full AAA resources thrown at it since it was literally the main D4 team working on it.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 20, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Grondoth posted:

Isn't the expansion supposed to be in, too?

Yes, its’s the whole package and the devs have said they’re “not ruling out new content”, whatever that means.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Imagine releasing an expansion so bad that the domino effect brings down not only Blizzard but also Activision

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ErrEff posted:

Yes, its’s the whole package and the devs have said they’re “not ruling out new content”, whatever that means.

Buy a hat for your Grizzly summon!!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For non-Americans, the SEC investigating is very bad news for Blizzard. The Securities and Exchange Commission being involved means that they have reason to believe that Blizzard's been loving with investors' money, and that is something this particular federal agency takes very seriously. And they have a lot more teeth than the NLRB (the previous federal investigation).

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I don't know what they are like now or what they were like at the start but from personal experience I'm not sure Reforged ever took off. When the hype was still there (in the first few days of release) I tried multiple times to get UMS games going on Battle.net and it was an impossible exercise. Just about every game you joined or created would kick you back to the menu, which I think was a case of a map broken by the Reforged update. But even playing the maps included with Warcraft - like Skibi, for example - the lag was insane. In the end, I don't think I played a single custom map, and between that and the dire state of the rest of it, I dropped and refunded it. I can't imagine it ever recovered at all.

It's incredibly sad, I still occasionally played customs and one discord channel I hang out in was pumped for a bunch of new blood to show up with Reforged. The tools and maps have only continued getting crazier and cooler with time, even though the number of people actually playing them dropped like a stone.

Then Reforged actually came out and, welp.

The scene is still fairly active, but of course now there's a rift between maps made for Reforged and maps that can't be played in Reforged. There are still ways of getting the pre-Reforged version and I'm pretty sure there are still maps being developed with that in mind, even. The death of WC3 is a blip compared to all the actual harassment at the company, but it's insane how they managed to not only release a bad game but kill a classic in the process.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reforged absolutely obliterated the 15 or so people that I knew that still did WC3 maps. Just utterly gutted an entire community of people that basically worked for Blizzard for free.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ErrEff posted:

A Sylvanus Windrunner skin for your Amazon, only $12.99

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

webmeister posted:

A Sylvanus Windrunner skin for your Amazon, only $12.99

For a brief second absent of context, my mind jumped to the delivery service instead of the game and the idea of "paying extra to have your doordash driver show up in cosplay" seemed like an inevitable eventual step in gig economy hellworld

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Can anyone post the whole text of the article? The SEC investing ABK is VERY big news, and very bad news for ABK.

The board needs to fire Kotick if this is the case.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lazy Fair posted:

Can anyone post the whole text of the article? The SEC investing ABK is VERY big news, and very bad news for ABK.

NY Times article w/no paywall: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/20/business/activision-blizzard-sec-investigation.html

e: it's barebones

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There's an Ars writeup too but it's like 10% "now the SEC is involved" and 90% "what's happened so far" by volume, so I don't suspect there's much meat to the WSJ article itself that isn't already addressed in the OP-- just the SEC announcing they're investigating it and ABK confirming that they're "cooperating with the investigation".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lazy Fair posted:

They've subponeaed Kotick. Firing Kotick at this point would be inadvisable, legally speaking. :v:

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Existing charges of destruction of evidence from CA, and an investigation by the SEC is not a good combination.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Blizzard's chief legal officer has resigned.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder if her desk has several forehead-shaped indentations after several dozen "you did what" meetings over the last couple months

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I wonder if her desk has several forehead-shaped indentations after several dozen "you did what" meetings over the last couple months

If it's anywhere like the places I've worked it's "I've directed you all to destroy evidence, now I'm getting out."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was this the war crimes lover?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

lol, lmao

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This person's job description was global legal functions, global data protection and the business division in Asia.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Was this the war crimes lover?

Possibly, but Fran Townsend is still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

sharknado slashfic posted:

Imagine releasing an expansion so bad that the domino effect brings down not only Blizzard but also Activision

i think as long as activision can keep making GBS threads out a call of duty every year they're probably safe, although a lot of their secondary concerns (including, uh, all of blizzard) are likely to bite it in the interim

ErrEff posted:

This person's job description was global legal functions, global data protection and the business division in Asia.

even so i can't imagine "worked in the legal department of a company during Legal Fuckup Jamboree Supreme" looks good on her resume, so it makes sense to pull the emergency parachute and gtfo