Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

what makes corruption so good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

paying 3 energy for more than 3 energy (late game, often MUCH more) worth of skills.

This lets you take giant turns, defend while setting up / attacking, etc. Any small fight should be over before or as you run out of stuff. In a boss fight, having nothing but attacks left may let you finish it within a turn or two. Otherwise, you may have to play Corruption on the second draw rather than the first.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You can play skills for free, allowing you to go hard on attacks and win the fight. In longer fights, you so gotta consider if you have enough damage to win before you're skill-less and exposed, but basically any hallway fight and the latter half of a hard elite fight is made loads easier by playing it. Also great synergy with Feel no Pain, Dark Embrace, and certain relics, such as Dead Branch. Corruption with Dead Branch is one of those "annnnnd you just win the run" combos 90% of the time.

Think of it like you do Biased Cog on Defect. Yeah, there's a possibility of going into negative focus with it, but that's only if whatever you're fighting can survive an orb onslaught before then, which most enemies won't.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Plus it works with exhaust synergies and block synergies. Corruption and Dead Branch is essentially an instant win condition. You would pretty much have to be trying to lose at that point. Corruption and Feel No Pain is block for a thousand and hit for a hundred. It makes Dark Embrace better, it makes Charon's Ashes better, it makes Barricade better. It's absolutely one of the most broken powers in the game, and it works on every character if you get it through Prismatic Shard or an event. There's a reason it went from being an uncommon to a rare.

If you're struggling with Ironclad, find a seed with Corruption and see how well you do.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok I see. I always felt like it made regular fights a piece of cake but hurt me on boss fights (bye bye blocks), but I probably just played it too early. Thanks for the tips.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Ironclad, I'm begging you. Watch your feet.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

While in free fall you consider your options:
>Abandon Run
>Abandon Run
>Abandon Run

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

[gently caress This poo poo] Ragequit

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Unlucky. But Immolate usually falls off in act 3. That's probably the way to go. I hope you have another answer for Repto!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Deckit posted:

good lord.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If Immolate is your only major source of damage, Battle Trance.

If Battle Trance is your only major source of card draw, Immolate.

The answer is never Feel No Pain unless you have 3 of them.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Deckit posted:

Battle trance - space out mid air. Break your ankles

Feel no pain - fall on neck, paralyzed

Immolate - poo poo jets of hot fire, fly back out of hole

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yoshi Wins posted:

Unlucky. But Immolate usually falls off in act 3. That's probably the way to go. I hope you have another answer for Repto!

I ended up taking out the Battle Trance+. I did end up fighting Repto but I was hurting on scaling and damage. I lost it at the 2nd boss.

eonblue174 posted:

Battle trance - space out mid air. Break your ankles

Feel no pain - fall on neck, paralyzed

Immolate - poo poo jets of hot fire, fly back out of hole

lmao

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Got my first Silent win :toot:

My main cause of death in the past had been group fights, and I wasn't getting any die die dies so I was getting desperate and grabbed a corpse explosion which I had overlooked in the past.

That thing turned out to be a beast. Wiped out the triple black slime fights, took a huge chunk out of the goblin master and wiped his minions, just smoothed out those fights I'd struggled with before.

Final battle was with Dona and Decu, and I was thinking no way is the game going to let the boss be a valid target. Boom. 240 damage straight into a vulnerable Dona. Game over instantly.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Corpse explosion is insanely good, yes

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Congrats! CE is a fun and powerful card. It stacks too. If you play it twice on an enemy, when it dies all other enemies will receive damage equal to double its max hp.

I think you're saying that Donu had vulnerability applied when it got hit with the Corpse Explosion damage, so just to clarify, vuln has no effect on CE damage. Vuln only multiplies attack damage.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

aaaaand that's an A20 heart kill with each character.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Yoshi Wins posted:

Congrats! CE is a fun and powerful card. It stacks too. If you play it twice on an enemy, when it dies all other enemies will receive damage equal to double its max hp.

TIL

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Yoshi Wins posted:

I think you're saying that Donu had vulnerability applied when it got hit with the Corpse Explosion damage, so just to clarify, vuln has no effect on CE damage. Vuln only multiplies attack damage.

Great, thanks! Donu got killed in one hit regardless but it's handy to know in future.

My moment of clarity came when I realised I could ignore the poison and just pair it with an alpha strike. I had two backstabs that run, so going CE, BS, BS was generally a board clearer or else left a very easy clean-up afterwards.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Jedit posted:

That was a seeded run. If you want to do something similar yourself, there's a list of all the mined Pandora seeds (including five with eight Meteor Strikes) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A3oW0tgInXa3h5azNoES4PQsTy-VdLFvDmn_CIUrbJE/edit#gid=0

Thanks for the link, I did a run with 8 Claws just to try out that plan. It was fairly easy, obviously, but fun. And I got to discover the interaction between Biased Cognition and Clockwork Souvenir, which I'll have to keep in mind for future runs.

I also took another attempt at defeating the heart (on A1) with the Watcher. Built a reasonably good deck powered by a bottled Deva Form and a few other powers, still couldn't generate enough block to survive turn 3 against the heart. But I had no trouble with the sword and shield, so I'll count this as progress. :toot: Next time!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel like they could really do better on chucking out some of the bad daily runs. The worst feeling ones to me are always extra copies of a card that actively doesn’t want extra copies and that’s exactly what today is.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ok I got a chance now to really try out Snecko Eye with the right deck and I see what you guys meant. At the end of Act 2 I had three 3-cost cards and a LOT of 2s, and Act 1 I had picked Black Blood (over Runic Dome and Tiny House), so I was very energy-starved and of course I got offered Snecko Eye.

Well the deck was already pretty drat strong (double Jug with the plated armour relic? Hell yeah), I had gone through Act 2 without much trouble, but between Snecko and more good relics Act 3 was a total joke. I perfected all hallway fights including elites and took a total of 6 damage from the Awakened One and 16 from Spear and Shield, meaning I started the Heart fight at max health - 2, and easily got my first IC heart kill.

Corruption actually was a late pick and I only used it once, sadly. Then again I had zero Exhaust synergy.

Speaking of which, why don't I see Perfect bonuses in the score screen? I'm 100% sure I took no damage in a LOT of fights, notably the Repto, and yes I mean zero damage before Black Blood healing. And I had no self-damage cards either.

Nevermind, I looked it up, Perfect is for bosses, Champion for elites.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 19, 2021

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For Silent, what are the cards/relics to get/avoid for the "perfect" Shiv and "perfect" Poison decks?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Perfect poison deck: Any 3~ cards that say poison on them, 1-3 Catalyst+ (or use Nightmare to make dupes). The only underwhelming poison card is Envenom, which is more of a splash take for Shiv decks than a core poison deck option. Noxious Fumes is generally good but with the obvious caveat that it's slower tempo (but also AoE, so that's nice). Beyond that, there's little optimizations like some kind of retain effect for the Catalysts, some way to stall while you get set up (ie, Apparitions or Wraith Form). Weirdly the actual poison relics are just kind of whatever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 19, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Don't sleep on the poison relics. Snecko skull and even the funnel acan be very useful.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Bug Squash posted:

Great, thanks! Donu got killed in one hit regardless but it's handy to know in future.

My moment of clarity came when I realised I could ignore the poison and just pair it with an alpha strike. I had two backstabs that run, so going CE, BS, BS was generally a board clearer or else left a very easy clean-up afterwards.

Fyi corpse explosion is a separate debuff to poison. Corpse explosion doesn't run out, so once you see the lil icon for it you know that enemy will blow up at death

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, Snecko Skull doubles Fumes which really helps speed it up.

Shiv is shivs. Blade Dance, Cloak and Dagger, After Image, Accuracy. Envenom and Thousand Cuts can be traps or they can be great. Same with Thousand Blades actually. Wrist Blade and Vajra make it really pop, and you get into completely broken territory if you get Kunai, Shuriken or Ornamental Fan. Dead Branch can also be a trap because you might end up with a bunch of trash. Shivs also don't play well with Pyramid.

Shivs are the easiest build to stay on 3 energy the whole run since they're cheap.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Don't sleep on the poison relics. Snecko skull and even the funnel acan be very useful.

I don't mean to say the relics are bad, just that they tend to be a bit variable in their potency. I'm never mad to see a Snecko Skull when I'm running poison, but if I'm not using Fumes or Flask to get poo poo done it's just a nice bonus rather than a huge boon. Also assuming a "perfect" poison deck the relative value goes down a bit further.

Though also I can't even really speak to the Specimen because it has the uncanny ability to only show up when I'm pointedly not using poison at all. :argh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont really like snecko eye, but thats usually because by the time I'm offered it my deck is either really good and consistent in which case why take the risk of a bad turn, or I have so much energy generation it doesn't matter.

Swapping into it at the beginning is incredible though.

My shiv builds are pretty much all combination shiv/discard builds. Because you just can't play enough shivs with one hand and one turns worth of energy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Walla posted:

Yeah, Snecko Skull doubles Fumes which really helps speed it up.

It doesn't double it, it just adds one. That's effectively a free upgrade though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jedit posted:

It doesn't double it, it just adds one. That's effectively a free upgrade though.

Yeah, Snecko Skull adds +1 poison to every instance of poison. So if you play a card that adds 7 poison all at once, skull makes it 8 total. But a card like Bouncing Flask will get an addition 1 poison per bounce (as each bounce is a separate instance of poison), which is a nice upgrade.

Skull is fun in a shiv/Envenom deck. Blade Dance/+ adds 6/8 poison :swoon:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
If you wrath on a phantasmal killer turn, do you get quadruple damage?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

eonblue174 posted:

If you wrath on a phantasmal killer turn, do you get quadruple damage?

Yes.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

And if you then Pen Nib that, you get octuple damage :getin:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

After being stuck on A19 with Silent for a long time, finally got carried by Dead Branch + two Backstabs, a Dramatic Entrance, and the Apparition event. Feels good man.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

No, no, no, no, no, no, no

Whew. :unsmith:

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Demon form it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Demon Form is so good it's honestly kind of scary, especially when you can raise up your energy above 3 so you can do things besides using it on a turn

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Demon Form is one of the weaker Ironclad cards, imo. It requires commitment to use since its expensive and takes several turns (sometimes many turns if you aren't building a deck around it) to be worth it, and doesn't scale as quickly or effectively as many other ironclad builds, and it really requires you to have a decent block engine going on top of it.

It gets a lot better once you get an upgraded limit break, but even then its still a super slow way to scale damage - entrench and blockade are a for more reliable way to quickly cap out your damage per attack, even if it is only for the one attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's nice because it gives infinite scaling for only one card pick. Solves Champ and still super good for the other Act 2 and 3 bosses. In crucial fights you can usually use a potion to get it played, an energy, skill, memory block or sneko potion often let you get it out without getting slapped too hard. And in hallway fights you can just ignore it, or if you have a reaper and some good block you can scale infinitely and heal to full. I pick it fairly often in Act 2 but I usually only play at A15 so maybe that's why.