Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
piloting a cessna with my $7200 3d printed eva cockpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways sagebrush is here so do you think i should be okay with a half-off deal on the logitech yoke so i can fly cessnas into trees, or should i tier up. this is an occasional pasttime and i dont wanna go too hard on it but i also don't want super plasticky crap

the logitech yoke is okay. it's actually one of the saitek products they just rebranded when they bought the company, and saitek stuff was always a little more plasticky (the yoke is) and game-y. there's nothing wrong with it really, but it annoys me because it only turns 45 degrees to each side and a real one turns 90.

i concur with what other people in the thread have been saying. get an xbox controller if it's gonna be casual, or a thrustmaster t.16000 (which is a nice stick) if you want a flight-specific controller. the planes in fs2020 use a mix of yokes and sticks so it doesn't really matter that your controller matches the plane unless you are a really huge sperglord.

that said, if you really want a yoke and the 45 degree thing doesn't bother you (i expect most people wouldn't even know that's a thing unless they'd sat in a real plane), the logitech one does what it says on the box and works fine. the throttle quadrant is also perfectly fine. half off, 80 bucks for both? i'd say that's a good deal.

if you want to really tier up, the honeycomb yoke is what everybody buys, but that's a serious jump in cost.

i built my own yoke with accurate travel, 90 degrees in each direction and 8 inches in and out, and a real handle from a cessna 150 on it, but i am insane.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol do you have a thread on that? i didn't really catch that one. amazing

thanks for your thoughts. i will ponder and wrestle and let you know what i end up open palm slamming buy on

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the logitech yoke is okay. it's actually one of the saitek products they just rebranded when they bought the company, and saitek stuff was always a little more plasticky (the yoke is) and game-y. there's nothing wrong with it really, but it annoys me because it only turns 45 degrees to each side and a real one turns 90.

i concur with what other people in the thread have been saying. get an xbox controller if it's gonna be casual, or a thrustmaster t.16000 (which is a nice stick) if you want a flight-specific controller. the planes in fs2020 use a mix of yokes and sticks so it doesn't really matter that your controller matches the plane unless you are a really huge sperglord.

that said, if you really want a yoke and the 45 degree thing doesn't bother you (i expect most people wouldn't even know that's a thing unless they'd sat in a real plane), the logitech one does what it says on the box and works fine. the throttle quadrant is also perfectly fine. half off, 80 bucks for both? i'd say that's a good deal.

if you want to really tier up, the honeycomb yoke is what everybody buys, but that's a serious jump in cost.

i built my own yoke with accurate travel, 90 degrees in each direction and 8 inches in and out, and a real handle from a cessna 150 on it, but i am insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdJVajCCFE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the yoke/stick thing does make me laugh when i think of somebody doing some absolutely dork Sydney to LA flight in fs2020 and running a stick setup and yelling about bogies and diving lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
HotAss

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2xJBGsAtE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i didn't make a thread on it but i posted a few pics in the airplane-related threads.

here are both the yoke and throttle together (the gunk on the yoke handle is some sort of incredible glue i'm gradually scraping off)

here are solidworks models of them both

some features:

- yoke handle is real molded bakelite from cessna 150
- yoke tension is adjustable (uses internal bungee cords)
- yoke uses a repurposed linear encoder grating tape from an industrial printer for the pitch axis
- throttle, mixture and prop levers have working friction adjusters
- flap lever has accurately scaled detents
- trim wheel turns 1080 degrees for fine adjustments
- landing gear lever locks up and down and has to be pulled out to move, as in a real plane
- key switch has off/L mag/R mag/both mag/start positions, with spring return on the start, using entirely 3d printed parts including 3d printed leaf spring (i think i am more proud of that than any other part)

it was my project for the first two months of lockdown.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

looks like we got ourselves some sort of Bubba HOTAS

i appreciate this reference

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

insanely sick

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I could get all that poo poo off the yoke for you lol

looks like someone tried but smeared it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I could get all that poo poo off the yoke for you lol

looks like someone tried but smeared it

it's either polyurethane glue or epoxy and it's the remnants from holding on one of these pads they added to later versions of the c150/152.

at this point it has to be delicately carved off with a hobby knife without damaging the underlying material

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

i didn't make a thread on it but i posted a few pics in the airplane-related threads.

here are both the yoke and throttle together (the gunk on the yoke handle is some sort of incredible glue i'm gradually scraping off)

some features:

- yoke handle is real molded bakelite from cessna 150
- yoke tension is adjustable (uses internal bungee cords)
- yoke uses a repurposed linear encoder grating tape from an industrial printer for the pitch axis
- throttle, mixture and prop levers have working friction adjusters
- flap lever has accurately scaled detents
- trim wheel turns 1080 degrees for fine adjustments
- landing gear lever locks up and down and has to be pulled out to move, as in a real plane
- key switch has off/L mag/R mag/both mag/start positions, with spring return on the start, using entirely 3d printed parts including 3d printed leaf spring (i think i am more proud of that than any other part)

it was my project for the first two months of lockdown.

can you post with it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuckin' spectacular. nicely done

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

iat this point it has to be delicately carved off with a hobby knife without damaging the underlying material

if it's real bakelite like you say, don't go near it with anything that can "carve it off"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sucks I'm so far away I'll have that sticky poo poo off in 2 or 3 afternoons of work

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I used to have a little workshop in the garage for that type of thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sagebrush that is awesome

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I used to be able to have hobbies lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sagebrush posted:

someone cummed on your yoke brah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the cockpits are accurately rendered but that isn't how the HUD or RIO TID display work.

abigserve posted:

someone cummed on your yoke brah

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Sorry to interrupt the Real Sim Peripheral Talk, but Deltarune Chapter 2 was very :3:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

undertale is a thing people still dig? I figured it would have disappeared from the collective internet consciousness by now kinda like how no one thinks about homestuck anymore

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

undertale is a thing people still dig? I figured it would have disappeared from the collective internet consciousness by now kinda like how no one thinks about homestuck anymore

has hardly aged badly (not sure how that'd be possible), so presumably there are still people playing it for the first time.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MrQueasy posted:

looks like we got ourselves some sort of Bubba HOTAS

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

has hardly aged badly (not sure how that'd be possible), so presumably there are still people playing it for the first time.
i tried it recently for the first time when it came to ps+ or psnow or w/e for about an hour and i'm not sure what the fuss is about

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

i tried it recently for the first time when it came to ps+ or psnow or w/e for about an hour and i'm not sure what the fuss is about

It's a cute rpg that gets more interesting as you get further in. It has a few gimmicks like characters that know when you've reloaded a save, a charming artstyle and good music.

I'm not sure why it hit as big as it did when it came out but it's a decent game. Not amazingly life-changing, but worth a playthrough

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

the very start is kind of weak tbqh, most people who have played it will no doubt remember it as good because it is contextualized a bit later, but i too bounced off it once. if you've gotten out of snowdin and don't like it you won't like it though.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Undertale generated a lot of buzz when people played it first as a demo. Because it was way shorter, it showed off the gimmick (meta screwiness and remembering your past actions through saves) much sooner and people dug it. Then in the full game you get to experience the gamut of colorful characters and genuinely funny moments.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i played it years later without having read anything about it (needing to restart when i realized that pacifist is the game any normal person should play), and the meta and save stuff does not make the list of why i like it. really fun characters, an excellent imitation of the fundamental warmth seen in e.g. earthbound, a great soundtrack, and light rpg mechanics that i don't entirely hate.

also short, which is key for me.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Somewhat related, is anyone checking out Eastward? A friend of mine is streaming it to me and it's pretty charming. It wears it's Earthbound influence on its sleeve, with a coat of Miyazaki paint on it, but with the gameplay of a 2D Zelda.

e: links

https://eastwardgame.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV8iBUN5Edg

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i saw that in my queue and it did look very pretty and fun, but i'm not sure if it can hold my interest as tightly as games of that genre used to. i am kind-of-sort-of waiting for venice 2089. maybe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a cute rpg that gets more interesting as you get further in. It has a few gimmicks like characters that know when you've reloaded a save, a charming artstyle and good music.

I'm not sure why it hit as big as it did when it came out but it's a decent game. Not amazingly life-changing, but worth a playthrough

It's a very good modern play on the mother series.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god

Control with ray tracing

oh my god

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

right lol

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
metro exodus with RT is worth a look too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
is metro exodus good/fun

is it close enough to STALKER that i will enjoy it?

speaking of, here's a stalker stand-alone mod called anomaly that looks real cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
it's much more linear and simple than stalker, basically three mini open worlds connected by a bunch of linear levels. there are some immersive sim elements like weapon crafting which are fun. combat is like a battlefield game but with scarce ammo.