Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have a Pro I'm not using, I just thought a stick might be more convenient, but I have no experience with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

does the thread have any opinions on getting a roku or amazon stick?
Roku and Amazon sticks are dirt cheap when on sale, the new white Chromecast costs more at $50 but it's a real Android TV thing with a remote, nothing like the old Chromecasts

Roku Stick
Cheap stick is gone, now the only stick is the $50 4K stick ($40 on sale), but there's still the $30 Express which is as small as a stick but still plugs in with a cable and uses an infrared remote
-Dead simple easy interface
-The most video apps (calls them channels) bar none, universal search across all apps installed is like a built-in justwatch.com so you can see "hey that movie is free on hulu/netflix/hbo/local cable on demand app so I don't have to spend money renting it"
-Even has your local cable company app
-There have been some disputes between roku and the big companies so apps like youtube tv went missing, some cable company apps went missing, hbo max came to roku later than apple tv and amazon fire sticks
-Twitch is gone for good since amazon owns it *has a fake twitch clone that's a hassle
-Has shortcut buttons to Netflix/Hulu/whatever for your parents and old people
-Has voice remote, collects and sells all your data

Amazon Stick
On sale more often than Roku, they're giving these away, $40 regular, $50 4K, older models (some repackaged as "lite) on clearance sale for $22 on up
-Basically an android tv stick but forked by amazon to shove ads for DA BOYZ in your face and show amazon's stuff first, so if you search it will show you the show or movie on amazon prime or for purchase from amazon first before it shows you that it's on netflix or at all
-Works with antenna tv if you buy their recording box, good for your parents and old people
-Does not have your local cable company app
-Does not have google play movies but lol who uses that
-Has Twitch
-Has shortcut buttons to Netflix/Hulu/whatever for your parents and old people on the new models

Google Chromecast White
$50
-Just an android tv thing so same as amazon but doesn't show you all the amazon stuff first
-Universal search is surprisingly bad for something from google (maybe they've improved this?)
-Does not have your local cable company app
-Does have google play movies but lol who uses that
-Has Twitch.tv

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

If you have the extra cash, a used ps4 or xbone or a piss cheap PC is leaps and bounds better than anything else.

If you don't have money, Chromecast.

Then roku.

Then fire stick (the worst).
PCs are missing a lot of streaming apps and a bad interface unless you think using a mini wireless keyboard mouse thing to navigate websites is a good interface, and the console streaming apps are often bad, dunno why, they have plenty of power, but the companies frequently put lower effort into them. Like even companies owned by Sony have worse PS4/5 apps than they do Roku apps, and the cheap Rokus have less processing power than the playstation controller.

Chromecasts are actually the more expensive option now that they are android tv dongles instead of whatever they used to be.

The Fire stick interfaces are much better than they used to be since they updated them to something much closer to stock android tv but yeah they're still shoving AMAZON AMAZON WATCH DA BOYZ in your face

Rinkles posted:

I have a Pro I'm not using, I just thought a stick might be more convenient, but I have no experience with them.
Just use your PS4 Pro unless there's a streaming app that it doesn't have.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 21, 2021

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I used chromecast for a long time now, my preferred out of the bunch since you can stream from practically any website via chrome browser's Cast menu option, at a pinch even VLC can stream to Chromecast altho you won't get subs unless you hardcode them into the video file yourself

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

You can still watch Twitch on Roku but you have to activate the app on a PC first. It's called Twoku and I use it occasionally.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I have an Apple TV 4K (gen 1) I got a few years back and it's always treated me well, although I don't really use anything except Plex/Youtube. I haven't had any performance issues until Plex released their new beta "modern" interface, it's a bit laggy unless I close any apps that were left on in the background. I imagine the gen 2 with the better processor would take care of that issue, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The United States posted:

Just use your PS4 Pro unless there's a streaming app that it doesn't have.

the thing is so sluggish lately. once a game or app loads, it's fine (except for the fan noise during gameplay), but the OS is sooo slow. if I had a spare ssd i'd put it in there. maybe i should reformat it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

the thing is so sluggish lately. once a game or app loads, it's fine (except for the fan noise during gameplay), but the OS is sooo slow. if I had a spare ssd i'd put it in there. maybe i should reformat it.

Definitely try to wipe the drive before throwing an SSD in. But if you plan to use it at all as a media device over the next few years, it’s worth throwing an SSD in IMO. Super easy as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Definitely try to wipe the drive before throwing an SSD in. But if you plan to use it at all as a media device over the next few years, it’s worth throwing an SSD in IMO. Super easy as well.

yeah just don't feel like investing in it. technically everything works, but like half my library is essentially unplayable because of how load it gets (i'm not exaggerating, and i don't like wearing headphones for long). maybe if i find a really good deal on 500GB+ drives.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

yeah just don't feel like investing in it. technically everything works, but like half my library is essentially unplayable because of how load it gets (i'm not exaggerating, and i don't like wearing headphones for long). maybe if i find a really good deal on 500GB+ drives.

Yeah I put a 500GB in but due to some sort of fuckery with the transfer, it ended up only being around 350-ish GB so if I was doing it again, I'd go for 750GB+. I don't think I'm gonna bother at this stage though, although I might wipe it to see if I can get back the rest of the drive.

Media apps and the UI respond far quicker than the stock HDD. It's a decent media player, I think every app I use is on it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cathode Ray Television In A Cabinet
-Knob dial that goes up to 13
-Does have a channel 2 setting on the knob dial to play super mario kart
-Snazzy cabinet makes television look cool
-weighs 100 pounds
-No streaming service connectivity

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

-Works with the Nintendo Zapper

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1439966578435493888?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

was praying this wans't some NFT poo poo, thank god it wasn't

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

It shouldn't be loud if it's just running media apps but if it is for some reason either clean out the dust or just buy the $30 streaming stick.

It's not worth investing in even a cheap SSD to upgrade it just for launching one or two media apps BUT if you end up with some hand-me-down SSDs from a computer or two go ahead and put one in, even the slowest SSD is faster than the PS4's laptop spinning platter HD.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Endless Trash posted:

-weighs 100 pounds

You forgot the best part. It has the best and most entertaining "show" of all time! Because when you shut it off, you get to watch the screen light shrink quickly into a tiny dot and then you watch the dot slowly fade away.

Five stars would watch again

-

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Oh my god :psyduck:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'boss, i'm not sure this is going to work...'

'zoom in! zoom in more!'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM3hsVrBMA4

Ooh baby

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

The centre of the Venn diagram of The Lighthouse and The Green Knight. Nice.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm intrigued.

btw for anyone who hasn't see it, Patrick Stewart's 2010 MacBeth is very good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm just happy to see Denzel in something not directed by Antoine Fuqua

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Mac and Me 2: The Tragedy of Macbeth

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Guys, I had a fever dream and there was a Boss Baby 2 movie, so glad that I'm awake now. :ohdear:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Macb3th: Resurrections

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Strabo4 posted:

I have an Apple TV 4K (gen 1) I got a few years back and it's always treated me well, although I don't really use anything except Plex/Youtube. I haven't had any performance issues until Plex released their new beta "modern" interface, it's a bit laggy unless I close any apps that were left on in the background. I imagine the gen 2 with the better processor would take care of that issue, though.

AppleTV is very clearly the answer here. Also, it has an ethernet port so you can plug it in and not have to worry about it fighting with the 20 other devices on your wifi.

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Get Out still has one of the best tense moments in film.

When that cop car pulls up the entire audience sharply inhaled and you could hear a loving pin drop in that theater.

This is also the best moment of tension-relief ever, when the door opens and it says "Airport Security". My opening-week theater exploded in applause.

Space Kablooey posted:

i`m impressed that the shat is literally 90 years old yet he looks better than mike

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: We made fun of Shatner's wig for decades, but now he look 30 years younger because he has been consistent with it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My body is ready

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Meagles posted:

Macb3th: Resurrections

*7 years later*

MacDuff: Origins

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
to watch or not to watch - that is the question;
whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous content
or to take arms against a sea of garbage
and by not watching end them. to post - to tweet,
some more; and by tweet we say we send
our heart-ache and the thousand natural jokes
that goons are heir to: 'tis a consummation
devoutly to be wish'd

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Endless Trash posted:

-weighs 100 pounds

why did our parent's generation build little houses for their tvs

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

PostNouveau posted:

*7 years later*

MacDuff: Origins

I personally can't wait for the Cruella-style prequel movie that shows us how the three witches met at witch school

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I have a Fire TV Cube and I’ve been happy with it. Looks good, supports HDR, and the menus are quick.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:swoon: :fap:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Endless Star Wars: Trash

Endless reinterpretation of the same 4 plays by a dead gay guy: High Art

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bust Rodd posted:

Endless Star Wars: Trash

Endless reinterpretation of the same 4 plays by a dead gay guy: High Art
unironically yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The United States posted:

unironically yes

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Mozi posted:

to watch or not to watch - that is the question;
whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous content
or to take arms against a sea of garbage
and by not watching end them. to post - to tweet,
some more; and by tweet we say we send
our heart-ache and the thousand natural jokes
that goons are heir to: 'tis a consummation
devoutly to be wish'd

Hearing this is John "Geteven" DaHart's voice

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I'm glad A24 exists

A hard R Macbeth in black and white starring Denzel? Sure why not

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'm just happy to see Denzel in something not directed by Antoine Fuqua

I watched the first Equalizer and all I remember is being somehow very bored

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

do not under any circumstances watch the second one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah as a huge Denzel fan that movie just felt instantly dated when it came out, like it was released like 10 years after it would have been good.

I also saw The Little Things in my brother’s recommendation, and Jesus Christ what a lovely movie. It just feels like someone takes all of Denzel’s movies and shakes them up in a big shoebox and picks out the pieces “we want you to talk like Man on Fire, but fight like Training Day, but be spooky and weird like in the time travel CIA movie…” and it just comes out as a mess