Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

"start thinking about what you want to do, because you might want to do a software engineering degree rather than computer science"
haha gently caress
dont make me make decisions this important for my future
please god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

hbag posted:

"start thinking about what you want to do, because you might want to do a software engineering degree rather than computer science"
haha gently caress
dont make me make decisions this important for my future
please god

Yeah, why are you taking compsci instead of software engineering?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Armitag3 posted:

Yeah, why are you taking compsci instead of software engineering?

idfk
apparently i can switch at the end of the year if i want though so its all good
i got time to think

(i will proceed to not think and instead freak the gently caress out like 3 days before)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife got the L L Bean bug and bought me a bunch of flannel shirts and I am horny as gently caress for cold weather. I do not give a gently caress, jeans + a flannel shirt + chukka boots are good to ~30 F or so.

Flannels are the greatest shirts know to man.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

so uhh
one of my lecturers from last year came up to me after the lecture and called the code i wrote for one of my assignments last year "genius"

but... i loving suck at python
so im assuming she got the wrong person since my name sounds similar to someone else's in that class

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hbag posted:

so uhh
one of my lecturers from last year came up to me after the lecture and called the code i wrote for one of my assignments last year "genius"

so im assuming she got the wrong person since my name sounds similar to someone else's in that class

maybe she was talking about your probe avatar thing

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

maybe she was talking about your probe avatar thing

lol
no that's even worse
my magnum opus is the fyad flag tracker

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hbag posted:

lol
no that's even worse
my magnum opus is the fyad flag tracker

the most popular software i ever wrote was the original blockchain & bitcoin implementation

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

the most popular software i ever wrote was the original blockchain & bitcoin implementation

Hitler how could you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

we got him, folks. satoshi was a yosposter all along

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mods pls namechange to shitposti nakamoto

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

so uhh

just gracefully accept the compliment.i am sure your code is garbage in a broader sense, but whew, you may not have seen enough first year student code previously to know what that usually looks like. and that absolutely goes for those that have programmed before too.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just gracefully accept the compliment.i am sure your code is garbage in a broader sense, but whew, you may not have seen enough first year student code previously to know what that usually looks like. and that absolutely goes for those that have programmed before too.

Yeah hbag just wait til you have to do a group project.

I had people in my CS classes who barely knew how to operate a computer.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shoeberto posted:

I had someone ask me how to print out stuff in java in a junior college level course once.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The senior projects were the best though. We had someone create a website using entirely already existing frameworks and someone else who worked on a machine learning project to determine the best locations for hospitals in the city.

Half the locations were in the middle of rivers. :thumbsup:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The senior projects were the best though. We had someone create a website using entirely already existing frameworks and someone else who worked on a machine learning project to determine the best locations for hospitals in the city.

they were right, american hospitals deserve a biblical flood

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My big senior project involved my team mates coming over to my apartment and us all getting super baked, watching youtube, and ultimately me writing all of the code when I had time. The project didn't work at all. Still got an A on it because the documentation and design were solid. So it was basically like working in SV.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: sitting in a traffic jam because a displayport cable i have is 10cm short for the new desk setup

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that’s cool how the first person was completely prepared for a career as a dev

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hbag posted:

lecturer just mentioned having a "5-year plan" and i cant stop making cruelty squad jokes in my head
CEO GRINDSET
WAKE UP EARLY
INVEST
HAVE A 5-YEAR PLAN
TRAVERSE THE GRID OF DEATH

i just think of soviet russia lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: walked past 10 people queue for vaccine booth at the mall. progress, i guess

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cls: walked past 10 people queue for vaccine booth at the mall. progress, i guess

Back of the line buddy sheesh

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got home and that modified casio F-91W i ordered last night arrived
its got a fuckin RFID or NCS or whatever (i forgot which) chip inside it with 128 bytes of storage
might clone my uni ID to it so i dont have to lean in with my lanyard when i want to open doors

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PIZZA.BAT posted:

cjs: welp. i’ve been given a team in bangalore to manage so it’s back to waking up before the sun, again. gently caress it’s been five years since i had to do this last. i didn’t miss it at all

:morning:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Both options should be suck them off

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

that’s cool how the first person was completely prepared for a career as a dev

I'm 90% sure their project was just stolen from someone's github page.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm 90% sure their project was just stolen from someone's github page.

even more real world experience then

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Armitag3 posted:

Back of the line buddy sheesh

lol

jokes on you, ive had my second jab in may

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I got mine in January :smugdog:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fortaleza posted:

Switched to amberpos as autumn is nigh upon us

im proud of u, son

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

I got mine in January :smugdog:

we know you’re old

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

shoeberto posted:

"Software Engineering" was a two-term course in my degree and most students took both during sophomore year. I had a problem with my schedule, so I didn't get around to the second one until senior year. When the professor told us to split into groups and elect a group leader, everybody else in the group (including the 65-year-old) turned to me, the most experienced student, who said, "gently caress no!" and elected the guy who wasn't there that day.

Ultimately, I had to beg the professor to look at my copy of the final project code and not the leader's, because his was out of date and broken and he wasn't responding to my desperate emails.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we know you’re old

I’m 35 years young

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

CPColin posted:

"Software Engineering" was a two-term course in my degree and most students took both during sophomore year. I had a problem with my schedule, so I didn't get around to the second one until senior year. When the professor told us to split into groups and elect a group leader, everybody else in the group (including the 65-year-old) turned to me, the most experienced student, who said, "gently caress no!" and elected the guy who wasn't there that day.

Ultimately, I had to beg the professor to look at my copy of the final project code and not the leader's, because his was out of date and broken and he wasn't responding to my desperate emails.

its both sad and funny that you have been like this your whole life lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

Switched to amberpos as autumn is nigh upon us

the correct pos

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I feel like computer science is to get a good grasp of the mathematical concepts underpinning poo poo. Like you can learn about them later but you will miss out on fundamental concepts

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I say that as someone who never went to uni because i showed them a project and they told me to gently caress off and get a job lomarf

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hbag shooting to be the type of person who is banned from the imp zone

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i find the most practical skill for anyone has to learn on your feet, cs/se tracks just give you more stuff to work with as a basis for that

most non startup jobs are maintaing garbage software made by someone who quit the company 10 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i want to try out new stuff for real poo poo that makes money but i am also a member of https://boringtechnology.club

its hard to balance