Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This movie felt a little decompressed. I was told that it's to be in two parts because Dune is too deep to fit into just one movie, but this movie felt a little decompressed to me. If I were making Dune, I'd pack in more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I just realized that the splitting of the movies was so that we could finally have a movie titled DUNE II

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Movie ruled, I really liked it. I thought the look was overall great, with a lot of small and large details just looking spectacular; though I do think some of the Lynch designs were more interesting because they were more out there or needlessly elaborate. For example the floating lights, and I think the chubby round boi harvesters have more charisma.

However, a lot of the shots in DUNC were beyond compare in how well done they were, and the sparser aesthetic fit perfectly into the stark setup, lighting etc. - this was all an obviously coherent and fully realized vision. For me the most memorable scene in setup and execution was naked Leto, like a Greek [get it] statue, posed opposite the Baron. What a wonderful image.

It did get a little long in the tooth at the end, but! I didn't actually know that it was only part 1, so I don't know how that colored expectations of length and pacing. I was with my wife and two friends and at some point we started to share glances like "how will they, you know, end this? Is the movie 4 hours long?".

(I am aware that it said "Part 1" at the very start, but I thought it meant "this is the first book's story" or that there'd be chapters)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kurzon posted:

This movie felt a little decompressed. I was told that it's to be in two parts because Dune is too deep to fit into just one movie, but this movie felt a little decompressed to me. If I were making Dune, I'd pack in more stuff.

I feel like the movie is already not the most accessible to non-Duneheads and he needs it to be in order to get any more of these made, so I get the instinct not to overload it. We mostly got what we needed from this one, though I think the duel didn't seem as climactic as it could have as a way to peak this film.

Unrelated, I think the costume design was really on point. Here's an article about how they came to be.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Where are you guys seeing this?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Where are you guys seeing this?

It released internationally on the 15th

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

The soundtrack was pretty good as well. I definitely heard some homage to the original Toto + Brian Eno soundtrack here and there.

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
Just got out of a private screening, i enjoyed EVERY second of the movie and still wanted more when the credits started to roll. the world building is top-notch, character development is good enough for a part one (and to cater to an audience not accustomed to the huuuge material), ship design: MINMATAR SLASHER. some shots had pretty good foreshadowing for any future movie plans.

I really want this movie to bring enough revenue so they officialize the second part production, and will definitely give it a second rewatch when it officially releases in my city (2 hours from Liwa desert where they filmed some shots).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

All these David Lynch name drops, now I want a filmed intro by David Lynch. Hey folks, David here.... it's a smooth 75 degrees here in Dune tonight. This movie is going to really be a pleasure. May the road rise up to meet your wheels.

If this movie doesn't feel at least 6% Lynch-esque, I'm gonna be mad now.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Spermando posted:

No, and neither was the man-spider.

I came here to ask about that, is it implied to be doctor Yueh's wife?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Heavy Metal posted:

All these David Lynch name drops, now I want a filmed intro by David Lynch. Hey folks, David here.... it's a smooth 75 degrees here in Dune tonight. This movie is going to really be a pleasure. May the road rise up to meet your wheels.

Unfortunately making Dune scarred Lynch for life and he will never watch anything Dune related ever again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That makes sense, I've heard him talk about the disappointment there in his audio book etc. But, if he happened to see and like the movie, it'd be great to have him in there. Really just a kooky flight of fancy, and riffing on all the Lynch talk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I only read the first four books, but the first book describes them as totally normal people and the second book describes them as weird fishmen in a spicetank, but that giant floating dude is 100% Lynch.

Herbert saw the Lynch movie and loved the spice tank guy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the little touch with the space mattresses:

The Atreides space fleet was designed to hide under the sea on Caladan. The Emperor couldn't realistically move against such a strong defensive position. Moving them to Arrakis put all those battleships parked on one concrete pad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arglebargle III posted:

Herbert saw the Lynch movie and loved the spice tank guy.

With good reason, that's like the best thing about Lynch's Dune - and considering how bad the overall movie is there are still a lot of great things in it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

LesterGroans posted:

It released internationally on the 15th

A FULL MONTH BEFORE THE US RELEASE!? WHAT THE gently caress!?

Seriously....is this common practice? For a movie this big? I've read the book multiple times.....but based on some of the spoiler tags (which I haven't read).....there might be some unique swings. For someone who hasn't read it....is it good for spoilers to be flowing for a entire month prior to release? Or are the folks making the decisions looking at it as....."who gives a gently caress because it's going to be free on HBO Max"?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

the spoilers must flow

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

flashy_mcflash posted:

the spoilers must flow

Brian Herbert's Golden Path is to deprive humanity of Dune spoilers by writing lovely books no one cares about

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Brian Herbert's Golden Path is to deprive humanity of Dune spoilers by writing lovely books no one cares about

Following in his father's footsteps!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Baron von Eevl posted:

N--no!!! :mods:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

You take that back, God Emperor is a treasure

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

I don't think so because the Baron says 'join her' as he kills Yueh, implying that she's already dead

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

No, it is just a creepy gimp mutant that freaks out Mother Mohiam of all people

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Seriously....is this common practice? For a movie this big? I've read the book multiple times.....but based on some of the spoiler tags (which I haven't read).....there might be some unique swings. For someone who hasn't read it....is it good for spoilers to be flowing for a entire month prior to release? Or are the folks making the decisions looking at it as....."who gives a gently caress because it's going to be free on HBO Max"?

It's not that common now, but going back maybe a decade, a lot of non-US countries would get big US tentpoles like 1-3 months after the US debut.

Simultaneous releases in theaters and on streaming has been coming for a while now, it's just the pandemic was the catalyst some studios needed. Whether we'll ever go back to the old ways, who knows.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The decline of a superpower comes at you fast I guess

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Movie was good. I did not know anything about it beforehand, except the name dunc and the director, Villenöö.

Movie looked and sounded great, I was in a small theatre where seats were 8€ each. Image was a bit small from backseat but that was my choice.

Now I want more. Pease make more.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Correct me if I missed it but I don't think there's any indication that Yueh is under conditioning or can't harm people, right?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There isn't, but they also removed the element of paranoia and suspicion in the palace.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Ha ha ha

Eat poo poo america

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

And the duel is also weird because in most traditional societies, outsiders weren't eligible to fight in duels of honor. And you often had to be of equal status to your opponent too. Like, in medieval England, only aristocrats had the right to duel other aristocrats. A peasant had no such right to challenge an aristocrat, the aristocrat instead sent his servants to beat up the impudent peasant. So Paul is an outsider to the Fremen, meaning he's nobody to them, possibly even an enemy.

He's not nobody to them, they are suspecting he is the Lisan al gaib. The duel is not about honor, it's about Jamis demanding that Paul be tested in combat. And the only reason this happens is because the Bene Gesserit have planted this legend among them eons ago. It is bad. The story is about how the idea of saviors should explicitly not be trusted. They spell it out on several occasions, here is a notable one:

quote:

“No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero.”

Edit:

YaketySass posted:

Correct me if I missed it but I don't think there's any indication that Yueh is under conditioning or can't harm people, right?

Not in the film. In the book, the belief is that Imperial conditioning is so failproof that they aren't even considering it. Obviously it turns out to not be the case, and he can be turned like everyone else. Yueh sort of frames it as though Piter created a necessity in his mind that the Baron must die, but he is only able to accomplish this goal through someone else, which ends up being Leto, and thus it doesn't break his conditioning. I sort of get the sense that this is his own excuse, and ultimately the point is that the Emperor himself still has a sort of endemic godlike status amongst the houses, which is why they all just assume that Imperial conditioning must be flawless.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ha ha ha

Eat poo poo america

I think all the Anglophone countries are getting at the same time tho? Guess we can all eat poo poo.

E: lol looks like it's not opening in Australia til December (lockdowns permitting I guess) so they will continue to eat more poo poo than anywhere else

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 22, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dante posted:

I'd give it 3 out of 5, it's no Blade Runner 2049 masterpiece - but it does "feel" like a proper translation of Dune to the screen.

Minor nitpicks and thoughts:

5. The Baron's makeup is kinda disappointing, I was sure he would be more gross after the poison.

Isn't that a failson thing? Or is this after the failed assassination attempt?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Ihmemies posted:

I did not know anything about it beforehand, except the name dunc and the director, Villenöö.
"Villeneuve" (pronounced vil-nuv) means "new town" in French.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Is it just me, or is the scene when we first get a good shot of a sandworm much darker in the movie than in the trailer? In the trailer it seemed to be early evening so you could still clearly make out the sandworms features, but in the theater the sandworm was a shadowy blob.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Is it just me, or is the scene when we first get a good shot of a sandworm much darker in the movie than in the trailer? In the trailer it seemed to be early evening so you could still clearly make out the sandworms features, but in the theater the sandworm was a shadowy blob.

Might just be your theatre, it was about the same as the trailer for me. Which is to say, still a bit too dark.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Then maybe I was wrong to criticize the movie's darkness, maybe my local cinema is at fault.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes they don't bother taking the polarizer for 3d off the projector for a normal film.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Or bulbs are dying

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The scene where they get chased across the Sand by a worm does take place at night though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Don't you first see the worm in the harvester scene (in broad daylight) or am I remembering incorrectly? Or maybe you don't see all of it until that chase.