Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

lol I found out today that the ski company owns like ten lots nearby that are designated for low income housing and they’re just sitting on them and have been for six or so years because gently caress the poors
I guess. Gonna be a hosed up season (again) when they have 40% of the staff they need (again) to make poo poo run properly. Feel like a big fire is in order.

Yeah rumour is Vail has 10% of the staff they normally would have this time of year not because they aren’t hiring but because no one is taking the jobs. I’m seeing FB ads telling me to go work at WB for the first time ever lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
that's what happens when you cant hire south american and australian kids on summer holidays on h2b and j1 visas (or the canadian equiv) and stack them 8 to a room for $10/hr

how's rob katz supposed to afford this winters new jeans to ski in

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

maybe we'll get lucky and the Valued Guest experience will be so dismal that ski resort vacations go out of style and we can all enjoy the twilight years of skiing in peace

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It worked out fine last year because people came over from Ontario and Quebec expecting to get a full good season in but instead the mountain got poo poo down after basically 4 months and everyone was a dick and lots aren’t coming back, especially given the zero notice of losing their jobs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spime Wrangler posted:

maybe we'll get lucky and the Valued Guest experience will be so dismal that ski resort vacations go out of style and we can all enjoy the twilight years of skiing in peace

But my ski valet :qq:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

But my ski valet :qq:

Bring back ski serfs. Ski feudalism

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am 6'2", 150lbs.
I have no recommendations for east coast gear, but congrats on maintaining this aspect ratio into your mid-30's

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Would it be a bad idea to pair my Volkl Mantras with something like the Line Sir Francis Bacon, maybe on the shorter side, if I'm looking for a ski that would be quicker turning for moguls/trees?

Is this a dumb idea?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

bawfuls posted:

I have no recommendations for east coast gear, but congrats on maintaining this aspect ratio into your mid-30's

Thanks! I turned 40 this year. I expect my love of cheese and beer to eventually catch up to me, but moving 6 full cords of wood twice a year plus 100 maple taps helps a lot; there's rarely a season that I'm not forced by lifestyle to sweat a lot.

I prefer it this way; when I was urban I had to force myself to do gym visits and I was always bad at it.

I will prolly just get the skis I mentioned, if I don't find anything that looks better!!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks! I turned 40 this year. I expect my love of cheese and beer to eventually catch up to me, but moving 6 full cords of wood twice a year plus 100 maple taps helps a lot; there's rarely a season that I'm not forced by lifestyle to sweat a lot.

I prefer it this way; when I was urban I had to force myself to do gym visits and I was always bad at it.

I will prolly just get the skis I mentioned, if I don't find anything that looks better!!

This is all from my armchair but sounds like you picked the right skis for what you need. Maybe Head Kore 93 or Fischer Ranger 94? You could look at something like K2 Mindbenders but then you're picking 90 or 98. You could do a Nordica Enforcer but I think that's a little more on piste focused. There's also Rossi Soul 7s which get poo poo on for being the ubiquitous rental ski of the last few years but are supposed to be fun and easy in soft snow.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
No more soul 7s unless you find old stock, they have the black ops sendr or whatever they're called but they're not the same ski, they feel very different. I love my soul 7s though, very fun especially when it's soft.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Verman posted:

No more soul 7s unless you find old stock, they have the black ops sendr or whatever they're called but they're not the same ski, they feel very different. I love my soul 7s though, very fun especially when it's soft.

Ha, that shows what kind of ski shopper I am. I only want cheap skis so my awareness is stuck like two or three years in the past.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ought ten posted:

Ha, that shows what kind of ski shopper I am. I only want cheap skis so my awareness is stuck like two or three years in the past.

That was me last year. I got into skiing after snowboarding forever and demoed 6 pairs of skis over a weekend, including the new supposedly similar black ops and liked the soul 7 the most. They're nothing like the black ops as they feel way different.

I bought them new for $400 marked down from $750? because they were leftover from 2020. I should've bought two pair because I really like them.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

ought ten posted:

This is all from my armchair but sounds like you picked the right skis for what you need. Maybe Head Kore 93 or Fischer Ranger 94? You could look at something like K2 Mindbenders but then you're picking 90 or 98. You could do a Nordica Enforcer but I think that's a little more on piste focused. There's also Rossi Soul 7s which get poo poo on for being the ubiquitous rental ski of the last few years but are supposed to be fun and easy in soft snow.

Awesome; people elsewhere on the internet agreed this ski is a good pick for what I want and also suggested Tyrolia Attack2 13 bindings as a reasonable budget option, so.....

I've been skiing since 1990 and this is the first pair of new skis I've ever owned. I bought my first pair of new boots last year, too. Moving up in the world!

Skis, bindings, 6 day season pass and 12 week ski clinic for kiddo this year added up to $1900 :allears: wow

edit: also I changed that order before I clicked submit, and got 95mm bindings instead of 110 because that should work with a 94mm width and I don't want to drag when I'm at a big incline.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Awesome; people elsewhere on the internet agreed this ski is a good pick for what I want and also suggested Tyrolia Attack2 13 bindings as a reasonable budget option, so.....

I've been skiing since 1990 and this is the first pair of new skis I've ever owned. I bought my first pair of new boots last year, too. Moving up in the world!

Skis, bindings, 6 day season pass and 12 week ski clinic for kiddo this year added up to $1900 :allears: wow

edit: also I changed that order before I clicked submit, and got 95mm bindings instead of 110 because that should work with a 94mm width and I don't want to drag when I'm at a big incline.

Enjoy, looks like it’ll be fun. 95’s will be totally fine, I think they give about 5mm extra on the stated width. I’m skiing 96s with 90mm brakes, and I even checked with the ski maker and they were like we tried that ski and binding combo and it’s no problem.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You can just bend the brakes outwards too to get like 5-8 extra mm of clearance.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hi friends, I'm visiting Harbor Springs, MI right now and there are ski shops everywhere. WTF google says that there are 40 ski resorts up here?

Are any of them worth a drat? I'm used to Mammoth and Heavenly for reference. I am interested in Nub's Nob for comedy photos alone.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

You’ll find skiing worth writing home about at Mt Bohemia on a powder day. It’s about 7 hours drive northwest from there. The rest is Midwest skiing, though the petoskey area gets loads of lake effect snow so it’s head and shoulders over most places. Expect 400-500ft of vertical, no steeps, good snowmaking, and cheap beer. Nubs nob is the local favorite.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sounds like a good place to go cross country or snowmobiling. I'm entirely ruined for something that small to ski. Maybe boarding could be fun though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Sounds like a good place to go cross country or snowmobiling. I'm entirely ruined for something that small to ski. Maybe boarding could be fun though.

Yeah, I never realized how spoiled I was growing with Mammoth until I started skiing more places and realized just how massive it is compared to most ski resorts

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 20, 2021

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

For sure! I picked up skate skiing and telemark. Also the logistics of doing snow sports are incredibly drama free out here. Short drives and small crowds. And everyone there is there for love of the game.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kiimo posted:

Yup. I remember going back to Seven Springs, the old ski place we went to growing up, paying some obscene amount for a lift ticket, then being absolutely disgusted by what I got for that.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Yup. I remember going back to Seven Springs, the old ski place we went to growing up, paying some obscene amount for a lift ticket, then being absolutely disgusted by what I got for that.

Haha hey another local. I was about half and half Seven Springs and Hidden Valley growing up. Haven’t been back since I was a teenager, I can only imagine.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

New boot day! This was a few years overdue because I’m an idiot. Now just need to wait two months to use em.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It snowed on the mountain today. GET HYPE

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

Hi friends, I'm visiting Harbor Springs, MI right now and there are ski shops everywhere. WTF google says that there are 40 ski resorts up here?

Are any of them worth a drat? I'm used to Mammoth and Heavenly for reference. I am interested in Nub's Nob for comedy photos alone.

Is Nubs mammoth? Obviously no.

I love Nubs though. I still have a long sleeve and sweat pants from there. It is my favorite downstate resort. If you are there in the winter i would ski it. I would honestly fly back from Colorado if my Ohio/Michigan family asked me to for a family trip there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SeaborneClink posted:

It snowed on the mountain today. GET HYPE

My body is ready for this season like a man who just moved to Denver and whose wife is due with their first in March.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

kiimo posted:

Traverse city area is like ... I dunno, maybe the "Hamptons/Tahoe?" of Michigan. Lots of vacation homes, wineries, golf resorts and ski slopes. Crystal and Boyne are the biggest from what I recall (it's been years since I've been) other than the few in the UP but that's an extra fee hours of driving.

I learned how to snowboard by going to the dunes 300' at a time. My first powder experience was in west Michigan when a storm blew in 2-3 feet of lake effect snow that morning. No rope or chair, just hours of climbing back uphill over and over again in knee deep fresh powder.

I grew up going to canonsberg near grand rapids for my school ski club and given I'm in Washington now, I would be really curious to go back.

Midwest skiing doesn't have the steeps or the views of western skiing but it will do if you're stuck there. Plus they almost all have night skiing. I always figured the slopes in the Midwest would really develop their park terrain since you don't need elevation for that stuff.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Verman posted:

Traverse city area is like ... I dunno, maybe the "Hamptons/Tahoe?" of Michigan. Lots of vacation homes, wineries, golf resorts and ski slopes. Crystal and Boyne are the biggest from what I recall (it's been years since I've been) other than the few in the UP but that's an extra fee hours of driving.

I learned how to snowboard by going to the dunes 300' at a time. My first powder experience was in west Michigan when a storm blew in 2-3 feet of lake effect snow that morning. No rope or chair, just hours of climbing back uphill over and over again in knee deep fresh powder.

I grew up going to canonsberg near grand rapids for my school ski club and given I'm in Washington now, I would be really curious to go back.

Midwest skiing doesn't have the steeps or the views of western skiing but it will do if you're stuck there. Plus they almost all have night skiing. I always figured the slopes in the Midwest would really develop their park terrain since you don't need elevation for that stuff.

Yeah. Good parks even at tiny 250' hills. And idk, I kind of love Traverse City skiing, it's not high but it's still a lot of fun.

Plus near-universal night skiing (it blew my mind when I first found out that many places not in the midwest *don't* have it) and, at least for lake-facing mountains, some nice views of a different type. Also Michigan has an excellent beer scene.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I was there with my friend and business partner helping his pops put the finishing touches on a huge lakeside cabin in Harbor Springs. It's gonna be rad and I imagine I will be heading up there a lot in the future so I may try to hit those places. Nubs Nob will probably be first.

I can't believe it's like a 30 minute flight from Chicago, it's a whole different world I never knew existed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nubs is fun. My childhood favorite (Sugarloaf) has been closed for 20 years but I live in hope that the most recent buyer will finally reopen - they’re at least demolishing all the old stuff, but they’d need replacement lifts since those are long gone.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I had a few friends move from Traverse City to Portland in the mid 90s. One of them told me how much he snowboarded and I was like "great, I'll show you around Hood". Got him up there on a decent pow day, rode right to a spot we'd smoke a bowl before dropping into a bowl. I was not fully aware what "I ride all the blacks in Michigan" really meant at that time, and he turned around and went back to the mild blue that gets you to Star then called it a day.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looking at the map it looks pretty comparable to Big Bear but with actual cold temps

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Bought a season pass to Targhee

sorry for ensuring it won't snow this year

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Residency Evil posted:

Is this a dumb idea?

I have no idea what kind of skis those are ( :effort: ) but were I to get a second pair to go with my same vintage Mantras they would be twitchy narrow slalom skis cambered to gently caress at like 78 underfoot for no new snow groomer days. A springy noodle, completely opposite the stiff wide turning but hard charging metal lined boards

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

kiimo posted:

My home country! Nubs, Boyne, Crystal, and Cabrafe are where we would take road trips for getaways (home "hill" was Cannonsburg).

It is no wonder that I never understood why people got so nutty over skiing until I moved to the Rockys

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 22, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

highme posted:

I was not fully aware what "I ride all the blacks in Michigan" really meant at that time

Is he a cop?

Bilirubin posted:

I have no idea what kind of skis those are ( :effort: ) but were I to get a second pair to go with my same vintage Mantras they would be twitchy narrow slalom skis cambered to gently caress at like 78 underfoot for no new snow groomer days. A springy noodle, completely opposite the stiff wide turning but hard charging metal lined boards

Something like the Volkl Kendo?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bilirubin posted:

My home country! Nubs, Boyne, Crystal, and Cabrafe are where we would take road trips for getaways (home "hill" was Cannonsburg).

It is no wonder that I never understood why people got so nutty over skiing until I moved to the Rockys

My least favorite people were our family friends who "Ski in Vail" (la de loving da). But they Skied at most 5 days a year (a lot of the time every other year). Meanwhile we are driving 5 hours north at 4 am on Saturdays, riding 9am-9pm, sleep, riding Sunday 9-4, 5 hour drive home, crash, school/work Monday morning. Riding 20 or so days a year.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

Is he a cop?

Something like the Volkl Kendo?

Yeah, or narrower

spwrozek posted:

My least favorite people were our family friends who "Ski in Vail" (la de loving da). But they Skied at most 5 days a year (a lot of the time every other year). Meanwhile we are driving 5 hours north at 4 am on Saturdays, riding 9am-9pm, sleep, riding Sunday 9-4, 5 hour drive home, crash, school/work Monday morning. Riding 20 or so days a year.

Yeah we were at Cannonsburg weekly, with multiple weekend trips or at least day strikes annually to further, better, hills. Our church youth group spear headed a lot of it. I got so that I could do a little ski ballet, spinning in circles, skiing backwards, on the bunny hills at least. I really liked Boyne in particular, they had one "steep" bowl that I loved dropping into, and the snow in the trees was usually pretty good. But I never raced or did patrol like friends did annually, and when I got to university, with no car or money, I stopped and never really felt the itch to go out again (even when living near Mt Tremblant) until my sister and coworkers shamed me into it after living in Alberta for many years. I mean, I took up mountain biking very shortly after moving out there, but skiing was this weird thing with me.

One run on the snow that falls out there though was transformative after those years carving ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hookshot, you are getting a new lift and a new gondola next summer so I don't think your Vail Resort sale dreams are going to come true.