Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Zesty posted:

Game is teaching you to be better at PVP so you can ruin the time of people who place a lot of value on their gold/reputation grinding.

:hmmyes:

Icedude posted:

That doesn't work anymore. I tried it this weekend and you don't get renown for killing those skeletons

Womp womp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Well jeeze, what even is the point of killing skellingtons without getting to brag about it over a pint of grog, I mean honestly

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Another thing that works pretty well for grinding levels is to grab some merch quests to collect animals. Make sure you’ve got cages for pigs, chickens and snakes. Then disregard the quest and head to a big island with lots of critters. Mermaid’s Hideaway works well. Box up all the animals in sight and then kill them so you can reuse the cages again and again. This gives a surprising amount of renown. When all the animals are gone, kill yourself and the island will restock when you respawn. While you’re doing this, also grab the meat from the animals you’re catching and cook and eat that while you’re running around. Both the cooking and eating will also give renown. It’s good to get a partner for this too because you can double the work and you both get renown for everything the other guy is doing. On Mermaid’s Hideaway, one of you can be fishing for pondies and cooking them up for renown too. If monsters start spawning then stop and kill them too since that will also boost your renown.

I got into a nice little rhythm doing this earlier this season and was able to boost around ten levels in a night.

Ah, that still works? That's nice, since they patched the infinite Tall Tales skeleton grind.

When I last tried the animals trick, it was season 2 and I got about 1 renown level for every 4-5 animals I caught (snakes+chickens). Did it on Crooked Masts, but since it's so in the way, I got ambushed by bloodthirsty pirates quite a bit. Mermaid's Hideaway is probably better.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Ah, that still works? That's nice, since they patched the infinite Tall Tales skeleton grind.

When I last tried the animals trick, it was season 2 and I got about 1 renown level for every 4-5 animals I caught (snakes+chickens). Did it on Crooked Masts, but since it's so in the way, I got ambushed by bloodthirsty pirates quite a bit. Mermaid's Hideaway is probably better.

I spent some time on Mermaid's Hideway last night trying to help a friend get to level 100 before the season ends. We didn't do the animal trick, but we killed a ton of skeletons and ocean crawlers -- that island seems to have a higher respawn rate than most islands we visit regularly. Or maybe we were just lucky.

He was able to go from 94 to 97 in just under two hours. We completed a few deeds and one full trial, sank a skeleton sloop, and killed about seven skeleton captains. Plus loading all of the loot that goes along with it (selling the loot doesn't seem to give renown, but loading it on your ship does).

Don't know if he'll make it, since he only has a little time tonight to play. I think we might spend a few minutes server hopping to try to find a skeleton fleet event.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Looks like they're closing the servers for maintenance for a while before the patch, I'm glad I didn't try to chase down lvl 100. I got to lvl 80 last night with friends and that's enough for all the cloudy pegasus guns, so I'm pleased.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Get you some obsidian gear this weekend.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Straight up Underwater non story shrines and treasuries

get ready to explore these things only to come back up to see your ship is sunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDFSvIMzQiM

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

They seem very cool but doing them without a mostly empty ship up top seems like a huge mistake.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

I look forward to sitting on top of one of these luring in ships that think I'll be an easy sink.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Looks like it'll be challenging to do solo without getting sunk, but I'd imagine not too bad on a galleon where you can leave someone on the ship to sail off if anyone gets too nosy whilst everyone else loads up the mermaid to pick up the loot later once you've lost/sunk the enemy.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

With the Mermaid Storage mechanic, I imagine it'll be more likely to come up to find you ship filled with kegs more than to find your ship sunk.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:siren: Season 4 has begun :siren: and the Sea of Goons discord has gotten a rework to make it a little more usable and colorful.

Sea of Goons

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

glitchwraith posted:

With the Mermaid Storage mechanic, I imagine it'll be more likely to come up to find you ship filled with kegs more than to find your ship sunk.

yeah, I mentioned it in the discord, but I feel like the pro play is to have a guy fill your bottom with kegs, and then wait until you pop the delivery merperson.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The treasuries are pretty ok to do solo. It's like an underwater fort with ~8 waves of a few enemies, alternating between Ocean crawlers, sirens and coral skeletons with kegs. The room will fill & drain with water when a siren wave is up.

The underwater combat is still horrible. The vault room has about 20 pieces of loot, nothing ground-breaking.

I haven't tried a shrine yet, but they seem like a big puzzle room, like the APL missions. When I tried one, someone else was already there - so i loaded the loot they helpfully parked at the storage mermaid statue, into it, warped to the surface, loaded the loot into my ship and sailed off.

The coral curse looks badass, I kinda want it. The requirements look like a grind though.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i haven't done a treasury yet but i'm optimistic that it will be more fun than fighting a million waves of skeletons because skeletons are super boring to fight and i find both ocean crawlers and sirens more interesting

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

We had a go at a few shrines and also got a decent amount of loot, about 20 or so as well. Seems to give a decent payout though with an Emissary flag, and was quicker than a fort. That said, we either missed the puzzles or came in after they'd been solved by a different crew, so we might have been able to get more. If you can get the corral bottle voyage, the breath of the sea is worth it. A green one was 5k even before the emissary bonus. It does seem ideal to have someone baby sit your boat, both to keep an eye out for enemies and to get loot aboard so the statue doesn't fill up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Twitch Drops! One every day. Just requires watching a channel streaming Sea of Thieves with Drops Enabled for 20 minutes. You can even just set it to lowest quality, mute, and have it in the background if you really wanted.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/twitch-drops
https://www.twitch.tv/drops/campaigns

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
edit:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 7, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

New Discord is up guys. The old Discord is being run by Tempus Thales who is mad about being banned from SA and is turning all the goon communities he controls into his own personal cult of personality around himself that generally recruits from elsewhere. If you wish to continue to play in a goon community, I have server here for goons and friends. You can find more info about Tempus Thales in the PYF Sagas thread.

New Discord Link

edit: looks like the old Sea of Goons discord was deleted.

Real sorry about the loving goon drama, everyone.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 7, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zesty posted:

Real sorry about the loving goon drama, everyone.

It's my first major goon drama. It's rather exciting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sure want to like this game, but holy heck was kinda night ruined because me and my friends got raided.

Like certainly a "learn things the hard way" moment, but just kinda agitates me how it went down. Me and friends did a quest, then found a purple vortexy thing. 3 guys go down, I hung back because it was raining and I was worried about the ship sinking.

Friends seem to all be having an interesting time fighting mermonsters, rain stops, friend suggests I come down since things seem to be clear. We kill mermonsters, get a ton of loot. We return to boat, boat is...somewhere else now, everything we had seems to be gone, we're all kind of frustrated, I guess we must have been robbed, then figured oh, we have to go back to the place and find the mermaid. We manage to get back to the place, get all the loot from the mermaid cave.

And like, just as we're feeling hope again, other people sail up on us and just dunk on us, it literally just happened so fast we're not entirely sure how it went down. We think they launched someone onto the ship to drop our anchor???

Can't help but feel a bit salty this sure feels like a "just wait for other players to do cool stuff and just steal from them" sort of thing / bad memories of GTAO, but bleh, guess it wouldn't be much of a pirate game without some legit pirating.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the new mermaid temples are implemented terribly imo. Your only options are to leave someone back to babysit the boat while everyone gets to have fun, send the whole crew down and leave your ship alone for like 30-min to a whole rear end hour, or periodically send someone up... which would be fine, if you didn't have to swim all the fuckin' way back down lol.

Oxyclean posted:

Can't help but feel a bit salty this sure feels like a "just wait for other players to do cool stuff and just steal from them" sort of thing

it's absolutely this, even if it wasn't designed that way. At least at a Skeleton Fort or a Fire Tornado you can do the content while keeping an eye on your boat and not leaving it completely up to luck whether another player shows up to sink you for free.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there drawbacks to stealing from other players in general? Because even beyond the Mermaid temples, it seems like an no-risk all-reward to go after other players who have treasure if you have none.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Oxyclean posted:

Is there drawbacks to stealing from other players in general? Because even beyond the Mermaid temples, it seems like an no-risk all-reward to go after other players who have treasure if you have none.

That is kinda the point, yes

The risk is other players stopping you from taking their stuff

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

That is kinda the point, yes

The risk is other players stopping you from taking their stuff

That's not much of a risk if you have nothing to lose lol. If they win, they don't get any loot, if you win, you get all the loot.

I guess it could be a bit boring if you only sail around trying to find other players with loot while doing nothing else that gets you treasure.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The risk is you wasting your time fighting off a crew better than you while you, yourself, could be off getting treasure. You could spend all night hunting, keep losing fights, and walk away with less than you'd getting from a single Fort or whatever.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

That's not much of a risk if you have nothing to lose lol. If they win, they don't get any loot, if you win, you get all the loot.

I guess it could be a bit boring if you only sail around trying to find other players with loot while doing nothing else that gets you treasure.

Yeah, people can run away for a long time if they really want to usually, so it's tough to make a bunch of money by wandering around and finding people to kill. The way way my friends and I play, we just go around doing simple voyages while looking for something more compelling, and sometimes that involves attacking another ship if the getting is good. The mermaid shrines are not designed well for this though, the normal rules of being able to hide on islands and keep and eye on the horizon while doing stuff don't apply. I think the best way to do the mermaid stuff is to just set out without treasure or turn all of it in when you find a blue bottle and then go do that. If would be nice if there was a way to protect the ship when everyone was under, even if it goes against "normal" game conventions, which all the underwater places do anyway.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Sure want to like this game, but holy heck was kinda night ruined because me and my friends got raided.

Like certainly a "learn things the hard way" moment, but just kinda agitates me how it went down. Me and friends did a quest, then found a purple vortexy thing. 3 guys go down, I hung back because it was raining and I was worried about the ship sinking.

Friends seem to all be having an interesting time fighting mermonsters, rain stops, friend suggests I come down since things seem to be clear. We kill mermonsters, get a ton of loot. We return to boat, boat is...somewhere else now, everything we had seems to be gone, we're all kind of frustrated, I guess we must have been robbed, then figured oh, we have to go back to the place and find the mermaid. We manage to get back to the place, get all the loot from the mermaid cave.

And like, just as we're feeling hope again, other people sail up on us and just dunk on us, it literally just happened so fast we're not entirely sure how it went down. We think they launched someone onto the ship to drop our anchor???

Can't help but feel a bit salty this sure feels like a "just wait for other players to do cool stuff and just steal from them" sort of thing / bad memories of GTAO, but bleh, guess it wouldn't be much of a pirate game without some legit pirating.

That sucks, and is definitely something I've been worrying about, though so far have been lucky enough to avoid even when playing solo.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the treasure you store with the mermaid won't last forever, it usually will last long enough for you to come back after fighting, fleeing, or sinking. Until you open it up it is completely unavailable to enemy crews, which incentivizes them to wait until your loading it up. So, before that point, scan the horizon and check for people hiding on your boat. Will that be full proof? No, but if you take these precautions loading up won't be any more dangerous than, say, retrieving meg/skelly ship loot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

After a point, you don't need gold anymore. You don't really need it ever.

Going after players IS the fun for a lot of people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the mermaid treasure lasts more than an hour, easy. We got attacked just as we finished Treasury of the Lost Ancients, didn't pull the treasure out of the merm, battled around it for like 15 minutes, got chased past Plunder Valley, Finest Trading Post, Lost Gold, and then Plunder Outpost (to get supplies, we ran out cannonballs) recruited a solo sloop at Plunder to help us kill them, finally managed to kill them after another 20 minutes of fighting, and sailed all the way back and the mermaid was still there.

Zesty posted:

yeah as someone who's played this game since the very beginning, this is a PvP game with light PvE elements that exist solely to get you out onto the ocean in order to let PvP happen

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zesty posted:

I kind of figured.

Speaking as someone who is mostly salty, I'm kind of surprised there isn't some kind of bounty system or something. Sink/steal from other players, get a bounty, more bounty makes it easier for other people to know where you are, then create rewards for going after bounties. So now you can have like a two factor reward system for going after other players.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There is, it's just opt-in. Flying the Reaper Company Flag, in order to gain Reapers rep, marks you on the map, and even shows what tier of the flag you're on. You see a level 5 reaper out away from the Hideout and they've almost definitely got something worth taking, even if it's their flag.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I kind of figured.

Speaking as someone who is mostly salty, I'm kind of surprised there isn't some kind of bounty system or something. Sink/steal from other players, get a bounty, more bounty makes it easier for other people to know where you are, then create rewards for going after bounties. So now you can have like a two factor reward system for going after other players.

Look into the emissary system, reaper emissaries show up on the map as scary shadow ships and they can also track down other ships flying emissary flags for the other companies (which are way more likely to be full of loot and a good fight). This is very much a pvp game with pve stuff to build tension and create stakes, but once you realize that only cosmetics are on the line, pvp fights become big fun chaotic messes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the real valuables are your time and effort. Gold is just permanent unlocks people can't take away from you once you buy them (and very minorly like some supplies you can find everywhere else lol).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Oxyclean posted:

I kind of figured.

It's not exactly a bounty system, but many of the people who are specifically looking for PvP fights will be running the Reaper's Bones emissary flag. When running this flag, a ship is visible on the map to all other ships on the server, along with their current Reaper rank.

As a Reaper sinks ships during a given session, their flag will rank up. At rank 5, a Reaper can see other active emissaries on the map. Sinking them resets their rank and greatly hampers their ability to pirate people.

In addition, you can turn in emissary flags from defeated ships for gold and Reaper's reputation of your own. And a high-ranked Reaper is likely carrying a ton of loot if they haven't had a chance to sell yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don't get mad. Get even. Let's get some goon reaper groups together.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Killing a reaper with a full flag and ship right near the hideout is the best thing ever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Emissary/reaper stuff seems neat, glad they at least seem to have thought a bit about that kind of counterplay.

Going in with the mindset that losing loot isn't that big of deal since it's all just cosmetics anyways should help in the future.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I sometimes get some heat for this opinion but it's fine to also just get fuckin' mad. It sucks to get your rear end kicked, especially when it's in situations where the odds aren't even. You just have to take a deep breath and use that energy to get revenge or start working on rebuilding your wealth. Getting mad is okay, staying mad is only hurting yourself.

Don't like, be a dick to your crew or anything obviously, they lost of all of their poo poo too, but I just mean that it's natural to get heated about having your goals interrupted. Discourse on the internet would have you believe that getting mad means you've lost, but it's not that big of a deal lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh for sure, but I just wanted to kinda clear the air since I came into the thread a bit angry at the game's design. I was playing with a full group with 3 friends, and we all ended up feeling pretty sour/frustrated and broke for the night. I'm pretty bad about not gettin mad at games, so getting a better grasp of what this stuff actually means in the grand scheme sorta helps. Losin poo poo in Dark Souls feels easier when you go in expecting to lose stuff, or knowing that it's not too hard to grind it back, etc.

It also helps to temper expectations of the game to hear it's more pvp then pve - we're all playing through discounted game pass, so I think it was a bit of a spur of the moment "lets play this cause it's co-opish." There's still fun to be had, but it just helps to know a bit more that this is poo poo to expect, not a rarity?