Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have called it Overwatch Ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Overwatch 2 will now be a TikTok experience the whole family will enjoy.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when Blizzard bought a studio (Swingin' Ape Studios) to try and fix SC: Ghost and then they couldn't do it so the game was just cancelled and the team was assimilated into Blizzard?

This was before another outside studio (Nihilistic) had also tried to fix SC: Ghost and couldn't do it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ErrEff posted:

OW2 has be ready for OWL in mid-April... or maybe even late March.

I can't even imagine the pressure the dev team must be under.

They're effectively making two games, a pvp sequel/expansion to Overwatch and a live service pve game. They could split the releases to meet the deadline for OWL but that would completely undermine them abandoning Overwatch 1 in the first place :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Minrad posted:

loot is tied to weekly chests instead of being given at the end of the dungeon/raid to encourage you to renew your subscription so you can see what it is you actually won,

Oh wow, how long has that been a thing? That's hilariously predatory.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
weekly loot chests have been around since... legion? for m+, but in shadowlands they tacked raids and pvp onto it as well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

THE BAR posted:

Oh wow, how long has that been a thing? That's hilariously predatory.

In the context of the game it was an improvement; instead of full RNG for loot you are/were guaranteed something based on the highest content you cleared that week.

"Hilariously predatory" is when they do 6 month sub drives that you pay for all up front for an in game mount, usually done "right around when new content is planned to drop in a week or two" to maximize suckers who'd normally stick with month-to-month.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hell if you want to squint your eyes a bit, there are random loot chests that have a very small chance to contain rare mounts you can't buy anymore that you can buy with gold, and gold can be bought with irl money, so effectively the game can be whaled in exactly the same way you would a gacha game. absolutely every way of milking money in video games is in wow, all at the same time. it's absurd.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Minrad posted:

weekly loot chests have been around since... legion? for m+, but in shadowlands they tacked raids and pvp onto it as well.

I played Legion for a few weeks, and hadn't really planned on playing since I stopped in Warlords. But my friends pulled me back in for another attempt.

I'm not friends with those people anymore.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It would probably be for the best really if Blizzard just cancels Overwatch 2. Move that team over to Diablo IV and work on one new game at a time, in this case Diablo IV.

They have a viable product already! Just shift the ow2 team into making content for a still extant but starving playerbase, get GMs in place to crack down extremely hard on toxic behaviors, run a bunch of events to get folks back in, start releasing heroes for the first time in well over a year and they can maybe course correct.

The "box every year" approach doesn't work for a games as a service game, so start treating OW like one again and maybe people will begin caring and they can start making lootbox money and get people to pay attention to OWL and keep those sponsors happy.

They won't, and OW2 will continue be a hilarious boondoggle, but this is absolutely self inflicted.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro

ErrEff posted:

Remember when Blizzard bought a studio (Swingin' Ape Studios) to try and fix SC: Ghost and then they couldn't do it so the game was just cancelled and the team was assimilated into Blizzard?

This was before another outside studio (Nihilistic) had also tried to fix SC: Ghost and couldn't do it.

Yeah that was a shame because I really liked their game Metal Arms. Probably the first time Blizzard and Capitalism lead to my disappointment.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

I said come in! posted:

It would probably be for the best really if Blizzard just cancels Overwatch 2. Move that team over to Diablo IV and work on one new game at a time, in this case Diablo IV.

OWL team owners were straight up telling blizzard they should just cancel the 2022 OWL season and get their poo poo in order wrt the lawsuits and with getting OW2 to an actually good state. Which is legit probably the smartest thing they could do at this point.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kevsop posted:

Yeah that was a shame because I really liked their game Metal Arms. Probably the first time Blizzard and Capitalism lead to my disappointment.

I loving loved Metal Arms: glitch in the system as a kid.

I always thought wow2 should have happened after Legion when everything got cosmic and legendary with facing sargeras. End active development on wow, and set the sequel mmo outside of azeroth several decades later as azerothian space adventurers fighting the burning legion on another world or something.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Blizzard's Over: Watchleague

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So Vicarious Visions are the people who put together the D2 remaster, right? I saw they've done several well regarded projects before- are they still a third party or did ActiBlizz buy them out? Are they hosed over by their parent company being a den of sexual harassment, or are they involved too? Are they hosed over Ubisoft style, where they don't get paid if the game doesn't reach x units sold or a certain metascore? I want to feel bad for them, especially after seeing the statement by their head guy about people following their feelings about whether to buy or not, but I can do other things with my time. I don't need to throw money at Blizzard to spend more of my life on D2 for nostalgia.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Vicarious Visions has been a part of Activision since 2005. Since they’re owned by them I don’t think there’d be non-payment for poor sales/ metacritic scores but I don’t know :shrug:

it also seems like they’ve done nothing wrong during their time under ABK (that we’re aware of at least)

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 22, 2021

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks. Diablo 2 was my big Blizzard game in high school and dropped off when WoW became their big project. I was temporarily excited when I saw the announcement, but we all saw the suit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
poo poo there's no more space in the thread title for the ow2 lead quitting

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks. Diablo 2 was my big Blizzard game in high school and dropped off when WoW became their big project. I was temporarily excited when I saw the announcement, but we all saw the suit.

Honestly if they end up firing bobby kotick I'd probably buy d2r that day if it turns out to be good. Assuming they don't replace him with dick cheney or something, ofc

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kith posted:

this is a real good post and deserves to be part of the OP imo

Inshallah, it is now

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

poo poo there's no more space in the thread title for the ow2 lead quitting
"SEC & NLRB investigating, CLO Quits, OW2 Lead Quits"
Might fit?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So Vicarious Visions are the people who put together the D2 remaster, right? I saw they've done several well regarded projects before- are they still a third party or did ActiBlizz buy them out? Are they hosed over by their parent company being a den of sexual harassment, or are they involved too? Are they hosed over Ubisoft style, where they don't get paid if the game doesn't reach x units sold or a certain metascore? I want to feel bad for them, especially after seeing the statement by their head guy about people following their feelings about whether to buy or not, but I can do other things with my time. I don't need to throw money at Blizzard to spend more of my life on D2 for nostalgia.

They made Jen O'Neal, the studio lead of VV, one of the co-leaders of Blizzard, but perhaps just cosmetic or setting her up to take a fall

Afaik all of VV's devs are integrated into Blizzard since earlier this year, possibly in anticipation of this poo poo storm

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
February
Activision Blizzard lays off 800+ employees despite record earnings in 2018. Esports and internal IT are gutted. “It’s a bloodbath here.”

So much has happened that I forgot this happened. That... mighta caused some issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

Vicarious Visions has been a part of Activision since 2005. Since they’re owned by them I don’t think there’d be non-payment for poor sales/ metacritic scores but I don’t know :shrug:

it also seems like they’ve done nothing wrong during their time under ABK (that we’re aware of at least)

Activision doesn't pay royalties to their employees. They stopped this after the Modern Warfare 2 stuff. All of the money pretty much goes to Bobby Kotick, and a handful of executives.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Blaise330 posted:

February
Activision Blizzard lays off 800+ employees despite record earnings in 2018. Esports and internal IT are gutted. “It’s a bloodbath here.”

So much has happened that I forgot this happened. That... mighta caused some issues.

I remember those layoffs, and honestly probably not. Both Activision and Blizzard had built up marketing groups that were large, individual, but still had to work together.

The problem was two monolithic structures being built up in the first place, when publishing should've definitely been held by Activision

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blaise330 posted:

February

Blizzard had their own eSports people from the days of Brood War and KESPA, but as the focus turned toward MOBAs and they were completely unprepared for it that organization became kind of pointless after SC2 fizzled out. In the meantime, Activision bought MLG and had an entire eSports infrastructure required for Call of Duty.

There's no point in giving Blizzard so much independence that there's competing teams for stuff like eSports. Yeah Overwatch and Call of Duty have different audiences, but that's a good thing. If you can get both separate audiences into one unified revenue stream you own something like half the eSports market. Individually it's hard to see any one of Activision's games pulling in a larger audience than LoL and CSGO, but mash them into an ESPN-like thing where fans of one are given teasers and encouragement to investigate the others and they have a better chance of making money than they do trying to compete with each other for viewers.

That's not actually what they're doing, or even a fully formed idea, but the point is that Blizzard having it's own people for eSports is kind of unnecessary when a Big Corporate Conglomerate approach is going to be more successful. This is why Disney has Dinsey+ instead of a Disney service, a Marvel service, a Lucas service and so on.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 22, 2021

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I mean sure but ol bobby and friends took in 100+ million and lord knows what else. I don't think laying everyone off in a good year is ever a good move.

Transition them over into Activision over time if needed. If that means that bobby has only 5 private jets instead of 6 then I guess that's just too high of a price.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I mean sure but ol bobby and friends took in 100+ million and lord knows what else. I don't think laying everyone off in a good year is ever a good move.

Transition them over into Activision over time if needed. If that means that bobby has only 5 private jets instead of 6 then I guess that's just too high of a price.
Investors like laying off a poo poo-ton of people to see even higher profits, but strategically speaking big businesses would avoid it if they could. Laying off entire divisions is putting a LOT of talent there for your competitors, and at least some of it had been useful to you. But also, any merger sees redundant offices eliminated. If Nike bought Under Armour it's not like they'd need those marketing folks.

I don't think all 800 are eSports, but the point was that you're seeing games like COD show up in the BNet launcher now. There's no point in treating them like two companies, but there's a lot of redundancies due to initially going out of their way to make sure Blizzard still looked like Blizzard. But after stuff like Diablo III and the Warcraft movie, the prestige has worn off and some cows are no longer sacred.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

All 800 weren't eSports, there was a bunch of Marketing and Community people mixed in as well as the aforementioned Internal IT. Focusing on the layoffs is also kind of missing the larger story imo. Like, this was a super high level of disorganization that built up over years after Activision bought out Blizzard. Being in a position to cull 800 in the first place, while being profitable, is a huge misstep.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

wasn't the esports division headed by the wife of someone, but she was actually passionate about esports and worked hard to make it work

then when she left, someone clearly thought it must have been a ez job because she clearly got that position through nepotism and someone else put their wife in charge of esports, which then went to poo poo because she had no idea what she was doing?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Splash Attack posted:

wasn't the esports division headed by the wife of someone, but she was actually passionate about esports and worked hard to make it work

then when she left, someone clearly thought it must have been a ez job because she clearly got that position through nepotism and someone else put their wife in charge of esports, which then went to poo poo because she had no idea what she was doing?

Yeah Amy Morhaime was the director for awhile of eSports.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Zil posted:

Yeah Amy Morhaime was the director for awhile of eSports.

Wait but didn't she meet mike at blizzard? Like she's not really somebody's wife, she's a blizzard employee with decades of tenure.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I thought it was J Allen Brack's wife who did that??

ah poo poo, am I conflating Blizzard Lore?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thanks thread for letting me know that Blizzard North/my favorite Blizzard games weren't really Blizzard. (Not that I haven't loved plenty of games from Blizzard proper)

ErrEff posted:

OW2 has be ready for OWL in mid-April... or maybe even late March.

I can't even imagine the pressure the dev team must be under.

At this point it's probably "staring dead eyed at the wall, unable to bring yourself to work" level pressure for a lot of them, hence at least some of these departures.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

30.5 Days posted:

Wait but didn't she meet mike at blizzard? Like she's not really somebody's wife, she's a blizzard employee with decades of tenure.

That I'm not sure on, I just know they got married in 2010.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Well,

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1441072926376169489

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

It’s going well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I thought it was J Allen Brack's wife who did that??

ah poo poo, am I conflating Blizzard Lore?

Both Morhaime and JAB's wives were "directors of esports", it's just that Amy actually did it as a career and JAB apparently assumed it was a fluffy do-nothing nepotism position

The HotS surprise shutdown was a month or two after Mike and Amy left

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So which review sites that said they're not going to be reviewing Blizzard games anymore went out and did a review of the Diablo 2 remake?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Would it count if they copied and pasted an original review of Diablo 2? Cause that would be funny and I would give a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Would it count if they copied and pasted an original review of Diablo 2? Cause that would be funny and I would give a pass.

Reburied is worse than the original though