Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think Demon Form is bad but it can be pretty hard to get into play safely. Insanely good with Snecko Eye, but definitely still playable without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

It's good in boss fights and sucks in about 90% of the other fights. But yeah, it rules with Snecko.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Give me rupture over demon form any day of the week.

And then give me no self damage cards, not even a curse :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

All the Form cards are a little bit ridiculous. Deva Form is the weakest because Watcher already has great energy manipulation and the worst X-spells, but it's still a run-changing card.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I will absolutely always pick Demon Form unless I'm doing some gimmick like a thin Searing Blow deck. It singlehandedly wins you the fight against any boss and some elites like Head. If I'm going for the Heart it's especially a no-brainer.

I will think long and hard before picking up a second one, however, unless I have Snecko Eye or a shitton of strength-scaling cards.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
What about 3 headbutts and a spot weakness+?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm getting drat close in A19 Silent after watching that 3 hour jorbs explainer from 2-3 years ago. Interesting to see the (few) tweaks that have happened to the cards since then.

But Book of Stabbing and Gremlin Leader haven't ended my run since.

I'm better about building my deck contextually, but the biggest difference is being more aggressive about taking upgrades at fireplaces vs. HP, making the Act 1 elites far more survivable.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 21, 2021

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I think Demon Form is a fine card to pick up in Act 1/2. Its scaling wins you boss fights. I think it is too slow for most elite fights.

Dyz posted:

What about 3 headbutts and a spot weakness+?

Head's in the right place butt I don't think that'd be as good. I'd prefer a Limit Break+ and any type of strength gain, either Enflame or just starting relic strength.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

^^^^^^^^^Agreed.
Demon form is an incredibly specialized card. For 90% of fights it's basically a curse, but in those 10% it's an all star play maker for the hardest fights in the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Let's have a hypothetical discussion based off my latest run.

A20 Ironclad. You took 18 damage for a Rare card offer. Juggernaut, Corruption, Bludgeon. Which?

Bludgeon seems like the obvious pick here since it gets you through Act 1, but it's not a great card.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'd guess it depends on your pathing. If you can find a path through Act 1 that seems like it's not too hard and still has a good amount of elites, I'd strongly consider Corruption. I'd never take Juggernaut there.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

A20 Ironclad. You took 18 damage for a Rare card offer. Juggernaut, Corruption, Bludgeon. Which?

Bludgeon seems like the obvious pick here since it gets you through Act 1, but it's not a great card.

You can't really make a good choice in a vacuum. What is the rest of your deck, where are you in the game, what are your relics, etc.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'd take Bludgeon no question. After you upgrade it you don't really need much more in the way of damage for Act 1 so you can skip the attack commons and start making a good deck for Act 2. It lets you path more aggressively so that's more potions, gold, card choices and relics.

Corruption is crap with only defends in your deck and you can't start adding many skills until you get more damage so it's going to be penalizing you for an entire act at least.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

You can't really make a good choice in a vacuum. What is the rest of your deck, where are you in the game, what are your relics, etc.

It's 18 damage for a card so this is at Neow, or as close to a vaccuum as you can get.

I'd take Bludgeon for sure. Corruption I might be able to turn into a game-winning setup later on, Bludgeon will let me solve Elites now. I value the snowball of being able to route in elites and campfire upgrades more than the later potential of what's basically a Curse up front.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
just picked this up over the weekend and playing it like crazy. any thread recommended guides / resources?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

It's 18 damage for a card so this is at Neow, or as close to a vaccuum as you can get.

I'd take Bludgeon for sure. Corruption I might be able to turn into a game-winning setup later on, Bludgeon will let me solve Elites now. I value the snowball of being able to route in elites and campfire upgrades more than the later potential of what's basically a Curse up front.

Oh, I misunderstood the situation. Yeah, I'd take Bludgeon. Corruption is basically a curse at the start and Juggernaut really needs a decent block engine you don't have on floor 1.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bludgeon.

Then grab some havocs and a dual wield if you can find it :v:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I guess another question is who's the boss? Because if it's guardian then I could see picking up Juggernaut but it's still a curse till the end of the act. Other than that, it's basically auto pick bludgeon. Even if it's difficult to scale (you generally need 4 energy to work a double tap/thunderclap combo) it will absolutely carry you through the first act especially when upgraded. Give 0 energy or energy positive cards an extra bit of priority (except rage), maybe grab a headbutt to reliably draw it a bit more often.

As an aside, I am beginning to appreciate headbutt as an early game pick up more and more. Many Act 1's are defined by a handful of cards that carry you through so much, and headbutt can double that Carnage+ or flame that is really doing all the work.

Edit: it also does ok in later acts to grab you the cards you need.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I will say tht even though I think demon form is fairly weak in general, pairing it with reaper is incredibly fun and good

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Finally beat ascension 20 with a non-degenerate deck!

Though, that time I got lucky because I went with "first 3 enemies have 1 HP" and I got 2 elites with it, followed by 2 more elites in act 1. This deck also used discard synergies! I had sneaky strike, and later eviscerate for free damage, and Reflex+ with all my card draw and discard meant I always had the right hand for the turn. Even so, I wouldn't have beaten the time eater if I didn't have Wraith Form from enchiridion, which was the only time it was useful.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I generally don't think Juggernaut is very good. It can do ok with a corruption/feel no pain combo, but if you already have that you don't care where your damage comes from.
Bludgeon is the obvious pick, although corruption is a good enough card that it might be worth playing conservatively act 1 just to make sure you have it. Eventually you will be glad you took it, you just have to survive until then.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

mark immune posted:

just picked this up over the weekend and playing it like crazy. any thread recommended guides / resources?

Here's a beginner guide written by Baalorlord, one of the strongest streamers: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LzL_gnXrDsK8cFfkGEQmJncnlPVZZsqxoRZShZssicw/edit

Baalorlord, Jorbs, Lifecoach, and TerrenceMHS are probably the strongest players of who stream, and they all have at least a little bit of stuff on youtube, so look for their vods on Twitch and youtube.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I really really don't vibe with Jorbs. Baalor's good.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, he's polarizing. I actually dislike him too, but a lot of people do like him, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Jorbs is a low-key sweetheart, but he has a very dry sense of humor and he sets firm boundaries between himself and the chat channel, both of which rub some people the wrong way.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I downloaded some custom chars

The Hermit - could be an official 5th char with some cleaning up. Amazing mechanic of cards that become more powerful if they’re in the middle of your hand and a very strong theme, but probably way too easy once you get used to him like the Watcher.

The Hierophant - why did people recommend this bullshit, like 20 new mechanics and why is every card yellow and who has time for this garbage

The Bug Knight - haven’t played him but apparently the mod infects any run you do with the new elites and relics so that was a surprise to fight some giant bug instead of Gremlin Nob. Actually a cool fight - uses next turn block, summons pillbugs periodically and then hibernates after a while with barricade to regain health if you don’t kill him fast enough

Ok, fine, back to grinding ascension :protarget:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I really really don't vibe with Jorbs. Baalor's good.

I prefer Baalor's personality as well, but Jorbs overexplained runs are a must watch if you want to put some time into learning about how to get better.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Most recent Silent run was pretty mediocre, the RNG kept giving me mediocre card picks so I had way less Block than I probably should have by the time the Champ murdered me and also gave me jack poo poo in the way of either shiv related cards or poison ones so I couldn't really specialize in either direction so my overall damage output was bad as well

Also I ended up with lots of potions and relics(many of which were pretty mediocre though) but thanks to the layouts I didn't end up at a shop once that run either

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

I prefer Baalor's personality as well, but Jorbs overexplained runs are a must watch if you want to put some time into learning about how to get better.

If I want overexplanation I'll watch Lifecoach. Not only does Coach understand the first principles better than Jorbs, he is also willing to talk about them and is a lot more fun to watch. While I appreciate that Jorbs has done this a lot and is heartily sick of it, because of the change it's brought about in his attitude he is nowhere near as good a streamer now as he was before it became his full time job.

E: on the subject of Lifecoach, he set a new WR Ironclad streak yesterday and is currently at 15 wins in a row with an overall 84% win rate after 38 games.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 22, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I forget, what's the highest ascension where people can realistically have a 100% winrate? Was that possible at 15? I know every run is technically winnable

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A Moose posted:

I forget, what's the highest ascension where people can realistically have a 100% winrate? Was that possible at 15? I know every run is technically winnable

Not every run is technically winnable. It's possible, if unlikely, for the game to give a layout where Silent cannot avoid fighting Lagavulin on floor 6 and is not offered any damage improvements on the first five floors.

A15 is technically 100% winnable, though. It's where the endgame was originally balanced.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I would be amazed if watcher didn't have an effective 100% winrate on A15. Hell, if a really good player said they could win >99.9% on A19 watcher I'd believe them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

I would be amazed if watcher didn't have an effective 100% winrate on A15. Hell, if a really good player said they could win >99.9% on A19 watcher I'd believe them.

Lifecoach has a 94% win rate on A20 Watcher including an open streak of 18 wins. I don't doubt that he's close to 99% adjusted for learning.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I have to give lifecoach credit for having a sense of humor about himself. One time when I watched his stram he talked about Sundial saying "I will not optimize Sundial. If I try to get Sundial on the right number after every fight, my runs will take 5 hours... oh wait they already take 5 hours!"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

I have to give lifecoach credit for having a sense of humor about himself. One time when I watched his stram he talked about Sundial saying "I will not optimize Sundial. If I try to get Sundial on the right number after every fight, my runs will take 5 hours... oh wait they already take 5 hours!"

My favorite life coach moment was when he enters a shop and sees a pen nib. There's some sort of kerfuffle in chat asking him to buy something else, to which he begins excitedly explaining that he already has bludgeon and the two work very well together. Chat disagrees, so he snatches the pen nib anyway. A little bit later he faces laghagulin and lines up a perfect nib + vulnerable shot, all the time taunting chat with " Oh? Don't get pen nib! X was better! Pen nib sucks?" Before swinging both his hands down like an axe handle screaming

"WHAPOM! 126 DAMAGE!"

And laughing the whole thing off.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My favorite life coach moment was when he enters a shop and sees a pen nib. There's some sort of kerfuffle in chat asking him to buy something else, to which he begins excitedly explaining that he already has bludgeon and the two work very well together. Chat disagrees, so he snatches the pen nib anyway. A little bit later he faces laghagulin and lines up a perfect nib + vulnerable shot, all the time taunting chat with " Oh? Don't get pen nib! X was better! Pen nib sucks?" Before swinging both his hands down like an axe handle screaming

"WHAPOM! 126 DAMAGE!"

And laughing the whole thing off.

Jordan-coach: Chat disagreed with me, and I took that personally.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jedit posted:

Not every run is technically winnable. It's possible, if unlikely, for the game to give a layout where Silent cannot avoid fighting Lagavulin on floor 6 and is not offered any damage improvements on the first five floors.

A15 is technically 100% winnable, though. It's where the endgame was originally balanced.

after I asked I remembered this article exists

https://forgottenarbiter.github.io/Is-Every-Seed-Winnable/

I think I got this from this thread, but in short, it is probably possible that an unwinnable seed does exist, but a computer was not able to find one in where the silent has to:
-fight an elite
-on floor six
-with no additional sources of damage
-and a useless neow bonus,
-on ascension 20

out of a few billion seeds. it only theoretically exists. So pretty much every run is winnable, though you might have to do some illogical or unintuitive things to win

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 22, 2021

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Jedit posted:

E: on the subject of Lifecoach, he set a new WR Ironclad streak yesterday and is currently at 15 wins in a row with an overall 84% win rate after 38 games.

I guess 16 now. barely survived with a good shrug it off into ghostly armor on Lagavulin, had 1 hp at the end of the fight. Proceeds to get corruption, bottled lightning, and dead branch later in the run lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
That article is out of date, a few months ago Baalor played a silent seed that was unwinnable on A20.