Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
not only did the feds show up and subpoena one of our speakers, they also got to learn the secrets to financial independence and personal wealth without paying the seminar fee :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuVh36vQkSI

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/documentingbtc/status/1440396736409718791?s=21

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
im "airline"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's not how that works

that's not how anything works

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

drk posted:

checking in on our soon to be senator friend:

https://twitter.com/twobitidiot/status/1440427595091247107

years ago when I cared more and had tweetdeck set up with elaborate searches for bitcoins and buttcoins this guy was always showing up in that column and it was all just as stupid. he hasn’t improved in an entire decade

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

an idiot: capitalism is the only way
same idiot: assets only produce value through appreciation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

DocumentingBTC reports on a startling new study indicating that over 63 trillion gigawatts of elephants are being harvested anually as a result of bitcoin. The study corrected for factors such as yellow, and the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop, providing the first clear evidence of a connection between cryptocurrency and the number 7.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lol if bitcoin ever became the standard currency, the best case scenario is that all 21 million bitcoins that can ever exist will eventually end up in the pockets of energy producers

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
all the best & most successful politicians have south park people as their twitter avatars

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

attacking crypto by making you pay tax, such injustice

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Chalks posted:

attacking crypto by making you pay tax, such injustice

is a farmer not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

without tax evasion, crypto is nothing

- future senator Selkis, probably

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/baccredited/status/1440276740647972874

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

could've ended with "i know how stupid i am"

of course he's promoting a "hardware wallet" which is presumably just a usb stick
https://twitter.com/baccredited/status/1440277692767617028

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've bought a jpg of a monkey, and now it's gone! But it has taught me a valuable lesson. Next time, I'll put my valuable jpegs in a password-protected zip file.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This was absolutely not written by a lawyer.

Some blockbro cheaper out on paying one to disrupt the ability to be sued

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I"m actually confused. How exactly can an NFT be "Stolen". What associates the JSON file with a specific wallet?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Beelzebufo posted:

I"m actually confused. How exactly can an NFT be "Stolen". What associates the JSON file with a specific wallet?

Purchase of an NFT is recorded on etherium blockchain as a smart contract transaction. If you have the keys to the wallet, you can 'transfer ownership' of the NFT to a different wallet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beelzebufo posted:

that's kinda the whole point of an NFT, it's a token that the blorkchain says belongs to a particular wallet. the token contains a hash of the JSON file or whatever, the JSON file points to a url of a jpeg or whatever.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Right but you can still get the JSON file anyway right? Like you'd need to be able to to verify the chain.

I guess he lost the ability to resell it (lol)

I guess this is like Rai stones, only they can be stolen behind your back.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
valuable jpegs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

drk posted:

I mean it sounds more like he's fighting 'them' here so I guess this is accurate in that he's gonna lose

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
DO I LOOK LIKE I KNOW WHAT A JSON IS?!

I JUST WANT A NFT OF A GOTDANG HOT DOG!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Alan Smithee posted:

DO I LOOK LIKE I KNOW WHAT A JSON IS?!

I JUST WANT A NFT OF A GOTDANG HOT DOG!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

lol who the gently caress age restricted this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i hadn't actually thought of him only losing the ability to resell the almost certainly randomly generated jpeg because surely if he actually liked the artwork he'd have saved a hard copy to his computer

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ymgve posted:

Hank wouldn't say dang in front of a six year old.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

njsykora posted:

i hadn't actually thought of him only losing the ability to resell the almost certainly randomly generated jpeg because surely if he actually liked the artwork he'd have saved a hard copy to his computer

he posted a list of all the stuff he lost, so not only can you confirm your assumption about random generation (at least one was a real thing created by a human fwiw), you can enjoy all of the art for free with no regard to who owns it

the way he specifically calls out capital gains tax makes me wonder if he's doing a self-exit-scam and using this loud and humiliating mea culpa to protect himself

I really have to keep reminding myself that whenever these dinguses say "$" they mean tethers, because otherwise they have way too much money for their own good

also lol at "this could have been one of three things" followed by "3. something else"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beelzebufo posted:

Right but you can still get the JSON file anyway right? Like you'd need to be able to to verify the chain.

I guess he lost the ability to resell it (lol)

I guess this is like Rai stones, only they can be stolen behind your back.

yeah like any other coin it's a giant public ledger so anyone can see it's in that wallet, what it points to etc. presumably what he meant was they transferred it out of his wallet

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Hammerite posted:

valuable jpegs

where have we heard that one before?

..oh right

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KnifeWrench posted:

also lol at "this could have been one of three things" followed by "3. something else"
"I don't know how this happened. but I definitely got hacked one of these 3 specific ways"

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

ymgve posted:

it's only for people who don't know what a jpeg is

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

drk posted:

I loving hate that "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" quote because every loving loser uses it as if they have the upper hand. insert wint victory wine tweet here

Shame Boy posted:

yeah but that is sure as poo poo gonna be making the rounds whenever cryptocurrencies are discussed.

ryde fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 22, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

first they laugh at you and then they laugh at you and then they laugh at you some more

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
first they laugh at you, then they feel kind of bad for you, then they sue you to stop you from hurting others

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
first they laugh at you, then they feel kind of bad for you, then they try to help you, then when you keep digging down they start pissing in the hole

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They don't know that's how Bitcoin gets his power.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Paladinus posted:

They don't know that's how Bitcoin gets his power.

*guy standing alone atr party*

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
its the same as the "you have enemies? good, you stood up for something" quote, it's usually use by terrible people (and yes this includes Winston Churchill)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Carl Sagan posted:

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.