Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

It taught me the internet is a real place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo after the little weird dudes are done it turns into something else

i think i just got high on twipsy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i agree with you though*, the scoring is antiquated, minus laura's theme and the credits

*i meant to say that a long time ago but things get stuck in my head
I did a rewatch of Twin Peaks a while ago and on average I liked it a lot more but holy hell do I still have issues with so much

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Hiram Grewgious posted:

your scoring is antiquated
Yeah we're scoring with ur mom

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

🙀

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I did a rewatch of Twin Peaks a while ago and on average I liked it a lot more but holy hell do I still have issues with so much

i read something once where david lynch described his creative process, and he basically just comes up with random stream of consciousness ideas for a scene and writes it down - he says the best time for this is early in the morning when you haven't fully woken up yet and your brain is still shuffling through random thoughts. then later he goes through his list of ideas and tries to assemble them in some kind of order. i imagine he gets even more bonkers when there isn't a major network all up in his business, which probably explains why the new twin peaks was so ridiculous, practically beyond enjoyable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

polyester concept posted:

i read something once where david lynch described his creative process, and he basically just comes up with random stream of consciousness ideas for a scene and writes it down

as someone whose profession is built around the concept of methodical iterative refinement as a creative tool, this kind of poo poo pisses me off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, but it's hard to argue with success

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/fb2f9f6014f95b1787be76e9415111e2.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/RfAALUH.mp4

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

as someone whose profession is built around the concept of methodical iterative refinement as a creative tool, this kind of poo poo pisses me off
lol

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

can we make that audio the thread title somehow?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just trying to imagine sagebrushes refined efficiency tv drama

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

echinopsis posted:

Hm, law and order?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Hm, law and order?

like, the entire cbs prime time linup

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

west wing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, i like sorkin. sorkin my own dick

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayc7QOadBa4

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

bless you ellie

blellie

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

echinopsis posted:

I filmed this sheep a few uears ago and made this point les video

https://giant.gfycat.com/TestyHiddenLeafwing.mp4

this is very relaxing. you got a thing for making short soothing animations and stuff :unsmith:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/daveoshry/status/1440280652373381131?s=21

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have had to work around Adobe's Javascript interpreter that they use under hood in some of their products.

They are being far too merciful with Adobe. Get some proper vengeance on those fucks.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
3ds max is a loving janky pile of garbage anyway compared to blender

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

i feel like the reason "good at excel" people are so sought after in office environments is it takes a special genetic variation of brainworms to deal with the tedium nightmare that is programming in general, but then wanting to do it in the most jank, awkward, and inconvenient environment possible

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Trying to reverse engineer someone's Excel sheet is the absolute worst thing

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

DrPossum posted:

i feel like the reason "good at excel" people are so sought after in office environments is it takes a special genetic variation of brainworms to deal with the tedium nightmare that is programming in general, but then wanting to do it in the most jank, awkward, and inconvenient environment possible

Excel is horrible in hindsight, after you have and learn to use the tools that professional programmers use. But for people that have absolutely no experience, Excel is an excellent piece of software that lets them explore the edges of problem solving using approximations of programming concepts that they can then dig more into and start learning (jump from formulae to VBA, for instance). It's a supremely successful low-code tool, and like all low-code tools it's just a stepping stone towards actual programming tools when the problems get more complicated.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Armitag3 posted:

Excel is an excellent piece of software

terrible programming thread is thataway, buddy

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My fav thing about Excel is that there's no way to turn off automatic date formatting, and like an incel, it thinks literally everything is one.

I'm guessing it was hardcoded 30 years ago and no one knows how to stop it now

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Until 365, if you selected a whole bunch of cells in Excel, you couldn't then deselect individual cells.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

its not that they can't fix these things, it's that their userbase are the people who scream themselves hoarse if something doesn't work exactly like it does in their 1995 copy of Excel For Dummies.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 22, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

My fav thing about Excel is that there's no way to turn off automatic date formatting, and like an incel, it thinks literally everything is one.

I'm guessing it was hardcoded 30 years ago and no one knows how to stop it now

tossup between this and if you have a CSV file where the first column header is "ID" excel will treat it as a "sylk file" and gently caress all the formatting up then refuse to treat it as a regular csv

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

polyester concept posted:

the new twin peaks was so ridiculous, practically beyond enjoyable.

what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Zlodo posted:

3ds max is a loving janky pile of garbage anyway compared to blender

i used 3ds max a lot as a teen, it was loving wild back then and way better than bryce or whatever the gently caress. unfortunately i got very used to the workflow/ui on it and didn't really care to relearn for hobby poo poo.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
my favorite is the default format for a long number is scientific notation and once it does that you can’t go back and get your original number again

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzib8rdq_x8&t=108s

lmao & also lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

DrPossum posted:

inb4 y conbinator in excel

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

excel is good, more people being able to automate their tasks is good. programmers only complain because they resent when their status as greasemonkeys is revealed having to write 10kloc of incredibly unsexy framework java to reimplement the thing some rockstar accountant knocked out in a bit of excel a decade ago.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
excel is the most powerful piece of software on every computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i would have made that post the very obvious virgin-chad-meme it is if i could be bothered to figure out if using that template would find me in the company of mostly reddit nazis.