Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oh, dagger fall? cool, nice callback.....for a baby. call me when you've sampled lord Richard garriotts masterpiece, akalabeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

If Skyrim is so bad why did it get released five times? Checkmate

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You chose the wrong Bosmer to mess with!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

here's something i justfound out about old games: they suck rear end.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

b_d posted:

here's something i justfound out about old games: they suck rear end.

Hello old games.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:suicide:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

:allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alaois posted:

i only gently caress with the daggerfall grognards, morrowind stans can die mad

if you're gonna complain about skill crunch and simplified mechanics, at least go back to the real peak of the series

Daggerfall is good and has the best chargen/opening dungeon of all time but it's not actually very fun, or often strictly speaking possible, to play in practice

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I bought all five games for 25 bucks on sale once and made the mistake of starting with Arena. I actually got pretty far into it but then I saved in an impossible situation and my last save was way too far back.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arena is decent as a pretty simple dungeon crawler at heart but Ultima Underworld already existed so I'm not sure why anyone ever played it. Battlespire is good though

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

I played Morrowind first and I think it's an all-time GOTY and a unique gem of a game, then Oblivion came and blew my nutsack off with all the cool poo poo that's going on there, and then there's Skyrim, which was fun for a while but just doesn't come close to the other two games. Morrowind and Oblivion are both just better than Skyrim.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must smoke one last cigarette before Todd blows me off the face of the earth with a tactical drone strike.

same exactly, may Todd have mercy on our souls

lmao

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i think in the end i actually like oblivion better but it's basically unplayable without mods so i'll probably never go back to it.

I think some of the ways Oblivion is "worse" make it more interesting than Skyrim in hindsight now that I understand both games are heavily flawed. The hazy, incredibly generic Fantasy realm, the potato-faced dopes who float around and awkwardly babble nonsense, the janky physics, it feels like you're in a dream.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I think some of the ways Oblivion is "worse" make it more interesting than Skyrim in hindsight now that I understand both games are heavily flawed. The hazy, incredibly generic Fantasy realm, the potato-faced dopes who float around and awkwardly babble nonsense, the janky physics, it feels like you're in a dream.

one thing that sort of works for oblivion somehow is that besides three main characters, it's like the same 10 voice actors who probably did half of it drunk in like one take. there's something about skyrim hiring way more people whose talent levels are all over the place that's off-putting. like wes johnson is there just doing his "WECOME... TO THE ARENA!" voice through a halfass filter as a dremora lord and lynda carter is doing the same, cardboard reading she always does for about half of the housecarls, but then there's like Enn Reitel and Gideon Emery giving 110 percent. also they told all the guards to do some kind of terrible accent.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Seen any...elves? Ahahahahaha!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I saw a mudcrab the other day.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XR6dsy7ATE

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

one thing that sort of works for oblivion somehow is that besides three main characters, it's like the same 10 voice actors who probably did half of it drunk in like one take. there's something about skyrim hiring way more people whose talent levels are all over the place that's off-putting. like wes johnson is there just doing his "WECOME... TO THE ARENA!" voice through a halfass filter as a dremora lord and lynda carter is doing the same, cardboard reading she always does for about half of the housecarls, but then there's like Enn Reitel and Gideon Emery giving 110 percent. also they told all the guards to do some kind of terrible accent.

Yeah it owns. I read somewhere (I think a developer twitter thread) that when the voice actors were given their scripts, each line was printed in alphabetical order instead of in any kind of useful structure, so they had no context for any of their lines as they were saying them. That's why all the spoken dialogue sounds like the audio version of the uncanny valley.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it owns. I read somewhere (I think a developer twitter thread) that when the voice actors were given their scripts, each line was printed in alphabetical order instead of in any kind of useful structure, so they had no context for any of their lines as they were saying them. That's why all the spoken dialogue sounds like the audio version of the uncanny valley.

this is standard, if the voice actors knew the full script, they would copy the game and beat the real game to stores

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this is standard, if the voice actors knew the full script, they would copy the game and beat the real game to stores

lmao. video games a capella

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

*waiting in line at gamestop when I hear a familiar voice over my shoulder*  You ... I've seen you ... Let me see your face... You are the one from my dreams

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one of ralph cosham's lines as it's delivered definitely says "oh, i flubbed it. can i do that take again?" or something similar and they left it in the game, but i can't find it by googling and it's apparently been six years since i finished my complete playthrough of oblivion

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

I imagine it went a little something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9RYgIun9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G92GMLozVE